New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elephant culling in Zim
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 11924 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If they start culling, who will get the to stop when the objective is reached.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1095 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Larry, I do believe that Zimbabwe has been looking at culling elephants for a while to reduce the over population.

They are starting to notice a destruction of plants life in the parks and the reduced game count of other game animals. People who come on the photo tours want to see more game animals than just elephants.

This is no different than before, they just need to start the butcher plants and cannery up and then put a plan in place to distribute the meat to the villages. Canned meat would be easier to distribute to the areas villages.

I do think that I read about a hippo cull in Zambia (I did receive a e-mail on this looking at 600+ hippo and you would be able to shoot 5 for a very low pricing) and a lion reduction in some select areas in Zimbabwe (this was going to be in parks culling).

Maybe with the shut down Zimbabwe will start to implement long awaited elephant cull. The difficult part is having the equipment and vehicles available to move the entire elephant family to a butcher plant

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1566 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having personally witnessed the destruction the over population causes on numerous occasions, I can totally see why they would want to cull.

Posts: 11924 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Just for the outcry from the zombies now!

I suggest Zimbabwe state how many elephants they need to get rid of, and anyone who opposes culling can buy and transport them home! jumping

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66825 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell of an idea Saeed.

The most basic thing in conservation is taking care of the land. The elephants are, in many cases, absolutely destroying the land. Certain species cannot survive the destruction.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Discussing culling with PH’s, the few who have done it, hate it. It needs to be done, and PH’s tend to be the best at getting that dirty job done.

Hopefully they do it.

Anyone who knows what to look for sees evidence of it in most areas in current elephant range.

Any person who wants to participate is probably not someone who should be involved. If you feel nothing gunning down baby elephants, you are not right in the head.

And that is part of culling elephant. Shooting the females and the young.

There are some here who are probably skilled enough to help. I doubt any would want to do it, but would if asked.

No way would I pay to do it, or want someone who was willing to pay for it doing it.

Posts: 10502 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana338:
Canned meat would be easier to distribute to the areas villages.

Bwanna,
Had a conversation with our PH last year about cull hunts. As stated elsewhere he said he hates doing them but understands why they need to be done. Now to the quoted part of your statement: The WWF was helping them and others in the Save with a cull, and the WWF wanted all the meat in 2 kg vacuum sealed packages. Sounds good on the outside, but as the safari outfitters had to point out, if you cut up a bunch of elephants, all that plastic will end up just being thrown on the ground. WWF rethought their request and just distributed the meat as they normally would have. Not sure where a bunch of cans would end up, but the problem would be similar. The damage we saw last year in the Save was pretty bad and many days trees had to be moved from the roads just to get around.

Posts: 747 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
South Africa needs to get busy with a cull in the KNP before the habitat is destroyed!

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking YouTube LIVE channel and a solid dash of Jim Bakker posted on all the Greenie sites...

If you don't donate $50,000 to save this Elephant, IT WILL BE STRUCK DOWN!

Let the money flow!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2311 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in Matetsi last summmer, unit 1. One day we saw over 150 elephants.

Every day we had to move trees they had knocked down and blocked the roads.

Seems to me it wouldn't be long until there were no trees at that rate....

Jeff

Posts: 93 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 07 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I can’t wait for the pissing and moaning of the antis and greenies to begin - all while they’re cocooned in their fantasy worlds and furiously pecking the keys on their iPads.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13351 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Discussing culling with PH’s, the few who have done it, hate it. It needs to be done, and PH’s tend to be the best at getting that dirty job done.

Hopefully they do it.

Anyone who knows what to look for sees evidence of it in most areas in current elephant range.

Any person who wants to participate is probably not someone who should be involved. If you feel nothing gunning down baby elephants, you are not right in the head.

And that is part of culling elephant. Shooting the females and the young.

There are some here who are probably skilled enough to help. I doubt any would want to do it, but would if asked.

No way would I pay to do it, or want someone who was willing to pay for it doing it.

Indeed.

This is something I do - culling deer, not eles, and yes its not nice and anyone who actually likes it has a screw loose. I shoot females and kids through the winter and that's OK done piecemeal - you can be surgical and pick shots, but moving herds into confined areas and picking them off is really horrible. You can see the fear and distress in the animals an dit really does affect you.

I have been among herds of ele and buff when hunting and there is of course always the frisson of the "it's them or me" debate to be had but when adequately armed and experienced the balance is always on your side.

There have been a couple of instances in the recent past when large scale deer culls have made the headlines - thousands of animals taken, helicopters and automatic weapons used - which have not gone down well - on the part of the hunting fraternity. In this case, weirdly, the "antis" thought this was a good idea - WTF??? I do know of other culls which have taken place where near 20k deer were taken in less than 2 years under similar circumstances - just slipped under the radar,

In all of these circumstances, and the one in question, the whole thing could have been avoided by better management of the whole population from the outset - something the antis just can't get their head around.

Species, ecosystems, habitats - these are important - not individual animals - whether they are called "Cecil" or not.

Best

Posts: 192 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
I have had a some blood thirsty individuals come through my camp that would pay to do it. They never will come back! People like that are disturbed and insecure. Something like that should never be advertised.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote