Find
Notify
Tools

DSC VERSUS SCI
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here are a couple of quotes from another thread:

No doubt there will be a lot of highly paid speakers and bands at SCI per usual. Proud that DSC never has to "pay' for our speakers, they come because they believe in the DSC Mission, and volunteer their time and talents to support it. As for bands, I'm happy that DSC and the DSC Foundation will put our money into grants that make a difference, not waste it on such nonsense. Also,I am missing all the fear from a few posters that accompanied every post and comment leading up to the DSC show. Is the Vegas Covid not as intimidating at the banquets and convention as it was in Dallas?

Thats just the feeling I have had for years watching SCI take shots at Dallas, and not just members, SCI brass. I will not, as a matter of fact, be attending the SCI convention. Two years ago, despite being such a major SCI hunt donor that we were once in the top SCI 25,and thus had a premier booth location, lack of attendance and sales forced us to come to the conclusion that the SCI show was no longer worth the expense, time, or investment in manpower. And speaking of UNSOLICITED, that sure describes the SCI brass, your top leadership, attending the DSC show who were quietly whispering to our vendors that SCI would be happy to provide free booths, or expand booths at no charge if they would just come to Vegas! They made the mistake of doing so with several vendors who contacted DSC board members to report the unacceptable behavior. Cannot wait to see the reaction of the folks who DID PAY when that word gets out, and it is already making the rounds. Stones... Sounds like SCI is perfectly positioned to, as they claim each year, break all sales and attendance records.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

I have a few thoughts/comments:

I wasn’t going to respond to this . However, after yesterday, I decided I would respond when Dave started throwing barbs at SCI. I am life members of both and support both. We have the same ultimate goals.

Yesterday for two hours, I was involved in a ZOOM call of the SCI Executive Committee. There was absolutely a discussion of the DSC convention. Let me throw out a few comments that I recall:

1-The President indicated that Amy, her husband and certain past presidents went out of their way to make sure he had a great time . A direct quote is “ they could not have been nicer to us.”

2-It was a great show. Everyone was so happy to be there and back to some sense of normalcy.

3-Under the circumstances, it would be hard to imagine that it could go any better.

No bashing of DSC in the least.

I have a few questions/comments based on the posts in question. These are as follows:

1-I have sat through every single EC meeting in 2021 & 2022 including executive sessions. There has NEVER been a mention of FREE booths. Not once ever. I am not going to sit here and say it didn’t happen. I was not there but I can tell you what I did hear in official meeting as well as what I read in the committee reports. Never considered ever!

2-I was bombarded Sunday with questions about whether SCI is going to be cancelled. Rumors were rampant. Any idea where those started?

3-Yes, SCI has some excellent speakers. I am sure some are being paid. Let me ask a question or two. Who would you rather listen to Amy or Donald Trump Jr? Corey or Tucker Carlson? I know who I would pick and that is not a dig against Amy or Corey.

4-SCI’s evening functions are almost sold out. About 2,000 people for Saturday night. How many attended the DSC functions? After all, these are fundraisers. The goal is to get people in the door to raise money for conservation, hunter advocacy, ETC.

5-There was a lot of discussion of putting money into projects. I have a few questions about that . How much money was spent for lawyers on the “Save DSC “ matter? Did DSC have a directors & officers policy? If they did, why didn’t they file a claim? It seems to me it is gross negligence if DSC didn’t have a D&O policy. It also seems to me that it is also gross negligence to fail to file a claim under such policy.

6-Why on earth would DSC give outstanding hunter awards to the same people (Save DSC) who cost DSC a small mountain of money?

7-Did DSC fund all of its conservation commitments given the legal fees incurred? Keep in mind that I am in direct contact with some of the people DSC committed to.

8-Did DSC buy an insurance policy to protect it against loss of convention revenue if something like COVID happened? Certain other organizations did.

9_Any idea why certain people don’t want to do work with DSC any longer? For example, the guy who did all the FFL work.

10-Why is it that DSC would decide to not renew the contract with the lobbyist then approximately a year later, decide to go seriously into legislative affairs?

11- Did DSC get its FFL application approved?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Posts: 11945 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Great questions Larry. I have my thoughts and they aren't flattering. I have seen first hand the inability for men to handle power, authority and large amounts of money they have a fiduciary responsibility to spend wisely.

We had a deal nearly broke our Chapter up on time. It was over a "Donated" green Rhino hunt. You can imagine what might have happened.

Yet another donation gone bad at a Costa Rica sportfishing destination of note.

That same power translates into not being able to keep your pants on.

All three advocacy organizations we count on let us down far too often.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3370 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

Which thread was that?

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vvreddy:
quote:

Which thread was that?

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1411043/m/1521050962

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1571 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Great. Post Larry!

Some good thoughtful questions.

The small group of sportsman need to work together to make a difference. That includes RMEF, DU, SCI, DSC & NRA members. Pitting one against the other will not move our objective forward.

From Gopher hunter to elephant hunter and all in-between sportsman need to work for the good of our outdoor activity that we enjoy.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1571 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I kinda agree philosophically with the last comment in that thread. Although I’m not naive to how fund raising works. If you pay to get more on the upside it’s what matters. As long as it doesn’t go to an absurd 90/10 margin as some charities roll.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The antis seem to be a lot more united than we are.
That needs to change. The pro-hunting organizations need to present a united front both between the organizations and internally within each organization. My two cents.

Posts: 9994 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
The antis seem to be a lot more united than we are.
That needs to change. The pro-hunting organizations need to present a united front both between the organizations and internally within each organization. My two cents.

Bingo

Posts: 11945 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana338:
Great. Post Larry!

The small group of sportsman need to work together to make a difference. That includes RMEF, DU, SCI, DSC & NRA members. Pitting one against the other will not move our objective forward.

From Gopher hunter to elephant hunter and all in-between sportsman need to work for the good of our outdoor activity that we enjoy.

I 100% agree.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Great. Post Larry!

I 100% agree.

All well and true.

If we can only get decent people to run these organizations.

Two of the biggest , the NRA and SCI, have gone on a tangent off the straight line they were supposed to be on.

If you have some rotten apples inside, none from outside can fix that.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Great. Post Larry!

True story ^^^

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36509 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Here is a question.

SCI has been promising to up their acts almost every time there a President change.

Never happened.

The NRA is embroiled in a nasty internal affair which does not look like reaching an end any time soon.

DSC was being run very well by decent people and suddenly a bunch of idiots take them to task.

How we as members look at these organizations??

I am a Life Member in all three.

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
In the end it is a competition between different organizations and maybe just maybe it makes them learn from each other and do things better
It is what competition does in every business and at times some will rise and some fall and it is a natural order of things
I stay above the fray and try to support all with little I have, being organizations and outfitters

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting organizations (and hunting in general) has devolved into one big competition;
Competition between the numerous organizations out there, competition between various disciplines of hunting styles (rifle vs archery and so on), and ESPECIALLY competition amongst the hunters themselves to be the biggest and baddest of all on social media. All are rampant and terribly damaging to the pastime and none of which bodes well for our image portrayed to the rest of the world’s population.

Unfortunately this mentality has now thoroughly entrenched itself into these organizations and the fruits are coming to bear nowadays.

Essentially, it’s boiled down into one big dick measuring and wallet content contest. It’s always been there, just under the surface.. it’s just in the glaring daylight now.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Equinsu Ocha:
Hunting organizations (and hunting in general) has devolved into one big competition;
Competition between the numerous organizations out there, competition between various disciplines of hunting styles (rifle vs archery and so on), and ESPECIALLY competition amongst the hunters themselves to be the biggest and baddest of all on social media. All are rampant and terribly damaging to the pastime and none of which bodes well for our image portrayed to the rest of the world’s population.

Unfortunately this mentality has now thoroughly entrenched itself into these organizations and the fruits are coming to bear nowadays.

Essentially, it’s boiled down into one big dick measuring and wallet content contest. It’s always been there, just under the surface.. it’s just in the glaring daylight now.

I saw some pictures of DSC giving some sort of silly award called OUTSTANDING HUNTER or something.

Anyone knows anything about this?

I will try to find the picture and post it.

If this is true, then I suspect t some at DSC is trying to catch up with SCI utter stupidity!

Administrator
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I think the OHAA goes way back.

The only trophy I ever though was cool was Shaw and Hunter or the McDonald Trophy.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pic Saeed. Looks like a high school graduation. Seriously! rotflmo clap Downright Silly! thumbdown

One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
Worst then a high school graduation.

Posts: 751 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Some of you are like bunch of old women complaining incessantly about everything
Hunting has always been competition to a degree
In the beginnings you had to kill bigger mammoth or your sweet hairy muscled up angel would leave you for guy with bigger one

So spare me of your complaining and enjoy the competition, hunt and overall this short life on earth…who knows what’s coming next…

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting mammoths was a group effort.

No place for awards and competition in Spirt Hunting today.

I have long argued when need to ward outfitters who transparently give the most money earned from hunting back to habitat, anti poaching, and local resource development.

No one here can tell an anti just how much we spent on our last hunt went to Conservation. This is a major problem.

Posts: 10805 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All these hunting awards are f@cking joke.

There is a weatherby winner sitting in jail for allegedly killing his wife for insurance proceeds.

Another one filled for bankruptcy.

I knew this whole African hunting (and most paid hunting) was a discretionary gimmick before I even went to Africa.

My old firm on the pe side was invested in a company formerly controlled by a weatherby award winner. The pe guys knew I wanted to hunt Africa and they wanted to play to the ego of the weatherby guy. They said one of the hedge fund partners wants to get advice on hunting Africa.

Before I could drop in and meet them, they went out to lunch. One of the pe guys came and said this big hunting guy could barely walk a New York City block and was out of breath and needed a rest before they got to the restaurant. There I knew what I was getting into was not based on any skill ect just on the ability to wire money.

This is a Discretionary activity for Rich people. Nothing more nothing less. If you have the money you can hunt and along the way also give yourself awards for hunting.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Whoever dreamt this up at DSC, should be ashamed of himself!

We do not, repeat , DO NOT want DSC to be turned into a Mini SCI!

Funny thing is I have a few friends on Whatsapp, and it is fascinating how quickly I was sent this photo last night be several of them.

Every single one said something I cannot post!

I bet the same individuals involved in the last idiotic actions a few months back against DSC are the same sorry lot who brought this up!

SHAME on you lot!

Administrator
posted Hide Post
"My SCI Micro Duiker is bigger than yours"

"But my DSC Golden and Pink Wildebeest is bigger than yours"

Let the competition begin! jumping

10 year old kids with more money than brains! clap

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

That looks like a clown show at the circus……. coffee

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whoever dreamt this up at DSC, should be ashamed of himself!
We do not, repeat , DO NOT want DSC to be turned into a Mini SCI!
I bet the same individuals involved in the last idiotic actions a few months back against DSC are the same sorry lot who brought this up!

Yep…and and one was rewarded with a big award (second from right in the photo). No shame.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t be caught dead with one of those sashes.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Just because someone calls it a competition, doesn’t mean there’s going to be a winner (especially where fashion or lack thereof is concerned)!

Reminds me of the Golden Globes. Who cares?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13379 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:

That looks like a clown show at the circus……. coffee

+1

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1283 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . curious, what does OHAA even stand for?

Mike

Posts: 21193 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a life member of the NRA. I'm concerned about where it is headed. A life member of DSC and I also have concerns. I'm not a life member of SCI for precisely those reasons. I thought DSC was supposed to be different. And it was. But not sure it is staying the course.

Posts: 9994 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
. . . curious, what does OHAA even stand for?

In Zumbaco, the language of the real hunters of the rain forest, it says "BFOTY"

Translation: Brainless Fuckwit Of The Year! rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm a life member of the NRA. I'm concerned about where it is headed. A life member of DSC and I also have concerns. I'm not a life member of SCI for precisely those reasons. I thought DSC was supposed to be different. And it was. But not sure it is staying the course.

These are the cats trying to “Save DSC” and can piss up a rope.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
quote:

Any of those deranged idiots shown in the picture above?

The ones trying to "SAVE DSC"?

From what?

From what we have known, DSC was run by hunters for hunters, and these nut cases wants to turn it into a second rate organization like SCI?

Whose only glory is CIRCLES and AWARDS?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You mean the same guys who cost DSC mega dollars over their ridiculous antics? Is this how to get an award? Is this how one gets one
of those sashes?

I heard they were prancing around like a rooster in a hen house .

Not me. I’d tell them hell no if I was given one of these .

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

You mean the same guys who cost DSC mega dollars over their ridiculous antics? Is this how to get an award? Is this how one gets one
of those sashes?

I heard they were prancing around like a rooster in a hen house .

Not me. I’d tell them hell no if I was given one of these .

From what I know, real hunters, real men, don’t need to be glorified for what they have achieved.

It comes naturally to them.

It is only those who lack character, integrity, and belief in themselves need to be cheered by others.

It is the Kardashians mentality.

A man cannot lower himself any lower!

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
There is no doubt about it…DSC is not the same club as it was 10 years ago. It seems like it made major change in the last 2-3.

It was my understanding that the hostile takeover by Save DSC was staved off and it remained the same as always as to leadership and structure. Obviously, that is not the case. What is even harder for me though now is to understand where everyone lies now.

I joined DSC about 20 years ago when you had to have current member sponsor you. My sponsor was Jesse and Milo Kirk — clients and good friends. It was like a family. I very much enjoyed the atmosphere posed in that era. The monthly meetings are always an hour drive for me…but I used to make them when I could. The food was always good, family atmosphere, good positive like-minded social interaction, and informative learning.

DSC has changed…no question about it. I am still trying to figure out if I like the new DSC.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36509 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To me it is nothing more that both are about the avg member paying there dues so a few of the rich high level guys can give each other awards and kiss each other ass.

Yes both do some good for wildlife but the goal of why both started has been lost for awhile now. I think there is a few good guys like Karl who do it for the right reason but not enough to stop takeovers by the ones just doing it to gain for themselves.

I stopped being member of both about 3 years ago. I was sick of seeing who got and award for who spent the most money to hunt that year or who can follow the Ph the best. Though they call the awards by different names.

Posts: 559 | Location: macungie , Pa | Registered: 21 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
I hope they at least paid DSC a lot of money to look that juvenile.

I am not sure what is going on at DSC. First DSC dumped the Dallas Ecological Foundation (Outdoors Tomorrow). Start a new Foundation, get a director and then dump him. Sounds like there is a management oversight problem that needs to be cleaned up, or they might was well merge with SCI. And to think DSC and HSC were both formed because they did not like how SCI was run and look what it's become.

Posts: 751 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
It appears that DSC is becoming an off shoot of the "Shriners", with the sash now we need a cool hat to go with the outfit.

That is the take my wife indicated as she was reading this forum over my shoulder.

She indicated the recipients need to list all the good that they have accomplished for the hunting community. That way the DSC members would know what was expected for members going forward.

It appears to be a joke! And if that is what DSC wants to become, it is time to move on to another organization.

There are so many available to join, I am limiting my donations to the ones that I think represents my beliefs.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>