New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elephant Hair Bracelet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Departing for the Save next week for 12 days chasing Buffalo and Tuskless with Roger Whittall Safaris.
If the "Red Gods" are smiling and animals are put into the salt, am I assuming in today's environment that wearing an Elephant Hair Bracelet home is not a good idea

Posts: 1607 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Legally it’s importing elephant parts…

High punishment if they catch you. I’d say low risk of being caught, but if they do, they can throw a lot of grief your way.

I’ve felt “not worth it” on my nonimportable elephants.

Posts: 10479 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
In today's climate, I would not do it. If you want to wear an elephant hair bracelet, the best ones are the ones made out of artificial materials and you can get them plain, or with gold or silver knots. Or, you can even get them in all gold, copper, or silver (knots and 'hairs' both). They are always sold at the SCI and DSC Conventions and the well known vendor that I have purchased mine from over the years have major booths at both. I have both real bracelets (from years and years ago having ones made from my own eles), as well as a number of artificial bracelets, and quite frankly the artificial ones wear better, adjust without worrying about breaking the hairs and always look first class. And, I have never had an artificial one break any hairs or knots. Just my two cents worth and experience.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice
Of the Ele's (all Tuskless)I have shot, always have brought home Bracelets as a memento

Posts: 1607 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Feds could make your life miserable if they wanted to. My advice would be to buy a bracelet here. You won't be able to tell the difference.

Posts: 9954 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just wear it under a long sleeve shirt and plead stupidity and forgetfulness if they stop you and surrender it. Worth a try?

Ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.

Posts: 85 | Location: RSA | Registered: 21 August 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snav:
Just wear it under a long sleeve shirt and plead stupidity and forgetfulness if they stop you and surrender it. Worth a try?

The likely hood of him being caught is very small.

But, think of the alternative.

If he was caught by a normal individual, that might just take it from him.

End of story.

If the individual he encounters in the US is one of those stupid idiots, who is ant hunting, he might make an example of him.

Not really worth it for what it is.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Good luck, Zephyr! Please say hello and give my best regards to Guy, if you see him.

As for the bracelet, the answer is sadly no. Do not attempt it.

The law is stupid, but it would be against you.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Are you aloud to bring giraffe bracelets back ? Wink

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not worth it. You don't want to run up against a federal prosecutor armed with the Lacey Act.

Posts: 9954 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While African Elephants enjoy the status of protection under CITES Appendix 1 they are still a species which may nonetheless be imported provided the import is not for commercial purpose.

That said, the ivory and any parts taken from a LEGALLY hunted Elephant should not be hindered by the Authorities of those countries which have signed the CITES Agreement.

We are all aware that some Governmental authorities at final destination can be ignorant, narrow-minded, oblivious of the law, anti-hunting, etc. and will do anything in their power to make someone's life a misery.

Bottom line: If you want to scrap it out with the authorities over a hair or pad bracelet taken from a legally hunted elephant, you will win in the end but is it worth the hassle?

Posts: 1869 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't afford it. They love making headlines and prosecuting business people, lawyers, doctors, etc. Just like the IRS does right before April 15th, if you haven't noticed. So "privileged" isn't always so privileged unless you're a Democrat.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Just goes to show the stupidity of it all.

You hunted a legal hunt, so why all the bullshit?

Poachers get a slap on the rest.

Their bloody Chink handlers are immune to arrest.

Hunters, who support wildlife, are easy targets!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would elephant hide boots be a concern?

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:

Though I’ve bright a couple of bracelets back with no problem, I certainly wouldn’t try a pair of boots. One of my friends left a freshly bought pair of boots in Atlanta with CBP a few years back. I had warned him about it but the outfitter told him “no problem, lots of guys do it”, maybe do but the beagle zeroed in on his bag and that was it. Maybe it’s different nowadays but I don’t think so.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Years ago there was a display case in the international terminal at ATL that showed items confiscated by Customs. It displayed a pair of Courteney elephant hide boots-exactly like the pair I bought 17-18 years ago in Zim.I always wear them outbound and return because they are so so comfortable and I know I will arrive in Africa with hunting shoes. They show their age. Never had a problem. In fact, 7-8 years ago the Customs guy had me step in the disinfectant, then complemented the boots with their distinctive leather grain. Go figure. tu2

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13105 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:

The ironical part is that Zimbabwe is a member of CITES and that the company that produces Courtney boots among other leather products derived from the hides of different wild species include Elephant listed on Appendix 1 is based in Harare.

As stated earlier, Elephant products "may be imported provided the item is not for commercial purpose" and therefore stands to reason that if a pair of boots were purchased (wherever) and were introduced into the USA there would technically/legally be no case to answer as products derived from animal species on Appendix 1 are (to the best of my knowledge) still being produced in Zimbabwe to this day on a commercial basis obviously and CITES Administration is aware of the industry and obviously accepts it because any hide that is being utilized is 100% legal while their main concern is directed at the sale of ivory as a measure to curb the poaching.

The company is however mindful on how it advertises its products. Wink

Would it be a concern importing a pair into the USA?

It might be if you come across the idiot who is looking for an accolade similar to a Purple Heart award.

Posts: 1869 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote