Tools

Latest on DSC
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
. . . just some current information to consider for those attending DSC and planning to go unmasked (any incremental protection might be a good thing).

I am not a physician, just a person who strives to think clearly and find and analyze accurate information.

First, I would point out that the stats provided above show a survival rate of over 98.7% in the three counties cited, including in cases caused by the earlier and more fatal strains of the virus.

The tables and notes do not state that outright. They just report the number of cases, the number of deaths, infection rates and the death rate per 1,000 people, which at the reported 2.1-2.2 per thousand, does not make sense. I did the math to get the percentage of deaths as compared to the total number of cases as stated, and it comes to 1.285 per thousand.

In my view, this is another example of how US governmental authorities and the media typically over-emphasize transmissibility and infection numbers.

You have to work to get the facts on mortality/survivability, but if you do the work, you can find or develop them.

The US nationwide survival rate for people infected with COVID since the pandemic began is over 98.5%. And the Omicron strain is demonstrably far less fatal than the earlier ones. I won't get into the clearly established truth that the official death rates from COVID are amplified by misreporting. There is a difference between dying with COVID and dying of COVID that has all too often been ignored in the reporting.

But putting that aside, as I have said before, it is idiotic to shut down the world economy or impose general mandates based on such numbers. People at risk of dying from COVID-19 are those over 75 years of age, and those with co-morbidities or compromised immune systems. These people, and also people who come into regular contact with them, should be careful. In my view, they should be vaxxed to the max, although I would not force anyone to do so.

Others need not be more careful than to regularly wash their hands.

There are anomalous cases of deaths in people without known risk factors; however, it bears repeating that the most recent data published by the US CDC (57,190,371 cases; 827,879 deaths) demonstrate that more than 98.5% of those infected nationwide since the start of the pandemic - including those with the risk factors cited above - have survived.

The survival rate for those without risk factors is well above 99%.

In my personal circumstances, I will behave accordingly, which is to say that I have been triple vaxxed; I will wash my hands regularly; and I will begrudgingly wear a mask where I must.

YMMV.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13387 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
. . . just some current information to consider for those attending DSC and planning to go unmasked (any incremental protection might be a good thing).

I am not a physician, just a person who strives to think clearly and find and analyze accurate information.

First, I would point out that the stats provided above show a survival rate of over 98.7% in the three counties cited, including in cases caused by the earlier and more fatal strains of the virus.

The tables and notes do not state that outright. They just report the number of cases, the number of deaths, infection rates and the death rate per 1,000 people, which at the reported 2.1-2.2 per thousand, does not make sense. I did the math to get the percentage of deaths as compared to the total number of cases as stated, and it comes to 1.285 per thousand.

In my view, this is another example of how US governmental authorities and the media typically over-emphasize transmissibility and infection numbers.

You have to work to get the facts on mortality/survivability, but if you do the work, you can find or develop them.

The US nationwide survival rate for people infected with COVID since the pandemic began is over 98.5%. And the Omicron strain is demonstrably far less fatal than the earlier ones. I won't get into the clearly established truth that the official death rates from COVID are amplified by misreporting. There is a difference between dying with COVID and dying of COVID that has all too often been ignored in the reporting.

But putting that aside, as I have said before, it is idiotic to shut down the world economy or impose general mandates based on such numbers. People at risk of dying from COVID-19 are those over 75 years of age, and those with co-morbidities or compromised immune systems. These people, and also people who come into regular contact with them, should be careful. In my view, they should be vaxxed to the max, although I would not force anyone to do so.

Others need not be more careful than to regularly wash their hands.

There are anomalous cases of deaths in people without known risk factors; however, it bears repeating that the most recent data published by the US CDC (57,190,371 cases; 827,879 deaths) demonstrate that more than 98.5% of those infected nationwide since the start of the pandemic - including those with the risk factors cited above - have survived.

The survival rate for those without risk factors is well above 99%.

In my personal circumstances, I will behave accordingly, which is to say that I have been triple vaxxed; I will wash my hands regularly; and I will begrudgingly wear a mask where I must.

YMMV.

A big reason that Omicron is less deadly because over 70% of the adult population is vaccinated and a significant amount of the population has already had one of the covid variants.

If you are older and not vaccinated, I don't think Omicron anything to play around with.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1284 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
Canceling today, just came down with the flu, rapid test negative. Oh well, that’s three in a row, I have now missed.

Posts: 752 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be there tomorrow.
No fear here.

Posts: 10150 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
coming in tomorrow

Posts: 1851 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Blue Devil:

A big reason that Omicron is less deadly because over 70% of the adult population is vaccinated and a significant amount of the population has already had one of the covid variants.

If you are older and not vaccinated, I don't think Omicron anything to play around with.

I don't disagree and said the same thing in my post - except that Omicron is significantly milder in its symptoms and rarely fatal even in nations, like South Africa, with vaccination rates in the 35 percent range.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13387 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
En route to Dallas now but our connecting flight is delayed. Fingers crossed as we are really looking forward to the show.

"The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching". - John Wooden

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flying in tomorrow night. See ya'll there.

Posts: 10007 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ll be there also, and hope to connect with a few AR members.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am here at the convention today (Thursday) but it appears no one has made use of the AR room (D161)

John Richardson
No Lawyers - Only Guns and Money
Http://onlygunsandmoney.com

Posts: 67 | Location: Asheville, NC  | Registered: 21 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m here and haven’t seen any masks.
You won’t find me in a mask anytime.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I'll be there tomorrow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was there today. I would say about 2/3rd fill typical of a Thursday.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son and I will be there tomorrow.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1284 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
Was there today. I would say about 2/3rd fill typical of a Thursday.

EZ

I was there, too - I think that was about right. Not bad for an attendee - I was able to talk with everyone I wanted to talk to - without having to go back multiple times until they were free.

Posts: 675 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
There seemed to be a noon to 3:00 rush, but I still think many were basically local attendees. Saturday will be the real test, in my opinion.

Our problem, as with many outfitters, is the calendar being full with carryovers. It’s still great seeing everyone. Will there be many positives? It’s likely, unfortunately.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
ill miss again this year, due to work,,, y'all enjoy!!

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had to cancel due to work, then I wound up testing positive for COVID this morning. I was screwed either way, but I’m glad I’m at home to quarantine.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How is the show this year? Is it worth a long drive in the rain to get there for a 1/2 day?

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sid Post:
How is the show this year? Is it worth a long drive in the rain to get there for a 1/2 day?

I bagged it . Ends up a good thing I did . I just got back from the hospital . I either have pneumonia or Covid.

I can only tell you what I was told . It is smaller. There was a fair amount of foot traffic yesterday. Some did quite well.

Posts: 11958 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sid Post:

I wouldn’t make a long drive in the rain to see anything for a half day. And I have been to DSC many times but not this year.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I cancelled my flights a week ago. I was duck hunting in Idaho and came down with a head cold, so figured I should cancel as nobody wants to be near anyone with a sniffle these days. I went to the doctor a couple days ago, turns out it was COVID. Pretty much over my ‘cold’ now and past the 5 day quarantine period too, but good thing I cancelled.

Instead, heading back to the mallard wars in Idaho in a few days.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BEGNO:
I’m here and haven’t seen any masks.
You won’t find me in a mask anytime.

This doesn't surprise me, from a man who has ridden a Cape buffalo.

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a bunch of outfitters leaving tomorrow I suspect we will start hearing about those that tested positive for covid or couldn’t get test results in time. I set up covid testing for a couple of guys and there is so much covid in DFW that many sites were out of test kits, others were booking tests 4 or 5 days out and still others were saying 48 hours for results, but some of them would get results back in 8 hours for an expedite fee of $300-350. I think the airlines check the covid test forms a bit closer in the US than some other places so it might be harder to pass off a fake test form over here.
Going to be interesting to hear how many AR show visitors test positive in the next week or so.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2745 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
With a bunch of outfitters leaving tomorrow I suspect we will start hearing about those that tested positive for covid or couldn’t get test results in time. I set up covid testing for a couple of guys and there is so much covid in DFW that many sites were out of test kits, others were booking tests 4 or 5 days out and still others were saying 48 hours for results, but some of them would get results back in 8 hours for an expedite fee of $300-350. I think the airlines check the covid test forms a bit closer in the US than some other places so it might be harder to pass off a fake test form over here.
Going to be interesting to hear how many AR show visitors test positive in the next week or so.

I get the feeling its just a matter of time before we all start testing positive periodically..

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a place in Orlando and quite a few other cities (not Dallas) where there is a sliding scale fee to get results quickly. Thursday night , I paid $395 to get results in 30 minutes .

As large a city as Dallas is, I can not help but think something similar is available.

Posts: 11958 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
There is a place in Orlando and quite a few other cities (not Dallas) where there is a sliding scale fee to get results quickly. Thursday night , I paid $395 to get results in 30 minutes .

As large a city as Dallas is, I can not help but think something similar is available.

And for a 100 dollars more guaranteed to be negative rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66936 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PT Barnum testing site?

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep, there are several that promise fast results, all are expensive and those I contacted all said they had test kits. The fees quoted ranged from $225 near DFW to $350 near downtown/Love Field. Result time promises varied from 45 min to 8 hours (the 8 hour result was the most expensive and strangely enough was the closest to the convention center!).

Karl Evans

Posts: 2745 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
The entire testing industry popped up overnite. You can be sure they are lobbying to never do away with testing..

Something tells me they would love to see testing for domestic air travel!!

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yep, there are several that promise fast results, all are expensive and those I contacted all said they had test kits. The fees quoted ranged from $225 near DFW to $350 near downtown/Love Field. Result time promises varied from 45 min to 8 hours (the 8 hour result was the most expensive and strangely enough was the closest to the convention center!).

The bigger risk for overseas exhibitors visiting is what do you do when you test positive. May be asymptomatic or very mild symptoms like a cold.

Where do you do stay ?

My overseas fishing trip got cancelled - they imposed a 7day quarantine.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
quote:

The bigger risk for overseas exhibitors visiting is what do you do when you test positive. May be asymptomatic or very mild symptoms like a cold.

Where do you do stay ?

Mike

Once they make it to the US it should not be a problem right? We have no testing requirements within the states...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Powell:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Where do you do stay ?

Mike

Once they make it to the US it should not be a problem right? We have no testing requirements within the states...

Getting back home.

No covid test - you are not getting on a international flight.

Test positive - you are not getting on a plane.

Where do you stay in the us as a covid positive dsc exhibitor. Tough to hit up clients saying I am positive can I stay at your place 1-2 weeks.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Powell:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Where do you do stay ?

Mike

Getting back home.

No covid test - you are not getting on a international flight.

Test positive - you are not getting on a plane.

Where do you stay in the us as a covid positive dsc exhibitor. Tough to hit up clients saying I am positive can I stay at your place 1-2 weeks.

Mike

I assumed many of them are staying thru the SCI convention and them smaller events.. I know many of my RSA friends stay thru most of March... A couple of them come stay with me and visit clients..

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
My travel agent advised me that a negative COVID test is required on all flights, including domestic... Hawaii is a real stickler... and if you are 10 minutes expired at departure time, you are off!!

Last night on the local Palm Springs news, they were showing waiting lines for testing of 4 to 6 hours... and many missing flights, compounding the confused schedules and weather/crew cancellations!!

We still have to test to go to Canada, and return, driving. They are timing to the minute on expirations at the border too!!

We are driving over to Las Vegas from Palm Springs... I will bet my RN/ARNP wife will also enforce masks at the Convention and Beinfeld Gunshow??!! 4 close friends, 2 being medical professionals are suffering bad symptoms requiring steroids,inhaler. and cough suppressants!! It ain'tover yet... but this current rage is building herd immunity!!

Hope to see you at SCI/Beinfeld!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2559 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
My travel agent advised me that a negative COVID test is required on all flights, including domestic... Hawaii is a real stickler... and if you are 10 minutes expired at departure time, you are off!!

Who knows what will happen in the future, but I can assure you that I flew from Oklahoma to Dallas and back on Thursday, on American Airlines, with no Covid test required in either direction. FWIW, the security lines were short, and the flights were on time.

Posts: 675 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
COVID tests are not required on domestic, continental flights.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I think somebody needs a new travel agent……… coffee

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:

Last night on the local Palm Springs news, they were showing waiting lines for testing of 4 to 6 hours... and many missing flights, compounding the confused schedules and weather/crew cancellations!!

We still have to test to go to Canada, and return, driving. They are timing to the minute on expirations at the border too!!

We are driving over to Las Vegas from Palm Springs... I will bet my RN/ARNP wife will also enforce masks at the Convention and Beinfeld Gunshow??!! 4 close friends, 2 being medical professionals are suffering bad symptoms requiring steroids,inhaler. and cough suppressants!! It ain'tover yet... but this current rage is building herd immunity!!

Hope to see you at SCI/Beinfeld!!

CheerZ,

You need a different travel agent. Tests have not been required in Hawaii for several months now if you are vaccinated. I travel there every couple of months.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting, things are changing every day!! Friend who has had the Delta Variant, not vax'd, just cancelled on SCI/BEINFELD..."because of COVID"... I was assuming testing??!!
I guess Hawaii is not considered Domestic... still required last week...
Guess all we can do is check...do what is necessary??!!
Sure makes planning fun!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2559 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote