Tools

Latest on DSC
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I wish I could understand this.

A friend is visiting his parents who live in Dubai, from Sri Lanka.

He is two young children, 5 and 2.

They are staying at their parents house.

Everyone is happily enjoying their break, no symptoms whatsoever.

The father ha to go back so had to take a PCR test.

Positive.

No sign of any illness whatsoever.

He has to cancel his flight.

Mother and kids test negative.

Living in one room.

Mother is a doctor.

They stayed together.

Three days later, still in isolation.

The mother takes PCR test.

Negative!!??

He still tests positive, but no sign of any illness??

That sounds like our experience last year.

On Christmas 2020, we had a family gathering. An infected person was in the group. My son and I got Covid, but my wife and daughter tested negative 4 times each.

The only symptom we had was a loss of smell for about 5 days. We had no fever or anything else. I went for 2 mile runs everyday during my quarantine. I also worked from home. It was a complete non-event.

On the other hand 3 unvaccinated men (ages between 45 and 52) from home town recently died from Covid over the space of 10 days.

The range of outcomes is unbelievable!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1283 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not understand the point on non symptomatic folks not being allowed to return home. The virus and omicron are already over widespread.

Let folks go home.

Just like the African travel ban. The Omicron was already widespread here.

At least let those who test negative go home.

Posts: 10825 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
I do not understand the point on non symptomatic folks not being allowed to return home.

I can think of at least a couple of reasons an airline might not be keen to do that. One would be the pilot and flight attendant unions. Cannot imagine the unions would be happy to have their members forced to operate a flight that might have multiple asymptomatic but infected passengers on board. Two would be the potential liability the airline might face if they allowed asymptomatic but infected passengers on board and as a consequence an uninfected passenger contracted the virus and had serious complications or died. Besides who wants the seat next to the asymptomatic, infected passenger?

Mike

Posts: 21200 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, now it appears we have FLURONA. a combination of both. Israel today. 1st case. The Flu is harder to avoid so if this starts spreading it could be a booger. They don't know yet.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have decided to stay home . There has been a massive post Christmas surge . I imagine there will also be a surge post NYE.

In the final analysis , there is too much risk given our underlying health issues.

I hate it . It is the prudent thing to do.

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Totally get it, Larry.

The unpredictability of this damned thing is amazing, not to say confounding.

Like nothing else, ever.

Our daughter just got over this, with nothing more than a slight fever and a brief loss of her sense of taste.

Both Lindy and I closely interacted with her daily while she was supposedly infectious (we are both triple Pfizer vaxxed), and neither of us got it.

Now our son and daughter-in-law have the damned thing.

Minor symptoms in her case, none in his.

We were never going to Dallas, but we are still planning to go to SCI, which is still three weeks away.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Totally get it, Larry.

The unpredictability of this damned thing is amazing, not to say confounding.

Like nothing else, ever.

Our daughter just got over this, with nothing more than a slight fever and a brief loss of her sense of taste.

Both Lindy and I closely interacted with her daily while she was supposedly infectious (we are both triple Pfizer vaxxed), and neither of us got it.

Now our son and daughter-in-law have the damned thing.

Minor symptoms in her case, none in his.

We were never going to Dallas, but we are still planning to go to SCI, which is still three weeks away.

The unpredictability of the impact on individuals is a major concern. At age 66 with underlying health issues, the risk is greater for me. My busy season is just getting started next week. We are short staffed like the rest of the world. Getting COVID would be a disaster for me even if it wasn’t bad.

I have two partners down with it now. They have two kids down with it. My youngest stepdaughter’s boy friend has it .

We are still planing on going to SCI.

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
I do not understand the point on non symptomatic folks not being allowed to return home.

I can think of at least a couple of reasons an airline might not be keen to do that. One would be the pilot and flight attendant unions. Cannot imagine the unions would be happy to have their members forced to operate a flight that might have multiple asymptomatic but infected passengers on board. Two would be the potential liability the airline might face if they allowed asymptomatic but infected passengers on board and as a consequence an uninfected passenger contracted the virus and had serious complications or died. Besides who wants the seat next to the asymptomatic, infected passenger?

The virus is so widespread the mitigation just is not there. The plane staff can get it just as easy at the airport or carry it in.

The horse is done out of the barn and running through the mountains. Get the shots and wear the mask in public, tight spaces.

Of course, President Biden’s CSC said folks can go back to work wo a negative test. So, let folks go home.

Posts: 10825 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
There is no testing prior to US domestic flights.

Testing prior to international flights is a total farce. The virus is ubiquitous.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

The virus is so widespread the mitigation just is not there. The plane staff can get it just as easy at the airport or carry it in.

The horse is done out of the barn and running through the mountains. Get the shots and wear the mask in public, tight spaces.

Of course, President Biden’s CSC said folks can go back to work wo a negative test. So, let folks go home.

Asymptomatic people with the virus can still be contagious.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got over it. My entire family tested positive last week. 10 of us at my mother's funeral (everyone masked, crap doesn't work). Everyone vaccinated fully except me. Thursday I got tired, headache, felt like crap and ran a low grade fever. I started the Ivermectin and Hydroxychloroquine immediately, I ran bobcats this morning at my farm until the rain shut us down. I got a little nasal congestion but feel fine.

Posts: 151 | Location: NC | Registered: 11 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Asymptomatic people with the virus can still be contagious.

I know that, but the CDC does not care to send such folks back to work with Covid, so why keep such folks from coming home?

The virus is too wide spread to be contained with such quarantines.

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

The unpredictability of the impact on individuals is a major concern. At age 66 with underlying health issues, the risk is greater for me
We are still planing on going to SCI.

I just pulled the plug for DSC as well. My girlfriend and I were going to stay at her 80 year old dad's place and were also going to take him on Day 2. He has beat prostate cancer in the past but I am sure that has impacted his immune system. I just don't want to take a chance on giving it to him or him getting it at the show.

We will drive to SCI though as Vegas is a 3.5 hour drive from Southern CA.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know at least 15 people who got it since Christmas. Thankfully none have more than mild flu symptoms yet. None of them went to any large gatherings, just small groups. And some not even that.
In summary I think if you are going to a convention or other large gathering, go with the assumption that you will get infected and be prepared for the consequences. To think otherwise is being foolishly hopeful. I don’t see SCI being any different.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vvreddy:
I know at least 15 people who got it since Christmas. Thankfully none have more than mild flu symptoms yet. None of them went to any large gatherings, just small groups. And some not even that.
In summary I think if you are going to a convention or other large gathering, go with the assumption that you will get infected and be prepared for the consequences. To think otherwise is being foolishly hopeful. I don’t see SCI being any different.

I completely agree.

Today I just learned of three more friends that tested positive. That makes well over 20 people that I know that have tested positive since Christmas. All are vaccinated, but not all have had the booster. A couple younger guys, (both in their 30's vaccinated but no booster), were very sick but both are getting better now. All the others only had mild symptoms or asymptomatic.

I think if you go to any large convention type gatherings, you will be exposed to Omicron. You may not catch the virus, but you will be exposed to it.

I just finished a West Texas Mule hunt that was hotel based. Our group was out in restaurants every night for dinner. At this point, I'd be surprised if at least some of our group doesn't have Omicron.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1283 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think two weeks later may be over the hump if you will . Plus all of Vegas has a mask requirement.

I personally sat in a meeting in Mandalay where staff from the hotel explained their virus precautions. It was impressive.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
I personally sat in a meeting in Mandalay where staff from the hotel explained their virus precautions. It was impressive.

Presumably, a meeting is not one of their precautions?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9865 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Blue Devil:
quote:

I completely agree.

Today I just learned of three more friends that tested positive. That makes well over 20 people that I know that have tested positive since Christmas. All are vaccinated, but not all have had the booster. A couple younger guys, (both in their 30's vaccinated but no booster), were very sick but both are getting better now. All the others only had mild symptoms or asymptomatic.

I think if you go to any large convention type gatherings, you will be exposed to Omicron. You may not catch the virus, but you will be exposed to it.

I just finished a West Texas Mule hunt that was hotel based. Our group was out in restaurants every night for dinner. At this point, I'd be surprised if at least some of our group doesn't have Omicron.

I know three people who tested positive (two using rapid testing, one using a home kit) who then took a PCR tests; all three were negative on the PCR test.

IMHO, a PCR is the only test worth taking.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
quote:

I completely agree.

I know three people who tested positive (two using rapid testing, one using a home kit) who then took a PCR tests; all three were negative on the PCR test.

We heard something similar from an ER nurse.

One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
There is no testing prior to US domestic flights.

Testing prior to international flights is a total farce. The virus is ubiquitous.

"The virus is ubiquitous" Accurate observation, ledvm.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

As I recall, there has always been some sort of "crud" that got passed around at DSC. Usually a minor URI that everybody complained about. I don't see how covid would be any different. If you go to a large gathering you should be prepared to get sick and hope you don't.
kh

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
quote:

I completely agree.

The problem with a PCR test is it can take 1 1/2 days to get results back. By then, you may have been exposed again LOL! jumping

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13141 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I'm going and I guess we'll find out if I'm really bullet proof.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wife and I are going. Looking forward to it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will be there with my girlfriend for the first 3 days. Can't wait

Posts: 81 | Location: Buckholts, Texas | Registered: 11 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
"Well I'm going and I guess we'll find out if I'm really bullet proof."

For what it's worth, I had the original COVID a year ago November. I then subsequently had BOTH vaccine shots (Moderna) AND then the booster in late August. I am now just getting over Omicron, along with most of my family. It was brought to us by some of our kids that had been in Mexico vacationing in Cabo San Lucas just prior to coming to our home for Christmas. They had been tested prior to boarding the plane to come here and supposedly tested negative. We had already had the two vaccine shots(either Moderna or Pfizer) and one had had the Johnson and Johnson one shot. Some of us had had the booster as well. So, never say never. I have been told that many, if not all, will likely get Omicron because it is so highly contagious. Who knows. I believe that no one is safe from Omicron in spite of vaccinations, boosters and having had Covid before. Just my experience.

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
I don't see how any of us can avoid eventually getting the omicron strain - is it logical to say that it is becoming just another flu strain? If it is weakening in severity and more contagious its gonna spread like all other "flu viruses" right?

I'm vaxed and boosted and am pretty sure I had omicron right after Christmas.. no need to get tested, I just got better.. It was no different that any other time I've had the "creeping crud"...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Powell:
I don't see how any of us can avoid eventually getting the omicron strain - is it logical to say that it is becoming just another flu strain? If it is weakening in severity and more contagious its gonna spread like all other "flu viruses" right?

I'm vaxed and boosted and am pretty sure I had omicron right after Christmas.. no need to get tested, I just got better.. It was no different that any other time I've had the "creeping crud"...

I’m no doctor, but this makes the most sense to me. And we cannot shut down our economy every time someone gets the flu. We never have in the past. And the Omicron strain, while more contagious than Delta, doesn’t seem to be very dangerous, or at least no more than the common flu that kills people every year. Eventually, I think we will treat COVID just like the flu. They will both return every year in the future, but COVID will mutate into something no more dangerous than the common flu. Perhaps it already has?

Just my 2-bits from a non-medical person.

Posts: 2587 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll work from home for a week after DSC to make sure that I don't infect anyone else But I won't catch anything. Never do.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It will be interesting. I wonder how many will have flight issues? Seems to be common these days.

I hope it goes well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just spoke with George Caswell, he is enroute , going to set up today. He said he looks for a lot of "Regulars" at DSC are telling him they are staying home this year. I am driving over tomorrow morning early. Lots of my "safari?/hunting friends" are not going either.
I am going to forget health scares and go on with my life.
Safe Travel to all , and I hope all here who attend will fare safe and healthy.
Let's get on with Life

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
I'm not attending DSC but I am attending SCI and the Friday following Vegas I am flying to Belize on a fishing trip.

I probably screwed myself and will end up testing positive upon return from SCI and have to reschedule my Belize trip...

But... I can no longer go on worry about it! Worrying about all the restrictions and logistical bullshit is driving me insane!

Like mel5141 said - I am going to get on with my life!

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not attending DSC but I am attending SCI and the Friday following Vegas I am flying to Belize on a fishing trip.

I probably screwed myself and will end up testing positive upon return from SCI and have to reschedule my Belize trip...

But... I can no longer go on worry about it! Worrying about all the restrictions and logistical bullshit is driving me insane!

Like mel5141 said - I am going to get on with my life!

Totally agree with both of you. I was originally going to fly from Burbank to Vegas to attend SCI but now I am going to drive. This isn't due to the fear of Omicron but because the airlines are a mess. I am fortunate to live close enough to Vegas that I can do this. I am definitely going but I can understand why some will not due to travel issues, not Covid itself. It is time to get on with life.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1848 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I pondered it over serious like. Dr. Marine who developed the MRNA process you can do a nasal rinse and it will kill the airborne virus. He said don't wear the mask. It does zero.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Fisk:
I pondered it over serious like. Dr. Marine who developed the MRNA process you can do a nasal rinse and it will kill the airborne virus. He said don't wear the mask. It does zero.

Not disputing what you were told . I have multiple surgeons in my family. Graduates of Ivy League medical schools. For example , second in their class at Harvard Medical School. They say wear the masks .

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that unless they are N95 masks or better, they will not protect the wearer from infection, and may, I repeat, may, protect others from an infectious wearer.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Masks will only be partially effective at close quarters but offer no guarantee either.
Besides, the large volumes required and limited production capabilities in churning out these masks has also led to inferior qualities to appear on the market.

Geez, just look at what Biden wears ... sure as hell looks like ordinary cloth to me. Big Grin

Posts: 1904 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . just some current information to consider for those attending DSC and planning to go unmasked (any incremental protection might be a good thing).

Mike

Posts: 21200 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
I will avoid the mask debate...

What about your hands - this is the big one in my opinion.

I everyday see people wearing masks

- open the restroom door to exit
- Place CC in machine then sign
- Push a cart around the store
- Handle a gas pump
- Open to cooler door at the Quickmart for a gallon of milk

And........ then reach up, take off their mask, rub their eyes, light a cigarette, eat a sandwich....

Masks might help gut I am betting 99% is NOT contracted thru breathing the air without a mask.

To me it is a false sense of security....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will avoid the mask debate...

What about your hands - this is the big one in my opinion.

I everyday see people wearing masks

- open the restroom door to exit
- Place CC in machine then sign
- Push a cart around the store
- Handle a gas pump
- Open to cooler door at the Quickmart for a gallon of milk

And........ then reach up, take off their mask, rub their eyes, light a cigarette, eat a sandwich....

Masks might help gut I am betting 99% is NOT contracted thru breathing the air without a mask.

To me it is a false sense of security....

https://www.webmd.com/lung/cor...ransmission-overview