New
Find
Notify
Tools

Embarrassing elephant hunt
 Login/Join

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I am quite surprised that LaPierre's didn't end up in Jail by doing what they did to obscure their import!! Any of the rest of us in the USA probably would be in the Federal Pen if we tried such a stunt??!!

I have made a generous contribution to the George Douglas lawsuit... I hope many of you have also sent contributions. Note, I was pointed to this pursuit by one of the BOD who resigned very early in their term after seeing what was going on.... that could compromise BOD members personally!!

David is right, we need our 900lb GORILLA of the OLD NRA back on our side, protecting our 2nd Amendment!!

Here is Washington State, the Democratic controlled Legislature has just exposed the police by making them vulnerable to both SUIT and PROSECUTION for ANYTHING that goes wrong at a scene they are called to... whether criminal or auto accident!!

RESULT- police are NOT responding to 911 calls unless they can determine that a Felony is taking place or victims are being injured!!

Katy bar the door.... we are now faced with defending ourselves in Washington State...and there are now daily/nightly shootings in Seattle and heavy incidence of rocks and debris being thrown down on cars on the freeways thru Seattle....

Thinking about fleeing this horribly BLUE state!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2559 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote from Potterfield in the article above:

"Wayne is not a business manager, he’s a politician... He trusts his lieutenants to run the organization’s operations and sometimes they get off track..."

OH! So his lieutenants spent 300 Grand on suits for Wayne? Got it, makes perfect sense. rotflmo

Posts: 434 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like I said either Larry Potterfield gets on board course correction of the NRA, or Larry Potterfield has chosen the side of corruption against every firearm owner in America.

Midway never has anything in stock anyway.

I hope some of you with stroke is letting Larry Potterfield know his excuse making and covering for WLP is damning not to Larry Potterfield, but the Second Amendment.

I do not care about the elephant hunt.

Posts: 10836 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
It is time for WLP to go. I remember reading about him as a kid in the 80s and wondered why a Frenchman was in charge of our NRA. Obviously, I was a kid assuming such. However, he’s still in charge in 2021.

Charlton Heston was great, but was just a figurehead.

As many have said, this board is ridiculously large. The largest public companies in the world don’t have anything similar. Like politicians, they are supposed to work for us. Pfft.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Baker458:

"Wayne is not a business manager, he’s a politician... He trusts his lieutenants to run the organization’s operations and sometimes they get off track..."

OH! So his lieutenants spent 300 Grand on suits for Wayne? Got it, makes perfect sense. rotflmo

I have some of the depositions in this case. The Ack Mac CFO testifies that the NRA did not pay for the suits.

Posts: 11956 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
Originally posted by Baker458:

I have some of the depositions in this case. The Ack Mac CFO testifies that the NRA did not pay for the suits.

He might have had “donations” that paid him?

Now they claim he is a politician, may be he is getting bribed like all politicians! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66934 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is an update from George Douglas on the progress of his suit-

To bring you up to date, we filed our Motion to Intervene on June 17. I sent you the NY electronic case file link where you can see this filing and the exhibits (and download them if you like) but here's the link again:
https://iapps.courts.state.ny....IBZzF/pYP8WVQ4Sfw==& ;display=all&courtType=New%20York%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

Our motion to intervene begins with Doc. # 243 on page 4 of the case file, followed by our legal brief (# 244) and exhibits. Under NY's rules of court the opposition gets to respond, which they did, and we filed our Reply on July 20 (Document # 322 on page 5 of the case file). I have attached both of our briefs for your convenience, and if you want to see a referenced exhibit or document you can do so with the above case file link which will let you view and/or download the document by clicking its individual link. You're correct, this is a very big effort -- I have well over 300 hours of billable time in it so far.

Yesterday we were notified that the judge (Justice Joel Cohen) has set our motion for oral argument on September 9. It will be a "virtual" hearing by tele-conference, which is good since we will not be required to spend the time and money to travel to New York. There is one hour allotted for the hearing, and there are seven sets of lawyers, so I'm not sure how much we'll actually get to say besides emphasizing our main points. I expect the judge to use this as an opportunity to ask questions about any issue he is particularly concerned with, and from what he says (or doesn't say) we hope to get some idea of what his views are. But we don't expect him to take long to make a ruling based on how he has handled previous motions in this case. When we do get an order I'll update you of course.

You might help us think about some of the issues which are not technically before the court on this motion but which I expect Justice Cohen would anticipate having to deal with. Specifically:
Assume we are granted intervention, and assume we are then successful in disqualifying the Brewer firm from representing the NRA due to their serious conflicts of interest. What then?
Who selects new independent counsel for the NRA?
Certainly not LaPierre or the present do-nothing rubberstamp board that has allowed LaPierre to breach his fiduciary duties to the members for so long.
Certainly not any other firm or lawyer with any previous ties to LaPierre individually or his friends on the present board.
In other words, the NRA needs a lawyer and firm whose sole loyalty is to the NRA as an entity and therefore to its membership; who will not be subject to political pressure from other clients who are "Liberal" or anti-Second Amendment; and who will vigorously pursue not only damages and restitution from LaPierre and the other individual defendants (Frazer, Powell and Phillips) but also from all their friends who have gotten sweetheart deals, and and in some cases still are, for going along with LaPierre.
So who then would make the selection of new counsel on behalf of the NRA?
Would we want to ask the Court to appoint a temporary trustee/receiver until a new board can be elected by the members and new executive leadership appointed by the new board? The basic idea being that LaPierre and the present board would be removed immediately from further control over the NRA until the members can elect a new board.
How would a new board election be held and how would a new board be structured? For example,
How many directors?
How to assure that the overall makeup of the new board represents a cross-section of members geographically and demographically; i.e., blue collar, white collar, NRA club presidents and members alike, industry execs, and ___________ (fill in the blank) to assure the election of NRA directors with the best interests of the Association and all members at heart.
What bylaw changes are needed to assure that the members retain effective control of the board and executive leadership so that this can't happen again?
If a trustee/receiver is to be appointed, who and what qualifications should the T/R have, and what limitations should there be on their authority? Specifically,
Limitations to assure ongoing NRA normal operations and basic programs, but also to assure no change in political policy, lobbying, etc.
How to guard against the danger that the T/R would be anti-NRA.
Eventually we must face these issues, because the ultimate goal of this litigation is the reformation and rehabilitation of the NRA, and restoration to its historic missions and purposes, with the members' confidence that the Association will not ever be hijacked again.
What issues should we be thinking about that I have not touched on above?

Thank you again for your help, and anything else you choose to send, but also for your thoughts on the questions above. We need to be thinking several steps ahead of where we are or hope to be soon.

George

GEORGE DOUGLAS
Law Offices

I can add the links to the attached Pdf. files which are quite lengthy. Please PM me or if enough ask I will add each one in a REPLY.

George is seriously seeking input here. Let's have your ideas, I will pass them on or give you email contact.

I encourage all of you to join this pursuit with Contributions as I have made... as you can see, he already has consumed 330 billable hours on this action.

I hope it is successful!!

I trust that you have seen the News in the last couple of days surrounding Gov CUOMO...AND that Lititia James, Attorney General, State of NY, who headed up NRA case, is also after the Governor!!... of course, she is also running for his seat in the next Election!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2559 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
NRA peril

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
Starting over is an option ....

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L. David Keith:
NRA peril

Inability to find an underwriter for D&O insurance should be a big red flag to the Board. I am sure that a number of these folks are high net worth individuals. There is no way I would serve on the NRA board at the present time. The Board’s refusal to address the LaPierre problem is nothing short of dumbfounding.

Mike

Posts: 21207 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
George has put together some good talking points and raised serious concerns going forward.

The fact that he has amassed over 300 billable hours on this case is a pretty significant number as an intervenor still waiting on the order granting such status. No, I’m not doubting his accounting.

There is great chance WLP has many side deals and entities generating income outside his “official” NRA duties, yet inextricably intertwined with those duties. With duties come obligations.

In the end, he is no different than many politicians who enter office with a comfortable net worth, but amass a fortune while in office.

This will hack some people off here, but I still wonder why legislators are still looking to see President Trump’s tax documents from before his presidency. They claim it is to determine if he was beholden to foreign interests. I seriously doubt line 42.b is designated to list contributions from Vladimir Putin. I would like to see actual financials, not tax statements, from some of the politicians who got rich while in office on both sides of the aisle.

Rant off…

“You can’t get rich in politics unless you’re a crook.” -Harry Truman

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
NRA peril

Inability to find an underwriter for D&O insurance should be a big red flag to the Board. I am sure that a number of these folks are high net worth individuals. There is no way I would serve on the NRA board at the present time. The Board’s refusal to address the LaPierre problem is nothing short of dumbfounding.

Yup. Massive warning . I have to wonder if the board even has a clue what this means.

Regardless, they MIGHT still have some prior acts coverage IF the prior D&O policies were written on an occurrence basis. If the policies were written on a claims made basis, they are hanging on it there totally bare.

Posts: 11956 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yup. Massive warning . I have to wonder if the board even has a clue what this means.

Obviously not.

Just look who they picked to lead them!

Posts: 66934 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Friends, the NYAG has just filed an Amended Complaint...wider and deeper, only 196 pages long!!

If I thought the testimony from the Bankruptcy trial was gut-wrenching, this detailed accounting of millions and millions of obscene and illegal spending by the LaPierres will make you physically ill. The travel contract amounts indicates to me, there is something far more nefarious, especially when you read that Susan LaPierre traveled via private jet for non-NRA business, along with family members, 'washed' through Ackerman McQueen advertising contractor. The AG certainly makes the case that the Board is so complicit in aiding the obscene spending, dissolving the NRA is justified.
Goodness knows if they ordered millions in restitution is it even collectible?? NO?? In my humble opinion!!
Every sitting Board member should immediately turn in their resignation and/(or) be held to account.

With the amount of money involved, the AG is also justified in filing a criminal complaint, making the indictment of Wayne LaPierre and John Frazer.... who knows about the Board??

If you open the link below and go to page 56, you will see that the AG is claiming that LaPierres were reimbursed some $37,000 for the Botswana elephant hunt we have been talking about... and UNDER WILD SKIES received some $18million over time for that series!! WOW!!

https://iapps.courts.state.ny....ofQkWi/QYGimiwIE3Q==

Seems to me there are Troubled Waters ahead for NRA... thinking fresh start, blank slate, just saving the systems, records and membership rosters...??

IDAKNOW??

470EDDY

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Can’t wait for the fire sale on Makris’ guns to pay the legal fees. He’s got a great Hoenig 404 I’d love to get my hands on

To hell with these corrupt bastards

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Under the assumption this is all true , it is hard to believe that various parties won’t have any personal legal trouble .

I think we better be careful. What happens to gun rights if Wayne goes ?

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Under the assumption this is all true , it is hard to believe that various parties won’t have any personal legal trouble .

What if Wayne is hit by a bus? Or has a heart-attack?

Seriously... if our gun rights balance on the back of ONE guy and that organization has not planned for his departure (immediate or otherwise) there are in fact bigger problems at the NRA than just Wayne et al.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I recognize that Wayne LaPierre has been a great and strong advocate for our Second Amendment rights over the years.

But he is now dragging all of us down into a scandal of malfeasance and corruption that is badly damaging our cause, and getting worse every day.

It is past time for him to go, or be removed, and for the decent members left on the board to re-organize and reform the entire organization.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13385 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
That assumes there are enough decent members on the board to do the right thing- not a foregone conclusion….

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is sadly true. Maybe they will realize that they have no choice, if they want to avoid receivership.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
That assumes there are enough decent members on the board to do the right thing- not a foregone conclusion….

Much of the board appears clueless or at least spineless. Those who ask questions get slowly weeded out.

These board members, particularly the audit committee has massive liability as a result of their actions or inactions .

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:

Much of the board appears clueless or at least spineless. Those who ask questions get slowly weeded out.

These board members, particularly the audit committee has massive liability as a result of their actions or inactions .

Self interest!

Just as in politics!

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Larry, of course, Innocent Until Proven Guilty!! That said, the AG certainly has not fabricated this information...it had to be generated from some deep auditing??!! Too much risk and liability to be painting them with these charges frivilously??!!

Sadly, I don't think that WLP/NRA has had the eye on our gun rights for years??!!... look at the lack of NRA influence surrounding the last election!! How much influence has NRA had on Congressional issues for last few years. State issues even more... we have been 'hung out to dry' here in Washington State on gun issues, let alone Africa wildlife issues!!
It takes alot of time and influence to mastermind what is being charged... !!
I think Baxter is right... and hope there is a succession plan in place... but we are in the dark....is the Board??
If you look at the del Aquila litigation activity, you will see that David has identified a strong team to take the reigns. So I hope all would NOT be lost.
Clearly, the Board must be "cleansed" and certainly trimmed to workable size....today it is simply too big to be effective.... and apparently hand picked for influence rather than quality decision making??
We CAN'T GIVE UP!! WE NEED THE NRA!!
The bare bones would be the Documentation, Policy and Procedures, By-laws, systems and and proprietary software, and membership contacts. I even leave out Vendor information as would be vital in any other situation....probably not here!!
I wish I were younger, I would also pitch in to save the SHIP!! I am sure there are many qualified members who will volunteer??
Here's HOPING!!

470EDDY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

That says it all; period!

NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NAHC Life Member
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:

If guns rights in this country ever come down to one person no matter who they are we have far more massive problems then who runs the NRA.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure most of us, and many others not on here, will not willingly relinquish our firearms.

Now, I kind of want some of those thermals and stuff the taliban just acquired.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Provided of course it's run by folk with integrity, honesty, responsibility, accountability, people whose word conquers all and with hearts. Whatever happened to such people? We have been our own worst enemies over time, back stabbers, bullshitters, selfish, power-hungry, "f... you" attitudes.

I grew up with the understanding of a handshake was your contract. C19 has been labelled as The Great Reset, well let's hope it does usher in a new decree of integrity, all round.

Posts: 534 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neil-PH:
quote:
quote:

Provided of course it's run by folk with integrity, honesty, responsibility, accountability, people whose word conquers all and with hearts. Whatever happened to such people? We have been our own worst enemies over time, back stabbers, bullshitters, selfish, power-hungry, "f... you" attitudes.

I grew up with the understanding of a handshake was your contract. C19 has been labelled as The Great Reset, well let's hope it does usher in a new decree of integrity, all round.

Very true words.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neil PH & Saeed:

I couldn't agree more! I've spent most of my morning having conversations and messages on this subject. Having been an NRA life benefactor for many years, I can't name one board member that actually did something so outstanding it remains in my mind. What the Hell would any corporation or entity need 76 board members for? Anyone?

NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NAHC Life Member

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
L David:

Your example illustrates exactly my point above. An organization cannot be effective if it relies solely on one person at the top to be so. It has to be a solid org top to bottom. If, out of 76 board members, you cannot name a single standout as a benefactor member, I’d say that’s good evidence the whole damn thing needs a revamp.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why do they need 76 board members? Because that is what the governing documents require.

I agree the size is ridiculous. However, to change requires a change in governing documents. This is not easy nor quick to do.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why do they need 76 board members? Because that is what the governing documents require.

I agree the size is ridiculous. However, to change requires a change in governing documents. This is not easy nor quick to do.

May be it was designed that way!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

May be it was designed that way!

I’d bet that is the case.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NY AG files amendment

NRA Board members play Sheep

Evidently, corruption is the NWO! From the office of POTUS, to the FBI, to the town councils in America, the stench of lies, thievery and propaganda are running rampant. We citizens sit stoic and mumble: "This sho' smells bad!"

NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NAHC Life Member

Administrator
posted Hide Post
The links posted above are scary!

Corruption to such an extent is unbelievable!

One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
Corruption to the point where you almost don't believe the amounts being spoken of, and what the payments were even made to?

Posts: 534 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
NY AG files amendment

NRA Board members play Sheep

Evidently, corruption is the NWO! From the office of POTUS, to the FBI, to the town councils in America, the stench of lies, thievery and propaganda are running rampant. We citizens sit stoic and mumble: "This sho' smells bad!"

David, You neglected to include Most of the News Media being complicit and either enabling it or covering it up so general population carries on in the blind, believing all is well!!.... and the Billionaire Social Media folks know what they are doing.... quietly influencing society... and we move blindly on!!....
WE ARE IN TROUBLE!!

470EDDY

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neil-PH:
Corruption to the point where you almost don't believe the amounts being spoken of, and what the payments were even made to?

Mate, I had to deal with two years of this shit. White people. Thank God for our change of Government.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9867 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I read the Amended Complaint and I can’t believe the balls that Wayne LaPierre exhibited. Spending hundreds of thousands of dollars flying his wife and relatives around on chartered jets. How can he not be charged with income tax evasion for using NRA funds for purely personal activities?? He’s an arrogant evil scumbag.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If 10% of these allegations are true, the NRA, as we know it, is doomed.

Mike