posted Hide Post
Nice! But I want ejectors!! Well done

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing! Great video.

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

Posts: 858 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Fantastic!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of ronald nel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomahawker:

It has ejectors.I held my hand in front of the bridge, so the cases don’t fly into the bushes,so they fell back into the barrels. Don’t think Verney make any non ejector guns

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ronald nel:
quote:

It has ejectors.I held my hand in front of the bridge, so the cases don’t fly into the bushes,so they fell back into the barrels.

Risky habit

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good sport!

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
quote:
quote:

It has ejectors.I held my hand in front of the bridge, so the cases don’t fly into the bushes,so they fell back into the barrels.

Risky habit

Yep!

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Cool hunt and well done video.

You could tell there were ejectors on the second reload.

Many people will say minding the empties like that is very dangerous. I can’t comment, as I’ve never done DG with a double, but I can see the problems. I’m sure I would be prone to doing the same after countless shots with double shotguns. Certain habits are hard to break. However, I do seem to be able to switch from single trigger to double trigger without issue.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree that blocking the ejection of the cases on a DG hunt is a bad habit to have.
I’ve had a number of times which have required a quick reload to ensure the animal
Stays down. The habit of catching or taking the shells out of the chamber and pocketing them
Is fine on the clay target range but not on a hunt..

Secondly, the video is fun to watch, but I just don’t get the idea of tracking/ camping out etc in a 3200 hectare fenced reserve?
Roads were prevalent in the area, so at sunset you could easily have called the vehicle , marked the tracks on GPS and head back to the fantastic luxurious lodge instead of pitching tents etc?

This was all part of the script of the movie to make the hunt seem more “wilderness “ or deep in the wilds of Africa etc.

The charge at the end was the real deal even if it was a preserve hunt and some fine shooting was made to stop it by both Ronald and his PH.(again except for the shell extraction)

Obviously Ronald is promoting VC in his videos posted here . That’s fine with me as I also own a 500 and 600 VC doubles and have multiple ele and buff with them as well ( no lion though)
They are a fine double in my books.

Keep hunting Ronald and enjoy the VC’s. Whilst this last hunt isn’t my cup of tea, I’m ok with this type of lion hunt if that’s what other people want to do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Loved it! Thanks for sharing. Please keep em coming.

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
South Africa released lion or where?
Hard to tell other than the mane.

I would let the empties cases fall and reload quick....

Posts: 10135 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don’t really want to rain on someone’s parade but....

Well, you kinda did....

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
quote:

Well, you kinda did....

No he didn’t!

Like everyone else, he stated his opinion.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
OK. But on second thought...
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
quote:

Well, you kinda did....

No he didn’t!

Like everyone else, he stated his opinion.

What happened to the original quote then? I rest my case,,

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was exciting! Excellent video! I always wanted to hunt a lion but I don't know if I have the ability. Sure looks like a great hunt. I am seriously considering it after seeing this video.

Thanks for posting it. Good job! Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ronald, Please tell me what but you used. Thanks, brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
Picture of ronald nel
posted Hide Post
Hi Brian.It sure is a great hunt. Definitely something to consider.
I used a 500 Nitro, loaded with
570gr Woodleigh softs, muzzle velocity 2150F/s.

Hope thats what you’re looking for... wasn’t sure what you mean by “butt”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perfect, Thanks.
That is nice walking/stalking country to hunt Lion in. Very exciting.

Yes, I meant "Bullet". I am getting worse with my typing errars! (Chuckle.)

Thanks again for the answer and the excellent video. Brian

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the steadying influence Saeed. Mr. Nel, What bullets were you using? I really enjoyed the watching of your hunt. I may never get the opportunity. Thanks and Be Well, Packy

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the steadying influence Saeed.

JFC... I LOVED the video Ronald and I especially liked the camping out, I would have enjoyed that. Great rifle BYW...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi Brian.It sure is a great hunt. Definitely something to consider.
I used a 500 Nitro, loaded with
570gr Woodleigh softs, muzzle velocity 2150F/s.

Hope thats what you’re looking for... wasn’t sure what you mean by “butt”

So the classic Woodleighs are not as bad as some folks make them out to be and I discovered they also work pretty well on Buff. Wink

Posts: 1903 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Woodleighs and others like them work great at these low velocities.

Trouble starts when they are pushed too fast.

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
The “White Lion” was a giveaway that this was an RSA high fence “Reserve Hunt”. At least there were no ear tags like on Mark Sullivan’s RSA buffalo hunts that Saeed likes so much. Not my cup of tea, but the charge was pretty exciting.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The gentleman had his hunt, and enjoyed it.

That is all that matters.

There was never any indications that it was a wild lion hunt.

Hunting farm bred animals does not lessen the danger.

This example perfectly explains it, as I understand the lion charged after being shot.

I shot a wild lion in Tanzania a couple of weeks ago.

We chased him for quite sometime in the bush, but never got a chance at a shot.

Then we got to about 20 yards of him lying down, and I shot him as he got up.

He ran away after the shot, and made no attempt to charge.

He died with 10 yards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I am going to hunt a farm lioness next year, I hope. Brian

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
ronald,
congratulations on a great hunt,would you mind describing where all your shots landed?
Everyone was carrying a double,that's cool tu2

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on you lion hunt.He looks like a fine lion.Good shooting with the double.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bud Meadows:
The “White Lion” was a giveaway that this was an RSA high fence “Reserve Hunt”. At least there were no ear tags like on Mark Sullivan’s RSA buffalo hunts that Saeed likes so much. Not my cup of tea, but the charge was pretty exciting.

Not my cup of tea either. However this Lion was hunted well and a deserved trophy.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9860 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Maybe the answer to why most DRs are factory set at around the 2150 fps for maximum efficiency and "stopping power" Big Grin stir ... at close quarters of course.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
quote:

Maybe the answer to why most DRs are factory set at around the 2150 fps for maximum efficiency and "stopping power" Big Grin stir ... at close quarters of course.

No animal would survive a large bore bullet at 2150 fps.

If it is in the right place.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Beats me why there are people out there who want to push it faster when the makers decided 2150fps was the ideal velocity for optimum results. coffee

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
quote:

If it is in the right place.

Even a hornady dancing

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carl Frederik Nagell
posted Hide Post
Killing a lion in a fence seems very exciting and dangerous but it is not hunting. Doing so and showing it to the world is harmful for the future of ethical fair chase hunting. I agree that it is no different in theory from shooting any other raised animal but canned lion hunting is still different. Most of all it gives anti hunters fuel to their anti-hunting campaign. Normal people with no anti-hunting agenda find it sickening and turn into anti-hunters. Further canned lion hunts most probable presses the price of hunting a wild lion down. Some 3000 canned lions are shoot a year against approx. 150 wild lions (based on numbers shoot in Zim and Tanzania in 2015). The price of a wild lion hunt is 60-100T US. It should be much much higher. If there only were 150 lions to be hunted all together, the price would skyrocket. The higher price might be bad for you and me as hunters but is better for our hunting conservation model. The higher the price the bigger the incitement to preserve hunting areas.

Good Hunting
Carl Frederik

Posts: 489 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 March 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The antis do not care how or what we hunt.

They want it stopped.

Period.

Hunting lions or any other animal is a personal choice, regardless if it’s a wild animal or farm bred.

I have nothing against anyone who wants to hunt anything, anywhere, as long as it is legal in that country.

I have hunted plains game on farms inSouth Africa, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I won’t hunt a lion or a buffalo on a farm.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
There was a major US network (likely CBS) that came to Texas and did a story on the “Three Amigos.” Those being the Addax, Dama Gazelle, and the Schimtar Oryx. It’s worth catching and has been discussed here prior.

They did have a raving HSUS looney on there, but the report clearly showed that these species would not be alive, or thriving, if not on game ranches.

I have shot a few exotics here in Texas. The meat is great. Would I shoot lion in the situation? No, because it’s too expensive for me.

The video was well made and not a “silly” lion as seen at times.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Originally posted by Bud Meadows:

Not my cup of tea either. However this Lion was hunted well and a deserved trophy.

Not my cup of tea either, but I'm of the opinion that if you are on your feet in open terrain with an adult African lion that is willing to charge you from 15 0r 20 yds you better make that double rifle hit what you are aiming at to stop him, the last thing that would be on my mind would be the opinion of a person sitting in his home watching the film as to wither there is a fence a half mile away or not to make the lion dangerous.

………………………………...Others may think they would not be in danger because lion must be an actor, not a real FANG & CLAW lion, so not to worry! 2020 Fail to stop him and just yell "CUT" and the scene will stop the actor playing the lions part in this movie!
……………………………………………………………….. old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Practice your reload without catching the empties. You can pick them up later if at the range. Bolt gun hunters need to do this too. The trackers will find them for R5 each when you are in the field if you want them. The cost of shells is not worth a human life or a lost animal.
Nice shooting and thanks for posting.

People Sleep Peacefully in Their Beds at Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready to Do Violence on Their Behalf.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by silkyoaks:
Practice your reload without catching the empties. You can pick them up later if at the range. Bolt gun hunters need to do this too. The trackers will find them for R5 each when you are in the field if you want them. The cost of shells is not worth a human life or a lost animal.
Nice shooting and thanks for posting.

If you can afford the price of a DR, even if it isn't a Holland Royal, you can afford to lose the odd casing, besides, when it is out in the field it is unlikely being used on a Quail shoot so there will be a good possibility of having trackers present whose sharp eyes will locate your spent casings. coffee

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I only have two double rifles with auto ejectors, both 9.3X74. One is an over under, and the other a side by side. However all my large bore doubles have extractors only.
That being said I practice dumping the empties from the extractor doubles with a flip of the wrist and re-load two more from a fixture on the back of my trigger hand. I find this is about as quick as an ejector double when reloading from an ammo belt, which I find very slow. It just takes practice to condition yourself for a very quick re-load.

………………………………………………………... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote