New
Find
Notify
Tools

Latest on DSC
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I doubt Dallas is shutting down. NYC is not shutting down with its current surge.

I doubt DSC faces any restrictions.

But I will bet that come early Jan - Dallas and most of non sunbelt America will be seeing Omicron covid rates near all time highs just like NYC is seeing now.

No one in Florida and I have heard from friends in Texas no one there either are overly concerned with omicron or covid.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
What ever happened to the old saying that it's not how he died, but how he lived. I've got news for the powers at be. We're all going to die sometime. I'm not willing to put my life on hold until they say it's safe for me me live my life.

Well said.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen his blustering tweets, we all have. It would be a political career ender if he tried another shut down of business in a strong business community that already sees him as Public Enemy No#1. He is a power hungry Dem, but too smart to do it. Lets just wait and see instead of stirring doubt.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biden says he's considering lifting travel ban on southern African countries put in place to limit spread of Omicron
https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/21...n-omicron/index.html

One of Us
Picture of KMG Hunting Safaris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vvreddy:
Biden says he's considering lifting travel ban on southern African countries put in place to limit spread of Omicron
https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/21...n-omicron/index.html

3rd of Jan is my cutoff. If it opens up before then, I will make it to Dallas.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Cell, Whats App, Signal + 27 82 8205387
E-mail: info@huntsafaris.co.za
Check us out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kmghuntingsafaris
Instagram: @kmg_hunting_safaris

Posts: 1362 | Location: Eastern Cape | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Fulson:
I have seen his blustering tweets, we all have. It would be a political career ender if he tried another shut down of business in a strong business community that already sees him as Public Enemy No#1. He is a power hungry Dem, but too smart to do it. Lets just wait and see instead of stirring doubt.

Make no mistake,I want the show to happen. However , given this guys past history and his current comments, it seems that there is a significant question about the matter at bare minimum.

This is the guy who just sued and won over the governor’s mask policy.

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Fulson:

Make no mistake,I want the show to happen. However , given this guys past history and his current comments, it seems that there is a significant question about the matter at bare minimum.

This is the guy who just sued and won over the governor’s mask policy.

Yes, the guy loves his power and is unpredictable.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biden may be lifting the travel ban on the seven south African countries. If so, it is about time.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news...s-omicron-travel-ban

John Richardson
No Lawyers - Only Guns and Money
Http://onlygunsandmoney.com

Posts: 67 | Location: Asheville, NC  | Registered: 21 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Richardson:
Biden may be lifting the travel ban on the seven south African countries. If so, it is about time.

Clearly, the bans have done nothing to stop the spread.

There are rumors circulating ( in DC) about when the ban will be lifted. The earliest date rumored would make DSC quite the challenge. Not impossible but a major challenge. The latter date being mentioned is after the close of DSC.

Time will tell.

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KMG Hunting Safaris
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by John Richardson:

Clearly, the bans have done nothing to stop the spread.

There are rumors circulating ( in DC) about when the ban will be lifted. The earliest date rumored would make DSC quite the challenge. Not impossible but a major challenge. The latter date being mentioned is after the close of DSC.

Time will tell.

Larry, would you care to share what the rumoured earliest date is?

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Cell, Whats App, Signal + 27 82 8205387
E-mail: info@huntsafaris.co.za
Check us out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kmghuntingsafaris
Instagram: @kmg_hunting_safaris

Posts: 1362 | Location: Eastern Cape | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
January 3.

Again this is all rumor out of DC. NOT official.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . still have to get the airlines to resume flights.

Travel Restrictions to Be Lifted

Exclusive-U.S. to lift travel curbs on eight African countries - source
© Reuters
By David Shepardson

(Reuters) - The Biden administration will lift travel restrictions on eight southern African countries imposed last month over concerns about the fast-spreading COVID-19 Omicron variant, a senior administration official told Reuters.

Foreign nationals who are barred from the United States because they have been in one of the eight countries within the prior 14 days will again be allowed on U.S.-bound flights leaving after 12:01 a.m. ET on Dec. 31, the official added.

The United States on Nov. 29 barred nearly all non-U.S. citizens who had recently been in South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Mozambique and Malawi in an "abundance of caution" over the variant detected in South Africa.

The official said U.S. public health agencies had recommended lifting the travel restrictions because retaining them would have not a significant impact on U.S. cases given the widespread current U.S. transmission, confidence that an Omicron-specific vaccine would not be necessary and that existing vaccines and booster shots are highly effective.

"This travel pause has served its purpose. It bought time to understand the science, it gave time to analyze the variant," the official, who did not want to be identified because the decision has not yet been made public, told Reuters.

"This was not meant to keep Omicron out. We knew we couldn't do that. The point was to reduce the number of cases coming in - in those early days and weeks."

The restrictions have not prevented flights or Americans from returning from southern Africa.

Top infectious disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci said on Monday that lifting the restrictions was likely "because we have enough infection in our own country... We're letting in people from other countries that have as much or more infection than the southern African countries."

President Joe Biden said Tuesday he was considering reversing the restrictions.

The official emphasized the restrictions were meant to be temporary and lifting them after about a month "sends a pretty clear signal that there's not going to be a significant penalty" for coming forward to disclose new variant information.

The United States had only lifted travel restrictions on South Africa on Nov. 8 put in place since late January to address COVID-19 concerns.

In the wake of Omicron, the United States tightened testing rules for international travelers and extended a requirement to wear masks on airplanes and at airports through March 18.

On Dec. 6, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) toughened testing rules for international air travelers arriving in the United States, requiring them to obtain a negative COVID-19 test within one day of travel.

Under prior rules, vaccinated international air travelers could present a negative test result obtained within three days of their day of departure.

CDC last week started distributing free COVID-19 home test kits to international travelers at several airports. The CDC encourages - but does not mandate - international air travelers to get a new COVID-19 test three to five days after arriving in the United States.

The CDC last month ordered airlines to disclose passenger names and other information about those who have recently been in the eight southern African countries.

Mike

Posts: 21200 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

© Reuters
By David Shepardson

(Reuters) - The Biden administration will lift travel restrictions on eight southern African countries imposed last month over concerns about the fast-spreading COVID-19 Omicron variant, a senior administration official told Reuters.

Foreign nationals who are barred from the United States because they have been in one of the eight countries within the prior 14 days will again be allowed on U.S.-bound flights leaving after 12:01 a.m. ET on Dec. 31, the official added.

The United States on Nov. 29 barred nearly all non-U.S. citizens who had recently been in South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Mozambique and Malawi in an "abundance of caution" over the variant detected in South Africa.

The official said U.S. public health agencies had recommended lifting the travel restrictions because retaining them would have not a significant impact on U.S. cases given the widespread current U.S. transmission, confidence that an Omicron-specific vaccine would not be necessary and that existing vaccines and booster shots are highly effective.

"This travel pause has served its purpose. It bought time to understand the science, it gave time to analyze the variant," the official, who did not want to be identified because the decision has not yet been made public, told Reuters.

"This was not meant to keep Omicron out. We knew we couldn't do that. The point was to reduce the number of cases coming in - in those early days and weeks."

The restrictions have not prevented flights or Americans from returning from southern Africa.

Top infectious disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci said on Monday that lifting the restrictions was likely "because we have enough infection in our own country... We're letting in people from other countries that have as much or more infection than the southern African countries."

The official emphasized the restrictions were meant to be temporary and lifting them after about a month "sends a pretty clear signal that there's not going to be a significant penalty" for coming forward to disclose new variant information.

The United States had only lifted travel restrictions on South Africa on Nov. 8 put in place since late January to address COVID-19 concerns.

In the wake of Omicron, the United States tightened testing rules for international travelers and extended a requirement to wear masks on airplanes and at airports through March 18.

On Dec. 6, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) toughened testing rules for international air travelers arriving in the United States, requiring them to obtain a negative COVID-19 test within one day of travel.

Under prior rules, vaccinated international air travelers could present a negative test result obtained within three days of their day of departure.

CDC last week started distributing free COVID-19 home test kits to international travelers at several airports. The CDC encourages - but does not mandate - international air travelers to get a new COVID-19 test three to five days after arriving in the United States.

The CDC last month ordered airlines to disclose passenger names and other information about those who have recently been in the eight southern African countries.

I was just about to post the notification, but is it too late?

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
quote:

© Reuters
By David Shepardson

I was just about to post the notification, but is it too late?

Good question. I wonder about visas and flights.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I know that many outfitters have already had to make the call on rolling their booth deposits so for them the lifting of the ban does change anything. Not to mention the airlines not having resumed flights yet.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know that many outfitters have already had to make the call on rolling their booth deposits so for them the lifting of the ban does change anything. Not to mention the airlines not having resumed flights yet.

Some are here and have been for a while . Some are planning on coming . They apparently have their visas and found a way here .

It seems to me that those without flights and visas face significant challenges .

I got an e mail today . One company will have clients man their booth.

It will be unique assuming Clay Jenkins doesn’t interfere .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell, they can all get in through Mexico!

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

From what I heard , that was considered by some .

The big question now is the threat level has been raised to red, the highest level . Will that impact those contemplating attending? Will Judge Jenkins place a ban on large gatherings ? Time will tell.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The big question now is the threat level has been raised to red, the highest level . Will that impact those contemplating attending? Will Judge Jenkins place a ban on large gatherings ? Time will tell.

I cringe watching the local news.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I am afraid that COVID will be the norm amongst the hundreds of other viruses that afflict this planet.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9865 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I'm going to DSC. I don't get sick.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I am afraid that COVID will be the norm amongst the hundreds of other viruses that afflict this planet.

The difference with this virus is the ability to overload the health systems . The numbers are insane locally .

We have plane tickets, hotel rooms, the daily passes and a table for the Weatherby Awards. Yet, we are thinking of bagging it . My wife is immuno compromised. I am pre diabetic. Both in our 60’s.

It is a dilemma.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The difference with this virus is the ability to overload the health systems . The numbers are insane locally .

Not just locally but internationally though testing positive does not necessarily produce dramatic effects, in fact some people don't even realize they are positive until they test for it.

It is those individuals who refused the vaccination that need to worry with the present strain of virus wreaking havoc.

Posts: 1904 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

We have plane tickets, hotel rooms, the daily passes and a table for the Weatherby Awards. Yet, we are thinking of bagging it . My wife is immuno compromised. I am pre diabetic. Both in our 60’s.

It is a dilemma.

Larry -

Personally, I agree with you. Is it worth the potential for health complications.

This virus is a chameleon, It seems to act differently in everyone's immune system. I had it back in February. I really wasn't even sure I was sick.

Conversely, I personally know first or second hand, 17 people who have passed. Its no joke.

Because it is so mild to some, yet fatal to others, it has unfortunately, divided society.

Imagine if a Black Mamba bite killed some folks yet other really didn't even know they were bitten. That snake would not have the reputation it has.

My family has chosen to vaccinate. I see it as a personal decision. Do what's right for you. But don't ridicule other for doing what's right for them.

This virus is with us forever. My hope is that every variant gets less lethal that the previous, which is the norm for a virus.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3377 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It is a dilemma.

Larry -

Personally, I agree with you. Is it worth the potential for health complications.

This virus is a chameleon, It seems to act differently in everyone's immune system. I had it back in February. I really wasn't even sure I was sick.

Conversely, I personally know first or second hand, 17 people who have passed. Its no joke.

Because it is so mild to some, yet fatal to others, it has unfortunately, divided society.

Imagine if a Black Mamba bite killed some folks yet other really didn't even know they were bitten. That snake would not have the reputation it has.

My family has chosen to vaccinate. I see it as a personal decision. Do what's right for you. But don't ridicule other for doing what's right for them.

This virus is with us forever. My hope is that every variant gets less lethal that the previous, which is the norm for a virus.

I agree Steve. We were on holiday in Zambia and there was an outbreak of COVID at the Lodge but we returned unscathed. We have been vaccinated.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9865 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It is a dilemma.

Larry -

We both vaccinated including the booster.

I am probably a little bit spooked . I had a long term client die from COVID. I’ll never forget the call I got 15 minutes before he died.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wife and Son both get their boosters Monday. I'm not due yet.

When I get in a militant anti-vax debate, I simply give them the numbers. I know 17 folks who have perished, and ZERO who have had complications from the vaccine.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3377 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are some good thoughts in this thread.

"I see it as a personal decision. Do what's right for you. But don't ridicule other for doing what's right for them."

I agree with you Steve.

What ever happened to the old saying that it's not how he died, but how he lived. I've got news for the powers at be. We're all going to die sometime. I'm not willing to put my life on hold until they say it's safe for me me live my life.

I agree 100%.

There are no justifications at all for mandates.

I have seen 3 healthy young men <35 who had classic symptoms of myocarditis after the vaccine. They described chest pain and decreased exercise tolerance. One could barely walk up the hill behind his house to get to the mailbox. It took him 3 months to get back to normal. In true young male fashion, none of these guys went to their PCP or had any testing done so they would not show up on the statistics as an adverse event. My brother had a client in his mid 30's and healthy, who fell over dead at home when he stood up from the couch. This happened 1 week after his 2nd vaccine dose. These are all just anecdotes, which don't hold weight at all in the true scientific method, however they should inspire thought and further investigation. I have seen plenty of people die of Covid, however none were <40 and completely healthy (ie. not obese, not diabetic).

Hopefully the show will go on in Dallas. Come to the show if you want, or don't come if you feel that the risk is too large. Just don't try to shut down the show for those that are willing to accept the risk.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Everyone has to make his own decisions based on his own circumstances.

The trouble is, there is a great deal of misinformation and fear-mongering out there.

And please don’t get me started on these mandates.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Was in a meeting with 6 others two days ago.

One tested positive.

We all have t4sted twice, negative.

He tested again, positive???!!

He has absolutely no sign there is anything wrong??!!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I am sort of like Larry. While I have hotel reservations and have been planning to attend, I still find myself on the fence on attending given the current surge (despite the fact that the risk is pretty moderate being fully vaccinated and boosted) . . . particularly when coupled with the reality that a number of operators, exhibitors and professional hunters will not be attending for various reasons including travel limitations and a number of the usual attendees are not attending for all the foregoing reasons. There will definitely be a bit of a cloud hanging over the convention given the foregoing circumstances. Makes me scratch my head if attending this year makes sense and is really worth it. Of course, I also already have a couple of trips booked in 2022 so I am not actively seeking a booking either.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I totally understand Larry’s predicament and given the current crazy increase in cases in DFW, it’s concerning to me as well, even though I’ve had two doses of Moderna and a booster. A friend spent Christmas in NYC with another couple, all vaccinated and boosted. The male half of the other couple felt bad, tested positive on Wednesday (omicron), went into the hospital Thursday and on ventilator last night. Mid 50’s.
Just no telling how an individual’s body will be affected by this.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depending on where you read it, the rapid test is responsible for false positives anywhere from a fraction of 1% to nearly 20%.

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope Jenkins holds his tongue for another 2 weeks.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am sort of like Larry. While I have hotel reservations and have been planning to attend, I still find myself on the fence on attending given the current surge (despite the fact that the risk is pretty moderate being fully vaccinated and boosted) . . . particularly when coupled with the reality that a number of operators, exhibitors and professional hunters will not be attending for various reasons including travel limitations and a number of the usual attendees are not attending for all the foregoing reasons. There will definitely be a bit of a cloud hanging over the convention given the foregoing circumstances. Makes me scratch my head if attending this year makes sense and is really worth it. Of course, I also already have a couple of trips booked in 2022 so I am not actively seeking a booking either.

I'm in the same place. A week ago I was 100% planning to go to Dallas. Over the past week, I've heard of at least 20 family, friends or work colleagues that have tested positive. A couple of the younger guys (in their 30's) are having a rough time with it.

I had covid in Dec 2020. Apart from loss of smell, I had no symptoms at all. However, I'm having second thoughts about attending.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1283 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
I totally understand Larry’s predicament and given the current crazy increase in cases in DFW, it’s concerning to me as well, even though I’ve had two doses of Moderna and a booster. A friend spent Christmas in NYC with another couple, all vaccinated and boosted. The male half of the other couple felt bad, tested positive on Wednesday (omicron), went into the hospital Thursday and on ventilator last night. Mid 50’s.

Karl,
Sorry to hear about your friend.
Is your 50 year old friend overweight, diabetic, smoker, or other issues?
We have yet to hear of anyone we know, with both jabs , yet alone the booster too getting that ill. Again sorry to hear of your friend’s condition.

Posts: 673 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:

Despite high numbers of cases, most people aren't all that sick and my hospital(in a county of barely 50% vaccinated) few COVID admissions currently.

Speaking with an ER doc friend, most ER cases of COVID pos patients self tested at home or a quick quack, and came to the ER not sick, but in a panic. They are sent home.

YMMV

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It is a dilemma.

Larry -

Make that 18. Another one passed last night. (unvaxed)

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4WD:
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:

Karl,
Sorry to hear about your friend.
Is your 50 year old friend overweight, diabetic, smoker, or other issues?
We have yet to hear of anyone we know, with both jabs , yet alone the booster too getting that ill. Again sorry to hear of your friend’s condition.

I don’t know the guy that fell ill very well but he is overweight, don’t think he is a smoker or diabetic.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I wish I could understand this.

A friend is visiting his parents who live in Dubai, from Sri Lanka.

He is two young children, 5 and 2.

They are staying at their parents house.

Everyone is happily enjoying their break, no symptoms whatsoever.

The father ha to go back so had to take a PCR test.

Positive.

No sign of any illness whatsoever.

He has to cancel his flight.

Mother and kids test negative.

Living in one room.

Mother is a doctor.

They stayed together.

Three days later, still in isolation.

The mother takes PCR test.

Negative!!??

He still tests positive, but no sign of any illness??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote