Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 H&H Magnum for Buffalo
 Login/Join

posted
Will this old round still perform on Cape buffalo or do I buy something bigger? Thoughts?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes it is fine. Personally, I prefer a bigger round.

Posts: 11907 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
You might get 3 answers to this question.

Armchair buffalo hunters will tell you you need a bigger gun.

Some hunters who like bigger guns will tell you to get a bigger one.

The rest of us will tell you it is plenty good enough for anything that walks this earth.

Just make sure you put your bullets in the right place.

That is all that matters. clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66762 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Premiun bullet, knowing your shot placement and placing that shot correctly is all you need to do no matter you shoot with.

375 will do just fine.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I know one person who has taken a buffalo or two every year for the last ten years in Tanzania with this ammunition:

https://www.norma.cc/us/Produc.../Barnes-TSX-270-gr-/

It just might be the most versatile load you can buy off the shelf for any caliber/bullet weight load on the planet. If you and your rifle are a good shot with this load, there aren't many animals you can't kill.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only use the .375 mainly down to supply issues here in the UK, no matter which calibre you choose the more you practice the better, a 300 grain bullet in the right place is worth 10 600 grain projectiles in the arse.

Posts: 174 | Location: Cumbria | Registered: 30 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Pick up Kambuku by Harry Manners and let your worries about the 375 wash away....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To read more on this subject, go to ‘Big Bores’ on this forum and read the thread titled ‘Is the 375 a big bore?’

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
You are much better with a 375 that you shoot well than something bigger. Practice all you can and have a good hunt.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Worked plenty well for me on two buffalo in 2017. I followed up with a 470 double, but it truly wasn't needed.

I've actually contemplated selling said double to fund another hunt, that's how little I think it's required.

Posts: 1417 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
375 H&H Its all I've ever used on buffalo. I have taken 4 Dugga boys with it. It works well if you put the bullet in the right spot.

Posts: 285 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I disagree with what appears to be an underlying theme of several of the posts above.

While I know many of the posters don't mean to say it, many of the posts seem to be implying:

The 375HH is OK, if you place your shots correctly.

Well any cartridge is only ok, good, or even great if you place your shot correctly.

By logical extension, some of the above posts could easily be interpreted that other cartridges are OK, if you do not place your shots correctly and that is not true.

The 375HH is a fine buffalo cartridge and a bad shot with a 416 rem mag or 458 WM is not going to turn out OK because you had somewhere between 40-80/1000 more in bullet diameter.

Use your 375HH, learn to shoot it well as any hunter should any rifle. Shoot accurately and into the vitals and you will have a dead buffalo.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
What Saeed and Mike say.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9846 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Worked for me.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As above it works well.

If you WANT something different, go ahead, but no real reason to.

I’ve killed no where near as many animals with mine as Saeed, but it’s over 100.

The .375 H&H is probably the perfect combination of killing power and controllability.

Posts: 10478 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I have killed couple of jumbos with my 375 besides few buffs

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Slipjig

The 375 is my recommendation every time when a client asks what rifle to buy for buffalo. It just works very well for the full spectrum of animals you generally will encounter in Africa. With premium softs and solids you can hunt anything from elephant to the the smallest duiker.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it can be done, for sure....like hunting Deer with a 22 Hornet. But I prefer something bigger. Like the saying goes...don't select a rifle for when things go right, take one for when things go wrong.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Ditto, ditto, ditto...

Most of my buffalo have been killed with the different .375 cartridges, H&H, Ruger and RUM.

Headed to Masailand in July and will be carrying a .375 RUM if all goes as planned.

Have to disagree with Biebs analogy though, more like using a .270 for deer not a Hornet, which is borderline. You can certainly use one of the 7 or 300 magnums instead of a ,270, or even the .375 but the whitetail will still be just as dead.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7509 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are an experienced big game hunter and regularly shoot 30-06 type rifles without any problems, then I would suggest you get a .416 Rem Mag.

I have used one on elephant and Cape Buffalo for over 15 years without any problems with shot placement due to recoil.

I think one reason PHs like to recommend a .375 H&H type of weapon is that they sometimes get clients who can't shoot and/or afraid of recoil.

These individuals have more money than they do hunting/shooting experience. Many of them show up with rifles that have never been zeroed etc.

If you read the recommendations of the old PHs, the ones that have killed or seen killed thousands of buffalo, they almost all unanimously recommend that you use the largest and most powerful weapon that you can shoot accurately.

They almost always say a .375 H&H is deadly on elephant and Cape Buffalo, provided the first shot is placed accurately, but it is not what they would carry if hunting buffalo or elephant in close cover.

For that they want a heavier caliber.

If you are recoil sensitive, get a .375, if not, why go with the minimum legal caliber, that is marginal in some situations?

Go ahead an get a rifle that can be used as a stopper.

If PHs can regularly shoot the really big boomers such as .458 Lott, .505 Gibbs, etc. there is no physical reason why the average man cannot do the same.

It is just a matter of conditioning, mental attitude, and practice.

JMO

BH63

BTW: I can see why PHs recommend the minimum. They want the client to have a good time and shoot well. A client afraid of his rifle will not have a good time or shoot well.

If they have to back up the client, they have heavy rifles capable of doing just that.

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
With premium softs and solids you can hunt anything from elephant to the the smallest duiker.

Amen. tu2 And, I have done exactly that! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Minimum should be 458 Lott Big Grin

But I would hunt with my 375 H&H and 375 ruger.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I think the OP has successfully TROLLED the forum! Pretty good effort for his first post. Lots of bites on the offering.

fishing fishing fishing

Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
Actually Todd, I have a genuine interest.
You sure know how to welcome someone new.
Was I supposed to use a more politically correct way to address the question or is there something you've decided you already do not like about me?
Saeed, maybe you could answer this for me. What's eating at Todd?

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slipjig:
Was I supposed to use a more politically correct way to address the question or is there something you've decided you already do not like about me?

Well, let me ask, what evolutionary event has recently occurred that would make the 375 no longer suitable for buffalo? Have buffalo evolved to be tougher? Has the 375 lost a step in terms of current loads? Current 375 bullets less capable these days. What changed?

I mean your question was "Will this old round STILL perform on Cape buffalo ...".

Key word being STILL as if something has changed.

The old 375 probably being the 3rd most hotly debated topic on the forum, right behind the evils of Mark Sullivan or SCI! Ask about any of those three and the replies are predictable, are they not?

Whistling

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

The rest of us will tell you it is plenty good enough for anything that walks this earth.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drongo:
quote:

Saeed is right on.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot two with my trusty M03 Africa with it's 375HH barrel and my 300 grain Barnes Handloads. No drama and I'm alive to tell to the story...

Posts: 395 | Location: West Coast | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Well, I can only speak for myself.

I took this "first post" at face value and didn't feel "trolled at all"

I read nothing into the the use of the words "still" and "old".

I thought the post was genuine.

Somebody just revived a post on the American Big Game forum about "your best whitetail combo" from a dozen years ago. Nobody took that as trolling. One could say that is a "dumb post" given anything from 243 win to 35 whelen is common place with no notable difference in performance.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Right on Mike

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slipjig:

Todd hates AR!

Because he worships SCI and Mark Sullivan!

One has become irrelevant because it is run but idiots.

And the other is the epitome of a selfish idiot pretending to be a professional hunter!

Sinking so low as operate ILLEGALY in South Africa.

He is employed to remove the name tags off farm grown buffalo.

In his last “hunt” posted here him and his clueless client needed many shots from much larger calibers than a 375 to kill a pet, named, farm bred bull.

I cannot imagine what caliber they would have needed to kill a genuine, wild buffalo!

Probably would have needed an ammo re-supply truck to follow them!

If you wish to see what a 375 does to buffalo, have a look at my hunt report at teh top of this forum, and as I posted there, our video is ready, and you are very welcome to PM me your address if you would like to have one.

You will see there several buffalo - I mean, real, honest to goodness WILD buffalo, drop dead with one shot from a 375 bullet.

This is just one example of what hunters have been doing for years.

Long before an idiot obsessed with his own self importance started killing half dead buffalo with a 600 Nitro Express.

After he gives them the choice of how to die! rotflmo

He is just jealous clap

Posts: 66762 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Hi Saeed:
Ja shit man, I must buy a larger hard drive as I catalog all of your anti MS posts. I'm sure you realize you are well over 1000, on the way to 2K!

I doubt the client you refer to in your post is me as my buff was dropped with one shot from my .600. If you are referring to me, it won't be the first time you have fabricated lies about the MS issue.

When the time is right I will do a post or thread of your posts on Mark and also what many on AR have concluded when discussing your jihadist hatred of the man and/or the thoughts of a noted psychiatrist who I sent samples of your posts to for his evaluation. Most of us here just believe you are jeaous of Mark as he is everything you are not but the doc gave a much deeper conculsion to your hatred. I've studied it many times and he is spot on!
Cheers, and more to follow.
Cal
PS. I'm working on another hunt with Mark for this year. I don't know if I can swing it but if I do I will post here (with the permission of our gracious host, of course)! Also, I'm having a SAPHA official issue a statement of the legality of the hunt. He's on holiday now but that should put to rest your lies about the hunt being illegal.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Hi Saeed:
Ja shit man, I must buy a larger hard drive as I catalog all of your anti MS posts. I'm sure you realize you are well over 1000, on the way to 2K!

I doubt the client you refer to in your post is me as my buff was dropped with one shot from my .600. If you are referring to me, it won't be the first time you have fabricated lies about the MS issue.

When the time is right I will do a post or thread of your posts on Mark and also what many on AR have concluded when discussing your jihadist hatred of the man and/or the thoughts of a noted psychiatrist who I sent samples of your posts to for his evaluation. Most of us here just believe you are jeaous of Mark as he is everything you are not but the doc gave a much deeper conculsion to your hatred. I've studied it many times and he is spot on!
Cheers, and more to follow.
Cal
PS. I'm working on another hunt with Mark for this year. I don't know if I can swing it but if I do I will post here (with the permission of our gracious host, of course)! Also, I'm having a SAPHA official issue a statement of the legality of the hunt. He's on holiday now but that should put to rest your lies about the hunt being illegal.

Cal,

The only statement which is true above is that I am most certainly NOT like your hero, Mark Sullivan.

Enjoy your "hunt" with him.

Just make sure that he actually HAS a professional hunter's license to guide clients in South Africa, or you are exposing yourself to criminal charges under the Lacy Act!

Operating in a foreign country without a license IS A CRIMINAL OFFENCE.

WORLDWIDE!

I would hate to see you being investigated! clap

Here is Cal's grand adventure killing a farm bred buffalo with his brave hero. Check it out, and YOU can decide if Mark Sullivan is legally authorized to conduct hunts in South Africa!

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Saeed:
The sand must be clogging your brain. You have been told by those in South Africa, the hunt was 100% legal as a licensed SA PH accompanied us and his name is on the requried forms. In addition Mark received no money. Case closed.

If a kid at my school could not grasp something as simple as this they would have a trip to the Special Ed department. When I get the document from the SAPHA I will post it here and hopefully that will put an end to the matter. Of course, we all still expect you to coninue you hate-filled posts. That's OK as it's expected as the forum is yours and your playground. We bow to our benovelent host.
Cheers from -61.
Cal

PS. When the gents here read the post I hope they continue on a few pages to read my parody. In the opening post, Mark, the SAPH (Johan) and all others are mentioned. Completely legal.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Saeed:
The sand must be clogging your brain. You have been told by those in South Africa, the hunt was 100% legal as a licensed SA PH accompanied us and his name is on the requried forms. In addition Mark received no money. Case closed.

If a kid at my school could not grasp something as simple as this they would have a trip to the Special Ed department. When I get the document from the SAPHA I will post it here and hopefully that will put an end to the matter. Of course, we all still expect you to coninue you hate-filled posts. That's OK as it's expected as the forum is yours and your playground. We bow to our benovelent host.
Cheers from -61.
Cal

PS. When the gents here read the post I hope they continue on a few pages to read my parody. In the opening post, Mark, the SAPH (Johan) and all others are mentioned. Completely legal.

Go back and read your own report.

You were being guided by Mark Sullivan - in your own words! clap

HE is NOT licensed to guide foreign clients in South Africa.

Very simple really.

Operating in a foreign country one requires a work permit for the job he is being employed to do.

Mark Sullivan DOES NOT HOLD A PROFESSIONAL HUNTER'S LICENSE IF SOUTH AFRICA!

Keep playing the proverbial ostrich, with your head in the sand. rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not a Mark Sullivan fan. The reason being I have seen his video clips of inducing charges and not finishing (himself) or having the client finish wounded buffalo mere yards (less than 20) away.

Both these acts I cannot accept.

However, if a licensed SA PH is standing there the whole time with the hunter and Mark Sullivan, then how is Mark Sullivan accompanying a hunting party any different than Craig Boddington accompanying Bill Jones and his ph? In Boddington on Elephant Craig Boddington even fires back up shots on Bill Jones wounded elephant. As long as Bill Jones was ok with it, I have no problem.

Point being both hunts had a licensed PH from that country present during all hunting.

If one wants to take objection to Cal Pappas’ original post that did not mention the SA ph that is that is that person’s proghtive. It did allow Cal Pappas the opportunity to identify the SA ph.

As far as the 375 HH for Buffalo, I admit when I saw the thread my first thought was Ah, Yeah it is! But then I thought this is one of the great campfire discussions. That is what AR is at its best a global campfire so why not.

I accept the consensus that the 375 HH is a better killer of buffalo now than in any time in its over 100 year history. Because the great expanding bullets we have now such as follow: Noslar Partions, Swift Aframe, Woodligh WeldCore, Federal Trophy Bonded, Barnes Triple Shock, the Winchester Failsafe (if you can find them) are more efficient/better killers than the solids used in the past.

It only makes sense to me that a bullet expanding and tearing heart and lung tissue is doing more damage than a caliber solid more or less leaving a bullet sized hole.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
I am not a Mark Sullivan fan. The reason being I have seen his video clips of inducing charges and not finishing (himself) or having the client finish wounded buffalo mere yards (less than 20) away.

However, if a licensed SA PH is standing there the whole time with the hunter and Mark Sullivan, then how is Mark Sullivan accompanying a hunting party any different than Craig Boddington accompanying Bill Jones and his ph? In Boddington on Elephant Craig Boddington even fires back up shots on Bill Jones wounded elephant. As long as Bill Jones was ok with it, I have no problem.

Point being both hunts had a licensed PH from that country present during all hunting.

If one wants to take objection to Cal Pappas’ original post that did not mention the SA ph that is that is that person’s proghtive. It did allow Cal Pappas the opportunity to identify the SA ph.

In Boddington's example, was the hunt advertised as being conducted by Boddington by his booking agent?

Was Boddington actually guiding the client, and instructing him on the hunt, during the hunt?

Did the client mentioned with Boddington publish a report saying he was being guided by Boddington?

Did Boddington film advertising videos and post them on Youtube, saying that he is actually guiding paying clients?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When hunting buffalo or any other dangerous game it is mo st important to get a good first shot. IF the shot is not good you are dealing with a wounded and potentially dangerous animal that may charge. If charged, only a CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM hit will stop the change immediately. I have shot 8 buffalo and all eight were fatally shot with the first shot. Of the eight, the only one buffalo that dropped stone dead was hit with a 375 H&H 300 gr TSX in the spine - DRT. Another was shot in the heart and ran away and a second 375 TSX was fired behind his ear, exiting through center of forehead after passing through brain rolling the animal quite impressively. Others were shot with lager calibers but little difference was noticed by me. The 375 with good bullets WILL do 5he job. I have had a. 375 H&H on all safaris but one and the more I use it, the more I trust it. It’s been doing the job for over 100 years AND the last several decades have brought new bullets that have greatly increased its reliability on DANGEROUS GAME and other game. Buy one, shoot it a lot and use it, you will likely be as impressed with it as I have been.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

In Boddington's example, was the hunt advertised as being conducted by Boddington by his booking agent?

Was Boddington actually guiding the client, and instructing him on the hunt, during the hunt?

Did the client mentioned with Boddington publish a report saying he was being guided by Boddington?

Did Boddington film advertising videos and post them on Youtube, saying that he is actually guiding paying clients?

As far as general promotion The film was called Boddington on Elphant. I do not see how it is legal for Mark to be in the group amend mpeven make suggestions as long as there is a licensed PH from that Country standing right there with veto power the whole time which is the case with the buffalo hunt in question.

Now, I cannot take logical fault with anyone who says the post should have identified Mark Sullivan as an observer and the PH presence from the beginning.

I also agree the hunts should have been advertised as Mark Sullivan accompanying and said PH phing. But I do not see those observations of Cal Pappas saying he hunted with Mark Sullivan for buffalo as desposetive or controlling. The presence of a licensed SA ph and the controll over the hunt he has controlling.

Now, if the hunt contract says Mark Sullivan is the PH I agree. Apparently, according the Cal Pappas the South African PH Association finds this to be legal which tells me the contract does not say Mark Sullivan is being allowed to PH.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I just got my son a rifle for an upcoming cape buffalo hunt, his first.

Even though I shoot a .416 Hoffman, I told him that I thought a .375 H&H would make the ideal caliber for him. He agreed, so we got a Winchester model 70 super grade. No matter how much he hunts in Africa, I don’t think he’ll ever need more gun.

Posts: 3833 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote