Find
Notify
Tools

Name the organization
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted
The latest SCI thread brought up an interesting thought which I also have pondered. Since we have data from an NRA study that words like "trophy" and perhaps "sport" are looked upon with a negative view in regards to hunting.....

What would you name your international hunting conservation organization if you helped spearhead it's birth today?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7573 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Whatever name it has, it should not include the words trophy or sport.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66763 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wiil press my name forward formally and officially :

International Hunting and Conservation Foundation. ICHF.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I knew we had talked about this before. From 2015: http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/9121046412/p/1

My idea then was the International Sporting and Conservation Aliiance. But if “sporting” is now gauche, I guess we’ll have to dump it. ;-)

...but change Foundation above to Alliance - now you have something.

International Hunting and Conservation Alliance

Hmmmm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe it's also important for any Internet presence to emphasize the conservation and anti-poaching aspects. Not just using the word in the title. It is worth if necessary paying for the right editorial content. Most of this is private sector now anyway, and it is easy to show who pays for it and who doesn't, which is in our favor.

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
What would you name your international hunting conservation organization if you helped spearhead it's birth today?

International Harvester... Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7136 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
yuck

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
quote:

rotflmo

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3501 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Conservation International

Posts: 1853 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari2:
Conservation International

https://www.conservation.org/Pages/default.aspx

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
No matter the name, the org must LEAD with conservation of wildlife and habitat, community involvement and support with sustainable hunting as a means to that very positive end. It has to be hunting as a means to support the rest, not the rest as a means to support hunting, else you lose credibility and are seen as simply padding the zoo for your own sick pleasure. One is defensible and promotable, one is not.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about:

Conservationist United for Natural Things

Posts: 11909 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
How about:

The URL would be problematic - and is probably already in use...but I ain't checking!

one of us
posted Hide Post
International association for the conservation of wildlife and wild lands.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
he URL would be problematic - and is probably already in use...but I ain't checking!

I don't get it :-)

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
JMHO. The name should reflect conservation first and hunting second, it should relate to the "world" or "International", etc. and ideally the acronym should be something pronounceable or preferably be a real word.

Conservationist and Hunters of the World - CHOW
Association of International Conservationists and Hunters - AICH

Etc.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
JMHO. The name should reflect conservation first and hunting second, it should relate to the "world" or "International", etc. and ideally the acronym should be something pronounceable or preferably be a real word.

Etc.

Agree on all parts. My favorite org name is the East African Professional Hunters Association - it was clear what it was, and had a great, pronounceable acronym - EAPHA - "eefa"

Three-letter acronyms also work well, like CHA - Conservation and Hunting Alliance - something like that.

I think SCI used to use "First for Hunters" as a tagline - if conservation includes hunting, you can be First for Conservation and be 100% pro-hunting to achieve that goal.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:

Etc.

Love the CHOW acronym.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7573 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the man,e should identify that hunting begetts Conservation.

One can not have Conservation without hunting.

But I accept if the body disagrees.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

We could even spice that up a little and make it even more topical; John 'Deere' International Harvester.

Posts: 3827 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
I think the name should identify that hunting begetts Conservation.

One can not have Conservation without hunting.

But I accept if the body disagrees.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Hunting “ something “
No sport, harvest etc, because that’s just bullshit

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
The Conscientious Consortium for Conservation.
a.k.a the CCC.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sierra Club

Big Grin

After all, that is what it started out as....

Posts: 10479 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
How about:

lol

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Sierra Club

Big Grin

After all, that is what it started out as....

People should remember that as well. Just like fish and wildlife used to be fish and game. Orgs can be hijacked.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of J.R.Jackson
posted Hide Post
Benevolent Order of Dagga Boys

Posts: 570 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 12 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

We have a winner! jumping

My humble and no doubt losing offering would be:

The Killer Elite.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Whatever happened to Game COIN? Looks like the organization went inactive, but I don't know the details.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Etc.

I have to respectfully disagree with "conservation first and hunting second". While it may sound good, I consider it largely disingenuous. My pulse doesn't quicken when I see a buffalo, and my heart doesn't start racing when I'm 20 yards from an elephant, because my primary focus is the conservation of all things wild. I am there and what I'm experiencing is because I love to hunt. I wish I could find the words to explain why it is such a passion, but I haven't been able to yet.

That's not to say that the conservation of wild places and the animals that inhabit those areas is not important to me. It is, always has been and always will be. But that's not the primary reason that I hunt.

"Hunters for the Hungry" is a name that has always resonated with me. It clearly conveys that Hunters are responsible for this effort. But just like Conservation, I didn't convert my property to wildlife management and I don't kill several whitetail and exotics each year to feed the hungry. I did it because I love to hunt. A benefit of this has been the conversion of the land from agricultural usage to a wildlife focus and the donation of what I consider high quality meat to those in need.

I believe that if a new name is adopted (for DSC for example), or a new alliance is created, it should be as clear as "Hunters for the Hungry" that Hunters are responsible for the Conservation benefits demonstrated and claimed, and not something that suggests the only reason we hunt is for conservation. It doesn't take too much to see through that claim ....

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wiil press my name forward formally and officially :

International Hunting and Conservation Foundation. ICHF.

I think that is a good name. We have to take SPORT AND TROPHY out of the equation.

IHCF or ICHF is a good idea,

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Whatever name it has, it should not include the words trophy or sport.

I have said that so many times. I believe that is 100 % true. Those two names are thrown in hunters faces all the time.

Posts: 1089 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

HUNTERS ANONYMOUS (HA)

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2253 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:

HUNTERS ANONYMOUS (HA)

Damn. That is too rich and so many layered with self-deprecation and wicked irony.

I’m reminded of Katharine Hepburn’s maxim: “They can write whatever they want, as long as they spell my name right.”

It’s like the opposite of (or the same thing as?) that - with a f$&@ you thrown in.

I think we may have a new winner! animal

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
International Union for Wildlife Restorancy and Conservation

United groups towards Restoring habitat and environment, like old farms etc, to areas where wildlife can again roam free, conserved through sustainable use. Been successful in Southern Africa

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
You already have the
The True Green Alliance
@TheTrueGreenAlliance

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
All very well coming up with an acceptable name for our sport but what about doing something about it?

There are a number of bodies and organisations that need to be brought together under one house and one that has an audible voice.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9846 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fair game : I agree. I would love to see DSC, Rocky Mountain Elk, Wild Sheep, and Boone and Crocket unite under one banner. Do away with the awards and as part of their character set down a charter that defines and advances fair chase and ethical hunting. Boone and Crocket does not recognize high fence hunting.

Like,I said in an earlier post I believe an nuanced articulation can be a made to include operations like the Save. Larry Shores has made this articulation. If an outfitter wants to do business with this new association they would have to sign off on the charter. Failure to follow would result in the Outfitter (or hunter) being excommunicated and unable to receive donations or exhibit at conventions held by the association. There would need to be a mechanism for client hunters to report violations. Such as when Mark Young’s “well respected” outfitter told him he must break a Tanzania game law and shoot from the truck. Mark Young to his credit told him no.

Before anyone says it cannot be done. I suggest they look up the International Conference for the Protection of Wild Animals where hunters where part of the forming regulations that were introduced to halt the colonial slaughter. Lord Delamare was very vocal at this conference suggesting large swaths of land be set aside for game and supported through hunting.

Leaving other tracts for agriculture and settlement.

Other regulations included for adding trade in tusk less than 10pounds. A modern version of this particular reg would be not to target immature bull elephants or lions.

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
In the early 1970's, I was working for a wholesale hunting and fishing company. Our daily discussions mainly focused on hunting and fishing as one might surmise. An article was published in one of the major US sporting mags that brought about the subject of "anti-hunting" voices. One of my co-workers asked me if I thought they would ever end hunting. My reply was; "No, we'll price ourselves out of business with with the high cost of hunting and related products, red tape and arguing over how, when and where we should be allowed to hunt." We as a broad group of men and women worldwide are doing a great job of arguing ourselves right into the hands of our enemy; an enemy who's true agenda is money, not animal welfare of conservation. Follow the money but stop arguing over how, when, where and who's right and who's wrong. Just my humble opinion. LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the early 1970's, I was working for a wholesale hunting and fishing company. Our daily discussions mainly focused on hunting and fishing as one might surmise. An article was published in one of the major US sporting mags that brought about the subject of "anti-hunting" voices. One of my co-workers asked me if I thought they would ever end hunting. My reply was; "No, we'll price ourselves out of business with with the high cost of hunting and related products, red tape and arguing over how, when and where we should be allowed to hunt." We as a broad group of men and women worldwide are doing a great job of arguing ourselves right into the hands of our enemy; an enemy who's true agenda is money, not animal welfare of conservation. Follow the money but stop arguing over how, when, where and who's right and who's wrong. Just my humble opinion. LDK

You Sir are a light in the darkness, Thank You.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote