New
Find
Notify
Tools

An " EXPERIENCE " in the SELOUS??
 Login/Join

One Of Us
posted
I am seeking your guidance and expertise on who to hunt with in The Selous, simply for the "EXPERIENCE " before it us all over due to conversion to parks, and a dam project already underway. I hope not to late already, I know many, including Saeed's Vincent team, Angiledes team, etc. ,have already moved out to greener padtures!!
We will probably hunt Buffalo as primary and most prevalent classic beast there??
We have spoken with Luke Samaras, Pierre von Tonder, and Tim Hearld, and David Keith. Waiting for dates and prices.
If you were going to select a classic Block and game in what's left today for a true East African tented safari experience, what would you select today?
We can go later this year or 22, we have been advised to go later after the grass is down and the water is concentrated, and before the heat and rains set in... we would consider local Tanzanian operators and PHs as well, I guess few??

Thanks for your guidance.

CheerZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2539 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have been four times with Pierre, all were great

Posts: 568 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted with Pierre Van Tonder and he is First Class. Looking forward to hunting with him again

Posts: 789 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know who is hunting the Selous now, but have always wanted to go back. Pierre is a class act. We hunted the block across from his camp in 2008. Our gari broke down and the guys waded the Ruaha to borrow a fuel pump from him. Nice gesture.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Can’t go wrong with Luke.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We hunted with Pierre twice, in different areas, and enjoyed both very much.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66751 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the Selous I would book with Luke S. He has great areas and PHs like Paddy Curtis who can really add so much more to your safari in the field and around the evening fire.

Posts: 1782 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I sincerely appreciate all of the great input from experience you have had in The Selous!!
The one thing that has been a sticking point with me is the cost of Charters!! I am an old pilot and aircraft owner of some 50 years and I do understand the costs and the safety requirements, especially in Bush operations. That said, I feel that part of an experience that we are seeking is to endure the trek into the hunting blocks the way the hunters of yesteryear did it.... by road!! We are retired and have the time, as long as it is safe from bandits and terrorists, think it is part of the adventure!! Some of the blocks are so remote that it isn't practical to do this... ie 2-3 days, some use commercial air to a closer town in a Caravan or similar regional aircraft, and then in by vehicle 5-6 hours....
We are ok going in or out by air if we can coordinate with other hunters.... but don't want to be the Cargo Hopper for the Outfitter either!!
The commentary I have used in the past, and gets a few laughs is- " when looking at your charter rates, I don't want to buy your airplane, I just want to use it for a few hours... you can have it back!!"... and YES, I could fly it for you too....
I do admire the Outfitters who include the charters and contract them directly with the operator and control the costs, and still remain competitive with their booking rates.
I hope we aren't too late to "EXPERIENCE AND ENJOY THE SELOUS??!!"
CheerZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2539 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted in MH3 with Bushman safaris.

I know Mike Fell still hunts with them... it was very much a Selous experience and we saw all the big 5 but Rhino, and we did see some old tracks for that (how old, no idea, it was almost rock like) and leopard were easy there.

We did fly in.

While not as diverse as the masailand areas for animals, it is definitely a remote experience and I encourage anyone who can to do it.

It’s too bad the government is breaking up the Selous from what it was. Unfortunately the west has a lot of blame for the games we have played to make the area no longer supportable by hunting alone.

Posts: 10478 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Got burned in 2002 flying into the Selous, completely lost my taste for Tanzania and haven’t returned.....Screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
I sincerely appreciate all of the great input from experience you have had in The Selous!!
The one thing that has been a sticking point with me is the cost of Charters!! I am an old pilot and aircraft owner of some 50 years and I do understand the costs and the safety requirements, especially in Bush operations. That said, I feel that part of an experience that we are seeking is to endure the trek into the hunting blocks the way the hunters of yesteryear did it.... by road!! We are retired and have the time, as long as it is safe from bandits and terrorists, think it is part of the adventure!! Some of the blocks are so remote that it isn't practical to do this... ie 2-3 days, some use commercial air to a closer town in a Caravan or similar regional aircraft, and then in by vehicle 5-6 hours....
We are ok going in or out by air if we can coordinate with other hunters.... but don't want to be the Cargo Hopper for the Outfitter either!!
The commentary I have used in the past, and gets a few laughs is- " when looking at your charter rates, I don't want to buy your airplane, I just want to use it for a few hours... you can have it back!!"... and YES, I could fly it for you too....
I do admire the Outfitters who include the charters and contract them directly with the operator and control the costs, and still remain competitive with their booking rates.
I hope we aren't too late to "EXPERIENCE AND ENJOY THE SELOUS??!!"
CheerZ,

You might not wish to drive long distance in Tanzania.

I personally know several people who have died needlessly on the roads in Tanzania.

Posts: 66751 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I booked hunts for Pierre for 14 years, with only one complaint by a total nut case!! You could not do better IMO...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
My first safari was with PVT in 2010?. Air charter was included in the price, and the total safari price was reasonable. Great hunt, great camp, gourmet food from Chef Moses. Perfect staff. My wife loved it so much that she cried when we had to get on the plane. Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2247 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
PM sent.

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 679 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
470 EDDY,
Congratulations on your upcoming Tanzania Safari.
I am kind of transitioning from North American mixed bag hunts that are getting more physically demanding to African hunting. I spent about 14 days in Zimbabwe recently but I am also looking into more remote semi borderless wilderness type hunting that it seems Tanzania will offer.
I have many questions.
470 Eddy, would you prefer I start my own thread or would it be okay with you to start asking Tanzania questions on your thread?
I have questions on the recent breakups of formerly well established hunting areas/territories/outfitters in Tanzania and the effects that area changes/outfitter changes represents.
I understand certain areas in Tanzania have huge tsetse fly issues and other areas in Tanzania not so much of a problem with the Tsetse fly. I would enjoy a hunting area without a major Tsetse fly issue.
Along with buffalo being the primary quarry I would like a area that has a strong Sable population.
I would like to avoid hunting in temperatures much above 85F so not sure about season dates from July through October.
Also I would like to not get ripped off by extreme air charter costs.
I would be possibly interested in a group hunt in 2022 or 2023.
Just let me know and I can remove my post and start a new one of my own.
4WD

Posts: 657 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a very, very expensive place to do business in (just ask me how I know.....) so from the outset the costs are ++. That said I would have to admit that the received experience is quite often not worth the outlay - which is why we're going to Botswana and Namibia next year!

Re the driving - yes the possibility of being killed is very high - but probably not higher than many places in the Middle East. The majority of really bad accidents involve busses or matatu.

quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Got burned in 2002 flying into the Selous, completely lost my taste for Tanzania and haven’t returned.....Screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me.

Posts: 191 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4WD:
470 EDDY,
Congratulations on your upcoming Tanzania Safari.
I am kind of transitioning from North American mixed bag hunts that are getting more physically demanding to African hunting. I spent about 14 days in Zimbabwe recently but I am also looking into more remote semi borderless wilderness type hunting that it seems Tanzania will offer.
I have many questions.
470 Eddy, would you prefer I start my own thread or would it be okay with you to start asking Tanzania questions on your thread?
I have questions on the recent breakups of formerly well established hunting areas/territories/outfitters in Tanzania and the effects that area changes/outfitter changes represents.
I understand certain areas in Tanzania have huge tsetse fly issues and other areas in Tanzania not so much of a problem with the Tsetse fly. I would enjoy a hunting area without a major Tsetse fly issue.
Along with buffalo being the primary quarry I would like a area that has a strong Sable population.
I would like to avoid hunting in temperatures much above 85F so not sure about season dates from July through October.
Also I would like to not get ripped off by extreme air charter costs.
I would be possibly interested in a group hunt in 2022 or 2023.
Just let me know and I can remove my post and start a new one of my own.
4WD

Regarding Tsetse flies.

I have hunted several blocks in the Selous, plus other areas outside the Selous in Tanzania.

The flies are very unpredictable.

You might have days of relatively small amount of them.

You might have days of being covered in flies all day - all in the same area.

Some areas do have sleeping sickness, others don’t.

I do know of a number of individuals hunting with us who did get it.

Including a friend who was hunting with us.

They all recovered, but it was not a walk in the park.

I have hunted several locations where sleeping sickness is found, and only one of us got it.

A good repellent is a must.

And frankly, I think only ones with DEET actually work.

I make my own.

30-50% DEET.

The rest is a mixture of mosquito repellent and 50-100 SPF sun lotion.

Works better than anything commercially available we have tried.

one of us
posted Hide Post
4WD,

Masailand and the unique Masailand species are really the only reason to go to Tanzania IMO. The hunting in the rest of Tanzania is not much different than you can find in Southern Africa except it will be frightfully expensive. Don't misunderstand Tanzania has great hunting in the best areas but generally it is far more expensive and harder to get to than similiar in Southern Africa.

Masailand is one of the really unique experiences you can have in Africa and one of my most treasured experiences. There isn't anywhere quite like it and often the Masailand concessions can be reached by reasonable road transfers with no charter necessary.

You mentioned sable. There are places in Zambia where you can book a hunt and reasonably expect a bull in the mid 40's without buying a 21 day license that Tanzania requires to include sable.

I booked 35 days in Tanzania with a top outfit and went to 3 different areas but in hindsight I wish I had spent the whole safari in Masailand.

Masailand is also cooler because of its elevation. Late season hunts are not uncomfortable there at all.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
4WD,

Masailand and the unique Masailand species are really the only reason to go to Tanzania IMO. The hunting in the rest of Tanzania is not much different than you can find in Southern Africa except it will be frightfully expensive. Don't misunderstand Tanzania has great hunting in the best areas but generally it is far more expensive and harder to get to than similiar in Southern Africa.

Masailand is one of the really unique experiences you can have in Africa and one of my most treasured experiences. There isn't anywhere quite like it and often the Masailand concessions can be reached by reasonable road transfers with no charter necessary.

You mentioned sable. There are places in Zambia where you can book a hunt and reasonably expect a bull in the mid 40's without buying a 21 day license that Tanzania requires to include sable.

I booked 35 days in Tanzania with a top outfit and went to 3 different areas but in hindsight I wish I had spent the whole safari in Masailand.

Masailand is also cooler because of its elevation. Late season hunts are not uncomfortable there at all.

Mark

Mark -

I respectfully disagree with this statement. Tanzania has many very expensive areas and outfitters. It also has many lesser know and competitive areas and operators.

I believe the problem to be, people think "Tanzania", Adam Clements, Mike Fell, Michele Manthiakis kind of all in one thought.

I've been on a 16 day (21 day license) in a pretty darn good area with Wayne Grant at very reasonable prices.

The same could be said about Zambia or any other country, If you were to pick the expensive places/outfits.

There lies a delta between high and fair that is, I agree simply not worth it.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3342 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree that Luke Samaras would be another great choice in the Selous.

Disagree with Steve's and Mark's posts suggesting certain outfitters in Tanzania being overpriced. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. I've hunted with Michel Mantheakis five times in the past and going again this year. He's not bottom of the market, but his areas are top notch and the service and experience is classic East African tent safari. Food is such that don't plan on losing any weight despite your walking. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
My outfitters of choice, the Pasanisi family, were forced out by sad and stupid events outside of their control.

Their hunting blocks and camps were more than excellent, truly beyond compare.

I am certain and sad that anything else will be a disappointment.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13328 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
My outfitters of choice, the Pasanisi family, were forced out by sad and stupid events outside of their control.

Their hunting blocks and camps were more than excellent, truly beyond compare.

I am certain and sad that anything else will be a disappointment.

Don’t.

I have hunted in several camps.

Every single one was great.

The camp does not make the safari.

It is the people who run it that matter.

Pierre camps were great.

TGT camps were great.

Alan Vincent camps were great.

I am sure you will enjoy hunting with any of the above.

We go to the Maldives very often.

On several occasions, on different islands, we met Fredrick Forsyth, the famous write.

I said to him it is strange we seem to pick the same islands.

He said we must have the same taste, as only SOME of the resorts of the Maldives are worth visiting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Agree that Luke Samaras would be another great choice in the Selous.

Disagree with Steve's and Mark's posts suggesting certain outfitters in Tanzania being overpriced. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. I've hunted with Michel Mantheakis five times in the past and going again this year. He's not bottom of the market, but his areas are top notch and the service and experience is classic East African tent safari. Food is such that don't plan on losing any weight despite your walking. Well worth the money in my opinion.

I won't argue with you on what amounts to a difference of opinion. While I'll agree MM has some very nice camps and offers every Masaai species in one safari, It isn't worth 58K in daily rate on a 16 day Safari or 82K in daily rate for a 21 day PG and Leopard. That doesn't include any TF's.

That same Safari with an Indigenous operator can be had for 55K all in, to include TF's. 4 Buffalo on license as well.

Are the camps as nice? Nope, are you pampered? Nope. But none of that matters to me. I simply want to go and hunt the species desired. My relationship with a PH isn't worth a bunch of extra money (to me)

Hunting with an Indigenous PH has some downside. But, Not enough downside to make up that giant delta.

But, both safaris exist, so they are both being purchased at asking price.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3342 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

I think hunters often hunt Tanzania for that full on "East African"experience that they've read about in Ruark and Hemingway's books. That comes at a premium price. My point is to pay that premium price and only be able to hunt what you could hunt elsewhere for far less money makes little sense to this old New Englander. There is some less expensive hunting in Tanzania but as the price goes down so does the total experience. If you don't care about the ambiance and want to hunt someplace different go for it.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Steve,

I think hunters often hunt Tanzania for that full on "East African"experience that they've read about in Ruark and Hemingway's books. That comes at a premium price. My point is to pay that premium price and only be able to hunt what you could hunt elsewhere for far less money makes little sense to this old New Englander. There is some less expensive hunting in Tanzania but as the price goes down so does the total experience. If you don't care about the ambiance and want to hunt someplace different go for it.

Mark

I won't argue that at all. My point is simply what is the all in figure for one of these 16 day Masaai deals? I figured it to be north or 120K.

That's a complete deal breaker for me, regardless of how much money one has.

The real cost may be even more, I was figuring conservatively on Taxidermy. Doing the classics full mounts, Gerneuk, Lesser Kudu and maybe one or two other and now you're talking some real money.

Yes, I know...Hunting is expensive. Roll Eyes

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Steve,

Mark

Sorry, Mark. There is a huge and appreciable difference between a Holiday Inn and the Four Seasons.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13328 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread!! This has been incredibly insightful, valuable and interesting. I have learned alot... and the little pieces outside of camp, ie road travel, and tetse fly and Sleeping Sickness potential, are important factors to weigh in on our final decision.
I had not considered Wayne Grant in the Selous, and yes, we are also considering a trek to Masailand as a great option.
My hunting partner, who I met in the ChaboraBossa camp in Mozambique in 2010 has been watching on the sidelines as well!!

Keep up the great intelligence!! This is the incredible value Saeed and his team generously provide to this small group of very experienced hunters!! This isn't available in any other way!!

THANK YOU, SAEED!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY