Find
Notify
Tools

Zim perimeter fenced ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen,

Thoughts/opinions on perimeter fenced hunting on “smaller” ( 60,000 - 80,000 acres, give or take ) properties in Zim, ie: some offerings in SVC, among others ?
I understand with a good operator it’s fair chase but never having done it, how is the experience ?
How does it compare to the Selous, Masailand or large areas in Moz ?
My interest lies in the prices of some of the buff hunts being tossed around. Cost is a factor but if it’s a compromise compared to a large, unfenced area, maybe I should reconsider.

Looking forward to replies,
Bob

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I have always found that if the game is indigenous to the area then it is wild. If the game has been hunted extensively then it can be more spooky and the hunting hard. 80,000 acres is substantial and lots depends on the habitat, river frontage etc

There are lots of good deals to be had for free ranging Buffalo especially towards the end of season.

Best bet is to discuss the options that you have been offered here on AR and you will get good advice and references.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9860 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bowhunted in Zim on 33,000 no cross fence, fenced acres in 2012. Was Rosslyn Safaris, affiliated with Peter Johnstone.
That was my first safari.
I thought it was great and would hunt there again.
We sat in blinds at water holes (man made). Most certainly did not seem like a canned fence hunt.
There was one older fellow and wife in camp that was rifle hunting. He had some mobility issues and am not sure if he was successful in killing anything.
I arrowed wart hog, kudu, blue wildebeest, zebra and impala. A friend with me had similar results.
I highly recommend the place.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

I've missed something. Are you saying that properties within the Save Valley Conservancy are perimeter fenced?

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12861 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Yes, that was my impression.....did I mis-understand and maybe the reference was simply to the size of some of the properties ?

If no fencing in Save, good to know !

Then the question applies to perimeter fenced in other parts of Zim.

Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
640 acres = 1 square mile, so 64,000 acres is 100 square miles. In good habitat most animals' normal range is measured in dozens or hundreds of acres, in 100 square miles the vast majority of animals wouldn't be aware there was a fence.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9541 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doubleboy:
Mark,

Yes, that was my impression.....did I mis-understand and maybe the reference was simply to the size of some of the properties ?

If no fencing in Save, good to know !

Then the question applies to perimeter fenced in other parts of Zim.

Bob

Only the outside perimeter of the save is fenced. Poorly fenced as elephants destroy a fair bit of fencing.

Inside the save there is no cross fencing.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gentlemen,

Thoughts/opinions on perimeter fenced hunting on “smaller” ( 60,000 - 80,000 acres, give or take ) properties in Zim, ie: some offerings in SVC, among others ?
I understand with a good operator it’s fair chase but never having done it, how is the experience ?
How does it compare to the Selous, Masailand or large areas in Moz ?
My interest lies in the prices of some of the buff hunts being tossed around. Cost is a factor but if it’s a compromise compared to a large, unfenced area, maybe I should reconsider.

Looking forward to replies,
Bob

No fences in Tanzania. The Selous concessions are demarcated by natural boundaries; same applies to Masailand and any/all hunting concessions throughout Tanzania.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

Whether the fence is an issue is much dependent on the environment of the area. 10,000 acres of pretty open country might seem pretty small but on 10,000 acres of bush the fence would be of no issue in my book. I've hunted 10,000 acres and walked my butt off. I'm selling a 22,000 acre fenced property now in Zim where you'll work very hard for your buffalo. Another thing is folks often don't realize that the fence only holds some herd animals. Eland and kudu often can jump the fence. I've watched them. Warthog leopard, bushbuck will go under the fence. The"Game fencing" often serves more purpose to keep unwanted folks out as to keep game in. Also the fence provides a haven for game that might be poached out in surrounding communal areas.

As for the Save being that it is all bush with no noteable boundary markings between the individual properties even an area of 40,000-50,000 acres has no confined feeling at all. Additionally the game densities are so high you don't need a huge area to hunt almost everything.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12861 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for some solid information, especially clearing up my misconception of the Save.

Bob

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks to all for some solid information, especially clearing up my misconception of the Save.

Bob

Bob,

You would do well to research the hunt reports and the Save consistently has provided quality hunt experiences.

However my tip is choose the PH of your choice and rather listen to his recommendations.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9860 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted the Hammond Ranch in the Save in 2016. The "perimeter fence" was a joke. Anything from a mouse to an elephant would have had no problem crossing it almost anywhere. After hunting the Zambezi Valley twice (two different areas) I considered the Save to be every bit as wild, just more game.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted the SVC on four different occasions. The fence has zero impact. It is as fair chase as fair chase can be.

Posts: 11945 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
Hi Bob,

Let me explain. Originally when the Save Conservancy was formed there was a perimeter fence around the whole Conservancy. When the land invasions took place in 2002 some properties were completely taken over and have now been overrun by villages, cattle, people etc and the fence is no longer existent in the east and west of the southern part of the Conservancy and now basically the core area of the Conservancy remains as it was and the boundary is effectively a communal area. No Fence left except for in the North there is a Fence which runs along the main tar road and a poor fence in the south for a section covering about 20km. Effectively meaning that the SVC is only fenced on 2 of its 4 sides.

There are no and never were any fences between the various properties since the inception of the SVC in 1992.

The 2 biggest properties in the SVC are Sango and Humani. 150000 acres and 100000 acres.

There are a lot of great people that operate and hunt in the SVC.

Cheers
Thierry

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Save Valley Conservancy September 2016

Pic of the only time I saw the fence in the daylight after tracking Buffalo for hours they went right through it!!

Posts: 1012 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote