Find
Notify
Tools

Do Africa hunters migrate ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted

Thierry's Zim PH thread made me think. It made me think that there are also great PHs in Namibia, RSA, Bots, Tanzi and elsewhere in Africa but perhaps less published and talked or written on.

I have hunted with PHs in RSA and Namibia that I would hunt again with - plains or DG - at the shake of a stick. Professionals that rank high in my view.

But my question is, whether the 'tough crowd' that a lot of AR is has or tends to migrate to Zimbabwe and Zambia (and to a lesser Tanzi and Uganda) as the DG waterholes of Africa and having arrived we stay there and we focus our attentions there as opposed to wandering other African states.

Am not saying this is a good thing or a bad thing - maybe just a thing.

Perhaps the question put another way - how many who hunt Zim, Zam and the other 'wild' countries have booked a hunt this year in RSA or Namibia or are looking at doing so in the near future ?

Cheers

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2253 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
Hi Charlie,

Not sure if this is the kind of answer you were looking for but from my experience most not all but most people that I’ve hunted with in Zim would’ve either already hunted SA or Namibia before and all people I’ve hunted with in Cameroon would’ve hunted multiple other African countries by the time they hunt Cameroon.

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Thierry, yes that's what I am thinking. We start off with RSA and Namibia and then 'migrate' to Zim and Zambia as the DG staples occasionally wandering off to Burkina, Benin, Uganda etc.

Start simple and grow from there sort of thing?

Posts: 2253 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Charlie,

I was reading you first post while thinking about this.

Hunters are hunters, but what about dropping one off in a far away land? It is rather interesting.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Alan Vincent hunts in many different countries in Africa.

I used to hunt with his father Roy in Zimbabwe when Alan was a little boy.

All three of us hunt together now in Tanzania.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66762 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
All Vincent hunts in many different countries in Africa.

I hunted with Con Van Wyk in Zim in 1989. When I asked him who he thought the best hunter in Africa is he responded without hesitation...Roy Vincent.

Posts: 1853 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari2:
quote:

I hunted with Con Van Wyk in Zim in 1989. When I asked him who he thought the best hunter in Africa is he responded without hesitation...Roy Vincent.

Roy is one of those old school gentlemen in addition to being a great professional hunter.

Alan fits right in his footsteps!

The three of us have been hunting together for close to 40 years.

There is no guesswork what anyone would do.

Everyone knows what he supposed to do - and invariable one of the trio screwed up. Most of the times on purpose!

Hunting dangerous game is serious business- except for us!

It is a laugh a minute comedy show!

We always wonder how we manage to shoot anything!

Add Walter to the mixture and all hell breaks loose!

Nothing beats hunting with old friends clap

Posts: 66762 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Hi Saeed, That's what I am saying / thinking.

You hav found your 'fit' and you stay with it. Tanzi and Alan. Others are Zim or Zam.

But do you ever get the itch to hunt somewhere else for something different with someone new?

Or does one 'plateau' on DG with one or a couple of PHs in a specific country that you really enjoy?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have hunted Zimbabwe for a number of years - all with Roy Vincent.

When he l0st his concession his s0n Alan went to work in Tanzania, and that is where we hunt now.

I am not a trophy hunter, just enjoy hunting, and when with friends, it is even more enjoyable.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Safari2:
quote:

Roy is one of those old school gentlemen in addition to being a great professional hunter.

Alan fits right in his footsteps!

The three of us have been hunting together for close to 40 years.

There is no guesswork what anyone would do.

Everyone knows what he supposed to do - and invariable one of the trio screwed up. Most of the times on purpose!

Hunting dangerous game is serious business- except for us!

It is a laugh a minute comedy show!

We always wonder how we manage to shoot anything!

Add Walter to the mixture and all hell breaks loose!

Nothing beats hunting with old friends clap

Yes, Roy is/was excellent. He had a hell of an interesting and successful career, that’s for certain. In retirement, his hunts with you are a special treat... for everyone! Saeed, when you reference him as “an old school gentleman” you describe him perfectly.

Between being a meat hunter for the Wankie mines as a teenager, to working for Rhodesia’s game department, then becoming a PH as Zimbabwe gained independence, few have taken or guided to as many animals as Roy did back in the day; Especially the numbers of buffalo and elephant he accounted for. Yet, he never talks about his past. I had to pry it out of him once when they were staying as guests in my home. I was stunned at how many buffalo and elephant he’d taken, but we’ve never discussed it before or since. I asked him why he doesn’t write a book and he just said that nobody would be interested in his experiences and others had done much more. His modesty was sincere. He’s one of the best, but will go into history largely unknown because of his desire to stay out of the spotlight.

With Alan, the apple landed very close to the base of the tree.

Posts: 3833 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think most do try different places if they have the time, money, and health.

I was one of the odd birds that hunted both Zimbabwe and Zambia before I tried South Africa.

I don’t see myself restricting my hunting just to one country going forward either. I like the adventure of new places, but returning to things you enjoy is fun also.

Posts: 10478 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Namibia, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Zimbabwe, and my next hunt is in Zimbabwe. I think after that I am going to look at hunting Uganda or West Africa.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3501 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Charlie,

I am not sure what you are trying to get to with your question.

For a few years i went to sportsman shows and was looking at going to Africa. Everyone that I talked to would not take me on a Cape Buffalo hunt for my first time to Africa. And I do mean every Booth that I stopped at, and i visited every African booth. So with a little help on the internet i found a PH that would take me Cape Buffalo hunting, heck I did not even own a rifle big enough at the time and rented one from the PH, I just needed to bring ammo for the gun.

There fore i started in Tanzania, then South Africa (i wanted to go to Namibia however they were booked), then to Zimbabwe and onto South Africa. Now this year i will be going to Namibia. for the future i am looking at Mozambique or Zambia.

My thing is i want to go to different places and have a chance at different game to see and hunt.

That may make me a little different in my outlook of things.

My hunting is on my priority list and i set aside money to make it happen. I put together a priority list of game animals that i would like to have a chance at, look at the cost factor from different PH's and I do look around at different options available.

In stead of booking a hunt, I am now thinking of waiting for short notice hunt that are offered and jump on those in the future.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1563 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana338:
Charlie,

For a few years i went to sportsman shows and was looking at going to Africa. Everyone that I talked to would not take me on a Cape Buffalo hunt for my first time to Africa. And I do mean every Booth that I stopped at, and i visited every African booth. So with a little help on the internet i found a PH that would take me Cape Buffalo hunting, heck I did not even own a rifle big enough at the time and rented one from the PH, I just needed to bring ammo for the gun.

There fore i started in Tanzania, then South Africa (i wanted to go to Namibia however they were booked), then to Zimbabwe and onto South Africa. Now this year i will be going to Namibia. for the future i am looking at Mozambique or Zambia.

My thing is i want to go to different places and have a chance at different game to see and hunt.

My hunting is on my priority list and i set aside money to make it happen. I put together a priority list of game animals that i would like to have a chance at, look at the cost factor from different PH's and I do look around at different options available.

In stead of booking a hunt, I am now thinking of waiting for short notice hunt that are offered and jump on those in the future.

Bwana, I can’t imagine why a safari operator wouldn’t take you buffalo hunting on your first safari, unless they simply didn’t have buffalo to offer you. I’ve never heard of such a thing. Heck, on my first safari I shot 2 buffalo bulls, a leopard and a bull elephant. Nobody seemed to care and I was only 24 years old.
I’m curious, why did they refuse to take you buffalo hunting?

Posts: 3833 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana338:
Charlie,

Bwana, I can’t imagine why a safari operator wouldn’t take you buffalo hunting on your first safari, unless they simply didn’t have buffalo to offer you. I’ve never heard of such a thing. Heck, on my first safari I shot 2 buffalo bulls, a leopard and a bull elephant. Nobody seemed to care and I was only 24 years old.
I’m curious, why did they refuse to take you buffalo hunting?

Does seem odd and I recommend wild Africa for all newcomers. Hunting Buffalo as your first experience is one likely you will never forget.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9846 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread.

I know of NZ hunting guides who also guide in the US.

Phil Shoemaker's son also hunts Africa.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
I think most do try different places if they have the time, money, and health.

I was one of the odd birds that hunted both Zimbabwe and Zambia before I tried South Africa.

I don’t see myself restricting my hunting just to one country going forward either. I like the adventure of new places, but returning to things you enjoy is fun also.

I have never hunted RSA.

Went to Zim on my first Safari on a buffalo hunt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote