THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Advice needed: public smear campaign over dead animal photo

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice needed: public smear campaign over dead animal photo
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted
I am the target of a public smear campaign orchestrated by the Humane Society. The Humane Society obtained a private unflattering photo of me, a dead animal, and a gun. The photo was taken by another individual and was never posted or shared publicly by me. The photo has been provided out of context to one of the Humane Society’s loosely affiliated minions who made a widespread public post on social media stating I killed the feral animal, which I did NOT. It has been brought to the attention of employers, licensing agencies, legal authorities, my kids’ school, friends, etc.

I do not wish to promulgate their false claims, therefore I do not want to reference the social media post directly by linking to it here.

I know similar situations have occurred like this in our hunting community over the years and are becoming more commonplace, unfortunately. Can anyone recommend any specific resource or expert in this field to help me manage the matter in a timely and effective manner? I am afraid it is continuing to gain momentum even as I write this.

Thank you in advance!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
You may need to post more information if you are soliciting assistance. Legal remedies would depend on your country of residence and any applicable State, Province, Prefecture, (ie local) laws and regulations.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Have a chat with MJines.

I had a smear campaign initiated against me but in a different field. I ignored it and subsequently have the people in court on another matter.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9860 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
If I were you, and serious about it, I would consult legal counsel.

In that regard, as Fjold has said, much depends on where you live and other jurisdictional factors.

Recourse and remedies can vary quite a bit from one jurisdiction to another.

Good luck.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13374 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kenati:
I am the target of a public smear campaign orchestrated by the Humane Society. The Humane Society obtained a private unflattering photo of me, a dead animal, and a gun. The photo was taken by another individual and was never posted or shared publicly by me. The photo has been provided out of context to one of the Humane Society’s loosely affiliated minions who made a widespread public post on social media stating I killed the feral animal, which I did NOT. It has been brought to the attention of employers, licensing agencies, legal authorities, my kids’ school, friends, etc.

I do not wish to promulgate their false claims, therefore I do not want to reference the social media post directly by linking to it here.

I know similar situations have occurred like this in our hunting community over the years and are becoming more commonplace, unfortunately. Can anyone recommend any specific resource or expert in this field to help me manage the matter in a timely and effective manner? I am afraid it is continuing to gain momentum even as I write this.

Thank you in advance!

Tell them to kiss your ass.
Or invite them over for a burger? tu2

Posts: 2350 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know where "Dirty Coast" is, but it sounds like there have been some untruths spread. I'd consult with legal counsel immediately. First, you may want to seek injunctive relief to shut down their activities. Second, the statute of limitations on libel/slander/false light claims can be very short depending on the jurisdiction.

Nothing in this email is legal advice and I am not offering advice as a lawyer representing anyone in this matter. That said, on a totally personal level, I'd hire a lawyer.

Posts: 9994 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
I don't know where "Dirty Coast" is, but it sounds like there have been some untruths spread. I'd consult with legal counsel immediately. First, you may want to seek injunctive relief to shut down their activities. Second, the statute of limitations on libel/slander/false light claims can be very short depending on the jurisdiction.

Nothing in this email is legal advice and I am not offering advice as a lawyer representing anyone in this matter. That said, on a totally personal level, I'd hire a lawyer.

Also as a lawyer, I echo the non-legal advice of lavaca. The one IP course fit into my part-time schedule to still finish a year ahead of schedule (I was too old and needed to work). It was on days that I had a prerequisite class just before lunch, but I could take this IP course pass/fail after lunch. That’s what I did and passed it despite snoozing half the time.

Consult counsel in that field, but as was said, much depends on where you are, personal damages, etc.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the comments. Counsel retained.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Document what's being put out there, record it all.
And by whom, names IF you can find them would go a long way.

And what it's cost you and how. You'll have to
prove it if it gets to court.

Best wishes,

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kenati,

Glad you are represented.

Posts: 9994 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck. I had an animal welfare group steal a photo off an internet forum and use it on their Facebook page. Nothing too graphic or gory. Just a photo of me with a dead feral. Fortunately they don’t know my name. They refused to take the photo (subject to copyright) down. Facebook would do nothing to help. In my case it has done no damage that I’m aware of but would require legal action to have the photo removed.

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think this is a good opportunity to discuss social media & the ramifications of things posted, especially things that are not true.

The following is a link to a case where someone used social media and other means to spread untruths with the intent of damaging someone. The judgment was $17,657,420.

https://www.imjlawfirm.com/sin...n-Verdict-1765742000

Personally, I hope Kenati is able to hammer these people.

Posts: 11943 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
All of us hunters need to be aware of this now popular tactic ( 'there but for the grace of God go I' ). Should you get a 'Go Fund Me' page going I'd chip in.

And to the lawyers I see a real niche for a law firm network that can represent so smeared hunters/hunting outfitters/PH's and put some real teeth onto this kind of thing. A lot of these groups that are doing this public smear/harrass thing are collectible.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
They learned a lot from the Walter Palmer situation.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote