Notify
Tools

Dogs in Africa. A debate.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Like Tree'm,

I come from a long line of houndsmen. Hound hunting pre-dates baiting in history for sure (as our ancestors would have just eaten the bait Wink).

Hound hunting is just a different kind of hunt than a baited hunt and it is hard to compare.

To fully appreciate hound hunting...one must appreciate what it takes to put together a good set of cat dogs {or coon dogs or fox dogs or bear dogs or coyote dogs or bird dogs (which may require the most skill to train)} and realize it takes skill and knowledge to train them. A good houndsman can listen to his dogs and know exactly what is going on "on the track."

Personally, I find hound hunting way more sporting than bait and blind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36417 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I never thought of that comparison but it is a good one. tu2

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Like Tree'm,

I come from a long line of houndsmen. Hound hunting pre-dates baiting in history for sure (as our ancestors would have just eaten the bait Wink).

Hound hunting is just a different kind of hunt than a baited hunt and it is hard to compare.

To fully appreciate hound hunting...one must appreciate what it takes to put together a good set of cat dogs {or coon dogs or fox dogs or bear dogs or coyote dogs or bird dogs (which may require the most skill to train)} and realize it takes skill and knowledge to train them. A good houndsman can listen to his dogs and know exactly what is going on "on the track."

Personally, I find hound hunting way more sporting than bait and blind.

Dr. Easter,

I didn't think of it that way either. Wow. I won't comment further, but you made an excellent point.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Huffaker:

Why is it some folks think it's unethical to hunt cats with dogs but the same people won't hesitate to hunt birds with dogs?

Cats can't fly...

Cool

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Victor Watson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
quote:

Why is it some folks think it's unethical to hunt cats with dogs but the same people won't hesitate to hunt birds with dogs?

Cats can't fly...

Cool

Birds can't bite your arm off

:-)

Victor Watson
Karoo Wild Safaris
Email: info@karoowildsafaris.co.za
Cell: (+27) 721894588
www.karoowildsafaris.co.za

Posts: 382 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane

Coons, Foxes, Bears & Coyotes are not indigenous to Africa and that they may have (and still) being hunted with dogs since ancestral times is besides the point. Ethics weren't much of an issue back then either.

Bird dogs are a different/specific breed of hound altogether, follow genetic blood lines (as you know) and do not require excessive training unless one wants them to be competitive and participate in shows.
They are "designed" to point and flush (preferably on command)and not to chase and/or catch the bird, other than retrieve a dead or wounded one.

Bird hunting without the assistance from such dogs (depending on the bird being hunted) can produce some dismal results. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the more reason to hunt them with dogs....

Posts: 10097 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Victor Watson:
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
quote:

Cats can't fly...

Cool

Birds can't bite your arm off

:-)

Well, there is that...

Cool

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
Lane

Coons, Foxes, Bears & Coyotes are not indigenous to Africa

What does that have to do with anything Fujo???

and that they may have (and still) being hunted with dogs since ancestral times is besides the point. Ethics weren't much of an issue back then either.

As far as I am concerned...NOTHING unethical about trailing cats with dogs...my family been doing it for generations.

Bird dogs are a different/specific breed of hound altogether, follow genetic blood lines (as you know) and do not require excessive training unless one wants them to be competitive and participate in shows.

That is entirely incorrect Fujo. As having been part of training probably a 100 of each...very similar in how you select a bloodline of a hound or a pointer as well as in training. And both require training...if they are good ones anyway.

They are "designed" to point and flush (preferably on command)and not to chase and/or catch the bird, other than retrieve a dead or wounded one.

They are bread for that and then that natural ability/instinct is built upon...and it is EXACTLY the same for trailing dogs.

Bird hunting without the assistance from such dogs (depending on the bird being hunted) can produce some dismal results. Wink

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36417 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have absolutely ZERO interest in hunting leopards with dogs.

I love ducking hunting and bird hunting with dogs, but I'm not interested to hunt any of the big cats with dogs. I have no issue with it, just not my thing.

I do like using dogs in Africa for tracking wounded plains game. I have hunted with jack russell terriers in Namibia that were awesome. Those little dogs were fearless. They believe they are lions.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1281 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by martin pieters:
I am with Andrew on this one.....would I book one, yes......would I personally guide it, no
My preference is the challenge offered and the excitement gleamed from a bait and blind hunt.
Each to their own as they offer different experiences.
Cheers

Please explain the challenges one might face sitting in a blind for leopard.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66768 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I'm with Dr. Easter and Saeed. Hunting large wild cats with dogs is not as easy as those who have not done much of it may think.

I've not hunted lion or leopard in Africa with hounds, but I have spent the best months of my life chasing mountain lions on foot and horseback in some of Arizona's roughest and most dangerous terrain.

It was exciting and downright scary to hear lions roar at the bait in Zambia as we walked toward the lion in my avatar in the dark.

However, it was not as challenging as following the cold trail of a mountain lion for three miles across two or three 1,500-foot-deep canyons and having to leave the horses and run up a 1,000-foot peak when the track gets hot and the cat is finally treed.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
Saeed

Challenges to maximise success:

Locating a good track and then ' working out' his territory.
Siting a bait so that he feels ' at ease' coming in to feed.
Siting your blind so as to maximise your chances with wind, cover, approach and shoot angle
Keeping quiet enough for long enough sometimes when it is very cold for long hours ( private land with clever ranch cats )

There are several other factors that add to the excitement.

There are many challenges hence my personal preference..like I said would I book a hound hunt yes, would I guide it no.

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
[QUOTE]

Whatever country I am hunting, I hunt the way they do.

If there is any particular animal or method I do not agree with, I won't do it.

My choice.

And I have no right to tell others how to do it.

Amen! tu2

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2787 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saeed

Siting your blind so as to maximise your chances with wind, cover, approach and shoot angle
Keeping quiet enough for long enough sometimes when it is very cold for long hours ( private land with clever ranch cats )

There are many challenges hence my personal preference..like I said would I book a hound hunt yes, would I guide it no.

Thank you.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66768 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saeed

If you substitute "water hole" for bait and "plains game" for cat, would you consider it a challenging hunt?

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WannabeBwana:
quote:
Saeed

If you substitute "water hole" for bait and "plains game" for cat, would you consider it a challenging hunt?

Absolutely no comparison between leopard over bait and plainsgames over water hole.

In some areas in Africa there may only be 2 or 3 water holes over very large areas. Most plainsgames must go to water daily. A leopard doesn't NEED to eat your bait. He can find his how dinner. An awful lot of leopard baits rot in trees untouched. Good luck finding an untouched waterhole in the dry parts of Africa. An big, old tom leopard is a smart critter. Leopard hunting is a chess match. Comparing it to sitting on a waterhole waiting on Kudu or warthog to come take their daily drink is a joke.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1281 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
1. I abhor and find the practice of hunting whitetail deer in the US and Canada out of a "blind or hide" near a feeder. This is baiting the animal pure and simple and a method to train/change the behavour of the animal to come to a specific place at a specific time to get unearned food.

Not an attack on anyone, I just merely noticed this one comment in particular and while not trying to derail the issue of the OP, but here in America, I have noticed that many folks feel the same way as stated in the above comment, but it only seems they feel that way toward shooting deer like that.

The majority seem to have no problem hunting Black Bear via that method. As a odd side note to that, while the majority of Texans have no trouble hunting from stands watching a feeder for deer/pigs, many I have talked to, claim that hunting a bear by that same method is somehow wrong.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speaks to how different settings and locations seem to have a different ethics rule book.

Bottom line - Get out and hunt, put food on the table and don't suffer the fools who tell you how you should do it.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
And once again, our extreme fearless leader has hit the nail on the head.

Why do some of us believe that Everyone that hunts should embrace another persons own individualistic set of "Ethics"?

The only way anyoned is "Forced" to hunt in a manner they deem "Un-Ethical" is if they choose to.

Personally. other than a couple of quail hunts and hunting ducks where a retriever was used, I have never been all that keen about hunting anything with dogs, but that is just my own personal belief, for those that enjoy it I say go for it.

quote:
quote:
How far do we take this, is my question.

You have it right there.

People hunt all over the world.

What one lot consider a great way of hunting, others might consider a ridiculous extreme.

What one lot considers the best way of hunting, others might consider it being shameful.

Who is right, and who is wrong??

I follow a very simple procedure.

Whatever country I am hunting, I hunt the way they do.

If there is any particular animal or method I do not agree with, I won't do it.

My choice.

And I have no right to tell others how to do it.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saeed

The challenge for me is that Leopard is secretive by nature and you require many days to hunt this wily cat. It is a good hunting method and you will work for this animal. Emotions fluctuate wildly and the hunt can be both frustrating and electric. You have to outwit what is essentially a clever animal.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9846 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
It always becomes quite obvious when you see a topic like this, how many have formed sweeping opinions about things they have no personal knowledge about. They also do not factor in how much terrain and the local environment/vegetation factor into certain hunting practices.

The other thing I think many forget is that there is a big difference between just getting some animals in to feed on bait and getting THE specific animal into a bait. The outsized, older specimens of most species are a lot more difficult to get the jump on than a run-of-the mill animal.

I use to think about some methods of hunting in a pretty narrow way, but as years went by and I traveled and hunted different areas. Moved to several different places and became more familiar with things. Well my views changed. There are places and species where baiting is required or you may as well just forget hunting for them as it would be just a chance encounter.

Hunting mountain lion without dogs is virtually pointless in most instances. They do not come to bait in North America....... although I have been told that they will come in to bait in South American countries.

Hunting for a huge old boar black bear in fairly flat heavily forested country is extremely difficult without baiting. You do not have the luxury of open slopes, slides and big logging blocks to glass for bears at a distance.

Hunting in areas where most of the land is privately owned puts restrictions on how you can hunt. You cannot just rove around trespassing at will to pursue a particular animal. You cannot use dogs for the same reason.

Some of the vast brush country in Texas would be virtually unhuntable if they landowners did not use a cat to clear areas in the thick bush and plant food plots or bait. It would be hard to kill any deer in those areas, never mind see enough of them to select a good buck.

As with most baiting situations I have run across, just killing an animal at a bait is not difficult........... but killing an old, well educated older male is often extremely difficult, even with the bait.

So all in all............. there are many factors that need to be considered in any given hunting situation before one passes judgement on why a particular method is used. And, when it comes to difficulty, there are different types of difficulty.......... physical, psychological and knowledge/experience based with relation to outsmarting a particular species.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
When leopard hunting from a blind, the only way you're going to have any real danger from the cat is if you screw the shot up.

Or an elephant stands on your head.

rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I feel that hunting an animal with a dog or with dogs is as close to nature and the natural way as it can get. There is a bond and communication between man and beast as it was since beginning of mankind. There is a definite excitement to the chase and a pace to it that is like no other. While some may cast a negative judgement on it others do not.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clayman216:
I feel that hunting an animal with a dog or with dogs is as close to nature and the natural way as it can get. There is a bond and communication between man and beast as it was since beginning of mankind. There is a definite excitement to the chase and a pace to it that is like no other. While some may cast a negative judgement on it others do not.

In wild Africa I cannot see dogs lasting very long and would succumb to Lion or the tsetse fly.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
I will not hunt Leopard or any predator with dogs, the animal just do not have a fair chance to escape. Following up on a wounded animal with dogs is fine as it will help to put the wounded animal out of his misery a lot quicker.

I am also not a fan of sitting in a blind waiting for an animal - I fall asleep Big Grin

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaco Human:
I will not hunt Leopard or any predator with dogs, the animal just do not have a fair chance to escape. Following up on a wounded animal with dogs is fine as it will help to put the wounded animal out of his misery a lot quicker.

I am also not a fan of sitting in a blind waiting for an animal - I fall asleep Big Grin

Confirm you don't kill many Leopard Jaco?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by clayman216:

In wild Africa I cannot see dogs lasting very long and would succumb to Lion or the tsetse fly.

The hunting of Leopard with dogs is relatively new as some bright spark thought if it was successful in sending a Cougar, Caracal, Lynx or whatever up a tree, it should work just as well with Leopard (it does).

Am I right in saying this practice is conducted mostly on private land and more likely cattle ranches whose livestock gets frequently ravaged by these predators causing bucket-loads of grief to the rancher?

In Africa hunting dogs have never been in fashion save the village mongrels that are used by locals to capture the odd Duiker for the pot or at worse by poachers, to herd game towards trap lines.

Those being used by South African/Zimbo outfitters are imported breeds mainly from the USA, the same that are used in hunting Cougars, etc. and as Andrew has mentioned, may be prone to diseases not common in the US.

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

rotflmo

Posts: 2634 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I have seen quite a few leopard while hunting, on 1 occasion I hunted with an member of AR, that has now sadly passed on, he was busy getting on the sticks to take a very nice Impala ram when a Leopard took the Impala 50 meters from us. On the same concession I have seen Leopard twice in a tree and on one occasion busy chasing an Impala. I have never hunted a Leopard, if I had a permit I could have shot one at least on 3 occasions.

Unfortunately I cannot sit still in a blind, I get very bored and fall asleep, a ph cannot afford that. Luckily for me most of my clients do not want to sit in a blind, I personally prefer to walk and stalk. Every time I had to sit in a blind with a bow hunter I had to keep myself very busy to ensure that I do not get drowsy

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venture South
posted Hide Post
quote:
It always becomes quite obvious when you see a topic like this, how many have formed sweeping opinions about things they have no personal knowledge about. They also do not factor in how much terrain and the local environment/vegetation factor into certain hunting practices.

The other thing I think many forget is that there is a big difference between just getting some animals in to feed on bait and getting THE specific animal into a bait. The outsized, older specimens of most species are a lot more difficult to get the jump on than a run-of-the mill animal.

I use to think about some methods of hunting in a pretty narrow way, but as years went by and I traveled and hunted different areas. Moved to several different places and became more familiar with things. Well my views changed. There are places and species where baiting is required or you may as well just forget hunting for them as it would be just a chance encounter.

Hunting mountain lion without dogs is virtually pointless in most instances. They do not come to bait in North America....... although I have been told that they will come in to bait in South American countries.

Hunting for a huge old boar black bear in fairly flat heavily forested country is extremely difficult without baiting. You do not have the luxury of open slopes, slides and big logging blocks to glass for bears at a distance.

Hunting in areas where most of the land is privately owned puts restrictions on how you can hunt. You cannot just rove around trespassing at will to pursue a particular animal. You cannot use dogs for the same reason.

Some of the vast brush country in Texas would be virtually unhuntable if they landowners did not use a cat to clear areas in the thick bush and plant food plots or bait. It would be hard to kill any deer in those areas, never mind see enough of them to select a good buck.

As with most baiting situations I have run across, just killing an animal at a bait is not difficult........... but killing an old, well educated older male is often extremely difficult, even with the bait.

So all in all............. there are many factors that need to be considered in any given hunting situation before one passes judgement on why a particular method is used. And, when it comes to difficulty, there are different types of difficulty.......... physical, psychological and knowledge/experience based with relation to outsmarting a particular species.

tu2 Very well written Skyline. You hit the nail on the head

I feel the point of my first post may have been missed.

There is nothing wrong with baiting. But you are not going to get a clever cat to come in to a bait once he knows what its all about.
Hounds on the other hand can target a specific cat and address the problem directly.

Either way, these are both viable and successful ways to target cats and both should be employed as the need arises.

For my 2 cents, the bond between hound and man will never be broken, and our mutual love of the chase will forever ensure that we take up the track together.

Specialist Outfitters and Big Game Hounds

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Winston Churchill

Posts: 779 | Location: Namibia Caprivi Strip | Registered: 13 November 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have never hunted with dogs in Africa. However, I have deer hunted the swamps with them in Alabama, coon hunted with dogs for fur in my teen years with a neighbor who owned the dogs. Bird hunted with friends who owned dogs. I will say that in these instances I felt it sporting however, I would never do it again.
I have no problem with those that want to use dogs, but the skill lies in the dog not the hunter. All the hunter need do is keep up. Oh, and shoot straight.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
The way I see it. If I go to Texas to hunt Im not going to guide the guide.
If were after whitetail Im going to listen to the locals as Ive never hunted them before.
The same goes for cougar in New mexico . Bears in Alaska. Ibex, bongo in the forest wild pigs in Pau Pau new Guinean.

As hunters we travel the world to experience new areas, new peoples and different hunting styles. Its all part of what we do.

So if a particular animal is hunted with dogs in a particular area then who the hell are we, from totally different backgrounds and cultures, to tell them that their normal and legal method is wrong ?
I go hunting for the experience and try to learn as much as I can from the local PH.

all I know is that hunting is never a guarantee.
my 2c worth

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Feeding and baiting are not allowed in Oregon, and the PETA folks managed to have the use of hounds banned for mountain lion, predictably resulting in a big increase in lion numbers here. I am not a hound man, but always thought this had its place and am sorry to see it no longer an option except in cases where a cougar has already killed pets or livestock.
I'm kind of with Saeed on this. Hunt the way the locals do unless it doesn't seem right to you personally.
I personally can't see any reward in shooting a bear from a stand when it has its head in a garbage can, nor a deer eating corn whizzing out of a mechanical feeder. But if folks want to do it, that's just fine.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Really surprised that Mountain Lion do not respond to bait?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
fairgame:

There are exceptions, of course, but mountain lions seldom eat anything they've not killed. They also usually will abandon their own kills when the meat gets "ripe."

For those who say a cat does not have a fair chance to escape a pack of hounds, I say they haven't hunted mountain lions on dry ground in our rough canyon country very much. It sometimes can be ridiculously easy, especially with snow, but nearly always the cats have all the advantage.
"

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:

Well said and obviously from someone who has been-there-and-done-that.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:
Originally posted by Venture South:
Hunting with hounds is the only reliable way to control a population of cats. Especially where there is human/wildlife conflict.

A well trained pack will secure a cat long enough to judge it and then make a decision to kill or not.

To my mind, hunting leopard with hounds is the most selective way it can be done.

The same applies to a Leopard on bait, the difference being the cat is not under stress and is oblivious that it is being assessed.
The hunter is thus able to accept or decline the quarry and in the case of multiple feeders (which happens from time to time), the hunter also has the opportunity to wait for the right one to show.

Do you think no one has ever pulled the dogs off a treed cat? Do you think that every cat that is treed gets shot?

It's just as easy to decline a treed animal and wait for the right one.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venture South
posted Hide Post
quote:
For those who say a cat does not have a fair chance to escape a pack of hounds, I say they haven't hunted mountain lions on dry ground in our rough canyon country very much. It sometimes can be ridiculously easy, especially with snow, but nearly always the cats have all the advantage.

Well said.
I think that in many cases hunting with hounds is judged by people that have no experience of the practice they are supposedly qualified to condemn.
What a sad state of affairs

Specialist Outfitters and Big Game Hounds

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Winston Churchill

Posts: 779 | Location: Namibia Caprivi Strip | Registered: 13 November 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Venture South:
quote:

Well said.
I think that in many cases hunting with hounds is judged by people that have no experience of the practice they are supposedly qualified to condemn.
What a sad state of affairs

Ian,

No one here is condemning the practise outright but there are wide ranging differences of opinion. Quite a few African countries do not allow the method and there are many country to country variables.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal