New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zimbabwe lion importation into USA?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Am I correct in reading the regs that it currently is essentially impossible to import a Zimbabwe lion into the USA? Thanks.

Posts: 109 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 07 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
Good Evening to you.

The lion importation into the USA from Zimbabwe has so far been on a case by case system. Lion imports are approved depending where the lion was hunted and whether the area lion hunted in, has a whole lot of non detrimental findings to prove that by the killing of that lion the population will not be affected etc + a whole lot of other information needs to be provided by outfitter. I speak for myself and my clients that I’ve guided pre 2020 have all been imported into the US. 4 lion I guided in Nov last yr are in the process now. However if all goes well don’t expect your lion in the US for at least 24 months after hunting it. Sooner is a bonus. Very slow on the USF&W side. All my lions were hunted on various properties within the Save Valley Conservancy.

Now I have no idea about this yr and if the change of Administration in the US will have negative impact on importation. Time will tell.

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to change the topic, but any word on ele imports? Thanks Thierry for your input from any personal experience.

Arjun

Posts: 2531 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
What Thierry says is spot on correct as usual.

Lions from areas with “documentation” of a good conversation track record are (were) getting imported. No one can say about the future under Biden with a new Secretary of Interior.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
Not to change the topic, but any word on ele imports? Thanks Thierry for your input from any personal experience.

Arjun

Nothing has changed. No permits issued for anything after 2014 (I believe—could be wrong on last date).

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
The last ele permit I know for sure that was issued was for an ele hunted in 2014. There may have been more issued for ele hunted up through 2016 that I don’t know about...there was talk of that.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
How stupid. Our political masters passing laws on subjects they know nothing about.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If they passed laws only about things they knew, it would be laws on junkets and dinner parties, along with campaigning for office. Nothing else.

quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
How stupid. Our political masters passing laws on subjects they know nothing about.

Dave

Posts: 10478 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
The last ele permit I know for sure that was issued was for an ele hunted in 2014. There may have been more issued for ele hunted up through 2016 that I don’t know about...there was talk of that.

OK checked my notes. The ele permits ended with ele ‘hunted’ before May 30, 2014.

The last permit I know for sure that was granted was given on 2-17-2017 but for and ele hunted before May 30, 2014.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:

Arjun
Hi Arjun. Elephants are also supposed to be on a case by case basis. As of yet none of the elephants I’ve guided in last 4 yrs have been approved for importation but have not yet officially been denied either. However. I tell anyone from the US hunting elephant with me not to expect to get the ivory and to hunt it for the experience, the memories, photos and replicas if they wish and one day if importation gets improved then bonus.

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thierry Labat:
Good Evening to you.

The lion importation into the USA from Zimbabwe has so far been on a case by case system. Lion imports are approved depending where the lion was hunted and whether the area lion hunted in, has a whole lot of non detrimental findings to prove that by the killing of that lion the population will not be affected etc + a whole lot of other information needs to be provided by outfitter. I speak for myself and my clients that I’ve guided pre 2020 have all been imported into the US. 4 lion I guided in Nov last yr are in the process now. However if all goes well don’t expect your lion in the US for at least 24 months after hunting it. Sooner is a bonus. Very slow on the USF&W side. All my lions were hunted on various properties within the Save Valley Conservancy.

Now I have no idea about this yr and if the change of Administration in the US will have negative impact on importation. Time will tell.

I have first hand knowledge of a lion from Save coming in to States last 4 weeks.
Who knows what this senile old man will do in the White House now.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Contact John Jackson

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9846 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
I expect even more drastic draconian measures as it applies to the African Iconic species importation.

I expect not only for complete stopping, but making their possession illegal. Not a stretch, look at Mt. Lions in California.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3342 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Or...prosecute you for even going to hunt them. If you study the Lacy Act and Endangered Species Act...it is within the realm of possibilities and was talked about in the 0bama admin—a major reason for pushing to uplist the lion under the ESA.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
I hunted the Save in September 2018. Received my importation permit August 2020. Awaiting export permit- COVID.......

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote