Notify
Tools

SCI convention article
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted
https://www.apnews.com/3bc8d67...4f25bc777af84e3a0643
This article just came out about SCI convention by the Associated Press.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If we will rid ourselves of the "mine is bigger than yours" hunting success ethic and eliminate the self aggrandizing nature of awards AND eliminate captive bred lion and other forms of killing (not hunting), then we may be able to clean up our own house.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
And, if the State of Nevada officials charged with the investigation will hopefully read and then follow the law as it is written, including the specific exemptions contained in the law, this will likely, for the most part, be much ado about nothing. However, going forward this could potentially create a big headache for SCI and its exhibitors, as to the specific paperwork required to back up every item made and sold from elephant, etc. I am not so worried about mammoth ivory, as I don't believe that there are any prohibitive statutes regarding it. Hippo ivory might require a showing of specific Cites export documentation from the countries involved for every tusk or sets of tusks offered, but there is no specific Cites import documentation required by the USFWS that I know of. Please correct me if I am wrong on any of this. As stated above, this is going to be a big headache for SCI. They should have listened and should have taken action much earlier when the bill was proposed a second time. Unfortunately, they now 'own' it and in a state that is in full control by the Democrats.

One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
I wonder what the overall ramifications will be for SCI and other hunting conventions. I would have thought they would have seen this coming. It seems as thought the problems in the hunting world just seem to keep building. Maybe we need to go back to the reason most of us hunt and less how we look in evening clothes holding trophies. Call it what you like but it's still "look at me".

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SCI is a fraud and a farce nowadays. If it isn't evident enough, search for Mike DeTorre's post about how SCI spends it's money.....a fraud.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
This came today from SCI. I also believe that SCI merely working with the State of Nevada regarding the new law is not going to be enough. In my opinion, they may need to think about suing the State of Nevada over the new law in Federal District Court. Just my opinion.

"Member Alert
Antis Really Are Out To Get Us
Now is the time to save hunting. Donate now to assure a bright future for hunting.

Fueled by more money than sense, the anti-hunters shifted into high gear when they invaded the Safari Club International Convention in Reno this year pointed their undercover cameras specifically at people and activities that they then used to make questionable allegations, all in their endless attempts to stop all hunting everywhere in the world.

Specifically, the antis alleged that there were violations of a new Nevada law and that there were sales of captive bred lions at the SCI Convention. SCI disputes the antis’ allegations out of hand and currently is investigating the entire matter. SCI has done nothing wrong.

As a few handfuls of protesters milled outside the Convention Center in Reno, operatives from the Humane Society of the United States and Humane Society International went through the process of registering and entering the members-only SCI Convention. That’s right, the antis joined SCI in order to pervert circumstances as part of their ongoing efforts to put SCI out of business and to end all hunting worldwide.

“That’s the price we pay for being open and inclusive,” said SCI President Paul Babaz. “We represent all hunters. Anytime any organization is open and transparent, it is possible that enemies of hunting will use that openness to their advantage. This, of course, leaves us open to such scurrilous attacks.”

Once inside the Convention Center, anti-hunters used hidden cameras to record items on the floor and exhibitors at the Convention. Naturally, the antis focused only on things that they intended to distort to the benefit of their perverted worldview.

The antis’ media blitz last Friday found its way into the mainstream media as well as the social media. That same day, SCI issued a statement to the Associated Press news service: “SCI has been made aware of HSUS/HSI's allegations based on what appears to be an unauthorized visit by representatives of HSUS/HSI to an SCI Convention.  We are investigating those allegations, including what may be HSUS/HSI's erroneous interpretation of Nevada law.  SCI will address any concerns related to the allegations at the close of its investigation."

SCI’s internal investigation progresses in parallel with an investigation launched by Nevada authorities. SCI is working with Nevada authorities in our respective investigations.

In a note to AP reporter Scott Sonner, Tyler Turnispeed, Chief Game Warden, Nevada Department of Wildlife – Law Enforcement, wrote: “We are aware of this and worked on it last weekend with the leadership from SCI.  Of course, I can’t get into specific investigation details, but we are looking into it.  It’s a new law that went into effect about a year ago, so it’s a process of getting everyone educated about it and learning how to interpret it ourselves.  Traditionally, trade in these international species has fallen more under the authority of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, but this new state law deals with intrastate trade, rather than interstate trade and import/export laws so there’s a learning curve for everyone involved.  In the meantime, we’ll keep working with SCI to try and prevent unlawful sales in future years.”

“I can state categorically that SCI has done nothing wrong,” SCI President Paul Babaz stated. “However, we are looking into whether SCI’s policies related to captive bred lions might have been violated.”

President Babaz also issued a statement to the anti-hunters who joined SCI so they could attack both SCI in particular and hunters in general.

“Now that you are members, maybe you can learn something about real conservation. All of you talk and talk but you do nothing except attack other people. That is misguided. Sustainable use of wildlife as supported by hunters is the real conservation. If you truly care about animals, you will join us in fact -- not just to do a sneaky underhanded torpedo attack,” President Babaz stressed.

This is proof, if we needed it, that hunting, trophy hunting and SCI are all under attack and that the antis will go to all lengths to put us out of business and out of the outdoors.

The antis are extremely well funded with hundreds of millions of dollars to spread their venom and lies to the world. If hunters and hunting are to keep the misguided efforts of the antis at bay, it is critical that we fight back everyday in every way.

Members are encouraged to do all they can in this fight. To that end, donate now to help save hunting.

The future is in our hands. How effective we are right now will determine whether the future is bright for hunting, or whether the antis will win. Losing hunting is not an option. ACT NOW! Donate now.

Safari Club International - First For Hunters is the leader in protecting the freedom to hunt and in promoting wildlife conservation worldwide. SCI's approximately 200 Chapters represent all 50 of the United States as well as 106 other countries. SCI's proactive leadership in a host of cooperative wildlife conservation, outdoor education and humanitarian programs, with the SCI Foundation and other conservation groups, research institutions and government agencies, empowers sportsmen to be contributing community members and participants in sound wildlife management and conservation. Visit the home page www.SafariClub.org, or call (520) 620-1220 for more information.
International Headquarters • Washington, DC
www.SafariClub.org
###
Be sure to add Info@safariclub.org to your address book or safe sender list so our email gets to your inbox.
Please do not reply to this message as the "reply to" function does not allow us to receive your email."