THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Who has seen this melon while hunting Namibia?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who has seen this melon while hunting Namibia?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
We were there in May, and I don't recall encountering the tsamma.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/f...8b&mc_eid=8e1b7aaa56

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Very interesting! I never saw any but wow, looks a lot like a good rattlesnake watermelon, just smaller.

~Ann

Posts: 19148 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seen them, Bill, on a Namibian trip that included Sossusvlei. Also seen just south of Etosha pan at Byseewah Safaris. Did not look as lusicious as the illustration in your link.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
No, but there is some kind of mushroom that grows in the Kalahari, that everyone got excited about and it became part of dinner.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen them. I remember telling my PH that they looked like pie melons which I used to see in southern Oklahoma. After seeing your post I googled “pie melon” and found this information: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citron_melon

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
The bushmen will also store water in buried empty ostrich shells. The grass they use as a stopper has some sort of natural preservative(?) that helps protect the water. Stuff is fascinating.

one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
I saw them in Botswana. Tried one, no flavor at all.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote