Find
Notify
Tools

Allan Shearing gored by Cape Buff
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted
For those of us that have been privileged to hunt with Alan -- there is a thread on the AR Hunting Report Forum as to his encounter with a wounded Cape Buffalo. I only post this here to bring the incident and related posting to the attention of those that have had the honor to hunt with Alan and might have missed it.
I am sure we all wish him the best and a speedy recovery.

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 926 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am just back from taking over and finishing Als hunt and wanted to up date the many of you that had hunted with Al on his condition and what actually happened. Been hopless on computors I have been unable to find the thread that Woodmncty said was posted- however the below is from Al and Chad and the team.

Chad ( Als client) and Al wounded a buff early morning in thick bush. The shot looked good and they both expected to find it dead with in 100 yards or so. However unfortunatly the shot was a little low.

They then followed the old dugga boy for the better part of the day till 3pm where they caught up to it again in quite thick bush. Both Al and Chad shot it and the buff started running paralel to them where upon they both emptied their magazines into the buff.

As bad luck would have it as soon as they both had fired their last rounds the buff stopped and then charged them. The buff was coming directly for Chad who managed get behind a big mopani tree. Al then got the attention of the buff to draw it away from Chad. The buff then went for Al who fell over and was kicking the buffs bosses as it tried to gore him.

Unfortunatly the buff did manage to toss Al but credit to the game scout who managed to put a few shots in the Buff with this AK . Chad then got in the final killing shot. I think the important thing to remember was that this all took only a couple of seconds to play out. It was very unfortunate that the buff ,from running parallel, then charged them just as both Al and Chad finished their last rounds not giving them enough time to reload before it was on them.

I have heard the story from Al, Chad, the trackers and game Scout and from every account everyone involved did everything they could and behaved in a professional manner under extreme circumstances. Had it not been for the fact that Al diverted the buff attention it may well have got Chad and likewise had it not been for Chad and the Game Scout who stood thier ground and managed to shoot the buff off Al it may have been a much worse tale.

Luckily for Al there was a pilot close to camp who diverted and took Al to Harare where he was met by the Mars ambulance. He went into surgery that evening and it was decided that the following moring that Al should go to South Africa where he is now. Rosy and thier two boys, Chad and Kyle are with Al also.

With regards to his wound I have copied an email that I got from Rosy today

Hey everyone - sorry no comms for so long. Al finally out of ICU and in a ward. He is doing very well but has a hectic injury - as you can imagine. He goes in for exploratory surgery this afternoon to see what the full damage is. The recovery will be a long road but he is alive and because he is young and so fit he is healing well. No idea how long he will be in hospital and how long we will be here.

Basically he was hooked up from just next to his bum to slightly left of his scrotum. It looks like someone has taken an axe and split him open down to the bone. He has alot of bruising and its a nasty wound but luckily did not perforate the rectum or bowel or testes etc. He has to wear a bag for the forseeable future which is very hard on him (and not something to be mocked you PH's!!) but we just have to deal with that and be thankful that he is alive to wear it at all! As and when the wound has healed and plastic surgery completed they will reconnect the bowel and do away with the bag once and for all.

Thanks to you all for the phenomenal support. Has made the biggest difference to us. All love. The Shearings xxxx

I will keep you up dated as I hear from Rosy and am getting around to all the private emails that we have recieved from you all- it is just taking a little time.

Thanks once again for all your thoughts and concerns- they are much appreciated by all and I am sure Al will be up and chasing buff and eles at the beginning of next season with his normal enthusiasm!! Cheers for now Buzz

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Sorry Buzz.

Please tell Al that I am so, so sorry for his plight and I would guess many others feel the same.

I sincerely hope he recovers quickly.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19306 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buzz,

please pass along our best wishes and prayers for a full and speedy recovery. We will keep Rosy and the boys in our prayers as well.
See you in Reno.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
alan and rosy , you are in our thoughts and prayers ...it can happen to anyone and we all think it will never happen to us..

wishing you a speedy recovery

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to a brave man for a swift and full recovery.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13385 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
"wearing a bag" means he's had a diversionary colostomy to decrease chances of contamination of the wound.

Best wishes to him and his family.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife, Irra and I hunted with Alan October 2007 in the Deka area for Tuskless. After I shot a tuskless the whole herd charged us. We were out in the open and the whole sequence was filmed and incorporated in CM Safari's Zambezi Extreme video. Alan very calmly told me to get back while he held his ground and fired a single shot from his 416 into the charging matriarch's head dropping her with a perfect frontal brain shot. This immediately stopped the mass charge. I can't begin to describe how cool and professional Alan was along with his overall demeanor of being a perfect gentleman. Our prayers are with him and his family.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

A Brave man did what's right.

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigBoreCore:
My wife, Irra and I hunted with Alan October 2007 in the Deka area for Tuskless. After I shot a tuskless the whole herd charged us. We were out in the open and the whole sequence was filmed and incorporated in CM Safari's Zambezi Extreme video. Alan very calmly told me to get back while he held his ground and fired a single shot from his 416 into the charging matriarch's head dropping her with a perfect frontal brain shot. This immediately stopped the mass charge. I can't begin to describe how cool and professional Alan was along with his overall demeanor of being a perfect gentleman. Our prayers are with him and his family.

Was that not a single cow and a 458WM? A great shot by the way.

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am the Chad that Buzz is referring to and just returned home. It was quite an experience to say the least. I think Alan definitely saved me by attracting the buff's attention.

Luckily, the buff did not have much time to inflict damage because the game scout bravely rushed in with his SKS. We got the initial bleeding stopped very quickly, but unfortunately, Alan had to walk around 1km to the truck (he refused to be carried out). We got him back to camp as soon as possible, but the walk and/or ride had restarted the bleeding. One of Zim's newest qualified PHs, Antony, quickly radioed for evac and he and I treated Al while waiting for the pickup. Alan was in good spirits during the whole ordeal and even managed to hurl a few jokes/insults at Antony.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Sorry Buzz.

Please tell Al that I am so, so sorry for his plight and I would guess many others feel the same.

What Will said!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Sorry Buzz.

What Will said!

Yea, what Will said!

Best to all involved,

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear this. Rosy was my camp manager in '04. While I didn't get to hunt with Alan, he hung around camp for a couple days between his own hunts. Terrific people, both of them.

Our prayers are with you for a speedy recovery.

Kyler

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi - Rosy Shearing here. Thank you to you all for your amazing support. Have been posting updates on another page and only just found this one. Sorry!!!

Alan doing amazingly well and has been so touched by everyone's well wishes and concern. He has had the second round of reconstructive surgery and is healing well. More sore than before but am sure in some weird way thats a good thing! A fantastic hospital and great surgeons etc. It feels like our second home now!!

Hoping we will be back in Zim by the end of the month. I will continue to update you all as and when l can.

Kyler - so good to see your post. We often talk about you. Hope you are fit and well.

Best wishes to you all
Rosy and family xxxx

Posts: 21 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 03 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for the update. Hope he is indeed home soon and on the mend.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes! The good news is he is recovering quick enough to have the surgery. The bad news, he is likely pretty crabby. We pray for all of you, hope he recovers and you can all get back to the house soon. God Bless you all.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone. Al doing really well. I spent afternoon and evening with him yesterday and actually managed to get him in a wheelchair and we then went to the hospital coffee shop on a "date". So nice for Al to have a change of scenery although he was pretty uncomfortable by the time we got back to the ward! Small steps...... The bottom line (no pun intended!!! Ha ha) is that he is really coming along in leaps and bounds and for that we are so thankful. Love to you all. Rosy xxxx

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Very glad to hear the news. Fingers crossed that he continues to do well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear there is good news. Our small prayers and best wishes for a rapid and complete recovery!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Good to hear he is doing better and healing well. Say Hi for all of us.

Bill

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear that all is progressing and everyday will be better..

The best to Alan and family.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone

Al was discharged from hospital last night but on strict rest and has to go back to hospital every 2 days. He is sore and not very mobile but this will all come with time. Hoping to be home early December. Kyle (our almost 4 year old)had really bad day yesterday but seems a lot better today - very swollen.Had tonsils, grommits and adenoidectomy - did not do well with anesthetic etc.

Someone asked if Al had cracked open an icy cold beer on leaving the trauma hospital. Sadly thats not permitted as yet and the only crack has alarge iodine dressing in it!! Ha ha. Forgive me if l seem crass but l have to have humour about these things otherwise the situation would have driven me mad ages ago!!

So good to all be together again!! Thank you all for your thoughts and concern. Loads of love to you all. Rosy and family xxxx

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
the situation would have driven me mad ages ago!!

Yeah, these kind of situations are tough on everybody.

Thanks for the updates.

Keep the faith (though it may seem sometimes it is unappreciated).

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Its obvious that Alan and son have the right wife/mother to pull them through this situation.

Care like hers is equal to or more important than anything the doctors or nurses can provide at this stage.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Hi Rosey, wishing you guys a rapid return to normal life! It sounds like Alan is a good patient, and you a good nurse!

Regarding that sense of humour thing....just remember this once the merciless PH's go to work on Al! You know he's going to be the "butt" of their jokes. Aw, sorry, I shouldn't be "cracking" jokes just yet...no more wise-cracks from me! Smiler

My best to you, Al and the family, Bill

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear that his progress continues.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Rosy,

What not compromise and pour an ice cold beer over your husband's crack. I bet it would really good!

Cheers,

Mike Core

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear that Allan's recovery is progressing.

Best wishes to all,

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Someone asked if Al had cracked open an icy cold beer on leaving the trauma hospital. Sadly thats not permitted as yet and the only crack has alarge iodine dressing in it!!

That is why I love the Rhodesians.

All the best to the Shearing family. I hope they are all back on their feet and kicking ass again very soon.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ha ha. Thanks one and all. Mike Core l am chilling a bottle of Millers as l tyoe this and will try your cold and icy compromise. Will let you know result if l survive the experiment. ha ha.

Have been reading all the messages to Al who is very touched by the extent of everyones concern and well wishes. Went to see plastic surgeon today who is very happy with wound and my dodgy nursing abilities so all good. Kyle also doing better today.

Thanks and best wishes. ALan will be dictating a message for you all in the next day or so - watch this space.....

Have a happy day y'all xxxxx

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Once again, I am very pleased to hear of his progress.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rosy, Al and family,

I am so happy and encouraged by your progress. Its hard to keep a good man down!

thumb

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Its obvious that Alan and son have the right wife/mother to pull them through this situation.

Care like hers is equal to or more important than anything the doctors or nurses can provide at this stage.

Well said brother Palmer. All the best to Alan and family. We should all be so lucky to have a wife like Rosy.
Kind Regards,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
If Al gets any teasing about the ostomy, he can reply that now he doesn't have to squat behind any bushes to answer natures call.

Sounds like he is making a great recovery.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Well wishes and hoping you get well soon, sir.

Damned good show by the man on the SKS, wot? Wink

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Continued well wishes.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
God bless y'all....Thank god for the MARS system having worked!

Cautionary tale to all of os not to forget our Med-Jet and MARS suscriptions!

This can happen to the best of us (just did in fact)

Good luck Al.....

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am praying for the Shearing family and a prompt uncomplicated recovery.

Posts: 97 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alan is a very skillful and prudent professional.I hunted elephant in '06 & '08 with him in Zim. This must have been extraordinary bad luck.

Speedy recovery please!

Australia
I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

Posts: 302 | Location: Australia | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote