THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    LIVE! Report From The Selous - Video Is ready!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LIVE! Report From The Selous - Video Is ready!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quite amazing footage,the detail is spectacular and professional. Thank you Saeed. jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have shot quite a number of leopards, all on bait.

Except this year.

We were driving back to camp late in the afternoon.

We saw a leopard lying down in the grass less than 50 meters from our road.

We stopped to have a look, and take some photos.

As soon as we saw him - we could only see part of his head, he was facing us - we realized that he was an old male!

Cameras were left behind and the rifle was loaded.

We managed to get a narrow clearing towards him, and put thecshooting sticks up.

I was trying to take everything in, as the gap towards him was not very big.

There were some branches very close to the path to him, and I really have no wish to hit one of these and end up with a wounded leopard.

If he gets up quickly I have a very narrow window to shoot through, and as long as the angle is right, I have no problem taking the shot.

We stayed like this for quite a while.

Then he got up, turned around and was on his way away from us into the bush.

I fired a shot at him, and dropped and started rolling on the ground.

Alan was telling me to shoot him again, but, there was not much to see to shoot at!!

Suddenly he stopped rolling about.

We walked up to him, and found him stone dead.

A very old tom.

Quite thin, and badly scratched from fighting.

Kaboobi Kaboobi was waiting for us at the camp.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66854 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Saeed, Thank you for another year of wonderful photos, videos and stories. Like the rest, I always enjoy following along with your comedy show masquerading as a hunting safari. And, thanks also for the laughs and stories beforehand. You and The Vincent’s are a special group.

Posts: 3841 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, DLS, that are true words.

I enjoy the safaris/storys/pictures (and later films) of the saeed-safaris every year also.

Some day the "Saeed Safaris" will become an classic also.
You should write an book also, Saaed. The people will remember you with that, long time ago, when all of us are gone...

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Glad you all are enjoying this report.

There 24 videos that have been added at the top of this thread.

I have plenty more to add - time is a bit short trying to do several things at the same time.

I have started on the video too, and I will let you all know when it is ready.

Posts: 66854 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
The Crocodile video has a run time of 5+ minutes but seems to stop in less than 1 minute ! Maybe something wrong here ?
Otherwise, yes, enjoying all the short clips very much, thankyou. I hope you have sufficient extra footage remaining to make your full length version.
Cheers
GRANT

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1999 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yes, I noticed that as well. Tried it 3 or 4 times then said it must be something wrong with the video.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for letting me know this.

You are right, not the whole file managed to get to our server.

I will upload it again.

I appreciate your feedback.

one of us
posted Hide Post
All the videos worked well for our latest viewing enjoyment.
Surgically precise shooting, as usual, was demonstrated by Saeed, for our study.

That was the worst case of pseudohippopsoriasis with secondary infection and leaches that I have ever seen.
The slow blood letting was not helping,
once again proving the folly of that 18th century medical/veterinary practice.
That was some good relief of suffering there, with the 300-grains of copper brain suppository.
tu2
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am preparing a few drone videos to post.

My apologies for the delay, too many things to be done!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No. 28 is not working at this time. You might want to check it.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
No. 28 is not working at this time. You might want to check it.

Thank you.

It works now.

I missed a letter in the name!

What happens when you try to be good at a foreign language! clap

One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
That old hippo went down as if struck by lightning. As I said earlier, an act of mercy.

One thing I do not get is how you gents could wade into those crocodile infested waters as if walking in a park.

Best-
Locksley, R

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 780 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobinOLocksley:
That old hippo went down as if struck by lightning. As I said earlier, an act of mercy.

One thing I do not get is how you gents could wade into those crocodile infested waters as if walking in a park.

Best-
Locksley, R

We actually saw over 50 crocs in the river as we approached the bank quietly.

We shot one, and every else just disappeared.

The croc we shot was on the opposite side of the river, and I think I went back and forth several times! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I think I went back and forth several times! Smiler

The very thought of it sends a shiver down my spine. I hate those crocs. Frowner

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 780 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Years ago in Zimbabwe, I shot a hippo in the river.

It sank.

We know it might take a few hours for all the gasses to float him.

We decided to go hunt, and come back in a few hours.

We had to walk over a kilometer to cross the river to the other side.

We went hunting, we were on our way back.

Trouble was we were close to where our hippo was, and we did not feel like walking 2 ks both ways to cross the river.

At this point, the river was slightly narrower, and we could see several large crocs poking their heads out.

It started as a sort of dare, as I mentioned that we could just as well walk across the river right there, the crocs would disappear as they see ut.

All agreed, and we did cross the river right there!

I keep my shoes on, the others take them off.

One trackers forgot his across the river, and refused to go back to get them by himself!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eeker Eeker Eeker I don't blame him!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Eeker Eeker Eeker I don't blame him!

+1 to that.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
What bunch of wimps! clap

We have a pond in our house with crocs in it.

Many years ago, my younger brother came over with his kids and their friends.

The had a ball watching us feed the crocs - they were about 3-4 feet long then.

Then I suggested they might want to jump in the pond with them.

Everyone refused.

Latifa, his youngest daughter, was 5. I asked her if she would jump in with me.

She agreed!

We both jumped in the croc pond!

The crocs scattered all over the place - there were 13 of them.

Now she tells her brothers that she is braver than them clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
they were about 3-4 feet long then

3-4 feet does not sound as diabolical as 20 feet monsters in the river. I would be half-dead before I leapt into a river filled with them. Eeker

Administrator
posted Hide Post
This year the five 9n front of our camp was full of crocs at night.

Nothing to be seen during the day.

One evening I counted over 30. 10-12 feet long.

Everyone refused to swim in the river when I asked them one day.

I had to take a dip all on my own! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Everyone refused to swim in the river when I asked them one day.

I had to take a dip all on my own! rotflmo

Saeed,

I have to ask, why? Those are extremely dangerous creatures, especially the big ones, especially in water.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
There was absolutely no chance in a million that any croc would show up!

I value my skin quite a bit rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I know you have the native instincts of survival that some people have.

But worth remembering Steve Irvin ... or Bill Judd or Denys Finch_Hatten, Bill Simes and many others.

Take care.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I value my skin quite a bit rotflmo

tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
In my short life I have known a few people personally who were either killed or survived crocodile attacks.

My high School circa 1972 or 71 our head boy and some of his friends go on a Kayak trip. I think it was the Limpopo They were attacked by a crocodile . There was an extraordinary act of bravery on the part of our head boy who dived in after the victim and tried to save him.... The event immortalized by a statue made by Sculptor Henk van der Merwe that later became a mascot at our high school.

His younger brother and I served in the same unit in the military. After Angola he died in a plane crash in Botswana.

Military service 32 bn where I served with the famous Sergeant Major Koos "krokodil" Kruger who after going for a bath in the river was attacked by a crocodile, he managed to get his hand into the crocs mouth and somehow blocked the palatal valve from closing hence allowing water into the crocs trachea ... the croc let him go and he escaped with some scars and an apt name !

1994 the younger brother of famous adventurer , writer and story teller Johan Bakkes, ( we graduated high school together ) gets his left arm bitten off by an attack by two crocodiles while swimming in a dam thought to be crocodile free. He was a trails ranger in the KNP at the time . This young man now one of Namibia's foremost Game Rangers and guides.

More recently 23/02/2011, a friend, colleague and former teacher in Surgery ( age 66 ) , falls into a pond on his crocodile farm while trying to repair a water inlet pipe. The rest now history

The most compelling bit of history Angola 1987 Operation Coolidge, a special forces combat swimming team 4 Recce swims the Cuito river to blow up the bridge under the cover of dark . Not only are the spotted and fired on by the enemy on the banks , The river was very shallow; they have to navigate under water explosive booby traps and after setting their charges the team leader gets into a serious scrap with a crocodile which he manages to fight off receiving serious wounds. No less than 12 Honoris Crux awards were awarded that day.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
In my short life I have known a few people personally who were either killed or survived crocodile attacks.

My high School circa 1972 or 71 our head boy and some of his friends go on a Kayak trip. I think it was the Limpopo They were attacked by a crocodile . There was an extraordinary act of bravery on the part of our head boy who dived in after the victim and tried to save him.... The event immortalized by a statue made by Sculptor Henk van der Merwe that later became a mascot at our high school.

His younger brother and I served in the same unit in the military. After Angola he died in a plane crash in Botswana.

Military service 32 bn where I served with the famous Sergeant Major Koos "krokodil" Kruger who after going for a bath in the river was attacked by a crocodile, he managed to get his hand into the crocs mouth and somehow blocked the palatal valve from closing hence allowing water into the crocs trachea ... the croc let him go and he escaped with some scars and an apt name !

1994 the younger brother of famous adventurer , writer and story teller Johan Bakkes, ( we graduated high school together ) gets his left arm bitten off by an attack by two crocodiles while swimming in a dam thought to be crocodile free. He was a trails ranger in the KNP at the time . This young man now one of Namibia's foremost Game Rangers and guides.

More recently 23/02/2011, a friend, colleague and former teacher in Surgery ( age 66 ) , falls into a pond on his crocodile farm while trying to repair a water inlet pipe. The rest now history

The most compelling bit of history Angola 1987 Operation Coolidge, a special forces combat swimming team 4 Recce swims the Cuito river to blow up the bridge under the cover of dark . Not only are the spotted and fired on by the enemy on the banks , The river was very shallow; they have to navigate under water explosive booby traps and after setting their charges the team leader gets into a serious scrap with a crocodile which he manages to fight off receiving serious wounds. No less than 12 Honoris Crux awards were awarded that day.

Fascinating anecdotes.

May I know what happened to the head boy who went to save the other boy? Rather, what happened to both? Thank you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The School incident happened after their graduation gr 12
they go on a kayak expedition when this goes down.
The victim was never found ?

The hero in the story could not save his friend, he goes on to become a conservationist , he now has a doctorate and has his own wildlife filming company and has done many very successful TV documentaries on wildlife.
in honour of his courage and what made it even more courageous was the fact that he was a CP with a hemiplegic a small stature was commissioned by the school. The artist was Henk van der Merwe a classmate of mine ( he made the statue for the military wall of honour at fort Klapperkop as well)
The statue is named "Die ware Affie" translated the True Affie "affie" being the acronym used to denote a boy who goes to or went to the school named Arikaans boys high in Pretoria.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, ALF, for the full story.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:In my short life I have known a few people personally who were either killed or survived crocodile attacks. My high School circa 1972 or 71 our head boy and some of his friends go on a Kayak trip. I think it was the Limpopo They were attacked by a crocodile . There was an extraordinary act of bravery on the part of our head boy who dived in after the victim and tried to save him.... The event immortalized by a statue made by Sculptor Henk van der Merwe that later became a mascot at our high school.His younger brother and I served in the same unit in the military. After Angola he died in a plane crash in Botswana.Military service 32 bn where I served with the famous Sergeant Major Koos "krokodil" Kruger who after going for a bath in the river was attacked by a crocodile, he managed to get his hand into the crocs mouth and somehow blocked the palatal valve from closing hence allowing water into the crocs trachea ... the croc let him go and he escaped with some scars and an apt name !1994 the younger brother of famous adventurer , writer and story teller Johan Bakkes, ( we graduated high school together ) gets his left arm bitten off by an attack by two crocodiles while swimming in a dam thought to be crocodile free. He was a trails ranger in the KNP at the time . This young man now one of Namibia's foremost Game Rangers and guides. More recently 23/02/2011, a friend, colleague and former teacher in Surgery ( age 66 ) , falls into a pond on his crocodile farm while trying to repair a water inlet pipe. The rest now historyThe most compelling bit of history Angola 1987 Operation Coolidge, a special forces combat swimming team 4 Recce swims the Cuito river to blow up the bridge under the cover of dark . Not only are the spotted and fired on by the enemy on the banks , The river was very shallow; they have to navigate under water explosive booby traps and after setting their charges the team leader gets into a serious scrap with a crocodile which he manages to fight off receiving serious wounds. No less than 12 Honoris Crux awards were awarded that day.

Great Storys, Alf.
Best wishes.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
We had a very nice game scout in Zimbabwe.

He was an old man, and had a deformed arm.

He to,d us he was attacked by the croc when he was a boy, and managed to get away by poking it in the eyes!

He carried a radio with him all the time - did not work, as the battery was dead.

One day we were following elephants, and walked for hours without catching up with them.

I said “you have a radio, why don’t you call and find where the elephants are?”.

He said “the elephants do not have a radio!”

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have been asked about our video of this year.

I am sorry it has taken longer to do this year, but I have been traveling quite a bit - and will be away until January 4th next year.

The video is actually ready, but I am waiting on the delivery of the USB sticks.

As soon as I get them I will ask you to give me your addresses.

Please do not send in any requests yet.

Thank you for your patience.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you in advance, good things are worth waiting for.
Have safe travels.

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am sorry it has taken longer this time, but our safari video is ready.

Any member who wish to have a copy, please send me your name and complete mailing address.

By complete, I mean please make sure you add your country too.

All requests have to be by PM.

I hope you enjoy our adventure.

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much Saeed.

I look forward to watching another of your great adventures!

Kind regards,

Peter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent, thank you in advance for this generous offer, I look forward to it every year.

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
You are both very welcome.

Yours have already been packed and will go tomorrow!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for this offer!
Enjoyed last years very much!
PM sent

Posts: 133 | Location: B.C. Canada  | Registered: 07 June 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The most enjoyable hunting-related media anywhere, and one of the highlights of the year.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9464 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:
The most enjoyable hunting-related media anywhere, and one of the highlights of the year.

Thank you very much.

We take a video of our safari, as we go along.

Do script.

No sponsors to make sure they appear on every frame.

No announcements.

No music.

No backslapping.

No high fives.

No sexy female describing all the action.

No giving the animal a choice how to die.

No promise that it is the best hunting video you are ever likely to see.

I am amazed that any of you like our videos, with all these negatives included clap