THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Under Armour- stop whining and do something
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Under Armour- stop whining and do something
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have just returned from Alaska and have learned about the UA decision. We ARE losing. We MUST do something.

Rather than whine and moan, I have decided to do something. I have contacted UA to let them know of my displease with their decision. The following is contact info for UA:

Corporate Secretary
Under Armour, Inc.
1020 Hull St., 3rd Fl.
Baltimore, MD 21230-2080
United States

(888)727-6687 Customer Service

I sent the following letter to the Board of Directors:

Corporate Secretary
Under Armour, Inc.
1020 Hull St., 3rd Fl.
Baltimore, MD 21230-2080

I have just returned from a hunting trip to Alaska and learned of your decision to terminate a sponsorship agreement as a result of a video of a legal bear hunt conducted with a spear. I recognize your right as a company to make business decisions as you see fit. I want you to know that myself and many others disagree with your decision.

While you have exercised your right to terminate the sponsorship agreement, I want you to know what I am doing today. I am exercising my right as a consumer to not purchase any additional Under Armour products as a direct result of your decision. In fact, I am going further than that. I am spending the day going through my things and throwing out ALL Under Armour products that I can find. I will replace these with products of your competitors. I have a lot of Under Armour products including but not limited to:

Athletic shoes
Work out socks
Works out shorts
Work out shirts
Golf shirts
Golf hats
Golf Shorts
Golf Belts
Long underwear
Various T shirts
Various sweat shirts
Various camo products

There may be others. I am not done. I have a lot of your products, an awful lot of your products.

Further, I am going to notify ALL of my hunting friends of your decision in order that they can make informed decisions when future purchasing decisions are made. There are various hunting related websites that I will make sure that this matter is posted .

This was a LEGAL bear hunt. These people whinging and complaining never do anything for wildlife conservation. Do a little research and find out just how much hunters have paid for conservation under the Pittman-Robertson Act alone. It is staggering. You made a bad decision. MY decision make not mean much to Under Armour as a whole but I wanted you to know about it.

Thank you.

Posts: 11906 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I smelled this company and ran a long time ago.I am glad I never bought anything from them.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
+1 I use Cabela's Brand

Posts: 2316 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1. No UA gear anymore, neither for hunting or any other sport.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1

Posts: 87 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 27 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job Larry...I'm doing the same!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Have they gotten out of the hunting apparel market totally or just dropped one sponsorship? My apologies but just back from a couple of weeks in the RSA and have not heard the story...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7509 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2634 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
From UA
Thank you for reaching out to us and expressing your honest feedback. Josh Bowmar is not an Under Armour sponsored athlete. We do not condone the method of hunting he used to harvest this animal. Under Armour is dedicated to the hunting community and are committed to safe hunting practices that ensure a responsible and safe harvest of the animal while also keeping the hunter safe.

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Larry, well done! Josh Bowmar's wife was dropped by UA and their comments opened the door to another "cecil" bombardment from anti-hunters from around the world. UA did a dastardly thing by commenting in such a negative way and I hope they suffer the consequences. They won't falter much as their big money comes from game sports but regardless, I'm done with them, and will not support any entity that divides, rebukes, harasses or makes mental midget comments concerning legal hunting. Thanks for your post.

Here's UA's blanket statement: "Josh Bowmar is not an Under Armour sponsored athlete. We do not condone the method of hunting he used to harvest this animal. Under Armour is dedicated to the hunting community and are committed to safe hunting practices that ensure a responsible and safe harvest of the animal while also keeping the hunter safe."

I guess that means you men & women who hunt the Big 5/7, or the larger world predators are not being safe! You best not tell anyone you shot a charging Elephant, Buffalo, Lion, Leopard, Rhino, Brown Bear, Saber-tooth Grasshopper...your not safe! Your in danger and Under Armour doesn't like you! No problem, lots of their competitors will sell you their line of clothing and accessories...without over charging for their brand.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really appreciate you guys letting us know when these companies do this stupid s**t. Does anyone know if Under Armour exhibits at DSC or SCI? I know after the F&W made their asinine decision about the elephant ban I and many others gave them an earful at their booth at DSC.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 481 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've found their products lacking anyway...I have long since switched to other brands and never looked back. This is a good reminder to walk past any future UA gear and choose something else.

Thanks for posting, as I was not aware of this debacle.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Fella's, Academy Sports, Dicks, Bass Pro etc., are lining their walls to the ceiling with this over priced apparel. Quite a few options out there today and I too found UA's products to not be as claimed and for sure, not worth the price. Complain to all the stores that carry UA. That will have more consequences.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
UA, I don't see you as the hunting gustapo, your job is selling clothing..The bear was killed in much the same manner as a bow hunter, the use of a primitive weapon, and killing a Brown Bear with a spear is a dangerous proposition..

I will no longer need he use of your equipment, you ring of judgement, liberalism and for a democrat.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boycott all we want but UA going to stick with its decision. Backing away form it's decision will cause far more negative publicity than any boycott. They sent a pretty good response to Anton - its not anti hunting but it's clearly states UA is not going to support every marginal form of hunting.

This debacle has convinced me there is no shortage of idiots in the hunting industry - add in social media and we will be digging our own grave.

Let's see if Ivan Carter, Jim Schockey, Eva Schockey anyone else sponsored by UA will take a stand against UA.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
Boycott all we want but UA going to stick with its decision. Backing away form it's decision will cause far more negative publicity than any boycott. They sent a pretty good response to Anton - its not anti hunting but it's clearly states UA is not going to support every marginal form of hunting.

This debacle has convinced me there is no shortage of idiots in the hunting industry - add in social media and we will be digging our own grave.

Let's see if Ivan Carter, Jim Schockey, Eva Schockey anyone else sponsored by UA will take a stand against UA.

Mike

You're correct Mike. But yet we continue to barrage social media with our youtube videos and hero shots.

The complete lunacy defies logic and shows a complete disregard for the longevity of our sport. "Me first attitude"

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3342 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We need to be doing the same thing with the liberal media. ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN and any local network that runs biased media, we need to call out and list the sponsors and boycott all of them. The store Target has seen a net dollar loss of 7% lately because of and issue and boycotts and they are taking note. Kmart took a big hit back in the 90s and they never recovered.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

Mike

Sir: I do not agree with you very often, but we need to be emailing, calling, writing the Shockey's and Ivan Carter. Jim made himself famous hunting animals with questionable equipment. He just arrowed a buffalo on tv. An act I think is questionable but legal.

If he will take UAs money while shooting buffalo with sharp sticks, after this, then he is worse than UA. I have emailed his organization and told him so. He must publicly disavow UA.

Posts: 10606 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i disagree, even if i want that the hunters sponsored wont say a word they wont if any think they represent us they are wrong they are only there for them. good or bad i do not know but i know they wont ...

look the ar15 fiasco in USA and Jim Shockey was with you guys in the same time never a word in Canada where they are restricted and we cant use them for hunting anymore contacted him and never got a reply ...

so i wont hold my breath.

maybe our sponsored guys that are here on the forum will say more but who knows ....

Posts: 1721 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Shores: I agree something should be done, but UA's main cilent is Jim Shockey. They have made a financhile determination they need him.
He has done the same as this spear hunter. Does he really think a spear vs black bear is any different from a buffalo vs bow (last weeks uncharted). I do not have an issue with Jim Shockey's success, but if he is going to keep me as a consumer he needs to understand UA's actions against the spear hunter is a move against him. If he would rather take their money, than do what is right he does not need my money or rating point. Jim Sockey needs to adress UA make an altuitium to them or walk away from their money. He was a success before them. If he will not, then we need to walk away from him.
He did a show this year about Eva being attacked for her NC bear hunt. A hunt with a high powered rifle. He used a muzzleloader.
Pressure must be put on our celebrities to stand up. They have the commercial market sponors want. Hell, if he would just make a show inviting the guy to hunt with a UA exc, make a show about it, with information of how boars kill Cubs want more Bears kill more boar bears, and I would say job well done sir. But my money says he will not even try to make it happen. He is on the clock.

Posts: 10606 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not disagreeing that UA is running for cover on this but I think hunting a bear with a spear is a stunt, pure and simple. I am not a fan of that and would not support it. It may be legal but it is not good for hunting nor something I think demonstrates the ethics we all must demonstrate to avoid losing our privilege to hunt.

I feel the same way about a crossbow with a scope. If you want to use "primitive" weapons, a scope on a cross bow does not pass the sniff test.

I won't even go off on the permutations of muzzleloaders with the gadgetry used in them these days.

I really am not opposed to how you hunt, but lets be ethical, kill cleanly and not grandstand.

Posts: 10094 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
I don't have a problem with UA dropping her. I've seen the video and quite frankly I thought it was stupid to put it out for the public to see. Not everything you do needs to be filmed and publicized on social media.

I may be wrong but I'm seeing more and more people trying to get their 15 minutes of fame by doing antagonistic shit and in my opinion it's shameful and selfish. I don't care what the anti's think but the people that are neither for or against hunting don't need to see this stuff. It hurts us all. People get caught up in social media and judge the success of their hunts based on how many comments, likes and shares they get. Damn shame really. Want to kill something with a spear, or a rock, or your hands or however primitive you want to get and its legal then get after it, just don't video tape it, dance around like an idiot and post it on the Internet for the world to see

Only issue I will have with UA is if they stood by the Bowmars until the shit hit the fan and then dumped them. If they condoned this hunt and all and then caved then I'm done with them. If they watched the video and thought "WTF were they thinking posting that video" and then dumped them I'm 100% ok with it

These folks got what they wanted and that's attention....

Posts: 2090 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
I have never used UA gear. Hunting in Southern Africa - pack my Tag Safari provided hunting clothing. Hunting in North America - pack my Cabelas provided hunting clothing.

Cabela’s Renews SCI Sponsorship
January 9, 2015

Safari Club International is proud to announce Cabela’s has renewed corporate sponsorship for 2015. “We are honored to be partnering with Cabela’s again this year,” stated Phil DeLone, CEO of SCI. “Cabela’s has built its success on their commitment to the love of hunting and the outdoors, and SCI is a perfect fit to help fight for our hunting heritage, here and around the world.”

“Cabela’s is committed to preserving the outdoors and supporting like-minded organizations like Safari Club International in efforts to protect and expand the outdoor lifestyle,” said Lee Dolan, Cabela’s Vice President of Brand Marketing. “We are proud to renew our partnership with SCI and we look forward to supporting their efforts in the future.”

TAG Safari Clothing

Mission Statement: Helping Africa Through Trade, Not Aid

We know you will look good and feel great when you “Help us to Help Africa” - How do we do this? well, most of our products are Hand Made in Zimbabwe, Africa, at plants that employ hundreds of local people who use Local grown and processed materials, hand picked cotton that is locally processed at locally owned and operated plants, spun into high quality cotton yarn, woven into durable safari cloth, and dyed in natural colors for safari and outdoor use. This provides employment for Local Zimbabweans.

The packaging, labels and boxes are locally made from local tree pulp by locally owned and operated manufacturing facilities.

Tag Safari pays a fair wage to its employees and helps local employment. We impact up and down stream industries. We hope you will help us continue our mission to “Help Africa Through Trade and Not Aid.”

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dogcat: I agree with you, but I also think most bow hunting is a stunt. That is why I have contacted Jim Sockey. UA sponsors his stupid stunts as well. If they will gig these two over a bladed weapon kill, then all bow hunters are in danger. I say again, please email Jim Sockey (I used his outfitter page) and let him know he has to bring UA around or leave them. He is more afaired of losing us than UA is, but UA is more afraid to loose him because he and his are there celeberty foot in this market. If they will not change course he needs to leave them.
Let each man do as his concoinous dictates in this matter. I will not support UA or their paid hands who take money. JS is the main sponsored cilent bc he is precieved as the correct face of responsible hunters. They give him money. He uses that same persona to sell not only hunting but the sponsors goods.
I am JS you know my hunting, ethical, conservation stance. UA is with me a brand you can trust go buy it.
JS needs us that is why I want the pressure directed at him. UA has other markets college and pro sports.
JS needs to bring UA to us or leave them. Again, he is in the same boat as the spear hunters. He does similar stunts. He just frowns when he does it.

If any other celb hunter (Boddington) had UA for a sponsor I would do the same thing. But JS is Tiger Woods and UA is Nike. JS owes his own hunting interest and our greater community to represent us with the cooperate sponsor. He needs to know we will not be there for him if he chooses UA over hunters.

I say one last time, he made a career out of stunt hunting. UA sponsored some of his most stupid stunts (buffalo with a bow, big black bear with a bow at close range). The only difference is he is serious and they are clownish at death (a distinction but not controlling).
Please do something to let UA know there afront against hunters will not be tolerated. I just think that pressure is best directed at JS than than UA.
The issue is not that it was a stunt and should not have been aired and promoted to begin with. The issue is the antis are using it as a means to drive all hunting further down. If UA bows to them on this. I guarantee you the next time Tim Marinda or JS wounds a moose, buffalo, or mid west whitetail show guys throat shoot a deer, or zebra takes two days to be found bc of using a crossbow (Petersons Hunting) our way of life (that is the most natural way of life) will be stolen from us and our children.
If the celb has hunters are going to take money from those who are part of this robbery, I say to they can go straddle a billy goat with them too. To me they are worse then any PETA member.

JS AND Ivan Carter you are on the clock. Confront your sponsor they either bring these people back or you leave UA. If you do not make this ultimatum and follow through. Then you have lost this 28 year old lawyers household as a consumer of your media. Like I said, I would be happy with JS taking the spear hunters with UA executives on a Vancover bear hunt and mix in some biologist talking about the need to kill boars to insure stable bear numbers. Maybe the spear hunters on air appolgizeing for acting like clowns at the kill. To that I would say well done JS and thank you.

Please forgive typos and spelling I phone is being used.

One of Us
Picture of LRx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
I don't have a problem with UA dropping her. I've seen the video and quite frankly I thought it was stupid to put it out for the public to see. Not everything you do needs to be filmed and publicized on social media.

I may be wrong but I'm seeing more and more people trying to get their 15 minutes of fame by doing antagonistic shit and in my opinion it's shameful and selfish. I don't care what the anti's think but the people that are neither for or against hunting don't need to see this stuff. It hurts us all. People get caught up in social media and judge the success of their hunts based on how many comments, likes and shares they get. Damn shame really. Want to kill something with a spear, or a rock, or your hands or however primitive you want to get and its legal then get after it, just don't video tape it, dance around like an idiot and post it on the Internet for the world to see

Only issue I will have with UA is if they stood by the Bowmars until the shit hit the fan and then dumped them. If they condoned this hunt and all and then caved then I'm done with them. If they watched the video and thought "WTF were they thinking posting that video" and then dumped them I'm 100% ok with it

These folks got what they wanted and that's attention....

Agreed. I too watched the video and found the entire thing deplorable. At no point was there an ounce of respect or reverence offered for an animal who just gave its LIFE. UA should be celebrated for dropping these fools, not vilified.

Disemboweling a boar with a spear is not something to be proud of and it's certainly not something we should collectively be defending as a community. Bowmar should be ashamed of his negligence, not trying to celebrate it on YouTube.

Every time one of these buffoons tries to promote themselves with some stupid stunt like this, the entire hunting community takes it on the chin. The very future of our heritage will depend on every one of us being well spoken advocates, not blathering spear-chuckers with little regard for our quarry.

We are better than this.

Posts: 133 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 24 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I'm fine with the guy killing the bear with a spear.

But he took bad taste to new lows with his disgraceful video.

I'm not fine with that. In fact, just like UA, I condemn it.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13328 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I own a few under amour products and like the others here, am not fond of the spear use in hunting. Although I wouldn't do it and frankly have the same opinion about bow hunting or crossbow hunting, it's legal so it is the individual's choice. I understand the companies concern of boycott, negative publicity and loss of sales by the animal rights groups retaliation. Let's face facts, the hunting community is not organized and too small a buyer to change Under Armour's policy or corporate thinking.
I would not hold my breath on waiting for Shocky to come to your aid. I don't watch hunting shows, buy videos or follow these media types anyway. But, I think the ship has long sailed on Shocky making his money as a hunting guide.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
From UA
Thank you for reaching out to us and expressing your honest feedback. Josh Bowmar is not an Under Armour sponsored athlete. We do not condone the method of hunting he used to harvest this animal. Under Armour is dedicated to the hunting community and are committed to safe hunting practices that ensure a responsible and safe harvest of the animal while also keeping the hunter safe.

I refuse to deal with ANY company that calls hunting HARVESTING!

I have not seen many farmers using rifles or bows and arrows to pick their potatoes with! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66751 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
I'm fine with the guy killing the bear with a spear.

But he took bad taste to new lows with his disgraceful video.

I'm not fine with that. In fact, just like UA, I condemn it.

Actually UA condemned the hunt not the video!

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
From UA

I refuse to deal with ANY company that calls hunting HARVESTING!

I have not seen many farmers using rifles or bows and arrows to pick their potatoes with! clap

If we argue hunting is conservation and hunting supports wildlife by optimal use of a renewable resource. then in the aggregate hunting is harvesting. Not the individual act of killing an animal but the aggregate off take by hunting is a harvest. Unless we are killing the animal before the poacher gets it.

I also think it sells much better to the general public to use the word harvest than to use the word killing and especially not trophy hunting.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Curious,

Has anyone written to the government of Alberta to give their opinion regarding their decision to ban spear and atlatl hunting due to people complaining about the video?

How about you Larry?

EVERYBODY losing the legal right to hunt with these traditional tools versus one person losing a contract....

Posts: 48 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 13 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Buckeyeshooter: I agree with you about blade type weapons and hunting whole heartedly. However, I must like punishment but I do watch bc I like getting see a good hunting adventure. I enjoy hunting, stories of the hunt, and getting to go even when I cannot. I agree most is down right stupid to disgusting. I sometime watch that to be informed and let's be honest gives me something to complain to my wife about.

JS makes his money from sponsored shows. If UA wanted to suspended them/her for acting like clowns I would be fine with that. UA pulled back from her do to anti backlash. That backlash was not generated by their lack of respect at the kill, but the simple fact the kill was made with a spear. I read the story first post d on MSNBC about a week ago.

It is the spear alone that has caused the backlash. Do I think a spear used on an animal is disrespectful in itself; yes. And no amount of stoic face or right language use at the kill would change that.

However if sponsors are allowed to pull sponsorships from celb hunters because the antis say the method is wrong we will not survive. JS has far more influence than any of us. Like it or not, but without celb hunters we are doomed. Two generations of big game hunters were created in this country bc of Theadore Rose elt. Then another generation was creat d by Hemmingway, and another bc of Roark.

For me it was Boddington and Shockey. Maybe not for you, but that is how it is. Tiger brought African American youth to golf and everyone wanted to be Jordan. Some it was JA Hunter.

JS to take money from UA who drops a hunter from the public eye bc of the legal method used cannot be supported by the hunting community. He alone has the clout to effect UA's decision. He needs to stand not for these two, but all of us. Yes, you depend on JS because he is the most visible hunter carrying the hunter conservation message. If he fails and the market place (and the market place of ideas) regect him, we have all been rejected and loss our hunting rights. More importantly the animals will lose. I believe the moral faberic of our country will be lost also. A spear is no different than a bow.

I agree bladed weapons should not be used, I think killing a deer over a feeder is appalling. I do not use corn. But the majority does. But some people feel the same way about hunting with hounds. I think that opinion is uninformed. Doc hints on foot (not atvs) are one of the most physically demanding hunts one can find. But I am in the minority on that issue. I support those who support our rights and use there plateform whatever it may be (how big or small) that educate on and defend ethical hunting through conservation.

I have no issue ponting out stupid or bad actors. Ie To Mirandia bow untidy a cape buff shooting the top lungs only to have a 6 hour tracking job for the PH to stop a full on charge comming from uphill.

But UA's actions are a different issue they caved to antis crying about a bear being killed by a bladed weapon. The spear is probably on average a better killer than any bow because of the cutting radius of the spearhead. That is the only way any bladed weapons kill. The hemhiging (sp) of organs no room for error and that with the best of shots can take a lot of time.

I am not ordering anyone to do anything or violate your personal code. However, if I have convinced you that UA is not reprimanding to irresponsible hunters, but bowing to antis (outrage) over a bear dieing at the hand of hunters, I believe your best bet is to put pressure on JS.

If you wish to do nothing and feel the hunters in question are to blame. I support your right to hold that opinion. I would agree with you if that were UA's position or the MSNBC media piece that started this. I respectfully disagree that two bad actors are being given their just deserts. It is on its face about the use of all blade weapons being used to kill big game. An act I do not personally support. But it is a vailed attempt to divide hunters and rally the emotional public against us all.

UA knew what they had with these two when they first signed them. They saw a young demographic that could be marketed to. I agree in that regard she should have not been signed to begin with. But she was. If I could waive a stick and make bows and spears disappear and crossbows only for the disabled I would. But others would take away my hounds. If part of a greater vote after an information campaign one losses and the other wins; well that is democracy and elections have consequences. That is the why I am glad I won't live for ever to see it all burn down.

But we will be on the losing end of those elections if we allow the most visible among us off the hook. We will lose if we abandon the field to emotion and misinformation. We may lose if we do not self regulate and stop the stupidity. But to surrender,bto hide, to appolgize, to not even try to fight back is a garuntee for defeat. A defeat I may see in my life time.

The antis are the enemy, but it is the non hunters who as long as the believe we are hunting by a code one that gives car chase and strives to kill as humanely and quickly as possible within the confines of fair chase. That the animal is prized for the experience it gave and is fully utilized. That the fact it is utilized above any record book score is valued by the hunter taking its life. And the taking of that life had no consequence or advanced the species survival(why I say hunt elephant and kill the oldest big toothed animal you can), I believe we will have hunting for a long time.

I say this because I explained those principals to a 24 year old non hunter grad student who asked me why I hunted and why I wanted to hunt elephant. She did not become a hunter, but is a supporter of my right to do so now. She has diner with my wife and I when I fix venison. She grew up in Cinncinatti. It makes her mad when my wife tells her we had game meat and she was not invited.
She has even shot our firearms she does it own one, but now respects our ownership and understands it.

I will not win every heart and mind, but I will win more than I lose. That is the best why the JS and the hunting shows of the world are so important. They reach a larger audience.

If he will not stand up to his sponsor now. I will not support him (and yes overlook some of his stupid actions for the greater good). I ask you all to do the same.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
What the hell is wrong with politicians?

So those of us who do not like basketball, can write to them and they will ban it?

How about cricket? Baseball?

I don't like any of those sports, but I don't waste my time complaining about those who like them!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66751 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
TAG gear is pretty damn good. I don't know what sparked the UA controversy.they made a great business and have some of the best athletes on the payroll. I still think it would be cool to go out hunting in red plaid like Elmer Fudd.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cricket should be banned. No one has EVER been able to explain the rules to me.

Get back to me when you guys can agree on something and quit eating your own.

Until then no more UA.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen:

Let me clarify something. Personally, I would never hunt like this with a spear . It is indeed a stunt in my book. However,as I understand it, that type of hunting was perfectly legal at the time.

My basic position is to support all forms of legal hunting. If we don't what will be next? Bows? Rifles? .........

I guess I take the basic NRA position. I oppose anything diminishing any form of hunting .

Posts: 11906 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Gentlemen:

Let me clarify something. Personally, I would never hunt like this with a spear . It is indeed a stunt in my book. However,as I understand it, that type of hunting was perfectly legal at the time.

My basic position is to support all forms of legal hunting. If we don't what will be next? Bows? Rifles? .........

I guess I take the basic NRA position. I oppose anything diminishing any form of hunting .

Problem is this wouldn't be an issue if it weren't for those two filming the hunt and plastering it on social media. Their desire for the spotlight and need for attention put us in this position. The Bowmans did us no favors with this stunt

Posts: 2090 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bow hunting is a "stunt"? ...what a joke. Beyond ignorance

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote