New
Find
Notify
Tools

DSC -- Comments
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would like others' thoughts on the convention this year. It was good to be back. While the volume appeared to be down a bit, the folks that were there appeared to be those that were truly interested. Now let's hope we all don't come down with Omicron, a mild flu despite all the hysteria.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I hope DSC is going NOT the way of SCI!

I saw a picture of sashes which were supposed to be given to "hunters".

Very similar to SCI's rings and inner circles!

How sick is that?

Let us hope our favorite hunting organization is NOT going the way SCI has gone!

Let us keep it for HUNTERS.

NOT the "LOOK HOW GREAT I AM" selfish idiots!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Didn't SCI begin with sashes over 30 years ago? Then, developed all the circles and slams (as well as low standards in the record book) to generate more revenue?

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Didn't SCI begin with sashes over 30 years ago? Then, developed all the circles and slams (as well as low standards in the record book) to generate more revenue?

SCI was founded on turning hunting into competition.

And it went downhill from there.

I sure hope DSC is not taking the same route.

One normally learns from the past, not repeat it.

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I thought the attendance was down a lot, no idea the real numbers but figured maybe as much as 2/3. It was great being there and seeing everyone, and the folks there definitely seemed to be serious.

The bad part is 2 of the 3 of us in our booth now have COVID, and I talked to 3 different outfitters this morning who have it as well. I imagine a LOT of people got it this weekend, but hey, it was our choice to go. I am thinking of bailing out of SCI...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
I thought the attendance was down a lot, no idea the real numbers but figured maybe as much as 2/3. It was great being there and seeing everyone, and the folks there definitely seemed to be serious.

The bad part is 2 of the 3 of us in our booth now have COVID, and I talked to 3 different outfitters this morning who have it as well. I imagine a LOT of people got it this weekend, but hey, it was our choice to go. I am thinking of bailing out of SCI...

No one is avoiding Covid. Both the CDC and Pfizer have said the vax offers essentially no protection against transmission. It’s going to get us all. It may have gotten my family two days ago.

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I agree. I have never stopped doing anything really and knew I would get it. Just have to get over it and go on...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I personally know several dozen individuals who have tested positive right now.

Not a single one shows any negative sign, except minor signs of a cold??!!

Last week we had guests staying at our guest house.

6 tested positive.

Non felt ill.

The sooner everyone gets back to living a normal life the better!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree. I have never stopped doing anything really and knew I would get it. Just have to get over it and go on...

Hopefully that will be easier with this Omincron, I got the good stuff back in Oct 2020, still don't feel right some days and it took a while to be functional

We spent the week in Orlando after Christmas and got home last Tuesday, wife and I have had the crud for a week, hopefully feel better soon, if it is the Omnicron I like it much better than the first version.

"The sooner everyone gets back to living a normal life the better!" I agree, I wore a mask in FL more than I have for the whole pandemic, your not going to stop this new stuff, any regulation's related to covid are a waste of time!!

Posts: 1013 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I personally know several dozen individuals who have tested positive right now.

Not a single one shows any negative sign, except minor signs of a cold??!!

Last week we had guests staying at our guest house.

6 tested positive.

Non felt ill.

The sooner everyone gets back to living a normal life the better!

Yup - everyone we know has had similar symptoms. Wife is getting tested shortly since she works in a hospital and it’s part of the process. We shall see…

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought that while attendance was down due oto the Biden travel fiasco, and Cover fears, it was down by no more than 20% tops. Banquets were full and fun, and money was up in live, silent, and virtual forms! The right people were there customer wise, and hunts were selling, a quote offered by everyone I spoke to...and that was MANY. DSC leadership, I am quite sure did not design or endorse the "Uniforms being worn by the OHAA winners, current and past, that was a thing they came up with all by themselves. It got a LOT of commentary to be sure, and little of it was "well that looks great!" I know a couple of past winners were chagrined to have to put it on.It got a lot of chuckles at my table. Do not worry of DSC becoming SCI,of that I can assure you. Was great to see old friends and meet new ones in person, Maskless and Fearless! Hope all came out healthy and stay that way. Dave

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Meant to say COVID fears...opps.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed the show. My take on Covid is I have followed the mask mandates when required, we’ve had all the vaccines & boosters, so I’m going to live my life. I won’t be stupid about it, but life will go on for my family - has been since this all began.
I’m planning an African trip in July & unless governments prohibit it, I’m going.
Back to the show, I’m glad it’s back & it was good to be there. One thing - we hardly saw any of our old friends from AR. Maybe next year they’ll be back if Covid improves.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1582 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed the show. Quarantined just in case. I'm fine. I don't catch anything. Just lucky I guess,

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim, Wishing you WELL!! I was hoping to meet and talk UGANDA at SCI...
CheerZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2559 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I am going. Never got sick and I have out my time in. Will be there Thur afternoon- Fri. We are in Bass Pro/Cabelas booth.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the DSC show. Met new folks and had good sales. As always the volunteers sure made it run smooth. I don't get into the policitial side, I am just there to have a good time. I look forward to next year.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am going. Never got sick and I have put my time in. Will be there Wed afternoon- Fri. We are in Bass Pro/Cabelas booth.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, are vaccinations common in your community? Just curious.

The science says we’re probably all going to get Covid, and if you are vaccinated you will be fine. Most importantly, you won’t take up resources for those who need access to, what some have called, “the greatest health care system in the world.”

I have also chosen to live my life, and also chosen to help those around me by getting a vaccination.

How you “feel” about the vaccine should have less sway on your decision about getting vaccinated than what we know about the vaccine.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote