THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    UPDATED: Delta / United / AA ban Big 5 trophy shipments
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPDATED: Delta / United / AA ban Big 5 trophy shipments
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of T.J.
posted
Update 1: Looks like they folded, and likely more to come:

USA Today
BBC

Update 2: UPS continues to ship legally hunted trophies:

UPS

I applaud these guys, as should we all. Anyone have experience with these folks when it comes to trophy shipments? Please share.

Feel free to PM updates if you'd like this post updated.

Posts: 160 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 31 July 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Seems that if they won't accept my trophies, then I'll need to seriously reconsider myself as a passenger. And, I'm a perennial Diamond or Platinum frequent flyer.

I'll be send an email later this week.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had sea freight once from Namibia, is was great, and cheaper than air. However, I'm expecting this to crush the safari industry and lead to people to look to other hunting destination without all the BS.

I was a serious Delta fan, and now, I'm just disappointed.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This has been in the works for a few weeks, even back when everyone was bashing SAA and Emirates for their carriage policy.
I will continue to fly Delta when it fits my travel schedule and will manage to get my trophies home somehow and I would wager other hunters will too.
I wonder if fares will increase on SAA now that they are about the only game in town for shipping trophies home from Africa?

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
"Effective immediately, Delta will officially ban shipment of all lion, leopard, elephant, rhinoceros and buffalo trophies worldwide as freight. "

I find it interesting their choice is the traditional Big 5. Why the heck would they include Buffalo? Duh!!

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7593 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most likely because it is called the "Big 5". Look for the next thing to be anything in a "Grand Slam".

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of T.J.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
"Effective immediately, Delta will officially ban shipment of all lion, leopard, elephant, rhinoceros and buffalo trophies worldwide as freight. "

I find it interesting their choice is the traditional Big 5. Why the heck would they include Buffalo? Duh!!

Well it specifically says "...as freight" in the text, so as long as you can fit your stuff in a carry on then you should be fine. Buffalo horns may be a bit cumbersome, however, so make sure you have a friend helping you out when you are lifting to stow in the overhead bin.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Because is much nicer marketing to say all big five.

SCI and a few people on AR managed to get DAL top level management to support shipping of trophies.

But after Cecil it is just not worth it for Delta to have to deal with shipping issues. Its a business and offending a lot of people by shipping at best less than $5 mil of animal trophies is just not worth it. Thanks Cecil.

Time for sea freight.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rodell:
quote:
Originally posted by Oryxhunter1983:
I have had sea freight once from Namibia, is was great, and cheaper than air.

A friend's experience with sea shipping lead to several days' worth of mold removal from the trophies. Not much fun. I don't know if that's a standard part of it or not.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If they won't fly my trophies, they won't fly me!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Called SCI not that big of a response ( no enthusiasm) Oh ok. Called NRA/ILA was very receptive and thanked me for being a member and would pass it on.

Life member NRA
formally scrappy

Posts: 192 | Location: Ga | Registered: 21 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T.J.:
quote:

Well it specifically says "...as freight" in the text, so as long as you can fit your stuff in a carry on then you should be fine. Buffalo horns may be a bit cumbersome, however, so make sure you have a friend helping you out when you are lifting to stow in the overhead bin.

i assume this post is meant to be a joke???

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of T.J.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:

Really? Geez...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yuck

Trust only those who stand to lose as much as you do when things go wrong.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That explains why Delta lost my paper work accompanying my Zim. trophy shipment that arrived in the states last week.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I called Delta Customer Service a few minutes ago.

A young lady answered the phone, and I asked if they would record the conversation. They did.

I explained kindly to her, that Delta would be contributing to the eventual extermination of all game in Africa. She sounded surprised, when I told her that the only money that comes in to Africa that is actually used to fund game preserves, and prevent poaching the Big Cats and Elephant and Rhino to extinction were the fees paid by sportsman hunters legally licensed to to take the elderly trophy animals.

She said, to me, you mean Delta could actually be contributing to loss of wildlife there? I told her yes, that the people who go on camera/photo safaris generally only go once, and do not pay more than ten-percent of the cost of keeping the animals safe from poachers.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T.J.:
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:

Really? Geez...

there is a big difference between freight and checked luggage( as opposed to carryon luggage). you can check game heads in a bag but i doubt they would fit in an overhead carryon space.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good for you man.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanajay:
That explains why Delta lost my paper work accompanying my Zim. trophy shipment that arrived in the states last week.

They did that twice with my ex-boss. Both times Ivory from Bots. Almost ended up with a seizure of tusks.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7593 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hence forth, I will not fly Delta!

One of Us
Picture of T.J.
posted Hide Post
quote:
there is a big difference between freight and checked luggage( as opposed to carryon luggage). you can check game heads in a bag but i doubt they would fit in an overhead carryon space.

How about my elephant tusks? Think those would fit? I can just wear my leopard as a headress and/or shoulder cape during the flight, so I'm less worried about that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been a platinum on Delta but am no longer since I retired

I wonder if there is s business opportunity to charter a cargo jet several times per year from Africa to Chicago or other usa cities.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have a name or email for the proper person with Delta to contact voicing opposition? I'm not going to waste my time with some customer service rep who doesn't know how to spell Africa.
I've been a big supporter of Delta, Sky MIles card, etc. No more, all goes in the trash.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let's hope someone had that contact and e mail address and phone number.
All of us should give them our opinion on this an, I will.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been getting ready to ship some stuff home by sea freight and guess what. They are not wanting to ship animal trophys either now. Have had more then one peronsay no ocean freight of animals is going on at all.

Posts: 559 | Location: macungie , Pa | Registered: 21 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of T.J.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
Let's hope someone had that contact and e mail address and phone number.
All of us should give them our opinion on this an, I will.

This may be a start:
Delta Leadership

Global Cargo? Customer Engagement and Loyalty? Cargo Operations?

I'm thinking you may have a better chance of actually getting a conversation if you start at one of the team leaders. Just a thought, though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks TJ.
There is an e mail link in what you sent.
I emailed them a constructive but direct request to reverse their ban on the shipment of legally taken game/trophies.
I hope all of you do as well.

NRA Patron member

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Jesus H Christ
What an empty heads...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Holy shit!Is this for real? My buddy and me have waited for 11 months to get our trophies from Moz to SA and finally home. They include buff and we each have our first and probably last leoprad. We always fly Delta and this is a nightmare scenario. asupposed to go back next year for 2 buff each. This is crazy!

Posts: 55 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 26 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Meaning to say we just got notice this week our trophies are in SA after an 11 month wait and still need shipped to us here in US. Un f......believable!!!

Posts: 55 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 26 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This isn't over yet.

Posts: 11945 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am picking up a shipment from Delta tomorrow that includes 2 Buffalo-- apparently just in time.

I agree with Larry, this isn't over yet. They will hear from me and I hope lots of others. I have flown Delta 12 times to Africa-I intend to point that out to them and that I have other options.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope that SCI,NRA and DSC can reach as many hunters possible and get the message out that Delta is against them and their way of life.This might make millions of gun owners and hunters think twice about flying Delta.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Lately it just never stops. One thing after another. Hopefully hunters will band together and let them know what they think about this move and boycott them.

Sadly, hunters make up a tiny percentage of the customer base. The other thing is that most will do little more than pay lip service to the issue and then keep flying with them.

Back when Air Canada implemented an extra baggage fee for firearms I told them what I thought and quit flying with them. Told all my hunters to boycott them. Sadly everyone quickly forgot, knuckled under and paid the fee and kept flying with them......... even though there were alternatives.

This could get very problematic in the near future if more and more airlines continue to jump on the bandwagon.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1808 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would also like to see a record kept of every individual`s name or identity that makes a death threat toward a hunter on any of the social media so that we can pursue them legally.It might make others think twice about what they say.I think this is what SCI,NRA and DSC should be addressing-on line hostilities towards hunters or ordinary citizens.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why are SCI and DSC not attacking. This is a legal activity and no different than not making a wedding cake simple discrimination.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What the dentist did with Cecil may, or may not, have been illegal, but he sure as God made little green frogs screwed us up royally. There are things you can do lawfully, but really shouldn't do just out of common sense.

I have a lion in RSA that isn't scheduled to ship until Oct. I'm one of the filthy rich that just writes a check for my very expensive, ego-massaging hunts.

Why, it only took me four years of damn serious saving to put the money together for this, my last safari (70 yrs old), so I guess I better
enjoy the photos.

BTW: I just read another opinion in my newspaper that said,"Since the proliferation of high-powered assault rifles which can be fired in semi-automatic or automatic mode, I suspect no one guides hunters into the African bush without a powerful backup arsenal of high-impact armaments."

John M. Crisp Tribune News Service jcrispdelmar.edu

Posts: 382 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This NYT article states that 15K American hunters travel to Africa each year. That's not an insigficant number. 15K signatures on a petition would certainly get the airline's attention.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08...mprod=nytcore-iphone

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just wrote an email to Delta explaing how we prefer to use Delta to fly with firearms and dogs to all sporting locations-especially Africa but can no longer do so unless they rescind this emotional ban on shipping legally hunted trophies. I am a asky amiles member and use Delta whenever and wherever posiible. One person can't sway them but if we all right that is a good start.

Now if SCI, DSC and others who puport to speak for us and back us up we may get somewhere. I know one thing is certain-if we do nothing and say nothing we are doomed to lose.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blackdogsrule:
Just wrote an email to Delta explaing how we prefer to use Delta to fly with firearms and dogs to all sporting locations-especially Africa but can no longer do so unless they rescind this emotional ban on shipping legally hunted trophies. I am a a sky miles member and use Delta whenever and wherever posiible. One person can't sway them but if we all right that is a good start.

Now if SCI, DSC and others who purport to speak for us and back us up we may get somewhere. I know one thing is certain-if we do nothing and say nothing we are doomed to lose.

Fixed typos.