Cecil the Lion Killed by American?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.zimbabwesituation.c...s-in-court-tomorrow/

Cecil hunters in court tomorrow
Posted on July 28, 2015 by ZimSitRep

via Cecil hunters in court tomorrow – The Zimbabwean 28 July 2015

The killing of world famous Zimbabwean lion, Cecil, may represent just the tip of the iceberg, the president of the Safari Operators Association of Zimbabwe, Emmanuel Fundira has said.

Fundira told The Zimbabwean shortly after a press conference in Harare today that the killing of Cecil was a sophisticated operation conducted by a highly organised syndicate which may involve more people than those identified.

“It’s possible that some of the cases may go unnoticed and there could be collusion involving a number of individuals. The $55,000 could have found its way around a number of people,” Fundira said.

During the press conference Fundira revealed that the lion was shot at 10 pm at the beginning of this month by American Walter James Palmer from Minnesota.

“Cecil was killed using a bow hunt, a silent weapon revealing the intent to conceal what happened,” he said.

A joint press statement by SOAZ and the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority issued earlier said that the professional hunter involved, Theo Bronkhurst and the owner of Antoinette Farm, Honest Trymore Ndlovu are being charged for illegally hunting the lion.

Fundira said the killing of Cecil represented a loss for the country both in heritage and financial terms.

“The proper market value for a lion like Cecil would be around $100,000”.

“Since this was not a legal hunt it means this money is not directly accruing to the people and government of Zimbabwe. The area where the lion was killed did not have a hunting quota for lions for 2015”.

The SOAZ president refuted what he called allegations in the international media that Cecil’s death illustrated poor wildlife conservation.

“We are very conscious of conservation and we use hunting as a conservation tool and we use quotas. The hunting methods we use involves the use of a fair chase which still provides the required experience for the tourist even when the animal might not get killed,” he said.

Cecil was part of an Oxford University research project and wore a GPS collar.

“We lost an icon. Cecil was very well known in the international community. The absence of Cecil is a disaster in terms of the disappointment it has caused,” Fundira said.

Ndlovu and Bronkhurst will appear in court tomorrow, Wednesday July 29. Bronkhorst’s licence has also been suspended with immediate effect. The lion trophy has been confiscated and will be used as an exhibit in court.

Bonkhorst has also been suspended from The Zimbabwe Professional Hunters and Guides Association.

Accrding to Fundira Bronkhorst’s son, Zane who was being sought by the police has been caught

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9339 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
if nothing else, this points out just how much we rely on the people we contract with.

Can't be the hunting company or PHs fault. The only possible explanation is that he intentionally went to Zim to hunt down Cecil on a park boundary and he was being unethical and selfish. The Internet jury has spoken. Case closed

He has been around the block enough to know that paying out 35k or 55k to a game scout or whatever figure he was was definitely non-puka. So no that argument doesn't hold water either.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
I know a bit of about the bear case Palmer paid big dollars to get a big bear.

The guides decide that they would do what ever it took to get him a big bear.

They did and were caught.

Hmmmmm, one online article showed his pic with a royal elk.

He certainly seems to be the hunter that is able to get one amazing trophy after another.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
quote:
quote:
if nothing else, this points out just how much we rely on the people we contract with.

Can't be the hunting company or PHs fault. The only possible explanation is that he intentionally went to Zim to hunt down Cecil

on a park boundary and he was being unethical and selfish. The Internet jury has spoken. Case closed

He has been around the block enough to know that paying out 35k or 55k to a game scout or whatever figure he was was definitely non-puka. So no that argument doesn't hold water either.

Jeff

Where does it say he did? It says the money could of been spread around to multiple people. Doesn't say who did the spreading

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
quote:
I know a bit of about the bear case Palmer paid big dollars to get a big bear.

The guides decide that they would do what ever it took to get him a big bear.

They did and were caught.

With enough money one can buy most of what one wants.

Hmmmmm, one online article showed his pic with a royal elk.

He certainly seems to be the hunter that is able to get one amazing trophy after another.

Posts: 19289 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Can't be the hunting company or PHs fault. The only possible explanation is that he intentionally went to Zim to hunt down Cecil on a park boundary and he was being unethical and selfish. The Internet jury has spoken. Case closed

Jeff

Maybe that is what he paid to Bronkhorst.

Posts: 11902 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's funny to me that anyone who has been to Africa can say they know exactly what takes place behind the scenes with your money before or after you arrive. The PH could have took me right inside a park boundary and how would I or you ever know. You wouldn't and you couldn't. You are at the complete mercy of them following the laws and keeping you legal. 99.9% of the time

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Can't be the hunting company or PHs fault. The only possible explanation is that he intentionally went to Zim to hunt down Cecil

on a park boundary and he was being unethical and selfish. The Internet jury has spoken. Case closed

Jeff

Where does it say he did? It says the money could of been spread around to multiple people. Doesn't say who did the spreading

You attempted to make the point that he wasn't being unethical and selfish. Obviously he was. More so than just shooting a pet. He was breaking laws too.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My guess is that if the American is prosecuted in Zim, hunting there is doomed. Who would go back knowing that there was a risk if the safari company was not 100% accurate in everything?

Hell, when I go, I assume that we are in the right place with proper permits, quotas, etc. The facts are that I really do not know.

Food for thought.

Posts: 11902 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My guess is that if the American is prosecuted in Zim, hunting there is doomed. Who would go back knowing that there was a risk if the safari company was not 100% accurate in everything?

Hell, when I go, I assume that we are in the right place with proper permits, quotas, etc. The facts are that I really do not know.

Food for thought.

You know you could be right. A huge dupe job? But how do you even make contact with these types?

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Food for thought.

That's all I'm trying to say.. It seems laws were broke. But I'm way more inclined to point the finger at the landowner, hunting company, and PH than I am to imediatly say the hunter knew everything that was taking place. You are very likely to never realize you are near a park boundary let alone know that the lion your about to shoot is from there

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Food for thought.

You know you could be right. A huge dupe job? But how do you even make contact with these types?

Jeff

The Society of the Record Book.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7566 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How many times have we seen a novice safari hunter return from SA with a story of killing a wild cattle killing lion by the border of Botswana.. And truly believe that's what took place? Why... Because they were fed a story and relied on the PH to tell them what's going on.

When the plane lands on that little strip of dirt and you jump in the truck you are relying on your PH from that moment on to keep you legal. Hell.. He could drive you 10 miles outside the consession and you would have no clue.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I am sure that Palmer is pure as the driven snow. He undoubtedly was intentionally misled and misinformed by his PH and had no idea what he was getting to. He just could not believe his remarkable good luck that a fully mature black maned wild lion happened to hit one of the baits his PH put out. Some people are just lucky that way. And of course his previous conviction for violating hunting laws is completely unrelated.

Roll Eyes

Mike

Posts: 21046 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anti hunters hate hunters no matter what they do.

Trying to make them happy is just a big lost for us not matter what.

Posts: 19289 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Instead of the dentist, should we be directing our ire at the PH/Outfitter/Landowner?

Some members here might not take on a hunt like this because it doesn't pass the smell test. There are a lot of hunters that don't have the experience or don't spend inordinate amounts of time on hunting forums. My guess is that a large majority of American's that hunt Africa could find themselves in this predicament.

Scary.

Posts: 800 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
quote:

I am sure that Palmer is pure as the driven snow. He undoubtedly was intentionally misled and misinformed by his PH and had no idea what he was getting to. He just could not believe his remarkable good luck that a fully mature black maned wild lion happened to hit one of the baits his PH put out. Some people are just lucky that way. And of course his previous conviction for violating hunting laws is completely unrelated.

Roll Eyes

Actually that more likely than calling up a hunting outfit in Zim and saying.. Hey I wanna shoot Cecil. You know that park lion that your area butts up against. Let's talk cash

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anti hunters hate hunters no matter what they do.

Trying to make them happy is just a big lost for us not matter what.

Plenty of hunters and fence sitters are enraged by this brainless crap. That is what you don't get.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are not arguing whether the hunt was legal or not. That is for the courts to decide. I'm simply saying the hunter could of easly been led to believe he was hunting a wild lion no where near a park boundary. And after the fact the PH could of gave him any story he wanted about the collar and anything else the hunter became suspicious of.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At what point do you reckon the "hunter" realized the lion had a collar on? Legal or not, it's obviously horrible PR.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
At what point do you reckon the "hunter" realized the lion had a collar on? Legal or not, it's obviously horrible PR.

I've never seen a lion with a collar on.. However Mr. Neilson has indicated that it's almost impossible to tell. He has more experience with lion than I ever hope to.. So I'll take his word for it. And I agree it's horrible PR. But that doesn't make the hunter guilty. I'm 99.9% sure the company and PH are guilty but until more facts come out I believe the hunter was mislead. We have seen it many times before right on this forum. Now imagine all the times you have never heard it. I suspect it's fairly common

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm simply saying the hunter could of easly been led to believe he was hunting a wild lion no where near a park boundary. .

I think you are 100% correct. Most of us have no clue where we are at after entering the country.

It makes me think about being on a hunt once in Zim. We crossed a 2 rut bush road. A very minor road at that. The PH stopped and said "Remember when you said you wanted to go to Mozambique? You are now in it." He turned around and walked back across the road. I had no idea. None zero!

We seriously rely on these guys.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been under the impression that ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law. Wasn't this hunter involved in some sort of shady bear hunt too a few years ago?

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been under the impression that ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law. Wasn't this hunter involved in some sort of shady bear hunt too a few years ago?

In the eyes of the law it is no excuse.. But at the same time if you rely on your PH to keep you legal you are in a real tough spot to be sure.

His bear hunt has no bearing on this case.. It can be used to cast suspicion but it doesn't mean he knowingly violated Zim game laws

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not saying he's guilty either. Who knows? I would say he's in deep schitt though. Real deep.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree.. Would any of the law types on here help the rest of us understand how this case might play out internationally so to speak? How does this work when you are a citizen of the USA and are charged with a game violation act in another country?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is he a member of SCI or DSC?

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Google the Lacey Act . . . I am sure Palmer has.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike:

Is import into the US a requirement to violate the Lacey Act?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the little I understand about it. It also applies to the illegal taking of game in another country as well. He will be charged with a lacy act violation and considering the PR of this particular case. He is in deep deep......

He's gonna need a good lawyer.. Maybe a dozen of em

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Well, he's done being a dentist. That part is for sure.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a looong, twisty road from what happens in the bush to what is reported by the media - especially the "local" media. I would hold condemnation until all the facts are known.

About all we know for sure is he apparently shot a pet lion and people are pissed. No great surprise there.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Lacey Act makes it illegal to "import, export, transport, sell, receive, acquire or purchase in interstate commerce or foreign commerce" wildlife "taken . . . in violation of any foreign law." To me it comes down to how broadly the courts and the USFWS have construed or choose to construe that first phrase, e.g., was the payment of a trophy fee a "purchase"? For example, the sale of outfitting or guide services or a hunting license is considered a sale under the Act. You can rest assured they will be working hard to come up with a plausible case. In the past folks like Ted Nugent and Dan Duncan have also had to deal with Lacey Act issues.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
It's a looong, twisty road from what happens in the bush to what is reported by the media - especially the "local" media. I would hold condemnation until all the facts are known.

About all we know for sure is he apparently shot a pet lion and people are pissed. No great surprise there.

Without a permit of any kind......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like I said, if you are relying on the media to get the story straight you will most likely be disappointed.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe can't want Palmer in prison. As was mentioned earlier, it would kill their foreign hunting business.

They will figure out a way to release him. Probably with fines, sanctions, etc.

The Zim ph's have got to want to string Bronkhurst up right now.

Posts: 800 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:

Without a permit of any kind......

. . . and where the professional association to which the PH belongs, ZPHGA, has suspended the PH for unethical conduct.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't believe there is a chance he would spend anytime in a Zim prison. Most likely heavy fines and possible U.S. Federal prison if it got real outta hand.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hate to say it but Zim is on the bottom of my list for places in Africa to hunt. Not that there isn't shady companies in any of the countries but 9 times outta 10...

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hate to say it but Zim is on the bottom of my list for places in Africa to hunt. Not that there isn't shady companies in any of the countries but 9 times outta 10...

Pity. Great country, great people and probably the best overall group of PHs in Africa. There will always be a handful of a-holes in any country that cannot seem to play by the rules.

Mike