New
Find
Notify
Tools

2021- DSC & SCI Conventions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope the convention comes off without a hitch next year. I missed last year for the first time in years because of business commitments. It's always a good place to catch up with old friends. And to finalize arrangements for the next hunt. More importantly, I hope this thing gets under control as I'm not looking forward to international flights next year with masks and all that.

Posts: 9953 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
So what's the conclusion here? Live free or die find a tree to hide behind?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19294 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
DSC should move its convention to a more peripheral location...at least until this thing blows over.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When all of this started, I honestly never dreamed that things could get as bad as they have gotten. I means things such as a lockdown of international flights.

I think there is a massive over reaction to the virus. On this other hand, I see sheer stupidity on a daily basis. Many, perhaps most, are not taking it seriously. Some of the prevention measures are really not all that bad yet many balk.

Every day that goes by, I doubt that either convention will happen more and more. When this started, I was worried about my July trips. Now I am worried about my January trips.

Posts: 11909 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
When all of this started, I honestly never dreamed that things could get as bad as they have gotten. I means things such as a lockdown of international flights.

I think there is a massive over reaction to the virus. On this other hand, I see sheer stupidity on a daily basis. Many, perhaps most, are not taking it seriously. Some of the prevention measures are really not all that bad yet many balk.

Every day that goes by, I doubt that either convention will happen more and more. When this started, I was worried about my July trips. Now I am worried about my January trips.

At least you don’t need to worry about a mid-December trip.

Posts: 3835 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I live in hope.

We have a late September booking, and if we are able we will go.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
quote:

At least you don’t need to worry about a mid-December trip.

Good point!

Posts: 11909 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
The conventions for 2021 are going to be slim pickings, I am not sure who will be able to make it both intentional or domestic at this time. The marginal operators will be out of business this year and if travel does not open soon, many more will be forced to fold up shop in 2021.

The US State Department still has us locked down for travel and many countries will not accept USA citizens for entry. Until your Cristal ball let everyone know when we can travel, no one is going any place soon. Dreams and reality are colliding these days.

While we continue to be wanting this to be over, well we need to get over it. This is around for a while and USA residents are being excluded from world travel, mainly due to our masses who do foolish/stupid things as the virus is continuing to spread. Just read where Houston hospitals are full and the big 3 states Florida, Texas and California are growing cases fast. The younger crowd, who seen to think this is a joke are the new leaders in cases.

As much as we all want to travel it does not appear that we will be able to do any international travel until fall of 2021. That is the predictions that I am reading now. That is really going to bugger up our May trip for 2021.

Travel is changing these days and we need to adapt and be ready for the new changes.

Now are medical experts are looking for a vaccine that is 60% to 70% effective for the virus to push to the masses. The different trial runs are in play around the world, I just read where South Africa is a new testing grounds. This is on top of the trial runs in the USA.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1563 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
One third of the Houston covid patients in ICU are under 50.

I thought early on that as long as you were under 60 and not fat you were in the clear but that is not the case. Covid is a RNA virus packed in a protein shell. How it changes and mutates compares on a persons DNA.

The virus is growing here in America and I do not see how life can return to normal until there is a vaccine.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana338:
The conventions for 2021 are going to be slim pickings, I am not sure who will be able to make it both intentional or domestic at this time. The marginal operators will be out of business this year and if travel does not open soon, many more will be forced to fold up shop in 2021.

The US State Department still has us locked down for travel and many countries will not accept USA citizens for entry. Until your Cristal ball let everyone know when we can travel, no one is going any place soon. Dreams and reality are colliding these days.

While we continue to be wanting this to be over, well we need to get over it. This is around for a while and USA residents are being excluded from world travel, mainly due to our masses who do foolish/stupid things as the virus is continuing to spread. Just read where Houston hospitals are full and the big 3 states Florida, Texas and California are growing cases fast. The younger crowd, who seen to think this is a joke are the new leaders in cases.

As much as we all want to travel it does not appear that we will be able to do any international travel until fall of 2021. That is the predictions that I am reading now. That is really going to bugger up our May trip for 2021.

Travel is changing these days and we need to adapt and be ready for the new changes.

Now are medical experts are looking for a vaccine that is 60% to 70% effective for the virus to push to the masses. The different trial runs are in play around the world, I just read where South Africa is a new testing grounds. This is on top of the trial runs in the USA.

My office is in downtown Orlando. It is the time of the year where I am working very late quite often. I see absolute insanity on a daily basis.

I just got an alert from my home county which indicates that the total cases are less than 1/2 of 1% of the population.

On one hand, I think there is a massive overreaction. On the other hand, things could be a lot better with a minimal amount of disruption or inconvenience.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Welcome to panic and I would have thought , most of us hunters wouldn’t freak out over this , but we all play tough and then we fold when politicians call...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a year for things to go to semi-normal before my trip and I may have to re-route if the EU won't open to Americans. But should be able to get there through South Africa, Dubai or Turkey if necessary.

Posts: 9953 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the DSC show will be moved to February 11-14, I've known this was a possibility for several weeks and I think it is going to happen. A while back a survey was sent to outfitter organizations asking their preference between the dates already set and the dates mentioned above, the survey results indicated a majority of respondants preferred the February dates (78% in favor of Feb). I think the reasoning was to allow a few more weeks to pass hoping travel restrictions would be more relaxed (I think there will be restrictions as long as the US has a high number of covid cases, regardless) and possibly make travel a bit easier on overseas exhibitors due to increased flight availability. I believe there are benefits to this proposed change but I see some drawbacks as well...
The dates are immediately after SCI once again and that makes it tough for some to get from one show to the other.
The dates conflict with the Western Hunting and Conservation Expo in Salt Lake City, I know several outfitters that usually make all three "big" shows, not likely to happen this year.
With most outfitters having to roll hunts forward from the 2020 season, I fear they won't have much in the way of hunt/dates to sell for 2021 in the first place, and SCI will surely deplete the available hunts/dates even further.
I guess we will see how it goes(if in fact it does happen).

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I would look for a smaller more peripheral location for 2021.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am more than a little apprehensive about this change. Hopefully, it works for them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me too.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
That's really a bad date for several reasons:

(1) That Sunday is Valentines Day, that might be a problem with some of the females.

(2) It's also President Day weekend. That's a difficult travel period domestically. While AA has a lot of direct international flights into DFW, most are thru Philadelphia and then a connecting domestic flight, which could be a big problem.

(3) A lot of folks like to take Presidents Day or MLK weekend or both and head to the ski areas with families.

Posts: 749 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Revising my hotel reservations. But, I have an etiquette question. What is the proper face mask attire for a black tie affair? The standard blue clashes horribly with almost anything. Joking.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sort of not really.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that will be a bigger problem for the males if they are missing in action!! flame

quote:
Originally posted by Wesheltonj:
That's really a bad date for several reasons:

(1) That Sunday is Valentines Day, that might be a problem with some of the females.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a notice yesterday that Texas Trophy Hunters has cancelled all three of their August shows.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
I got a notice yesterday that Texas Trophy Hunters has cancelled all three of their August shows.

Not surprised. I think some are in the summer.

I hope things get good enough for DSC and SCI to hold their respective shows.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, I hope so, too. The DSC New Mexico chapter today cancelled their fundraising event in August. I’ve seen several chapter fundraisers cancelled, DSC, SCI, DU...most have online auctions still available. Maybe some of us can support them by bidding on their online auction. I know I am.

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
Larry, I hope so, too. The DSC New Mexico chapter today cancelled their fundraising event in August. I’ve seen several chapter fundraisers cancelled, DSC, SCI, DU...most have online auctions still available. Maybe some of us can support them by bidding on their online auction. I know I am.

I donated a hunt to be auctioned for the North Florida SCI chapter. Fundraiser was cancelled . It was auctioned on line.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
How do you find the chapter banquets on line auctions?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13105 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jdollar & anyone else that’s interested, the DSC New Mexico chapter items, as well as items from SCI chapters, DU, MDF, etc. are, or will be on http://onlinehuntingauctions.com/

Karl Evans

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear from Africa that DSC 2021 Convention is moved to February. Is that true??

Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2540 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
I hear from Africa that DSC 2021 Convention is moved to February. Is that true??

Cheers,

Look further up for a post from Karl Evans . It is true .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the dates. Deer and duck season run until the end of January here in Louisiana. A good bit of the rut occurs in my area then and the ducks have been pushed down from up North so it is hard for me to leave in January. So, I’m planning on attending the convention this year. Louisiana wives are used to having special occasions, like Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc interrupted by some kind of hunting season. So no problem with Valentine’s Day. Lol

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1925 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BEGNO:
I really like the dates. Deer and duck season run until the end of January here in Louisiana. A good bit of the rut occurs in my area then and the ducks have been pushed down from up North so it is hard for me to leave in January. So, I’m planning on attending the convention this year. Louisiana wives are used to having special occasions, like Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc interrupted by some kind of hunting season. So no problem with Valentine’s Day. Lol

Yes. February is better for hunters!

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a survey today from SCI about the convention. Based on the questions, a change may be coming .

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got a survey today from SCI about the convention. Based on the questions, a change may be coming .

Hahahaha!

Our whole lives have changed since this bloody Chink virus arrived!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very true my friend. Sadly very true.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I did respond, but I thought the questions were so presumptive and not considering the state of infections at the time of show, how can you answer.

Would I tolerate COVID protocol, masks, and one way asides? Maybe??....but thinking of shows out into April, May, June and July....that doesn't make sense for Africa exhibitors...?? And NO, I probably wouldn't attend either...

Quandry!! I hope there are vaccines and proprophylaxis meds by then.... the OXFORD vaccines are looking promising!! Just don't let Bill Gates and his One World Order get involved!!....I am OUT!!

Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2540 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
I think they are starting to get the picture, I got the survey as well. I am telling you, if they go ahead with it as planned it will be a disaster!!! Outfitters have a huge investment in going to these shows and I have talked to a few that are already questioning if it will be worth going as many of their clients have said they are not going to go unless the virus situation has changed greatly. There are still way too many variables that are complete unknowns at this point...airlines, country of origin requirements for quarantine, second wave, etc. etc.

Not a single past client of mine that I have talked to is going to go. Easily 80% of my former clients are in the high risk category and they are not taking any chances. Others are worried it would be a bust as they expect a bunch of outfitters/safari operators will not be able to make the show.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could someone please copy and paste the survey questions?

Posts: 179 | Location: USA | Registered: 28 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, no one has mentioned the biggest problem. Can the Africans get here? Today they couldn’t. February? Who knows.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by accipiter1:
Could someone please copy and paste the survey questions?

http://www.magnetmail.net/acti...AFARI&jobid=48790949

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
It seems like most calendars will be full from rebooking 2020 hunts, especially those that hunt on quotas or limited seasons.

Of course, I want DSC to happen. Not only is it a great time, but the proceeds go to so many great beneficiaries.

I don't know if quotas and seasons will be adjusted, but it is also a question of economics and offput.

Buzz had posted a video of the locals upset about the lack of meat and revenue. They didn't seem to understand the impact of the pandemic. I could say more about biting the hand that feeds you or something similar, but most understand.

This is a crazy time that affects all of us, even beyond wearing a mask to the store.

I am typing this with my passport next to me just waiting to be able to go to Argentina. I just don't know when I can book that flight.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The elephant in the room is will exhibitors lose their spaces if they show goes ahead and they don't show? I suppose they could pay and not show. But it seems a bit harsh.

I think the path of least resistance will be to cancel the show(s) and pretend 2020/1 did not happen.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2926 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote