Find
Notify
Tools

Drawing for Buffalo raffle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Good morning all.

All the tickets for the buff raffle have been sold. I see no point in waiting until February 1 to do the drawing.

I am traveling at the moment. As soon as I can connect with my office , we will do the drawing .

The AWCC and me personally appreciate the participation in this event.

Posts: 11908 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Excellent effort Larry!

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9846 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The drawing has been made . The winning number is #22.

Gustavo Arvelo is the winner. He purchased 18 tickets!

Congrats to Gustavo.

Posts: 11908 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to Gustavo and thanks to you, Larry for handling. But I do wish I had won...

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well , we may have another drawing . I am verifying the meaning of the text I just got which I interpreted as Gustavo can’t go.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay. I just got confirmation Gustavo can not go. I drew a second number .

The number is 49. Michael Robinson.

Congrats Michael.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Okay. I just got confirmation Gustavo can not go. I drew a second number .

The number is 49. Michael Robinson.

Congrats Michael.

The luck of the dog! Hope he invites me as an observer.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I am wonderfully surprised to have won this raffle. (Although the only two raffles I have ever won, including this one, have been here on AR!)

As I know we all are, I'm grateful to the generous owners of Chapungu-Kambako Safaris and Trophy Quest Botswana for donating the hunt, and thereby raising US$29,000 for the benefit of the Smythe family, and also to Larry Shores for generously organizing the entire effort. And I know we all appreciate our host here on AR, Saeed al Maktoum, for maintaining this website and for his support of this worthy effort.

I do feel bad for Gustavo, as it must have been disappointing for him that he could not go on this hunt.

If only this could have been under different circumstances, and Phil had survived the attack and be recuperating right now. Peace and good will to his wife and family during these hard times and in the years ahead.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Mike!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3501 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Huge Congrats!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ready Aim Shoot
posted Hide Post
mrlexma-hunt report when you get back.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the time and effort putting this all on, and then congratulations are in order.

Best of luck on the hunt and glad this raised a lot of money!

Posts: 133 | Location: B.C. Canada  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
clap Congratulations!!!!

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
Congratulations

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Woohoo tu2

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3013 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Awesome

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Michael.

Posts: 1853 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats, Michael!

Thank you again, Larry for coordinating

Posts: 103 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for you!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1094 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all.

We will need to document this with plenty of photography so that we can share it with all interested AR members. My wife takes care of that. I hope that this won't involve the need for a new camera! Big Grin

I'm also thinking that, with this happy raffle result, I may have to buy some shotgun tickets, and some more elephant hunt tickets, too! Wink I know that would be pushing my luck pretty hard, but at least the money will go to Phil's family in a time of pressing need.

We will need to work out the timing with the outfitter - post-vaccination would be best, I think, but under current conditions, I have no idea when we can expect that to be. I'm sure there are other travel issues we can expect, but I hope they won't be too difficult to deal with.

I know I want to fly Emirates again, that's for sure.

Also, we will need to sort out all the usual stuff that goes into planning a safari (which we did not think we'd be doing this year).

At least I have plenty of brass, large magnum rifle primers, RL-15 and Barnes bullets!

They say that a safari can be divided into three parts: Planning; Experience; and Remembrance.

Experience naturally comes in first place, but I have always put Planning in second, just ahead of Remembrance.

Now, to start figuring this all out. Any advice will be welcome.

Thanks.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Thanks, all.

We will need to document this with plenty of photography so that we can share it with all interested AR members. My wife takes care of that. I hope that this won't involve the need for a new camera! Big Grin

I'm also thinking that, with this happy raffle result, I may have to buy some shotgun tickets, and some more elephant hunt tickets, too! Wink I know that would be pushing my luck pretty hard, but at least the money will go to Phil's family in a time of pressing need.

We will need to work out the timing with the outfitter - post-vaccination would be best, I think, but under current conditions, I have no idea when we can expect that to be. I'm sure there are other travel issues we can expect, but I hope they won't be too difficult to deal with.

I know I want to fly Emirates again, that's for sure.

Also, we will need to sort out all the usual stuff that goes into planning a safari (which we did not think we'd be doing this year).

At least I have plenty of brass, large magnum rifle primers, RL-15 and Barnes bullets!

They say that a safari can be divided into three parts: Planning; Experience; and Remembrance.

Experience naturally comes in first place, but I have always put Planning in second, just ahead of Remembrance.

Now, to start figuring this all out. Any advice will be welcome.

Thanks.

Do not dismiss Ethiopian Air.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know, Andrew - Emirates sets an awfully high bar. But I will look into it. Thanks.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, Emirates is not going to happen.

They have canceled their non-stop flights between Boston and Dubai.

Ethiopian flights are multi-stop, circuitous and, for some reason, ridiculously expensive.

Looking at BA and Qatar now.

Thank God for Steve Turner at TWG.

Qatar seems more promising.

Better than BA in all of the three C’s: cost, comfort and convenience.

The only problem I see is that no one seems to know how to pronounce “Qatar” . . . Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I have settled on Qatar Airways, that is, if the hypochondriacal U.S. government permits us to travel there and come back home afterwards.

Anyway, our tickets are bought and paid for.

Also, I have made a deal with Jumbo Moore for 5 more days and a chance at a second Chobe Cape buffalo. After so many years of the Botswana government's hunting moratorium, I would think there should be some big old bulls out there roaming around.

Again, assuming that Sleepy Joe just stays the hell out of it.

I may have to change my flights to transit Mexico City. This is getting ridiculous.

Travel is becoming more difficult than getting and surviving the virus.

But that's all just bitching and moaning. I feel embarrassed about even doing it and will henceforth shut up about it.

I truly wish the circumstances could have been different.

I can only hope that the money we all spent on raffle tickets will help Phil's family going forward.

God bless them.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got pics. Someone got a very nice bull. Congrats my friend.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Great to hear... couldn't happen to a nicer gentleman.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7510 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to Mike! Looking forward to reading all about it soon!

Posts: 3833 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Great stuff.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes - thanks! I am happy to report that we killed two old dugga boys while hunting with Thys de Vries in his CH8 concession in Botswana’s Chobe District.

These were tough and challenging tracking hunts. We followed several bulls through many miles of thick mopane forests and grasslands.

We came up empty handed as often as not, but Thys and his excellent trackers managed to get us within close range of two big, old dugga boys, one of which fell to my .450 Rigby and the other to my .500 A-Square.

We finished hunting early, so we flew to the Okavango Delta and are relaxing now for a few days at a nice lodge.

I will post a full report with photos when we get back home.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes - thanks! I am happy to report that we killed two old dugga boys while hunting with Thys de Vries in his CH8 concession in Botswana’s Chobe District.

These were tough and challenging tracking hunts. We followed several bulls through many miles of thick mopane forests and grasslands.

We came up empty handed as often as not, but Thys and his excellent trackers managed to get us within close range of two big, old dugga boys, one of which fell to my .450 Rigby and the other to my .500 A-Square.

We finished hunting early, so we flew to the Okavango Delta and are relaxing now for a few days at a nice lodge.

Well done Mike and look forward to the reporrt.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:

Great! You got the two-fer on buffalo - one with each of your big bores!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Congrats Mike, looking forward to your report and no doubt the wife's excellent photo's!

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Full report here: BOTSWANA - 2021 - PHIL SMYTHE MEMORIAL CAPE BUFFALO SAFARI REPORT

Mike