THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Change in SCI Convention fee structure?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Change in SCI Convention fee structure?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My wife just registered us for next year. We are going for the entire show. She informed me that there was no charge for her registration with my four day registration.

I am not sure if this is an error or a change in policy.

Posts: 11954 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
That is new for this year Larry - and a great idea...

Everyone comments on the ticket costs and while I would like to see them lowered myself to help bring in more first timers. I don't feel they are all that out of line considering the quality of the show. Granted, DSC is a good bit cheaper though I could not find a ticket price online for the 2020 show, and that is their prerogative but I don't think most of the comments are truly about the cost - its SCI haters and bashers that refuse to think that maybe things can be improved or that SCI ever does any good ....

A one day pass can be bought for as low as $105.00 to attend a quality event. The Great Eastern show in Harrisburg is $12.00 a day to be herded thru connecting barns like cats, tripping over all the T-shirt and junk dealers, there are no daily auctions and it is NOT a fundraiser. To me the added cost is worth it. I do not consider the membership fee as applicable because it is a MEMBERS ONLY show..

Every year I pay $80.00 each for DU banquet tickets for a single evening event and I am a life member so the membership part is a donation because, like SCI and DSC - it is a fundraiser...

Maybe they will lower is across the board in the future..

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent idea.

Posts: 11954 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Instead of making membership mandatory for the show, they can offer it at a discount, to encourage more people top both attend and become members.

So non members can still attend the show, and those who wish to become members can do so at a discout.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66923 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Instead of making membership mandatory for the show, they can offer it at a discount, to encourage more people top both attend and become members.

So non members can still attend the show, and those who wish to become members can do so at a discout.

Something I would love to see!!! and maybe, just maybe we may see that happen eventually.. Discounted and special promo Membership drives have been used many times over the years. Actually the confirmed problem is not signing up new members - it is retaining them. Retention has been the biggest challenge for SCI for many years - for many, many reasons..

Just a simple auto-renewal would be a HUGE advantage but as much as we beg and push, it still doesn't seem to happen.. It took years just to get a basic online membership sign up and renewal and it still is klunky at best..

I would be interested to see what percentage just forget or don't bother to take the time to renew but would allow auto-renewal just out of simplicity and a desire to contribute..

I see incremental improvement but I hope Laird can fast-track the more crucial issues.

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Powell:
quote:

Something I would love to see!!! and maybe, just maybe we may see that happen eventually.. Discounted and special promo Membership drives have been used many times over the years. Actually the confirmed problem is not signing up new members - it is retaining them. Retention has been the biggest challenge for SCI for many years - for many, many reasons..

Just a simple auto-renewal would be a HUGE advantage but as much as we beg and push, it still doesn't seem to happen.. It took years just to get a basic online membership sign up and renewal and it still is klunky at best..

I would be interested to see what percentage just forget or don't bother to take the time to renew but would allow auto-renewal just out of simplicity and a desire to contribute..

I see incremental improvement but I hope Laird can fast-track the more crucial issues.

May be SCI should start listening to its members, and the general hunting public.

In any sort of business, your most important customer is the repeat customer.

Posts: 66923 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
Want to "fast track" stuff, thin your board down to about 15 or less.

Posts: 752 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
God forbid SCI should enter the 21st century.....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
Just trying to be optimistic :-)

One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Powell:
That is new for this year Larry - and a great idea...

Everyone comments on the ticket costs and while I would like to see them lowered myself to help bring in more first timers. I don't feel they are all that out of line considering the quality of the show. Granted, DSC is a good bit cheaper though I could not find a ticket price online for the 2020 show, and that is their prerogative but I don't think most of the comments are truly about the cost - its SCI haters and bashers that refuse to think that maybe things can be improved or that SCI ever does any good ....

A one day pass can be bought for as low as $105.00 to attend a quality event. The Great Eastern show in Harrisburg is $12.00 a day to be herded thru connecting barns like cats, tripping over all the T-shirt and junk dealers, there are no daily auctions and it is NOT a fundraiser. To me the added cost is worth it. I do not consider the membership fee as applicable because it is a MEMBERS ONLY show..

There is a huge difference between the shows and the target audience. I don’t know if there are any exclusions for certain venders, companies or organization, but SCI has never had a booth in Harrisburg (as long as I’ve been attending). SCI doesn’t target the every day average hunter. It carries a stigma that they only cater to the rich and elite. Prime example is the awards. If you want to increase exposure, they need to attend shows like Harrisburg.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
I agree - exposure at the Outdoors shows could reap huge benefits! It would be great if SCI National could arrange the booths and solicit members as volunteers to man them.

I know that a PA Chapter (Lehigh Valley Chapter ??) has in the past had a booth at the Harrisburg show and my chapter has setup a booth at smaller outdoors shows here in Ohio as do many chapters around the US and Europe.

Part of the "having a booth" challenge is often the shows require full booth price which can be significant. Most of our chapter revenue goes to local programs so we must weigh the benefit v.s the reward, not to mention have volunteers to staff the booth..

You are right - there is a significant gap between the target audiences today.

The question I would ask is: What can be done to change that?

We pull 300+ attendees every year to our chapter banquet (and we are a small chapter) and alot of money gets spent that night and our attendees are not affluent. We sign up a decent number of new members each year at the event but struggle to retain them as members in future years.

I have spoken with many that still view SCI as the "Rich Man Elephant Hunting club" - a stigma that must be erased if SCI is to grow.

SCI's legal advocacy work defending hunting in the courts is huge - that alone is justification to be a member in my opinion.

Like many of you, I am not a fan of or participate in the Trophy Records book but I don't let that keep me from supporting all the aspects I do agree with...

I have been a Life member for almost 20yrs myself and I admit that if I was not a life member, there have been times when my frustration grew to the point where I would possibly have not have renewed so get where people are coming from.

The recent changes and communications coming out have me optimistic that the organization can change course to a brighter future - time will tell...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heading for SCI convention after a 2 year absence due to quadricep injury. Plus like going to Reno for the show. The new situation where a Life Member can take another Member at no additional cost is really a great perk. Figured I should go to Reno before they start moving it all over the Country. Be nice to meet up with old friends after the 2 year lapse.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Why not just make daily admission fee reasonable and membership not mandatory? Oh, that’s right- DSC already does that! In a place that is easier to get to and doesn’t jump around.....

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Right?! tu2

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I just received the latest “Camp Talk” (the monthly DSC newsletter) and admission is cheaper the more days you attend, starting at $25-35 for one day. I think a four day pass is in the ballpark of $100 +/-. I’d look it up, but already read it all and tossed it.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"The Great Eastern show in Harrisburg... is $12.00 a day... there are no daily auctions and it is NOT a fundraiser..."

To be fair, The Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg has been run by the NRA for seven years or so - I expect there is a fundraising motive for doing so.
The Great Eastern Show was replaced by GAOS.
Its still $12 for one day but you can return for free with that ticket on the last Sunday.There may be some T-shirts there, there is quite a bit to see. 1100 vendors, 400 outfitters in 650,000 square feet

I'll be at SCI and maybe DSC as well, but GAOS serves a huge portion of the Eastern US with many of the same features.

Great American Outdoor Show

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the final analysis, the SCI convention is a fund raiser. Try to keep that in mind..

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
In the final analysis, the SCI convention is a fund raiser. Try to keep that in mind..

True Larry.

But, the way they are going about it leaves a very sour taste in everyone's mouths.

Blackmail participants to donate hunts.

These hunts are used in direct competition to hunts being sold by the participants.

Force every attendee to become a member, if they are not.

The unions nickle and dime everyone participating in the convention.

I have no first hand experience, but these are some of the points raised by those who have attended.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Why not just make daily admission fee reasonable and membership not mandatory? Oh, that’s right- DSC already does that! In a place that is easier to get to and doesn’t jump around.....

I’ve been to DSC three times of recent. Buddy that went with me begged me to go to SCI. He went I didnt. He said I made the right decision. He can afford any thing, but said he will never go back to SCI.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have attended every SCI Convention since 1993. During that time, the event has always been in the State of Nevada, either Reno or Las Vegas. That does not meet my definition of "jump around." Both attendees and vendors complained about Reno's inaccessibility, lack of night life, weather, and,(originally), convention space. When the Convention has been held in Las Vegas, the attendees and vendors complained about the costs, the union shakedowns, and the distance from the parking areas to the convention. One year, SCI offered a greatly reduced price and eliminated the membership requirement for local residents to attend. That did not set well with most attendees who had to pay a lot more to gain admission, so the policy was changed. Last year, the Nevada Legislature passed severe restrictions on possession and sale of African animal parts. In 2019, animal rights fanatics,(ARFs), gained admission, and filed complaints about SCI vendors violating the new law. The ARFs also took pictures, posted lies on their blogs, and probably hacked into some vendors computers. The Nevada AG's office dismissed the complaints on grounds that the law was new, and vendors could not possibly have known about it in time to comply. Nevada is no longer a desirable place to hold a hunting convention, so moving it to another venue is certainly warranted. I do agree that the requirements for vendor donations should be modified, but the African donated hunts I have looked at usually provide a limited list of days available, years available, and included animals, with others available for additional cost, so the donated hunts are not a total loss for vendors.
I think that the four-day pass with free spousal pass is one hell of a deal, and I bought it, although it is unlikely that I will attend all four days. The SCI Show is more than worth the cost to see safari friends and catch up-others may have a different opinion. The bottom line is that we all have options. We can accept it for what it is, work from the inside to change it, or bitch about it. Bad-mouthing SCI is a fools errand. It does no good, and it divides us as hunters.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
So bad mouthing SCI’s high prices and forced donations is a fool”s errand? Good to know....

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Ferrall:
I have attended every SCI Convention since 1993. During that time, the event has always been in the State of Nevada, either Reno or Las Vegas. That does not meet my definition of "jump around." Both attendees and vendors complained about Reno's inaccessibility, lack of night life, weather, and,(originally), convention space. When the Convention has been held in Las Vegas, the attendees and vendors complained about the costs, the union shakedowns, and the distance from the parking areas to the convention. One year, SCI offered a greatly reduced price and eliminated the membership requirement for local residents to attend. That did not set well with most attendees who had to pay a lot more to gain admission, so the policy was changed. Last year, the Nevada Legislature passed severe restrictions on possession and sale of African animal parts. In 2019, animal rights fanatics,(ARFs), gained admission, and filed complaints about SCI vendors violating the new law. The ARFs also took pictures, posted lies on their blogs, and probably hacked into some vendors computers. The Nevada AG's office dismissed the complaints on grounds that the law was new, and vendors could not possibly have known about it in time to comply. Nevada is no longer a desirable place to hold a hunting convention, so moving it to another venue is certainly warranted. I do agree that the requirements for vendor donations should be modified, but the African donated hunts I have looked at usually provide a limited list of days available, years available, and included animals, with others available for additional cost, so the donated hunts are not a total loss for vendors.
I think that the four-day pass with free spousal pass is one hell of a deal, and I bought it, although it is unlikely that I will attend all four days. The SCI Show is more than worth the cost to see safari friends and catch up-others may have a different opinion. The bottom line is that we all have options. We can accept it for what it is, work from the inside to change it, or bitch about it. Bad-mouthing SCI is a fools errand. It does no good, and it divides us as hunters.

SCI are masters at dividing hunters!

They have turned hunting into a competition !

The most ridiculous stupid thing ever done to hunting!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SCI members, and board members deserve each other. They have turned that organization into a laughing stock.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
SCI members, and board members deserve each other. They have turned that organization into a laughing stock.

Many years ago I was in the US.

I joined the ATA, NRA and SCI as a Life Mermber.

There is no way in hell I would have joined SCI if I had known what I know now about them.

"First For Hunters"

What an utter lie!

FIRST FOR THE SELF GLORIFYING NON HUNTER IDIOTS! is more like it.

And if anyone is hoping that SCI is ever going to change, keep on dreaming.

It is like listening to an endless tape.

"Changes are coming. Changes are coming. Changes are coming.

Endlessly, and nothing changes!

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Saeed, what are your thoughts on the Dallas Safari Club?

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

WOW! Do you really believe that ALL SCI members have helped create the problem?

While I agree that there is a segment of the membership that have helped create the issues within SCI, it isn’t all the members. Saeed is a member. What did he do ? The answer is clearly not a damn thing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Many years ago I was in the US.

I joined the ATA, NRA and SCI as a Life Mermber.

There is no way in hell I would have joined SCI if I had known what I know now about them.

"First For Hunters"

What an utter lie!

FIRST FOR THE SELF GLORIFYING NON HUNTER IDIOTS! is more like it.

And if anyone is hoping that SCI is ever going to change, keep on dreaming.

It is like listening to an endless tape.

"Changes are coming. Changes are coming. Changes are coming.

Endlessly, and nothing changes!

Saeed:

I agree with much of what has been said in you post. However, there have been some significant changes of late. Just look at what has been done regarding the convention.

Are there other things that need to change? Absolutely ! But they have made some changes.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Saeed, what are your thoughts on the Dallas Safari Club?

From what I hear, comparing DSC and SCI is like comparing chalk and cheese!

No comparison at all.

I am glad DSC broke off the idiots running SCI.

I meat a lot of the African PHs and outfitters going to SCI, and without a single exception, all never stop complaining about SCI nickel and diming them.

From the management to all the stupid unions who rule everything.

On the other hand, non seem to complain about DSC.

I wonder why??

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
That’s ridiculous. I believe Saeed became a DSC Life Member around the Stu Taylor debacle.

For those that don’t remember, he contributed much more than I did (that’s not hard, as I should just be a life member, but my annual dues seem to be beneficial).

My local SCI Chapter is great, SCI north Texas.

In the end, I don’t believe...you know my allegiance.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am glad DSC broke off the idiots running SCI.

I meat a lot of the African PHs and outfitters going to SCI, and without a single exception, all never stop complaining about SCI nickel and diming them.

From the management to all the stupid unions who rule everything.

On the other hand, non seem to complain about DSC.

That is exactly my observations as well. SCI thinks outfitters OWE THEM and treat them accordingly, whereas DSC's philosophy is to be as helpful and cooperative with them as possible . I became a life member (DSC) in 2007 thanks to the generosity of some friends who are a "quiet pillar" of the organization and we've been going back ever since to support them.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

WOW! Do you really believe that ALL SCI members have helped create the problem?

While I agree that there is a segment of the membership that have helped create the issues within SCI, it isn’t all the members. Saeed is a member. What did he do ? The answer is clearly not a damn thing.

Likely the majority of members who happen to be nose in the air, blue bloods. That's the only reason these SCI record books exist.....a "Johnson" measuring contest. A joke..

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Ferrall:

SCI are masters at dividing hunters!

They have turned hunting into a competition !

The most ridiculous stupid thing ever done to hunting!

Saeed,
I agree....
I would join the fight to change them, but that will not happen.
I wish them success but put my money with DSC.

Posts: 10146 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of John Pomazi
posted Hide Post
I up-graded to a lifetime membership last year as they had a promotion which you received 2 4-day passes. We always get the 4 day pass anyway so it seemed like a great time to do it. Now this year they had the free spouse 4 day pass so in my mind I've received about $780 in free passes that I would of bought anyways. Makes the lifetime membership fairly inexpensive. I know a lot of people aren't huge fans of SCI but it's one place I choose to spend my money along with RMEF.

Posts: 19 | Location: Sandy, Oregon | Registered: 26 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:

So is DSC.

If DSC had a Lobbying/Legal office in DC to file lots of lawsuits against USFWS, I would drop SCI in a heartbeat, until then member of both.

Posts: 752 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wesheltonj:
quote:

So is DSC.

If DSC had a Lobbying/Legal office in DC to file lots of lawsuits against USFWS, I would drop SCI in a heartbeat, until then member of both.

Those aren’t the only lawsuits filed.

While they piss me off routinely, I am supporting both.

Picture of John Pomazi
posted Hide Post
So as a fairly new member of SCI, I don't know all the history. Have been going to the show since 2012 and really enjoy it. Having only the Portland International Expo. show to compare against it isn't even in the same ball park. I like the fact you can actually walk down the isles and have some room. I like that it is high end. Hopefully that doesn't make me a snob. I've heard the complaints from exhibitors being forced to auction something off but as far as the other complaints I'd really like to hear what irritates people. The record book and lifetime achievement awards for example. And as a side note as hunters we say the glory goes to the animal I was just fortunate to take it. Do you ever see the record books with just the animal statistics and no hunter name if as a group we really believe that to be true? Thanks for your opinions. Just trying to get a grasp on what I've actually signed up for!

Posts: 19 | Location: Sandy, Oregon | Registered: 26 February 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Pomazi:
So as a fairly new member of SCI, I don't know all the history. Have been going to the show since 2012 and really enjoy it. Having only the Portland International Expo. show to compare against it isn't even in the same ball park. I like the fact you can actually walk down the isles and have some room. I like that it is high end. Hopefully that doesn't make me a snob. I've heard the complaints from exhibitors being forced to auction something off but as far as the other complaints I'd really like to hear what irritates people. The record book and lifetime achievement awards for example. And as a side note as hunters we say the glory goes to the animal I was just fortunate to take it. Do you ever see the record books with just the animal statistics and no hunter name if as a group we really believe that to be true? Thanks for your opinions. Just trying to get a grasp on what I've actually signed up for!

There is no problem with any real hunter putting his name in a record book when he has hunted that animal ethically.

SCI changed all that.

They made every stupid, selfish idiot with more money than an ounce of hunting ethics to compete for prizes.

This in turn created a whole industry in South Africa where animals are bought from farms and transported elsewhere and kept tied down so our SCI hero can fly to shoot it and claim his superiority over other like minded idiots.

The crooks even had their own scorers, who would happily sign off that the animal was shot somewhere else than where it was tied down!

Do a bit of research, and you would see the names of specific so called "professional" hunters tied to so many SCI record book trophies, you would imagine they were bought off a supermatket shelf.

And you would be right too.

Normal hunters KNOW good trophies are only found by luck.

Exceptional trophies are as rare as hens teeth.

But some trophy providers - I would not call them professional hunters - seem to produce them on demand!

One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Wesheltonj:
quote:

So is DSC.

Those aren’t the only lawsuits filed.

While they piss me off routinely, I am supporting both.

Well I just learned that DSC just hired a fellow DSC South Texas member and lawyer from Conservation Force to work in DC. I guess SCI is becoming a short timer.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
DSC do things that will benefit us.

SCI do things that glorify them, we are immaterial to them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Milo:
Well I just tried to buy my convention tickets and the website wouldn't let me register my spouse without buying her a membership. Never had to do that before, and their FAQs say that spouses are considered members for the convention. Nice, I guess they like fielding phone calls.

I went to DSC last year and enjoyed it more than previous SCI conventions. Figured I would try Reno SCI this year since the dates work better for me, but my optimism is fading.

Try it again. I registered and did not have to pay for my wife. Perhaps you missed a box or something.