Tools

2021- DSC & SCI Conventions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
If I was in my eighties I might worry.

I am bearing down on the eighties like a runaway freight train. No worries just yet. This virus will run its course like every other virus. The earth will continue to spin on its axis once a day, it will do an orbit of the sun once a year, and I will continue to do my thing hunting and fishing. I admit I don't do it quite as energetically as I did when I was in my forties, but I still love to do it. I refuse to let fear of some virus interfere with that.

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made the original post over 2 months ago. Much to my surprise, the shutdown has been far more intense over seas than I thought it would be. Many people in the US are acting like total idiots when it comes to this virus.

As of now, 3 of my 4 trips in 2020 are postponed. It sounds as if it will be difficult if not impossible to travel to or from southern Africa this year. A number of countries in other continents are similar.

I am beginning to seriously question whether it is feasible to conduct either show. There are the obvious international travel issues which are likely to preclude many from attending. If social distancing is enforced How many people would not be allowed to enter?

I am very concerned about the financial impact on DSC & SCI should these conventions not take place. Like them or not, we need them.

SCI just acquired TX Trophy Hunters. I imagine their shows are off for this year.

I also wonder if we will see a seismic shift in the hunting world? Will Americans be doing a lot more hunting in the US as a result?

It will be a very sad day around my house if the conventions do not take place. We both love them.

It is what it is.

Posts: 11944 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
As of today, I understand Germany, Italy and France have opened up for travel within the EU.

Reports of Australia banning their citizens from overseas travel for the next 3 months.

What might makes this even more complicated is the fact that different countries might have different rules.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
It will be exceedingly tough for international travel for outfitters to these shows if they go ahead. It is also very expensive and they are all taking a massive financial hit. There is also no doubt that people are not going to jump on the travel bandwagon immediately, even if things are "open". All you have to do is watch what is happening in the US right now to come to the conclusion it could be a long time until things are actually safe for traveling. This especially true since the demographics age wise for the majority of globe trotting hunters fall into the at risk category.

Then to top it off there is the impact this all having on business owners and the global financial mess that is stripping away vast amounts of disposable income from many who would be going on these hunts. Lots of past clients I know have said they can't afford to do anything for a few years until things return to normal, what ever that is.

Personally I think both DSC and SCI would be foolish to go ahead with the conventions this next winter. They will be a bust, unless they dramatically downsize them and cater more to in country attendance. My suggestion would be to get with the program on doing some things via video/Zoom or whatever the hell you want to call it, and go for an online auction with the hunts/guns/art, etc.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1808 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muttleysgone:
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
If I was in my eighties I might worry.

I am bearing down on the eighties like a runaway freight train. No worries just yet. This virus will run its course like every other virus. The earth will continue to spin on its axis once a day, it will do an orbit of the sun once a year, and I will continue to do my thing hunting and fishing. I admit I don't do it quite as energetically as I did when I was in my forties, but I still love to do it. I refuse to let fear of some virus interfere with that.

My father got Covid at age 81. He lost a ton of weight. Acted very confused, almost like he suddenly had Alzheimer's. Slept all day. Didn't answer the phone, return emails, or texts. We called for EMTs twice, the second time after his neighbor said he looked like an Auschwitz survivor. The CO Jefferson County Sherriff's office responded. A deputy named Mike Burgess spent two hours with my dad, trying to get him in to be tested but he refused. Deputy Burgess visited him several times in the next two weeks, even bringing him food from Chic-Fil-A. He was down to 118 lbs at that point, but almost overnight he was back to his old self.

Monday he called to tell me his Covid antibody test came back positive. At age 81, he survived without hospitalization. But this is a guy who ran 8.1 miles last Sep 4 to celebrate his 81st birthday and then three days later ran 6.2 miles in honor of what would have been my parents 62md wedding anniversary (she died Mar 10, 2019).

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not held a booth at the SCI conventions for 5 of years now. I figured 29 years was enough thank you.

Many, many times I would return from the convention exhibiting signs of an on coming cold or flu I no doubt picked up on the floor.

Going to any convention right now seems to be asking for it.

A number of times in the following years when the weather has been bad on the route to the convention I've been sitting in my shop with a warm cup of coffee watching the snow fall and listening to the travel warnings. I don't miss the blizzards in the high desert heading to Reno.

Vegas was usually fine and the weather there much warmer than Northern Utah.

I do miss seeing many older and prospective clients, but that circus is over for me and with the current Covid mess, no thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very valid point sir.

Posts: 11944 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of appears that Texas trophy hunters is still planning on having their shows......don't know,of that's a good idea or not.

Posts: 41766 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is interesting about the TX Trophy Hunters. Since SCI owns them, I wonder if there is a hidden message in that.

As it related to SCI & DSC, it would be damn interesting to know a few facts such as:

1- Tickets sold this year compared to the same date last year.

2- Booths reserved this year versus the same date last year.

3-Cancellation of booths this year versus the same date last year.

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
If these conventions do not go on as scheduled

it may very well permanently damage both organizations beyond repair

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clan_Colla:
If these conventions do not go on as scheduled

it may very well permanently damage both organizations beyond repair

Agreed.

I am wondering what the long term impact will be on the NRA.

one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I have been on the DSC waiting list for at least 10 years with nary a peep from them. This year they sent me a form asking me to update my details and confirm my interest. So I think the show will go ahead and a bunch of people will move off the waiting list onto the floor.

The local DFW gun show is going to open next weekend as well ...

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2927 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
Future is uncertain but most all of the hunting conservation organizations have taken a hit. I volunteer for Ducks Unlimited. We postponed our Convention from June to Sept in Orlando. We will loose tens of million in fundraising due to events being canceled all over the country.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Capt. Purvis:
Future is uncertain but most all of the hunting conservation organizations have taken a hit. I volunteer for Ducks Unlimited. We postponed our Convention from June to Sept in Orlando. We will loose tens of million in fundraising due to events being canceled all over the country.

Yup. I may be wrong but I think SCI gets 30% of the proceeds from the local chapters fundraisers. I think the actual events stopped I early to mid March. There were some online auctions but I can't imagine they raise the same money.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:

Yup. I may be wrong but I think SCI gets 30% of the proceeds from the local chapters fundraisers. I think the actual events stopped I early to mid March. There were some online auctions but I can't imagine they raise the same money.

In my experience, online auctions will never replace the live auction environment.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
I made the original post over 2 months ago. Much to my surprise, the shutdown has been far more intense over seas than I thought it would be...

...I also wonder if we will see a seismic shift in the hunting world? Will Americans be doing a lot more hunting in the US as a result?...

So, Larry, I guess I picked a pretty good year to finally draw a Desert Bighorn tag? jumping

Posts: 3851 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
quote:
I made the original post over 2 months ago. Much to my surprise, the shutdown has been far more intense over seas than I thought it would be...

...I also wonder if we will see a seismic shift in the hunting world? Will Americans be doing a lot more hunting in the US as a result?...

So, Larry, I guess I picked a pretty good year to finally draw a Desert Bighorn tag? jumping

I’d say!

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
quote:

And big congrats from me

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
People are going to be sorely disappointed if they think there is a going to be dsc or sci till there is a vaccine and it’s use is widespread.

https://covid19.healthdata.org...ed-states-of-america

This is the forecast from the base government policy model whose original numbers were 50k dead.

The financial markets don’t care - they are looking into 2021 and beyond and pretty confident in a vaccine. 200-300-400-500k dying is irrelevant to financial markets who in the aggregate have already priced the economic costs of the lives to be lost. The markets don’t price or even care about the families pain on losing dear ones.

But large crowded conventions with average age of consumers closer to 60 will not attract a lot of consumers even if they are allowed. Sci has less crowd but older attendees. Maybe in the age of covid dsc may not want $20 a day visitors.

Africa travel will open up in 2021 - outfitters better have repeat existing customers and good word of mouth to sell quota.

To date in central Florida the single worst places from a covid perspective I have been to are gun shops. No face mask, social distancing, everyone touching guns ect, poor ventilation is smaller stores. Costco let’s no one in without a face mask and it has massive warehouse stores.

My gut is my 2000 trips (papua and Brazil) that were moved to 2021 will likely be move to 2022. But I think there will be a window to hunt Africa late in 2021.

The risk of various activities

https://www.mlive.com/public-i...irus-risk-level.html

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

quote:
But I think there will be a window to hunt Africa late in 2021.

Sub Sahara may perhaps reopen late 2020 or 2021, who knows. I do not. But how many outfitters will be able at the end of this 'non season' to put up the significant amounts of cash to secure licenses and concessions for 2021/22. African governments are not going to grant any leeway or specials offers on fees and charges to any outfit.

"Dangerous Game" may take on a whole new meaning going forward and sadly I imagine that a lot of marginal outfits will fold and the top names - with access to cash - should continue. Time will tell.

But I don't see any big European conventions holding in 7 months time which is when Dortmund should be opening its doors.

I imagine that late summer and autumn will see a significant increase in local hunting trips - weekends away or a week off by car after 1 or 2 animals, maybe driving 500-750 kms into another European country. Father and son trips. Husband and wife. I do not see the masses heading for airports with bags and rifle packed for that international hunting trip!

C19 is and will continue to change the dynamics of hunting and international hunting travel and conventions for some years to come.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2258 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
There is a tremendous amount of denial amongst hunters and hunter related associations/clubs etc. The simple truth is that they are looking at a aged membership which is dropping in numbers. I have been warning about this for years and everyone studiously seems to ignore it, yet good friends that are high up in these organizations know it is a REAL problem that they are all wondering/monitoring how to deal with it.

My wife and I have been in the outfitting business and guiding employment for over 40 years. Anyone paying attention knew this was coming. We sold our last outfitting business and "retired" two years ago and are actually free of the contractual stuff with selling a year ago. So sort of retired for a year.

None of us knew the Covid-19 crap was coming, but some of us (those paying attention) knew the drop in clients was coming due to the client base getting older and older and having to eventually stop. This is due to the fact that the vast majority of international trophy hunters are over 60. They are boomers.

In our last decade as outfitters we can state that the majority of our clients were over 65. My wife and I are in our early 60's and most of our clients have been older than us. I just talked to some other outfitter friends in BC last night that are offering big game hunts for moose, caribou, sheep goat, elk etc and they all said that most of the clients are "boomers", a few younger, but most of the younger clients are accompanying Dad or Grandpa who are footing the bill for the hunt.

Simple fact is that once the "boomers" have gone to the too old stage to hunt due to health issues or financial issues, this crash in clients was coming anyways. My wife and I knew this and have been watching it unfold for years.

Now factor in the latest economic crash and the Covid-19. I have spoken to many of my past clients, many who have become life long friends over the years, and they have all said to the man that they will be sucking back and reloading on the international hunts.

Many have lost disposable income due to the economic mess. Lots still had businesses rolling that they retired from but controlled and had other running....and those businesses either have been shut down or are operating at half throttle at best. They have all see their "play" money for big game hunts in Africa or North America glamour game or elsewhere evaporate.

They have all said that they will be watching the hazards of flying and traveling and for the most part do not plan on traveling in global hunts for a couple of years until they see how it all pans out. Most are in the older age class that can be seriously affected by covid. Even if money is not a problem they are all saying they will be watching the problems with Covid-19 internationally and avoiding any dangerous situations with it.

Going to conventions is not high on their priority lists now. The orgs need to really pay close attention to where things are heading to avoid big financial losses if the go the wrong way with conventions and what is being offered.

Most orgs have cancelled all conventions and chapter meetings/conventions. Some are going to online auctions as it is the only viable option. Is it ideal? No. Since all chapters have cancelled their annual conventions to raise funds and the main body of the organization needs funds to continue...well there has to be some creative work done going forward to keep everything going.

Bottom line though is all of us need to get a grip on things and where it is all heading. There are NOT a pile of young people coming in behind us and the current global issues are seriously affecting our hunting organizations going forward. The problems were coming anyways, but the Covid-19 and economic meltdown have dramatically accelerated the problems.

Wake up people. If you think that it will eventually go back to the way it was you are dreaming. The orgs have known for some time where things are going and now we have had two serious curve balls thrown our way that are compounding the problems.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1808 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You see it on the hunting side as well. The number of guys willing to pay $80,000 - $100,000 for a hunt are becoming a rarity. More and more we are seeing younger hunters who want a family hunting/vacation trip or the new guy who wants everything on one trip. Big ticket hunts are drying up for the majority of operators and that means profitability is also drying up. Dangerous game is where the money is, everything else just keeps the lights on.

Now with the pandemic, its a roll of the dice to see who can survive long enough for the business to return. In regards to when that will be, break out your crystal ball.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You are accurate Larry - each SCI chapter submits to National 30% of their largest annual fundraiser or $5000.00, whichever is larger. There are some exemptions for new startup chapters, etc.. There are grumblings about submitting the 5k minimum if there was no fundraiser in 2020 - I view it as a franchise fee and our chapter will submit our 5k from our reserves.. We will hopefully still fund our primary annual local projects - Ohio DNR, Wounded Warrior, etc.. but I see lean years ahead :-( The future is very uncertain for us hunters...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Skyline and Opus1: tu2 tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
There is a tremendous amount of denial amongst hunters and hunter related associations/clubs etc. The simple truth is that they are looking at a aged membership which is dropping in numbers. I have been warning about this for years and everyone studiously seems to ignore it, yet good friends that are high up in these organizations know it is a REAL problem that they are all wondering/monitoring how to deal with it.

My wife and I have been in the outfitting business and guiding employment for over 40 years. Anyone paying attention knew this was coming. We sold our last outfitting business and "retired" two years ago and are actually free of the contractual stuff with selling a year ago. So sort of retired for a year.

None of us knew the Covid-19 crap was coming, but some of us (those paying attention) knew the drop in clients was coming due to the client base getting older and older and having to eventually stop. This is due to the fact that the vast majority of international trophy hunters are over 60. They are boomers.

In our last decade as outfitters we can state that the majority of our clients were over 65. My wife and I are in our early 60's and most of our clients have been older than us. I just talked to some other outfitter friends in BC last night that are offering big game hunts for moose, caribou, sheep goat, elk etc and they all said that most of the clients are "boomers", a few younger, but most of the younger clients are accompanying Dad or Grandpa who are footing the bill for the hunt.

Simple fact is that once the "boomers" have gone to the too old stage to hunt due to health issues or financial issues, this crash in clients was coming anyways. My wife and I knew this and have been watching it unfold for years.

Now factor in the latest economic crash and the Covid-19. I have spoken to many of my past clients, many who have become life long friends over the years, and they have all said to the man that they will be sucking back and reloading on the international hunts.

Many have lost disposable income due to the economic mess. Lots still had businesses rolling that they retired from but controlled and had other running....and those businesses either have been shut down or are operating at half throttle at best. They have all see their "play" money for big game hunts in Africa or North America glamour game or elsewhere evaporate.

They have all said that they will be watching the hazards of flying and traveling and for the most part do not plan on traveling in global hunts for a couple of years until they see how it all pans out. Most are in the older age class that can be seriously affected by covid. Even if money is not a problem they are all saying they will be watching the problems with Covid-19 internationally and avoiding any dangerous situations with it.

Going to conventions is not high on their priority lists now. The orgs need to really pay close attention to where things are heading to avoid big financial losses if the go the wrong way with conventions and what is being offered.

Most orgs have cancelled all conventions and chapter meetings/conventions. Some are going to online auctions as it is the only viable option. Is it ideal? No. Since all chapters have cancelled their annual conventions to raise funds and the main body of the organization needs funds to continue...well there has to be some creative work done going forward to keep everything going.

Bottom line though is all of us need to get a grip on things and where it is all heading. There are NOT a pile of young people coming in behind us and the current global issues are seriously affecting our hunting organizations going forward. The problems were coming anyways, but the Covid-19 and economic meltdown have dramatically accelerated the problems.

Wake up people. If you think that it will eventually go back to the way it was you are dreaming. The orgs have known for some time where things are going and now we have had two serious curve balls thrown our way that are compounding the problems.

I am mostly in agreement with you. I go on numerous hunts. I am a boomer. My wife goes.

What I am lacking is the physical ability to hammer out a 10 day sheep hunt or moose or goat. Further, when I look at the prices for single species hunt in North America, I scratch my head when I can go to Africa or Europe or New Zealand or even Iceland/Greenland for a multi specie hunt, stay in excellent accommodations and eat great food. I am not physically beat up after those hunts. So, my dollars will go there going there.

Also, the rapid increase in price for NA hunting has been far outpacing what I see elsewhere. My sons, who are doing well, in their 30’s, and love to “go” prefer Africa because of the game seen and the quality of the PH’s and the “Africa” experience.

I have had a great career in NA, I like to hunt here, but I see the traditional hunts of 10-14 days on horses drifting away. I have opted for shorted ranch hunts for elk, deer, aoudad, pronghorns in NA. I have one more hunt set for Alaska for brown bear. I am 0 for 3 on brown bears and this will be my last try. Honestly, I should just forget it and go elsewhere, but I want to try one last and final time. I am not 0 for 3 on anything in Africa.

So, I get what you are saying, but changes are coming and I suggest adaptation where possible. Charging increasingly higher rates for less hunters is definitely not the answer. That kills off the clients as we have a lot of options.

As to conventions - I go to Dallas just to confirm details on planned trips. I don’t need to go. Also, I am a bit skeptical of all “the conservation good things” each group claims they are doing. I read it all and have no doubt the words are true but the overall impact is light. What helps are hunting dollars that go to the locals. Programs and advertising and TV shows are not much help. Africa needs this badly. North America does not. Laws in NA are adversely impacting hunters in many ways. That applies to every species. Europe has an excellent concept and it works. NA needs to go that direction.
Hunting in NA should not be considered a “right”, it is a privilege that should be earned by demonstrated skills and commitment. North Americans view game far differently than Europeans or Africans. We are badly misguided in that perception. We are our own worst enemy and are killing off our game and sport.

Anyway, long comment, but the problem is in front of us and we are part of it. Solutions are out there and will be forced on us if we do not get our story sorted out.

Posts: 10135 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hunting in NA should not be considered a “right”, it is a privilege that should be earned by demonstrated skills and commitment.

dogcat: Please explain more fully. With all due respect, I'm not of the mindset that someone else should determine if I have the 'demonstrated skills and commitment', according to their subjective standards, to be able to hunt. Query: Would that mean that at some age you could be determined by someone else to not be able to hunt because of your age or ability to walk? I've known hunters in their 80s and 90s and the freedom to hunt and be free of someone else's determination is what makes U.S. hunting and the U.S. great. Why would anyone want that? Most, if not all of us have already passed a hunter safety course (mandatory in most if not all states) in order to obtain a hunting license. Why would any hunter want to add another government instituted hurdle? Just asking. And, as far as I know, we have game laws, quotas that are set by state game and in some cases federal agencies, so how are we mismanaging hunting? Moreover, all states publish their game regulations and laws and as a hunter you are expected to read them and know and understand them when going afield. Last of all, for certain species in some states, you are required to take a mandatory course to hunt that species (i.e. Desert Bighorn Sheep). I'm afraid that more regulation through a hurdle of further "demonstrated skills and commitment" would cut our hunter numbers drastically.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
quote:
Hunting in NA should not be considered a “right”, it is a privilege that should be earned by demonstrated skills and commitment.

dogcat: Please explain more fully. With all due respect, I'm not of the mindset that someone else should determine if I have the 'demonstrated skills and commitment', according to their subjective standards, to be able to hunt. Query: Would that mean that at some age you could be determined by someone else to not be able to hunt because of your age or ability to walk? I've known hunters in their 80s and 90s and the freedom to hunt and be free of someone else's determination is what makes U.S. hunting and the U.S. great. Why would anyone want that? Most, if not all of us have already passed a hunter safety course (mandatory in most if not all states) in order to obtain a hunting license. Why would any hunter want to add another government instituted hurdle? Just asking. And, as far as I know, we have game laws, quotas that are set by state game and in some cases federal agencies, so how are we mismanaging hunting? Moreover, all states publish their game regulations and laws and as a hunter you are expected to read them and know and understand them when going afield. Last of all, for certain species in some states, you are required to take a mandatory course to hunt that species (i.e. Desert Bighorn Sheep). I'm afraid that more regulation through a hurdle of further "demonstrated skills and commitment" would cut our hunter numbers drastically.

Use,
I have been all over the place on this issue over the years. I have written essays and articles on both sides of the issue of "is hunting a right or privilege?" and how best to regulate or control who and what goes into the field in pursuit of game.

Here are my bias's and premises before I start -

1. No one in the US and most of Canada are truly subsistence hunters. There is a huge social safety net to provide food and shelter to all who want it.
2. North America is not vulnerable to a land attack from an enemy. Any enemy cannot get here and land an army where massive civilian response in terms of a shooting war is needed.
3. Our government is our best protector and worst enemy. Being "armed" in the USA is a throwback to the Civil War when an internal revolt took place. We caused it and we, collectively executed it. However, times have changed and we really will not likely see a Bosnia type civil war totally contained in our country.

So, with that said, why do we, the USA, have such a fixation on guns, defence, etc??? Our hunting is solely for pleasure. So, if that is the case, why do we demand it be a "right" rather than a "privilege"? I realize some states have giving hunting "rights status" but is it really?

Assuming "privilege", how then do we manage it? There are rules for Air BNB's, for getting a driver's license, for building a house, etc. What is the standard for a person to be able to safely hunt using a weapon?

State run Hunter Safety courses vary greatly. I have taken one in Colorado, New Mexico and Oklahoma. The one in NM was very good, lasted 2 days, required passing a written exam and a very weak firearm proficiency test. OK and CO were a one day event taught by an NRA trainer. Good stuff but no test and no proof of learning anything. In other words, it was a check the box drill, nothing more.

In parts of Europe, a hunter must pass a written, oral and proficiency test that lasts several days. The proficiency test is extensive and involves shooting the weapon you will use in the field at stationary and moving targets. You are graded pass/fail. I think this would help in the US greatly.

The problem is not declining numbers of hunters, but hunters like me that refuse to go on public hunt areas due to the untrained and unskilled "public hunters" that see hunting on public land as a "right" and not the priviledge it is. All Americans technically own the public land - this is vastly different than anywhere in the world except Canada. What the government owns, the government controls. Look at Africa. Hunting on a concession has strict controls on access, quota and who is there. The government also makes money from it. In the US, we get a free pass on public land to do as we please as long as we have a game tag or camping permit.

I think we need to move more toward the European system of demonstrated proficiency and strictly controlled access to land for hunting purposes. The Europeans have a deeper sense of stewardship that we do in the US. A game keeper on a large tract of land will know the animals there, the numbers, where they are and what needs to be done to maintain the proper "head count". In the US and Canada, public land is loosely manageg by ariel game counts that do not really reflect game impact or the proper count. Being a government entity, they have no real motive to "get it right". In Europe and Africa, there is strong financial motive to "get it right" or the resource disappears.

As to numbers of hunters, our hunting licenses and process is far too cheap. In Colorado, I show up and buy a $30 game license then a deer tag for another $30. Out of staters are charged higher fees. Further, for "special tags", you enter the drawing system or pref point system which is not balanced and not truly reasonable other than to raise money.

How to fix? Raise the standards to be able to hunt. Make it difficult and expensive. Same for tags and licenses. Simplify the process and raise the price. We only truly value what we have to pay a lot for. Same goes for hunting.

This is a short version of what I think will work and transform our gun toting society into a more appreciative and civil place where hunting is seen as an earned privilege and tool to help wildlife.

I know this is unpopular, but we are headed toward something like this.

Posts: 10135 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
quote:
quote:

Use,
I have been all over the place on this issue over the years. I have written essays and articles on both sides of the issue of "is hunting a right or privilege?" and how best to regulate or control who and what goes into the field in pursuit of game.

Here are my bias's and premises before I start -

1. No one in the US and most of Canada are truly subsistence hunters. There is a huge social safety net to provide food and shelter to all who want it.
2. North America is not vulnerable to a land attack from an enemy. Any enemy cannot get here and land an army where massive civilian response in terms of a shooting war is needed.
3. Our government is our best protector and worst enemy. Being "armed" in the USA is a throwback to the Civil War when an internal revolt took place. We caused it and we, collectively executed it. However, times have changed and we really will not likely see a Bosnia type civil war totally contained in our country.

So, with that said, why do we, the USA, have such a fixation on guns, defence, etc??? Our hunting is solely for pleasure. So, if that is the case, why do we demand it be a "right" rather than a "privilege"? I realize some states have giving hunting "rights status" but is it really?

Assuming "privilege", how then do we manage it? There are rules for Air BNB's, for getting a driver's license, for building a house, etc. What is the standard for a person to be able to safely hunt using a weapon?

State run Hunter Safety courses vary greatly. I have taken one in Colorado, New Mexico and Oklahoma. The one in NM was very good, lasted 2 days, required passing a written exam and a very weak firearm proficiency test. OK and CO were a one day event taught by an NRA trainer. Good stuff but no test and no proof of learning anything. In other words, it was a check the box drill, nothing more.

In parts of Europe, a hunter must pass a written, oral and proficiency test that lasts several days. The proficiency test is extensive and involves shooting the weapon you will use in the field at stationary and moving targets. You are graded pass/fail. I think this would help in the US greatly.

The problem is not declining numbers of hunters, but hunters like me that refuse to go on public hunt areas due to the untrained and unskilled "public hunters" that see hunting on public land as a "right" and not the priviledge it is. All Americans technically own the public land - this is vastly different than anywhere in the world except Canada. What the government owns, the government controls. Look at Africa. Hunting on a concession has strict controls on access, quota and who is there. The government also makes money from it. In the US, we get a free pass on public land to do as we please as long as we have a game tag or camping permit.

I think we need to move more toward the European system of demonstrated proficiency and strictly controlled access to land for hunting purposes. The Europeans have a deeper sense of stewardship that we do in the US. A game keeper on a large tract of land will know the animals there, the numbers, where they are and what needs to be done to maintain the proper "head count". In the US and Canada, public land is loosely manageg by ariel game counts that do not really reflect game impact or the proper count. Being a government entity, they have no real motive to "get it right". In Europe and Africa, there is strong financial motive to "get it right" or the resource disappears.

As to numbers of hunters, our hunting licenses and process is far too cheap. In Colorado, I show up and buy a $30 game license then a deer tag for another $30. Out of staters are charged higher fees. Further, for "special tags", you enter the drawing system or pref point system which is not balanced and not truly reasonable other than to raise money.

How to fix? Raise the standards to be able to hunt. Make it difficult and expensive. Same for tags and licenses. Simplify the process and raise the price. We only truly value what we have to pay a lot for. Same goes for hunting.

This is a short version of what I think will work and transform our gun toting society into a more appreciative and civil place where hunting is seen as an earned privilege and tool to help wildlife.

I know this is unpopular, but we are headed toward something like this.

I would not step on public land in Florida to hunt if someone paid me.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry dogcat, but I still respectfully disagree with your proposals. I believe in your response that you are mixing three things, two of which are rights, with one privilege (hunting license), and claiming that they are all privileges and should therefore somehow be regulated as such, based upon alien countries that do not have those same rights. Those rights are: 1)The 2nd Amendment-which we all know is not about hunting, but an inalienable right about defending your liberties with hunting as a secondary position to that right; and, 2) The right to enter and trespass on Federal Land(which belongs to all U.S. citizens) for hunting, fishing, camping, sport shooting, etc., as long as it is not closed for specific reasons and pursuant to any state and/or federal regulations regarding the same. The only true privilege out of the three is the privilege to hunt, which requires a licensing procedure to do so, and includes mandatory hunter safety. Our 'gun toting society' is based upon the inalienable right to protect your life from any enemies of the same, and that right also includes protecting us from our government that you say is "our best protector and worst enemy". This is even more evident by the recent events occurring in the United States. Being armed in the USA is not "a throwback to the Civil War". It's actually a throwback to the American Revolution and the founding of this Country through the Declaration of Independence, the United States Constitution and its subsequent Bill of Rights, and the ability to protect yourselves from your own despotic government. You might well disagree, and that's your right to do so, and I respect that. Going on, your proposal is to make hunting in the U.S. follow the European method (Countries where it's all private land, with private animals and game keepers, with no second amendment in said European Countries and where owning any firearm is definitely a privilege under their governing laws and not a right), and to make it, as you say "difficult and expensive", "the same for tags and licenses" and "raise the price". Do you really understand what that would do to the vast majority of hunting in the U.S.? Indeed maybe you do. But, under your European scenario, there will only be hunting among the privileged few and rich. The vast majority of hunting in the U.S. today is not done by the rich and famous. Most hunting today is done by regular blue collar men and women, be it with any type of firearm or weapon. Think about those who attend the DSC Convention or the NRA Convention. I also understand non-resident fees for hunting, as I have, in the past, hunted many areas in the U.S. as a non-resident(including Colorado) and paid their high fees for the privilege to do so. I currently live, and have lived in two specific states, where the vast majority of the land is Federal public lands and open to me or you or anyone else for a number of recreational pursuits.

In closing, here's a quote from the U.S. Department of the Interior's own website:

"How does hunting help with wildlife management?
Aldo Leopold, a hunter and conservationist, wrote the book on modern-day wildlife management. The highly successful North American Wildlife Conservation Model is founded on our nation’s great hunting and fishing heritage. Some of the main tenets of wildlife stewardship include using science to develop wildlife policy, only killing wildlife for legitimate purposes such as food, and upholding the ideal of hunting as inexpensive and accessible to all -- preventing the U.S. from becoming like England where only a privileged class had the opportunity to hunt."

With all of this said, I am glad, my friend, that you and I can continue to agree to disagree through civil discourse.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Use Enough Gun
Thank you,
the lack of knowledge of rights and history has become a plague upon our Constitutional Republic.

The right to self defense as well as the right to survive and feed one's self and family are inherent rights not granted by government, merely reaffirmed (or not in some locales) by government

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Public hunting in a good unit can be awesome.

Most public land hunting sucks.

Private land can also be awesome or suck.

The concept of the North American model is great, but it is a concept and not a real thing. Especially in states that sell tags to the highest bidder (I don't have a problem with that) or through a landowner (I am also fine with that).

I question whether or not the validity of the North American model based on the sale to the highest bidder of hunting rights via auctions and state/provincial govenor tags and private land tags. 100% anti-everything the North American model is about.

Here in New Mexico there are no points programs, there are a few raffle and auction permits but not like there are in other states.

But we have tons of land owner tags of varying quality and prices. I personally don't have a problem with it for my own consumption through I know it is against the North American model and hurts hunter recruitment.

I joined SCI and DSC for the first time in a long time this year.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always wondered if I could pass a test for a license akin to achieving a German hunting license.

I am proud of our hunting tradition in USA, but I have massive respect for the demonstrated proficiency our Euro brothers have to demonstrate. The mere fact one has to be a student or has to put effort into hunting just to get to go makes one more appreciative.

I am not a horseman. Others here would probably make fun of how I got a deer, but my deer are the cleanest dressed.

I cannot cape, I can get the skin off to quarter out an elk. I taught myself when I had one on the ground. Skinned out and down each side in two pieces.

I think all hunting especially Africa is reaching a point where the demand does not meet the price point. Prices which equates availability are going to have to come down to see a drastic increase in participation.

However, hunting is a strange market. When numbers drop the market increases prices to apmale up for the loss of customer base. Most industries adjust prices down when demand drops.

Yeah, I am laminating a little bit. We read about the destruction and obpber popupulation of feral pugs, but some outfitters sure want to charge for them.

Posts: 10800 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sorry dogcat, but I still respectfully disagree with your proposals. I believe in your response that you are mixing three things, two of which are rights, with one privilege (hunting license), and claiming that they are all privileges and should therefore somehow be regulated as such, based upon alien countries that do not have those same rights. Those rights are: 1)The 2nd Amendment-which we all know is not about hunting, but an inalienable right about defending your liberties with hunting as a secondary position to that right; and, 2) The right to enter and trespass on Federal Land(which belongs to all U.S. citizens) for hunting, fishing, camping, sport shooting, etc., as long as it is not closed for specific reasons and pursuant to any state and/or federal regulations regarding the same. The only true privilege out of the three is the privilege to hunt, which requires a licensing procedure to do so, and includes mandatory hunter safety. Our 'gun toting society' is based upon the inalienable right to protect your life from any enemies of the same, and that right also includes protecting us from our government that you say is "our best protector and worst enemy". This is even more evident by the recent events occurring in the United States. Being armed in the USA is not "a throwback to the Civil War". It's actually a throwback to the American Revolution and the founding of this Country through the Declaration of Independence, the United States Constitution and its subsequent Bill of Rights, and the ability to protect yourselves from your own despotic government. You might well disagree, and that's your right to do so, and I respect that. Going on, your proposal is to make hunting in the U.S. follow the European method (Countries where it's all private land, with private animals and game keepers, with no second amendment in said European Countries and where owning any firearm is definitely a privilege under their governing laws and not a right), and to make it, as you say "difficult and expensive", "the same for tags and licenses" and "raise the price". Do you really understand what that would do to the vast majority of hunting in the U.S.? Indeed maybe you do. But, under your European scenario, there will only be hunting among the privileged few and rich. The vast majority of hunting in the U.S. today is not done by the rich and famous. Most hunting today is done by regular blue collar men and women, be it with any type of firearm or weapon. Think about those who attend the DSC Convention or the NRA Convention. I also understand non-resident fees for hunting, as I have, in the past, hunted many areas in the U.S. as a non-resident(including Colorado) and paid their high fees for the privilege to do so. I currently live, and have lived in two specific states, where the vast majority of the land is Federal public lands and open to me or you or anyone else for a number of recreational pursuits.

In closing, here's a quote from the U.S. Department of the Interior's own website:

"How does hunting help with wildlife management?
Aldo Leopold, a hunter and conservationist, wrote the book on modern-day wildlife management. The highly successful North American Wildlife Conservation Model is founded on our nation’s great hunting and fishing heritage. Some of the main tenets of wildlife stewardship include using science to develop wildlife policy, only killing wildlife for legitimate purposes such as food, and upholding the ideal of hunting as inexpensive and accessible to all -- preventing the U.S. from becoming like England where only a privileged class had the opportunity to hunt."

With all of this said, I am glad, my friend, that you and I can continue to agree to disagree through civil discourse.

Very well put. Thank you for taking the time.

Posts: 41766 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by LHeym500:
I always wondered if I could pass a test for a license akin to achieving a German hunting license.

I am proud of our hunting tradition in USA, but I have massive respect for the demonstrated proficiency our Euro brothers have to demonstrate. The mere fact one has to be a student or out effort into hunting just to get to go makes one more appreciative.

I am not a horseman. Others here would probably make fun of how I got a deer, but my deer are the cleanest dressed.

I cannot cape, I can get the skin off to quarter out an elk. I taught myself when I had one on the grounds. Skinned out and down each side in two pieces.

I think all hunting especially Africa is reaching a point where the demand does not meat the price point. Prices which equates availability are going to have to come down to see a drastic increase in participation.

However, hunting is a strange market. When numbers drop the market increases prices to apmale up for the loss of customer base. Most industries adjust prices down when demand drops.

Yeah, I am laminating a little bit. We read about the destruction and obpber popupulation of feral pugs, but some outfitters sure want to charge for them.[/QUOTE

I have a German Auslander hunting license, I took the American hunting course on a military base. We went to school for 4 or 5 months twice a week. Was a great experience, but a lot of people have a chip on their shoulder when they take it as many people have hunting experience far beyond what the course explains.

The test is far from easy, but we had about 30 people in our class and all but 1 or 2 passed.

I also took and passed the German trapping course, and the test was in German though the class was in English, this was taught by our local State Forest Hunting administration.

The Germans take a longer class that includes much more topics like falconry, reloading, trapping and other classes. Then to be qualified in those subjects they have to take another short course through their state forest group.

It was hard, but I am thinking someone that studied to pass a legal bar exam could probably make it work. The two people that failed were both trades people that did not have good study skills. I think they passed the retest, but not sure. Not that they were stupid, they just weren't good test takers.

Foreign hunting outside of Canada will be closed for a while. Conventions as well.

I am fairly sure that I am currently asymptomatic for covid right now. My insurance company told me they wouldn't give me a test as no one I work with has the virus. I have 3 over 60 year olds in my office. I would really like to get the test. I am having nerve pain in my back and hands and shoulders and some sinus movement I don't normally have. Been going on for a week. We will see what another week brings.

Either way I am hoping that it works out.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finally, a civil conversation with well thought out ideas. That is how we moved forward. Thanks for no name calling.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2 Love ya brother! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BBW: Get yourself checked out. It may take your PCP doing a scale of testing or treatment bf he can get your insurance to do a Ovid Test.

It is really a scam. The insurance companies make docs test great the most likely condition, most conservative to save money. EpWhen just doing to right test first would save money across the spectrum.

I may not have articulated that well. Basically,, docs have to srart low/most likely and work up.

I fight with Insurance companies all the time over MRIs. They do not care about the MRI. They care about the MRI findings requiring a surgery.

I talked to a agent friend this week. He is hopeful that next year he can sell and deliver hunts. I have a hunt booked with him. He refused the next payment bc life is too unpredictable that he can deliver on his end. Good man.

I withhold his name bc this was a conversation between us, and I do not know if he wants named.

Posts: 10800 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have enjoyed the civil and good conversations on this. Thank you gentlemen. America looks at guns different than the older countries. Most of them were fought for, by and against with edged weapons. When Columbus landed he had guns so we were never an edge weapon country but was basically founded and or altered with guns in hand. That does make a difference.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My SCI chapter had to cancel our banquet, 2 weeks before it was scheduled. We sent a letter to everyone who had paid to attend offering a refund but asking them to consider donating part or all of the money to the chapter. We received enough donations that we can send SCI our 5K.

Our question now is what to plan for next year’s banquet. Will people attend, Will they spend money? Will they spend money on an overseas trip?

Posts: 2392 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Once again, the Kay Bailey Hutchinson Convention Center, host site of DSC, is potentially going to be a makeshift hospital.

I’m sure all these contracts have force majeure clauses with the host sites, but I don’t know about the exhibitors. For example, my guys paid their booth registration fees at the show in January.

I sure hope it happens, but with everything changing like the wind on the stalk of a monster animal, the logistics might make it impossible. What will airfare be like? Will it even be open?

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote