Find
Notify
Tools

Zim makes a gesture
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Seems a step in the right direction. Hope this bears some sort of edible fruit.

https://www.reuters.com/articl...s-idUSKCN24U1OM?il=0

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So the rest of the world is supposed to pay the farmers? Why exactly?

And the landless blacks that got the land? Really, I don't think a single one has title to anything. And even if they did, it would be a worthless piece of paper.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2927 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Do you really believe that?
Reuter’s?
They will right positive article about serial killer if they could

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Another trick to got more money from the clueless West!

Tell them to pound sand!

Or, if the West really want to be useful, get all the politicians money in Europe’s banks and confiscate it!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66931 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or the clueless Middle East....

Same goes for Middle East money in US banks...

We all detest politicians.. but at least we can vote ours out of office.

Posts: 10150 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is something like the 10th time that the Zim government has offered to compensate White Farmers for the theft of their lands. I bet there will be a 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th...

This will become the new Nigerian banking scam.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From another article...farmers have to raise money to pay themselves!!

But as the cash-strapped government does not have the funds to make the payouts, a committee made up of farmers and donors has been tasked with raising the money.
'In the agreement we have given ourselves 12 months to run around the world, around Zimbabwe to think of ways of raising this funding,' Finance Minister Mthuli Ncube said at the signing ceremony in Harare.
'We are determined that we achieve that. It's also about pledges not necessarily about cash being put on the table. It's about commitment.'

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Why not seize the Mugabe family bank accounts and pay the farmers with that?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Man, this is a GREAT investment opportunity- long term Zim government bonds! cuckoo space

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13141 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
To quote the Bard......
"Full of sound and fury signifying nothing"

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Boarkiller. Sorry. I forgot you get your news from Fox and Breitbart.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, you might not have been following this, but this topic of reparations for white farmers has been going on since the 1990's. No one pays any serious attention to it.

Ain't going to happen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AS to title, did Cecil Rhodes have anything like that when got the land in the first place?

Dick Gunn

“You must always stop and roll in the good stuff;
it may not smell this way tomorrow.”

Lucy, a long deceased Basset Hound

"

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:

It wasn’t pointed at you Bill
You and me maybe at times don’t see each other in the eye but like others said, this has been said many time by Zim crooks...nothing will ever be done
And Reuter’s could’ve pointed it out and they didn’t...agenda?

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
quote:

You and me maybe at times don’t see each other in the eye but like others said, this has been said many time by Zim crooks...nothing will ever be done

It would have been nice if they had mentioned in the the article that this was just another announcement......the 14th or 15th.......

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
If anyone remotely believes ANYTHING the Zim government says, they are an idiot......

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13141 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
If anyone remotely believes ANYTHING the Zim government says, they are an idiot......

+1!!

Posts: 973 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 November 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Other than seizing Mugabe's money, where in the hell is Zim going to get $3.5 billion?

Posts: 10003 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Go Fund Me campaign.

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R. Gunn:
AS to title, did Cecil Rhodes have anything like that when got the land in the first place?

I don’t think so. I believe Mzilikazi set the precedent.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
With what money? Zimbabwean Bitcoin?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I did not realize this was hot air.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Africa.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Other than seizing Mugabe's money, where in the hell is Zim going to get $3.5 billion?

I got a chuckle out of that. $3.5 billion??? Then I saw the bit about the "jointly approach international donors". What a joke!!! Just another scheme to suck money out of the West.

I also like the quote on land seizures,.... "But its supporters say it has empowered landless Black people."
Empowered the landless to do what???? starve???

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1284 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
quote:

+1 Reuters should have noted the Zim governments dubious credibility on this subject.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1284 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.zimbabwesituation....hite-former-farmers/

Zimbabwe Makes Payment of $1 Million to White Former Farmers

June 24, 2021 6:35 PM
Source: Zimbabwe Makes Payment of $1 Million to White Former Farmers – Bloomberg

Government is seeking to delay timeline for full compensation

Payment of $3.5 billion agreement begins with just $1 million

Zimbabwe made its first compensation payment as part of an agreement to settle a dispute with White commercial farmers who had their land seized violently two decades ago.

The state-linked Kuvimba Mining House Ltd. transfered $1 million to the farmers as the government asked for a delay in paying the full $3.5 billion compensation it had agreed to a year ago.

While the payment is a fraction of that agreed to, resolving the dispute is key to the country pulling out of the economic stagnation that the seizures, ordered by then President Robert Mugabe, triggered. Exports plunged, relations with multilateral lenders were severed, the U.S and the European Union imposed sanctions and Zimbabwe experienced a bout of hyperinflation.

“Government asked that the payments be spread out,” Andrew Pascoe, president of the Commercial Farmers’ Union of Zimbabwe, said in an interview in the capital, Harare, Wednesday. “This represents the first money we have received.”

The farmers were originally to be paid half of the damages agreed to by next month, but the government requested that be put off for 12 months, Pascoe said.

Zimbabwe’s government controls 65% of Kuvimba through a 21.5% direct stake and other shareholding via state entities, including a sovereign wealth fund, pension funds and a special purpose vehicle created for farmers whose land was seized, Finance Minister Mthuli Ncube said Wednesday. However, there have been contradictory claims about the ownership of Kuvimba’s assets.

The payment was part of $5.2 million given to shareholders.

Under the agreement with farmers, the government proposed selling a 30-year bond on global markets to raise the money, but this has been delayed because of the effect of the coronavirus pandemic.

The state’s decision to make farmers shareholders in Kuvimba and to give others 99-year leases signaled a commitment to settle its obligations, Pascoe said.

During 2000 and just after White-owned farms were often seized by armed gangs backed by the government and their owners driven off the land. Mugabe said the program was necessary to restore ownership to Black Zimbabweans who lost their land during the colonial era.

(Updates with history on land seizures in last paragraph)

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9363 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is something like the 10th time that the Zim government has offered to compensate White Farmers for the theft of their lands. I bet there will be a 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th...

This will become the new Nigerian banking scam.

Couldn't have said it better myself! For many of us we have watched this fiasco over the last 20 plus years. tu2

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
The state-linked Kuvimba Mining House Ltd. transfered $1 million to the farmers as the government asked for a delay in paying the full $3.5 billion compensation it had agreed to a year ago.

No friggen surprise. thumbdown

one of us
posted Hide Post
In today's world, if you don't have a title you don't own the land. Even those who have a title learned the hard way that they don't own the land regardless of title. And if the land can be taken from you without compensation, you are not going to improve it. You might do something that pays off short term, like plant a crop or run some cows, but you are not going to do anything that pays off in years or decades, because you may not ever get paid off. In other words, you are not going to invest in equipment, irrigation, soil conservation, fencing, a dairy, a tobacco drying shed, or any other improvement.

But this is Africa, where ownership of the land does not rest on a piece of paper or the rule of law; it used to rest on whether you could kill whoever was trying to take it or whether you could kill whoever was on it. But that part of the law is now enforced, .. so it rests on the whim of a politician. It will take a few generations before the realization dawns on the people, that without title there is no commercial farming, and without commercial farming there is no food.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2927 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
In today's world, if you don't have a title you don't own the land. Even those who have a title learned the hard way that they don't own the land regardless of title. And if the land can be taken from you without compensation, you are not going to improve it. You might do something that pays off short term, like plant a crop or run some cows, but you are not going to do anything that pays off in years or decades, because you may not ever get paid off. In other words, you are not going to invest in equipment, irrigation, soil conservation, fencing, a dairy, a tobacco drying shed, or any other improvement.

But this is Africa, where ownership of the land does not rest on a piece of paper or the rule of law; it used to rest on whether you could kill whoever was trying to take it or whether you could kill whoever was on it. But that part of the law is now enforced, .. so it rests on the whim of a politician. It will take a few generations before the realization dawns on the people, that without title there is no commercial farming, and without commercial farming there is no food.

Have to agree with you there.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9867 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Without the Rule of Law you have nothing. Having helped my Zimbabwean son-in-law, his parents and sister with her family into New Zealand where they all now live productive lives I have some familiarity with the situation. Zimbabwe's loss is NZ's gain.
You try and do the right thing, settle all you staff on land of their own. You still end up owning 10,000 cattle one day and the next you are walking down the road with just a suitcase, leaving your dead behind you. All your staff have been kicked off too.
Now the cattle have died, the buildings are ruined and 200 acres of Macadamia nut trees which produced as much income as the cattle have been cut down for firewood.
How to turn the bread-basket of Africa into the basket-case!
While the MDC opposition are almost as incompetent and corrupt as Zanu PF there isn't much hope of anything changing soon. Even if they grant the few remaining experienced farmers legal title and give them back their farms no one is going to risk putting back the irrigation systems, trees and buildings.
Very sad but a lesson to us all.

Posts: 294 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 24 March 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You cannot build a viable economy if you don’t respect and protect property rights. Zimbabwe will remain poor until it’s leadership can convince the international community that it can be trusted.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote