Tools

Lion with Verney Carron 500 Nitro
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carl Frederik Nagell:
Killing a lion in a fence seems very exciting and dangerous but it is not hunting. Doing so and showing it to the world is harmful for the future of ethical fair chase hunting. I agree that it is no different in theory from shooting any other raised animal but canned lion hunting is still different. Most of all it gives anti hunters fuel to their anti-hunting campaign. Normal people with no anti-hunting agenda find it sickening and turn into anti-hunters. Further canned lion hunts most probable presses the price of hunting a wild lion down. Some 3000 canned lions are shoot a year against approx. 150 wild lions (based on numbers shoot in Zim and Tanzania in 2015). The price of a wild lion hunt is 60-100T US. It should be much much higher. If there only were 150 lions to be hunted all together, the price would skyrocket. The higher price might be bad for you and me as hunters but is better for our hunting conservation model. The higher the price the bigger the incitement to preserve hunting areas.

Good Hunting
Carl Frederik

Sounds like one of those typical well heeled liberals who say they don't pay enough in taxes already. There's always the option of paying more than required. I'm sure Buzz would have been fine with you paying an extra $100,000 for your lion based on principle.

Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
As with WR500, I also thought it interesting to camp out within a few thousand acres. However I enjoyed the film. Stefan will film my buffalo hunt in 2020 with my newly acquired 4-bore Rodda.

If Carl's figures are correct and only 150 lions are hunted in the wild then without SA lions most of us would never get the chance to hunt a lion. I've only killed one lion (Tanzania, 2006) but I would consider a SA lion in the future.

What I noticed most about the film is the hunter is facing a dangerous situation and he makes sure HE SAVES AND POCKETS THE BRASS. An expenive hunt, a dangerous hunt, and the brass must be saved.

Now, I'm not mocking. We all seem to do it. At the Alaska double shoots I laugh every year as there are a million dollars of fine rifles, shot by many high earners and when a cease fire is called all (me included) go in front of the tables and pick up the 10 cent wads.

We are all cut from the same cloth. I have saved the brass from my lion, leopard, elephant, and all of the buffalo and hippo I've shot, not to mention the plains game. We are a unique bunch.
Cheers, fellas.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Cal. If I recall Aaron Neilson did a South Africa lion hunt that he said was the real deal. I get the entire "reintroduced" dialogue.

In reality, most of the game in South Africa has been reintroduced to some extent due to the overhunting and over killing up until 20-40 years. Having buffalo in RSA is ok, but not with lions? The buff were shot out and have been reintroduced.

At the end of the day, if there is a way to put more lions on the ground in Africa, I am for it. South Africa is tough because it is somewhat developed vs other countries. Namibia has plenty of room in the southeast and the wilder north for lions but lions are not good neighbors as they like to eat what ranchers grow.

As most on this website believe, hunting captive bred and recently released lions is not for us. However, we should leave room for the outfit and hunter that hunts lions in South Africa that are properly reintroduced.

Posts: 10150 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have been saying it right from the beginning, I do support all hunting, including hunting farm bred animals.

But, not in my wildest imagination would I equate hunting in the wild with hunting on a farm, regardless of its size.

The simple fact that I KNOW, I am hunting on a farm takes an awful lot of my enjoyment out of it.

I have and will most probably hunt plains game on a farm.

But not buffalo or lion.

May be I have been very lucky to have hunted quite a number of these in the wild.

I shot two lions in Tanzania last month.

One actually attacked our blind while we were in it in the dark!

Tearing holes in our blind with his clause.

The other one did not want to bother us at all.

He kept hiding in the bush as we followed him, eventually managing to get to about 20 yards of him lying down, with nothing between us and him, if he wanted to charge.

He did not, and tried to get away, and I shot him as he stood up.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66934 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carl Frederik Nagell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by Carl Frederik Nagell:
Killing a lion in a fence seems very exciting and dangerous but it is not hunting. Doing so and showing it to the world is harmful for the future of ethical fair chase hunting. I agree that it is no different in theory from shooting any other raised animal but canned lion hunting is still different. Most of all it gives anti hunters fuel to their anti-hunting campaign. Normal people with no anti-hunting agenda find it sickening and turn into anti-hunters. Further canned lion hunts most probable presses the price of hunting a wild lion down. Some 3000 canned lions are shoot a year against approx. 150 wild lions (based on numbers shoot in Zim and Tanzania in 2015). The price of a wild lion hunt is 60-100T US. It should be much much higher. If there only were 150 lions to be hunted all together, the price would skyrocket. The higher price might be bad for you and me as hunters but is better for our hunting conservation model. The higher the price the bigger the incitement to preserve hunting areas.

Good Hunting
Carl Frederik

Sounds like one of those typical well heeled liberals who say they don't pay enough in taxes already. There's always the option of paying more than required. I'm sure Buzz would have been fine with you paying an extra $100,000 for your lion based on principle.

Roll Eyes

Todd

Ha ha ha Where I come from I am regarded as being ultra konservative...

Good Hunting

Carl Frederik

Posts: 489 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing your hunt with us, Ronald.

I enjoyed the video very much.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 817 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Great safari ,thanks for sharing with us .
Cheers dr Pozzi

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell of a hunt, Thanks for posting the videos Ronald.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent post and comments!Thank You gentleman!

Posts: 973 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 November 2019Reply With Quote