New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cecil the Lion Killed by American?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This pathetic event just makes my blood boil and I don't feel like tip toeing round it like some liberal shithouse lawyer. Given this guys vainglorious background no one will convince me that he didn't know exactly what he was doing. Then he wounds the critter, what the headlights in the truck weren't bright enough? This guy just made it tough on all of us. No I don't have all the facts but I know all I need to know. You can try to pull the wool over my eyes but it's just not long enough.

One of Us
Picture of The Artistry of Wildlife
posted Hide Post
When the anti's bring up banning lion hunting in Zim just give them this. worth the 15 minutes of time out of your day.

How The BAN on Lion Hunting Killed the Lions

THIS IS WORTH WATCHING

Posts: 657 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4-5-0:
This pathetic event just makes my blood boil and I don't feel like tip toeing round it like some liberal shithouse lawyer. Given this guys vainglorious background no one will convince me that he didn't know exactly what he was doing. Then he wounds the critter, what the headlights in the truck weren't bright enough? This guy just made it tough on all of us. No I don't have all the facts but I know all I need to know. You can try to pull the wool over my eyes but it's just not long enough.

I appreciate your zeal in condemning this rididiculous act. That said exactly whom might you be referencing as a "liberal shithouse lawyer"?

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ABC world news tonite is running a story about this...tune in if you can. stories up next

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
Like I said, if you are relying on the media to get the story straight you will most likely be disappointed.

I'm relying on ZPHGA's press release.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3498 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwana Bunduki, the comment is not directed at someone specifically but is intended to express my personal disbelief that anyone could come to this guys defense. Yes perhaps zeal overwhelmed my prose but it was not intended to poke an 'exact' party in the eye with a stick.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Number 1 trading issue on Twitter with 130k tweets.

Now I go back to searching crap on my stocks on Twitter.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also a NY Times story.

I bet Blood Lions is on Netflix and Amazon Prime in under a month. This will have real impact. Look at what Blackfish did to Seaworld.

Looks like lion hunting days are numbered. Can't wait to see Chelsea Clinton add lion to her elephant campaign.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
All because of someone's vainglory and selfishness. And now he issues a statement and wants to make it sound like it was all the outfitters fault. So he wants to play everyone as a fool too. Pity ABC did not have the info on his bear hunting conviction to report . . . shows how disingenuous his statement really is.

Mike

Posts: 21046 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cecil the lion is even in the presidential campaigns - Mike Hucakabee tweeting Cecil getting more attention than some abortion issue.

Can't wait for my niece to start rubbing Cecil the Lion and evil hunters to me.

Mike

one of us
Picture of FOsteology
posted Hide Post
Just goes to show how phfucked up modern day liberals' priorities are...Killing unborn babies (and harvesting their parts, for profit) is fine and dandy.

A freaking cat gets shot and it's such a terrible shame. Human babies are subjected to Mengele levels of depravity and it's no big deal...

Animal rights crazies are nuttier than any religious sect.

And environmentalism is the secular religion of the left, where killing baby humans is good and killing animals is bad. cuckoo

Posts: 1181 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Leading story on CNN.com now too. I feel like throwing up.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We all need to wake the F up!!!

This is a DISASTER for HUNTERS!!!
Many here are trying to argue semantics. You cannot win an argument based on semantics right now. Again...wake up!!

MJmines has said inumerable times in this thread and others as an example.
Anyone defending right now are insane.
I told someone today it was a Spaniard based on some early information. I may now be wrong not that that matters...

How many of us are getting personal emails, texts, and phone calls? Many of us!!!

This is the biggest public relations disaster we may have witnessed....

Organized Crime and Poaching involving Collusion of African Animals INCLUDING Elephant/Rhino/LIon and anything else that crawls be Damned!!
It's all about Cecil....
You cannot defend on this deal right now and we are all getting hit!

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That escalated quickly...

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
I'm simply saying the hunter could of easly been led to believe he was hunting a wild lion no where near a park boundary. .

I think you are 100% correct. Most of us have no clue where we are at after entering the country....

Are you two people for real?.... Confused

IN this modern age one does not have to remain so clueless as to ones location, unless its by personal choice.

GPS downloadable data available from various National parks websites- that will indicate park boundaries.
Download Map data is also easily available for common GPS devices to tell you e.g.; - whether you are at/near the border of Zim and Moz.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FOsteology:
Just goes to show how phfucked up modern day liberals' priorities are...Killing unborn babies (and harvesting their parts, for profit) is fine and dandy.

A freaking cat gets shot and it's such a terrible shame. Human babies are subjected to Mengele levels of depravity and it's no big deal...

Animal rights crazies are nuttier than any religious sect.

And environmentalism is the secular religion of the left, where killing baby humans is good and killing animals is bad. cuckoo

Amen Fost, well said my man!

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
lmfao... rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
So what was the big deal? Was it that the hunter and his PH did not recognize Cecil the lion?
They were hunting in a non hunting area?
They did not have a license to take a male lion?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway,

If people are smashing windows and looting shops, is it oK for me to opportunistically take a television those people have snatched & dumped on the public sidewalk?...

... jumping finders-keepers correct?... rotflmo

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
It"ll blow over ...
I'm with George on this one.
And we are bunch of scared old men
Milan's famous last words " It"ll be all just Fine "
Common Gentlemen, have a cigar and drink and relax...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eyeman
posted Hide Post
I have hunted lion in Zim two years ago. I did get to meet with Brent who does the study on lions around Huange. We spent about an hour together as the lion I shot was a known cattle killer. Cecil was one of the lions he studied and tracked. To give that guy who shot Cecil a pass is wrong. In my opinion what he did is akin to poaching even if he did have a license. To back his actions is just more fuel for the antis. I donated to the lion conservation study after my hunt and intend to do it again after this pr fiasco. I feel strongly that to defend his actions sends the wrong signal or are we not interested in true honest lion studies.

Paul Gulbas

Posts: 340 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the apex of the panic has set in pretty good here. These things usually burn hot and fast. We will all be arguing about something else in a weeks time.

Posts: 259 | Location: Marietta, Georgia | Registered: 04 July 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
My guess is that if the American is prosecuted in Zim, hunting there is doomed. Who would go back knowing that there was a risk if the safari company was not 100% accurate in everything?

Hell, when I go, I assume that we are in the right place with proper permits, quotas, etc. The facts are that I really do not know.

Food for thought.

My thought also. I'm paying for a professional service and I listen to the expert. I have no guess on if the guy knew he was shooting a lion without a license. I guess we have better experts here than the people who live there.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
2008: Palmer pleads guilty in Federal Court to killing a bear in an area he did not have a license for and lying about it.

2015: Palmer shoots a collared park lion on a seized property adjacent to the National Park where no lion permit had been issued.

This fellow is a reprobate and deserves all the misfortune and scorn that has been and undoubtedly will continue to be directed his way at his own instigation.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
2008: Palmer pleads guilty in Federal Court to killing a bear in an area he did not have a license for and lying about it.

2015: Palmer shoots a collared park lion on a seized property adjacent to the National Park where no lion permit had been issued.

This fellow is a reprobate and deserves all the misfortune and scorn that has been and undoubtedly will continue to be directed his way at his own instigation.

Sad but true.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:

That misfortune will not be limited to him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't believe there is a chance he would spend anytime in a Zim prison. Most likely heavy fines and possible U.S. Federal prison if it got real outta hand.

He already has a record back home. Could it get any worse?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That escalated quickly...

Dude you were defending this stupidity...

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:

That misfortune will not be limited to him.

Sadly you are correct, and that is truly misfortunate.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Media is doing all they can to take heat and attention away from their anointed one and his self serving interests and agenda.. Seems to be working pretty good, Cecil seems to have taken up about the same number of news slots as Iran Nuc deal... Go figure..

MopaneMike

Posts: 1110 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone care to wager on whether DOJ will swoop in for a full investigation? I expect a certain someone's team is already closely watching the social media frenzy and considering whether to inappropriately involve itself in the matter in yet another effort to manipulate public opinion for leftist purposes bring about positive social change.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Half of Jimmy Kimmel's monologue tonight was about this incident . . . and he was not trying to be funny. Then he gives a pro-animal rights website for people to contribute to efforts to address lion hunting. It is just stunning how stupid this was to do.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Driving to town today and the news on the top of the hour on radio was a story of a dentist from the midwest who shot a lion and beheaded and skinned it. Looks very bad.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The story and lion and his pictures of the elk and bear were all on the 5:30 news tonight.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5934 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a difference between legal and wise-

We should all recognize that. When I went on my lion hunt, I relied on the PH--I was not qualified to truly judge the lion. I had done my home work about young lions-but they are supposed to be the experts.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
On the nightly news the Dentist called his actions a mistake and blamed the PH.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7566 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll bet that when facts are relatively clear, it'll be obvious Palmer was an active party to, and possibly the driver of the whole deal and was fully attuned to the apparent illegalities. If so, he'd deserve hard time in my book. I suspect you get a good indicator of his basic character and believability from the black bear charade a few years back...

I just decided that the smear that all hunters get with this essentially takes a REAL lion hunt off my personal bucket list; and that was getting pretty close to the top. Timing could hardly be worse, and this Cecil debacle will become so entwined with the canned lion issue that all hunting (especially African hunting) gets further knocked back with the media frenzy now underway. Check out Blood Lions if you haven't had the pleasure.

I've got a couple of acquaintances who are enthralled with their canned lion trophies and I kind of follow the dated guidance to not say anything if you can't say something nice - may get over that. In any case, I doubt anybody could pay me enough to shoot a canned lion, and if they did, I'd certainly never claim/display/admit it...

Let's hope this blows over, but don't hold your breath.

Good hunting,

Posts: 402 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote