New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leica is crap
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I dont normally moan about stuff! But I am posting this so others may be warned.

I know Leica has a huge name in the optics world but I have had nothing but problems with their products and customer service.

It started off with a range finder that went bad. I sent it to Lecica and they replaced it. Ok Great.

Then I was with a friend a couple of years ago in TZ when his range finding binos would not read the range. Sent it to Leica, some weeks later and a bill for about $300 those got sorted.

Now my variable scope! When I bought it new the power ring was a bit stiff! Over time it has become even stiffer and now needs a cloth and brute force to turn it. So off it went to Leica.

They write me back saying it will take 16 weeks to fix. And yes thats not a typo.

If I compare that to Vortex, My binocs had with a deep scratch on one lens, they replaced the lens and serviced the binos for free and sent it back within a couple of weeks~!

So buy Leica at your peril!!!

AR

Posts: 2536 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Thanks Arjun for your perspective on Leica. I own two pair of their range finding binos and I'll keep your experience in mind. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started buying Leica about ten years ago and have four binoculars and four or five rifle scopes.

No problems at all, so far.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I bought my first Leica rangefinding bino this year from a fellow AR member. They were ANIB.

I have had issues with Swaros and have worn out a Zeiss bino, but customer service in both cases was superb.

No issues yet with the Leica, except that when I wear them with a strap, it feels like I’ve slung an anvil around my neck!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13379 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some years back I recall multiple comments here regarding Leicas poor customer service and how that aggrieved owners of Leica optics.
Then there was some announcement that Leica had turned around, promising to provide proper after care and customer service. What's the real situation now ?

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2011 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never owned a Leica rifle scope, but have owned their rangefinders and binos. I find them to be the absolute best. MHO. I've never had to send one back.

Posts: 9994 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leica is the opposite of crap. I’m using their products since decades: binos, range finder and since a year a night vision device. Everything is just perfect, same applies to their fine customer service. My 15 years old bino got quite damaged, it fell and hit the hard surface. Leica fixed it free of charge. After almost 50 years of use it still looks almost like new.

Living and hunting since decades in Africa, nothing can beat my devices from Leica and Zeiss.

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have used every make.

Only I had problems with from the quality Germans is Zeiss!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I have used every make.

Can happen of course, but never with my products from Zeiss. ALL my telescopes are from Zeiss, with one exeption: on a single-shot rifle there is a Schmidt & Bender 4x36 mounted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I have used every make.

Leica is generally known for quality and good customer service. Never had issues with them.

I sent them the range finder of a PH friend of mine and they sent him a new pair as replacement.

Personally i prefer Swarovski. Excellent quality and good customer service also.

I had issues with Zeiss customer service (quality of the products is great) and have not used their product since then.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned a pair of Leica 8x30 binos which fell off my cruiser in a dry river bed, got run over at least twice while searching the road for them and when I found them they had survived the ordeal unscathed.

20 years or so later they are still in perfect condition and I wouldn't trade them for any other make.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had issues with one of their rangefinders and a scope but their customer service was absolutely excellent. Attentive, efficient, and fast.

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
My experience has been quite the opposite. Great products and customer service.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very sorry and surprised to hear this Arjun.
Sold my Swarovski binoculars and switched to Leica. I have their 10x42’s, 15’s, and and older spotting scope that I bought on AR.

Very pleased with the performance and I think the glass is better than any other optics I have used.

A few years (I believe) Doug at Camera Land said Leica was committed to getting better with their customer service??

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
I have 4 Leica Scopes and 4 Binoculars. I recently had a problem with one of the scopes. (My wife say it may have fallen on the floor when she was in my closet). I packaged the item up, printed out the Return Form from their website, and sent it to Leica USA. I received an email from Leica that it was received. I few days later another email that the item was going to have be sent to Germany for repair. Several weeks later another e-mail that the scope was repaired under warranty and ready to ship. I can't ask for anything more and yet folks complain about their customer service.

Posts: 751 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think one has to realize that in this day and age , many things are delayed.

Posts: 11945 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Larry, how dare you bring Rationality into this discussion!

I have 3 or 4 Leica scopes, a rangefinder and a set of 10x42 Ultravids. No complaints here - had a scope issue several years ago and Leica got it right in a four week window.

No complaints here.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can only state that the customer service in Germany is outstanding, that applies not only to Leica but also to Zeiss and Schmidt & Bender etc. I can’t remember that I ever had to pay for the service, even when the device was old and not covered by warranty anymore.

It’s very regrettable if the service outside of Germany has a lower standard, however being German I can only talk about German customer support.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Frustrating for sure.

Stiff power rings (in my opinion) should be addressed as soon as they are noticed. There can be fine metal bits that gall and exacerbate the issue over time. 16 week delay? Seems long, but generally those are conservative estimates. I sent a scope to leupold (stiff power ring) and got a 5-week estimate. I had it in two.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Mine cost $400 to overhaul and I think they just sent a new pair.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9860 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A bit off topic, but I just read about the new Leica Pro 8x32 laser range finding binocs. Finally! Laser rangefinder in either 8x32 or 10x32. Its other capabilities/functions are incredible. 8x32 weighs 30 oz., and is short/compact. MSRP $2,900. Article in Guns magazine pg. 30

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an assortment of Leica range finders, rifle scopes, binos, and spotting scopes. I have beat the hell out of my 10x42 Ultravids and rangefinders without one problem. I noticed a hard (impossible) to turn power ring on a scope after I arrived at camp in Zambia last year. Thankfully, an alert PH noticed the ring was in a bind against the action, apparently from the rifle being pile driven by the baggage goons en route- despite properly torqued ring screws. That took a lot of force. Once sorted out and with minimal re-zero the rifle scope performed flawlessly. I'd say their scopes are pretty tough from that experience.
I buggered a plastic fitting at the junction of the ocular and body of my spotting scope and they sent me a replacement after a quick phone call. So my experience has been pretty good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surefire, that sounds like something I need. I hate big binoculars, but have warmed to the idea of range finder binocs. Was reluctant at first until a Masailand hunt in 2017 when my PH had an absolutely huge pair of Swaros with rangefinding capability. I quit carrying my Leica rangefinder and just asked him, "How far". I've been wanting a pair of rangefinding binos, but the Swaros seem too bulky for me.

As to optics, I think the German's are the best. I've got a lot of Leupold scopes and they are fine for the most part, but I've got Swaros, Leica, Zeiss, and S&B optics and they are all good. Never had a problem with any of them, including some vintage scopes.

Posts: 9994 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, forgot one that I still need to deal with. A Swaro scope that I hired a gunsmith to install because I was short on time. That's a lesson. He didn't install it properly and didn't tighten it down and I wrecked it the first time I shot it.

Embarrassed to ask them to fix it because it was my ex-gunsmith's fault.

one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
I'm just one guy with one pair of Leica Trinivid 8X30 binoculars. I had my pair fog up in Zimbabwe. I have the lifetime warranty. Sent them in, got fixed. Then in Alaska they fogged up again. Next time when I was at the DSC, I talked to their representative at their booth. He told me to send them in and refer to him in my letter. Third times a charm, they have worked fine since.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Arjun, Understand anything with a battery is like tits or tires, it will give you trouble.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1235 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen I was seriously thinking of purchasing the new Leica scope Amplus 1-6x24 for my 375 magnum. Kindly advise should I go ahead or look for other options. Since I am from India service would be an issue in case of any failures. Thank you.

Posts: 36 | Location: India | Registered: 23 August 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey guys,
I am the marketing director for Leica in North America. We don't take this kind of stuff lightly at all!! We take great pride helping people out. We even introduced the new 10year passport warranty and another 30years on the optical system on top of the 10 yr unconditional warranty. We are the only country in the world to offer this because we believe in taking care of the North American market that much. Please sheet me a DM or I can give you my personal cell phone. There is more to the story I guarantee it. I deal with the repair crew on a daily basis. I will help you out and try to make this right for you.
Ryan

Posts: 16 | Location: MT | Registered: 25 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Leica products for 30 years, several binoculars, a couple spotting scopes , range finder, and a couple rifle scopes. All have been outstanding and high performance products. My next pair of binoculars will be Leica. I use my gear . I have had to use Leica service and had very professional results. I also like Schmidt & Bender rifle scopes, even one of those required service. Leica has made major strides in their desire to provide a much higher level of customer service. Witness Leica’s director for North America coming on this board and offering his time and resources.
4WD

Posts: 670 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ryan,

I'd like to hear more about that 1x6 24mm. I like a true one power. Does it come in an illuminated reticle?

My current go-to scope is a Swaro Z6 1x6 illuminated for that reason, but I love Leica binos, so would be interested in trying one.

posted Hide Post
Yes all of the Amplus line of scopes comes with an illuminated center dot in the reticle. 11 brightness settings. Its a great scope.

Posts: 16 | Location: MT | Registered: 25 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Just remember when you buy a Vortex you are paying for 2.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
I have been a Leica owner for about 13 years now.

I have 1 range finder and it works great. The past few PH's I booked with, have used it instead of the one they have.

I also have 2 binoculars and they are clear and easy to use. One in 8 power and the other in 10 power. I find the strap that comes with it easy to use while in the field.

Plus I have 2 scopes. One is on a Colt rifle in 7 MM Rem Mag and it has seen range use, as it my Deer and antelope rifle. I just purchased a Amplus scope to put on a new Fierce rifle in 338 Win Mag that I have on order. So it is still in the box. The Rifle should be ready to pick up in November.

I have visited with the Leica booth at DSC when I attend (it is a must stop booth in my thinking) and I am always looking at what they have. They are good to talk with and you get to see what is available.

So far I have not experienced any issues.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1571 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Own two pair of Trinovid bingos, 8x32 and 10x42. They are awesome and have served me well. The 8x32s were a gift and are older. Had some issues with them years back and sent them in for service. Returned to me as good as new no charge. Like the lie a products.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For my hunting, I like the 8 powers. I'm no sheep hunter and don't like the bulk of a bigger binoc. Do want to check out the Leica scopes.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
Just remember when you buy a Vortex you are paying for 2.

Two what?

A made in China Vortex? Confused

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2792 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don’t get how people expect to buy a $2000-$5000 optic and expect it to be covered 100 percent for all failures including negligence by the user.

The vortex model makes little sense unless for anyone making quality high end optics.

I have had Swarovski z6 go in for repair and the service was exceptional. Same for Minox/blaser.

In both cases the item was shipped back to Germany and repaired. Took 8 weeks.

You get what you pay for.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only scope I ever saw break was on a AR-15. It was a Vortex. The crossword split in two.

Posts: 10805 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
The only scope I ever saw break was on a AR-15. It was a Vortex. The crossword split in two.

I have two crappy vortex academy special scopes ar home - they are simply terrible. I plan to call vortex and ask them to swap it to strike eagles 1-6 scope and I will pay the difference.

The vortex strike eagle 1-6 now 1-8 Chinese made scope is an excellent scope for $$.

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
My expensive Leica 10x42 HDB rangefinding/ballistic binos have NEVER worked in the field, and customer service says it is my problem and bright light and low contrast targets!!...300 yards max... work ok here at home spotting seals and bikinis... up to 1300 yards over water...??
My Leica VLUX-4 is a super camera but they sure aren't water resistant at all... they are a throw away if wet!!
My cheap 1200 range finder works out to about 500 yards.

Go Figure!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2557 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote