Find
Notify
Tools

Twin rifles for Africa
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
300 H+H and 470 Capstick for me. My set are Winchester 70's.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My standard response has been a 416 Rem and a 338 Win Mag, both on Model 70 Classic actions.

At the moment I would choose a 375 RUM built on a Winchester action and a 300 RUM Super Grade.

Next week it might be something different!

Regardless, they would have European glass and be fed A-Frames or TSXs.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ongwe:
My standard response has been a 416 Rem and a 338 Win Mag, both on Model 70 Classic actions.

At the moment I would choose a 375 RUM built on a Winchester action and a 300 RUM Super Grade.

Next week it might be something different!

Regardless, they would have European glass and be fed A-Frames or TSXs.

I find the 300 RUM shooters interesting, especially for African hunting. I have a model 700 XCR in 300 RUM, and can truly say I was surprised at how much I dislike the rifle & caliber. I do not like muzzle breaks and none of my rifles have one. So, the recoil on the RUM is pretty severe, much more than my 338 win mag. I’ve never seen an animal in Africa that I thought merited the extra range of a RUM (I’ve only shot a few animals on 6 safaris that were 300+ yards, with most inside 150) so the 338 is, IMO, about the perfect medium caliber. I imagine a 30-06 would have killed nearly all of them just as well. I realize there are hunters who regard it as an ultimate cartridge in its various offerings, but I don’t believe the sharp, hard recoil is worth it, nor the effects a muzzle break have on everyone in the vicinity of the shooter.

Perhaps I’m just soft, but the older I get the more I believe in ‘balance’ versus trying to achieve as much of something in the extreme as possible. My 300 RUM is the only rifle I’ve ever wanted to get rid of.

Posts: 3851 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
I would go with .470 and a 300 win mag

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
375 H&H and 30-06.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jon, Remember the one you shot in BF with my 375. That was the quickest buff hunt I have been onSmiler

quote:
Originally posted by luan:
Hi guys no better then that only wish my 300 h/h was finished building

Posts: 2536 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I went to Africa in 2015, I took two pre 64 Winchester model 70's; a 375 H&H with 1.75-6x Leupold Vari-XIII scope and a Featherweight 30-06 with a Leupold VX-2 2-7 scope. If limited to one I would take the 375 H&H for everything.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lot’s of big old buffalo in the Save. Knowing what I know now, I would bring my .416 Rigby and the 300H&H with it’s S&B 3-10x50 for those possible low light shots on plains game .

Posts: 670 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I’d go with two Winchester Model 70’s: One in .300 WSM, which I’ve hunted with in Namibia since 2012, and I’d add a .375 H&H for DG. Both would be topped by Leupold Vari-X III’s.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’d go with two Winchester Model 70’s: One in .300 WSM, which I’ve hunted with in Namibia since 2012, and I’d add a .375 H&H for DG.

Good choice too, Bud. I hunted African plains game with a 300 WSM Winchester Model 70 all over Africa for over 15 years and then switched to a 325 WSM Winchester Model 70. On one hunt in Namibia, my PH dubbed the 325 WSM the 'Hammer of Thor', especially on Gemsbok and Mountain Zebra. I've also killed grizzly in Alaska with the same 325 WSM, and coues deer in Mexico as well. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep it coming!!

I am seeing a trend - a spike in "likes" for several calibers. Big bores are .375HH, .416's and a doubles. For the smaller bores - several around .30 calibers.

No one has suggested a 7mm for a second gun.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you state twin rifles I thought very similar rifles.

If I’m not doing a specialty hunt, it would be fun to use a .470 double and a .416 magazine gun.

Posts: 10578 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Keep it coming!!

I am seeing a trend - a spike in "likes" for several calibers. Big bores are .375HH, .416's and a doubles. For the smaller bores - several around .30 calibers.

My answer was based on what I would like to take now.

Previously, I have taken a 375 H&H magnum and a 25-05 Remington.

Several 416 and several 270 wildcats, 338, 7mm.

My decision on taking 2 identical 375s was made as a 7mm I had gave me a problem.

Nothing to do with the caliber at all.

My own fault.

The rifle was a Lazzeroni 7.21 Firebird.

Shot extremely well.

First day on a safari in Chete I could not hit the proverbial barn door from the inside!

Turned out the action screws were loose.

We were trying to shoot several impala for leopard bait.

We did not have the right Allen key to fix it, so left it in the truck and I used my 375/404.

Not long after we had four impala bait, with four shots.

Including one over 400 yards away.

I de died to build myself another 375/404, which I did, and never looked back.

These two rifles have taken several hundred heads of game, by several hunters.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66909 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never been to Africa but I think Saeed's choice of a pair rifles that are the same and the same calibre is best for anywhere.

From memory Saeed has those 375/404 Improved loaded to what would be top ballistics for a 375 Wby.

I could use a 375 H&H on everything. I could not count the number of kangaroos, pigs and goats I have shot with the 375, probably more than many Americans have shot woodchucks or prairie dogs. I have also done it a 270 alog with the 375 and the 375 was fine. Ranges would be much longer than you do in Africa. So the 375 is prefect for the smaller stuff and Saeed has proven over huge numbers the 375 bore is tops for the big stuff.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a hunt scheduled in the Save for 2022. I’ll either take my .400 H&H and .300 H&H both Dakota 76s or a .470 double and a .375 H&H also a Dakota.

Posts: 48 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who are you hunting with ?

Take a 375 h&h and another gun which they need ammo for. I took a 375 h&h and 375 ruger cause Mokore needed some 375 ruger ammo.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mokore

Posts: 10136 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mokore

Take a 375 Ruger and bring them some ammo Big Grin

An awesome place and you will have an awesome hunt.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Keep it coming!!

My answer was based on what I would like to take now.

Previously, I have taken a 375 H&H magnum and a 25-05 Remington.

Several 416 and several 270 wildcats, 338, 7mm.

My decision on taking 2 identical 375s was made as a 7mm I had gave me a problem.

Nothing to do with the caliber at all.

My own fault.

The rifle was a Lazzeroni 7.21 Firebird.

Shot extremely well.

First day on a safari in Chete I could not hit the proverbial barn door from the inside!

Turned out the action screws were loose.

We were trying to shoot several impala for leopard bait.

We did not have the right Allen key to fix it, so left it in the truck and I used my 375/404.

Not long after we had four impala bait, with four shots.

Including one over 400 yards away.

I de died to build myself another 375/404, which I did, and never looked back.

These two rifles have taken several hundred heads of game, by several hunters.

Saeed, did you never figure out that the Real reason your 7mm wouldn’t shoot was that Walter drilled small offcenter holes in the base of the bullets? Big Grin

Posts: 3851 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
22 for plains game
30/06 for big stuff

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
A pair of .375s, either H&H or Weatherby

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Twin(ish) CZ550's. .375 H&H and .300 Win Mag.

Posts: 1422 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hidalgo:
I’ve got a hunt scheduled in the Save for 2022. I’ll either take my .400 H&H and .300 H&H both Dakota 76s or a .470 double and a .375 H&H also a Dakota.

My last two hunts 400H&H and a 450 NE

Posts: 1610 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always thought the 30 calibers were neither fish nor fowl when it comes to hunting. Fine for military use, but too light for some game and too heavy for others.

So if you want to straddle the spectrum with 2 calibers, you come up with a 6 or 6.5 or 257 for the light stuff; and a 338 or 375 for the biggest game. To put a fine point on it, you should select two calibers that have approximately the same trajectory. This rules out a lot of the very fast calibers at the light end.

This comment is not specific to Africa, as most of us hunt at home as well.

If you want to narrow it down to only one caliber, then a 9.3 or 375 (of some flavor) has to be the best compromise, but only because the 338 is not legal in many countries for DG.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2927 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To Russell's point a 30-06 with a 180 gr premium bullet and 375 H&H loaded with the 270 TSX should both give 2700 FPS +. This makes their trajectories almost identical out to 300 yards which is going to be a max range in most of Africa. Additionally this is a very shootable combo for most any hunter novice or otherwise.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12861 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
UEG: Funny you mention your PH calling your gun “Hammer of Thor”. When I’ve used my PH’s 8 X 68 mm Mauser, he also called it “Hammer of Thor” because I made so many one shot kills with it on Eland and Waterbuck. He also loaned me his Ruger 77 in .308 with a massive “Tactical” barrel. It was so heavy, I nicknamed it the “Anvil of Thor”.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own Model70's in 300 H&H and 375 H&H.

I would be more inclined to take my Model 70's in 338-06 and 416 Rem if I was going this year.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
500 Jeffery for everything, from jackrabbits to TRex

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4728 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Keep it coming!!

I once used a 7mm Rem. Mag. as a third rifle! I also took along a .458 Lott and a .375 H&H Mag. on that trip.

IIRC, I killed an impala, a reedbuck, a hartebeest and a waterbuck with my 7mm on that trip, all with 160 grain Nosler Partition bullets.

No complaints!

Did I mention that I like rifles? Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13379 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I plan on taking my .404J and something in .338.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lately I think a 6.5x55 and a 9.3x62 would be a classic classy pair.

or 9.3 and 458 lott...

or .06, 7mag and 416 of some sort.

I don't think there could be too many wrong answers.

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
quote:
Keep it coming!!

I once used a 7mm Rem. Mag. as a third rifle! I also took along a .458 Lott and a .375 H&H Mag. on that trip.

IIRC, I killed an impala, a reedbuck, a hartebeest and a waterbuck with my 7mm on that trip, all with 160 grain Nosler Partition bullets.

No complaints!

Did I mention that I like rifles? Big Grin

On my third safari with Andrew in Zambia, I took a 404 Jeffery, 35 Whelen and a 7mm RM. Used the 7mm on a great Puku.

Posts: 2586 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is just way to much thought and logic in this response...

EZ
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
To Russell's point a 30-06 with a 180 gr premium bullet and 375 H&H loaded with the 270 TSX should both give 2700 FPS +. This makes their trajectories almost identical out to 300 yards which is going to be a max range in most of Africa. Additionally this is a very shootable combo for most any hunter novice or otherwise.

Mark

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:

EZ
quote:

Mark

Exactly and hence the reason why it is always my light rifle and I picked .458 WM as the heavy for my pair.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36509 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in total agreement. It is exactly why I chose what I chose, with only very minor variation. I.E. I used 260 grain Nosler Partitions in the 375 and 180 grain Nosler Partitions in 30-06 both at a little over (actual) 2700 FPS, 2711 and 2725 respectively.

quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:

EZ
quote:

Mark

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the experienced big bore shooter 416 to 458 and 300 mag. For the average joe 375 or 9.3x62 and 270 to 300 mag.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe-S:
470 NE for the big or close animals and scoped 375 H&H for the far animals big and small

My sentiments exactly!

If only one rifle, I would take a scoped Whitworth bolt rifle chambered for 375 H&H for everything from cape buffalo down to impala shooting Nosler partitions and North Fork cup points.
If two rifles were taken it would still be the 375 H&H bolt, and a 470NE double with North Fork cup points!

…...…...… Just one opinion! oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
416 Rem or Rigby and 338 win mag, most of your shots won't be that far, or you could just take the 375 and call it good

Posts: 1012 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having hunted next door at Bubye a few times I ve used a Gibbs 505 for PG and buffalo for myself and .30/378 WBY for my sons but the last two times I used .577 double instead of the Gibbs for me. It all depends what you can shoot accurately and handle the recoil. I d also be happy with one of my 375/505 customs for DG and my .338/505 for PG. The latter I suspect would be fine for DG at 3270 fps with 300 g Berger but it’s heavy.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
UEG: Funny you mention your PH calling your gun “Hammer of Thor”. When I’ve used my PH’s 8 X 68 mm Mauser, he also called it “Hammer of Thor” because I made so many one shot kills with it on Eland and Waterbuck. He also loaned me his Ruger 77 in .308 with a massive “Tactical” barrel. It was so heavy, I nicknamed it the “Anvil of Thor”.

Not sure it's the guns now, Bud. Big Grin It seems that our reputations for one shot kills must get around in Namibia! rotflmo rotflmo wave