THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Rigby announces an exciting Dagga Boy competition
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rigby announces an exciting Dagga Boy competition
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm sure this exciting news will perk the interest of AR members and buffalo hunting enthusiasts.
The chance to win a Rigby .416 Rigby and for the PH to win a .450 Rigby just for hunting an old characterful dagga boy will hopefully get the entries flooding in.
Here is the link to the Rigby website where the T & C's are explained.

https://bit.ly/RIGBYDAGGABOYAWARD

Posts: 151 | Location: Southern Africa | Registered: 30 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ll be entering my buff taken at Zambezi Delta Safaris in 2019. Most likely won’t win but doesn’t hurt to enter. I really like hunting the old beat up bulls.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . my guess that some bulls from last years hunt in Uganda are likely to make it into the competition as well.

Mike

Posts: 21090 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
even if you don't win guys, the chance to enjoy some wonderful Rigby hospitality - good Scotch and fine cigars, while rubbing shoulders with like-minded enthusiasts will be worth the effort!
This is a wonderful initiative, please support it!

Posts: 151 | Location: Southern Africa | Registered: 30 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doctari505:
I'm sure this exciting news will perk the interest of AR members and buffalo hunting enthusiasts.
The chance to win a Rigby .416 Rigby and for the PH to win a .450 Rigby just for hunting an old characterful dagga boy will hopefully get the entries flooding in.
Here is the link to the Rigby website where the T & C's are explained.

https://bit.ly/RIGBYDAGGABOYAWARD

Good to see you're still kickin around pal, hope you are well my friend?!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I am well Aaron - and I now live in Boerne TX!

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
So, would something like this would qualify to be entered?

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No - too young. Not sure where this bull was hunted but if from areas around the Zambezi Valley or further south, this bull would be aged in the pre-breeding age category. He is in my opinion early in his 7th year and as such not a 'dagga boy'

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Kevin - An interesting award. And glad you made it to TX - I hope your 505 did too...

I enjoyed your book 'Africa's Most Dangerous" and have started using your characteristics as a measure when I look at buffalo.

I'd be interested to know how these three bulls rate on your "Yes, I'd follow them" scale:

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . when I think old, I think . . .

Mike

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
No - too young. Not sure where this bull was hunted but if from areas around the Zambezi Valley or further south, this bull would be aged in the pre-breeding age category. He is in my opinion early in his 7th year and as such not a 'dagga boy'

Good guess. I got him a month ago at Dande North.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I live in Boerne as well.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that is a very worth candidate Mike - please enter him - a fantastic old bull - looks like he was from up north in Africa somewhere.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi BaxterB - I'm loving Texas, but still waiting for the export permit to get my .505 out of South Africa. Applied last November, but such is the chaos with firearm licences there it has not come through yet.
Would definitely follow the first broken horned bull - he looks to be at least 12 to me and a wonderful specimen.
No. 2 is indeed a spectacular bull but in my opinion he is still of breeding age, so, while hard, I'd pass. Extra special bulls like him need to be afforded every opportunity to breed. He is in the 10 to early 11 yr age group with all the physical traits of a socially dominant bull. He has at least another season or two of breeding potential in him, so let him be. Over this time he'll also develop some character.
No. 3 has that character - he has a look of a post breeding age bull, and I'd age him to be at least 12 + . This would most definitely be a bull to follow!

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kevin - good stuff.

FYI these are all Mt. Kenya/adjacent bulls.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that BaxterB - in that case my age estimates might be a bit out. Such buffalo have a better plain of nutrition due to higher rainfall so they will grow faster and therefore reach sexual maturity sooner, which in turn will make them 'age' earlier.
This competition is going to provide a lot of useful information - being able to match tooth wear to 'signs of age' from bulls all over Africa is going to be a fantastic and very useful.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now that is a very worth candidate Mike - please enter him - a fantastic old bull - looks like he was from up north in Africa somewhere.

Karamojo area in Uganda. A scrum cap Nile.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now here's a hunting competition to get fired up about! Totally honors the animal & encourages taking the oldest one possible.

This is exactly the type of thing we should find ways to do more of. Thanks Kevin!

Posts: 429 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Baker458:
Now here's a hunting competition to get fired up about! Totally honors the animal & encourages taking the oldest one possible.

This is exactly the type of thing we should find ways to do more of. Thanks Kevin!

Who knows that SCI won't jump on the bandwagon and create a new entry for the Record Book and an additional award for the oldest and shittiest looking buffalo of the year. rotflmo

Posts: 1868 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fulvio: Good call... The Inner Circle of ratty buffalo bulls. If you shoot 10 of them and pay $14,000 you can get basically the same plaque your son got from his 8-and-under soccer team. Then you proceed to tell everyone at the cocktail party about the incredible "award" that you've been honored with LOL.

Unfortunately, this won't work here. The guys that go in for this are all about SCORE and number of species killed. If one of these "award" types list off 6 or more "high scores" at the cocktail party, it's been clinically proven that they can forget a "tiny dick" for 8 minutes.

Also clinically proven that their wife will, unfortunately, not forget the "tiny dick" for even seconds.

Posts: 429 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great competition! Not that I needed an excuse to chase an old dagga boy...

Posts: 103 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
. . . when I think old, I think . . .

You won.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9846 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If these busted up scrum-caps are now the fashion it looks like happy days for the PH. Big Grin

I remember the days when clients wanted nothing under 40"

We would only be shooting these busted up fellows for bait and once the tongue had been extracted, the skull was chucked out for the scavengers to pick on.

Posts: 1868 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
If these busted up scrum-caps are now the fashion it looks like happy days for the PH. Big Grin

I remember the days when clients wanted nothing under 40"

We would only be shooting these busted up fellows for bait and once the tongue had been extracted, the skull was chucked out for the scavengers to pick on.

Pretty much exactly how I see them. How these became trophies is beyond me. Just being old and broken doesn't a trophy make.

But, to each his own.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3342 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I love the old bulls, but I do like mine to have horns! Big Grin

Not knocking anyone else's idea of a trophy, as that is a personal thing. And there is a kind of ruggedness in a scrum cap that I respect.

I once visited the home of an old German fellow who lived on a large game ranch in Namibia.

Every mount on his walls was a skull mount, and all of them were more or less grotesquely deformed in the horn department.

He was more of a culler than a hunter - yet he still mounted his "trophies!"

Each man to his own taste.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13328 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can set out to find a scrum cap or a 40 inch bull. The hunt could be equally challenging. It depends on what you think is a trophy. Personally, I prefer redheads!

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just like hunting buffalo, so if I'm hunting cats and they are old, decision made. If I'm not hunting cats, I can get selective. I've always wanted an old bull worn perfectly smooth with blunt tips. Or, one with deep drops like a 1960's hairdo. But in the end, any old bull is fine with me. I just like hunting them.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
47 inch pick-up. North Luangwa

Pick up North Kafue

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Battle-scarred and roman nose. North Luangwa

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

Administrator
posted Hide Post
A proper competition.

Non of your silly BIGGER IS BETTER bullshit!

Broken horns! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66751 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Who won and what is the story with the winning bull? I believe the announcement was supposed to be today.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really thought that you had it in the bag Dos Ninos!

Posts: 1782 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was there. Hunter was Frank (forget last name) and PH was Myles McCallum (I think).

I hope they post a photo of the crew and the author supplied story. For that matter I’d be fine if they posted the top five finalists photos and stories.

Derrick

Administrator
posted Hide Post
SCI and their Self Glorification Awards eat your hearts out!

What a good buffalo trophy should look like.

Nothing to do with Mine Is Bigger Than Yours. clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66751 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:

Boerne is not far from where Finn Aagaard settled on the old Buttery ranch

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to the team that won the award. However I felt there should have been a recognition for each distinct species of buffalo, as they are very different animals and so is is their habitat, lifespan (am sure) and difficulty in hunting! I am sure many cape buff were enterered as those are a dime a doz when compared to say a dwarf forest buffalo!

Arjun Reddy
Hunters Networks LLC
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: +1 845 259 3628

SCI Booth 1751 (Las Vegas 19th to 22nd January, 2022)
Western Hunting and Conservation Expo Booth 444 (Utah 10th to 13th February)

Posts: 2531 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rigby will be releasing a press release in this regard soon.

Picture of jssafari
posted Hide Post
Hi Kevin,
Please keep us posted re the press release - one of my clients entered a buffalo he shot with me in 2019.
Blessings,
John

Posts: 17 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 08 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jssafari:
Hi Kevin,
Please keep us posted re the press release - one of my clients entered a buffalo he shot with me in 2019.
Blessings,
John

Do you have a photo?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John Sharp's client, Ronald Geier from Austria, took the buf in the Bubeye Conservancy in 2019.

Posts: 1297 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote