THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What species do you regret not taking?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What species do you regret not taking?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted
Been some great discussions lately so adding another fun one.

What species have you seen on safari and NOT hunted for one reason or another and in hindsight you regret?

Mine is easy, Bushpig and White Blesbok when I was at Blaauwkrantz.

Neither species on the next safari I took and not on my upcoming safari in July. Should have definitely pursued them and let some of the other more common species go for another trip.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Kudu. We didn't see one mature enough.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was hunting in Makuti we came upon a huge tuskless just standing there alone.She stood there for quite a while as we looked at her and my PH asked me if I wanted to take her.I said no.I am not sure if I regret not taking her but the opportunity was there.Another on the same hunt was I believe a very nice Klipspringer-that I regret not taking.Most of all was again in Makuti a wonderful trophy sable we saw walking off into the hills.I don't think any were left on quota and even if there were I thought they were too expensive.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
A Steenbok. I passed on a 5 1/2 incher and later decided I should shoot one. We never saw it again.

Posts: 2326 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Warthog.

I first got the Africa "bug" back in the mid-'70s when I visited a fellow officer's home and he had a warthog shoulder mount on the wall (among other animals).

I only was able to take two safaris, one to RSA and another to Zimbabwe, but was never able to connect with a good wartie.

Had I collected one, I was going to do a full body mount.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1545 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitro Express:
Warthog.

I first got the Africa "bug" back in the mid-'70s when I visited a fellow officer's home and he had a warthog shoulder mount on the wall (among other animals).

I only was able to take two safaris, one to RSA and another to Zimbabwe, but was never able to connect with a good wartie.

Had I collected one, I was going to do a full body mount.

If you go to Moz coutada 9 you will be in warthog heaven.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I regret missing a couple of blue duiker when I pulled the trigger, but I've never actually not pulled the trigger on an animal I wanted.

One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
Sable

Posts: 751 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Hippo and a big warthog.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eland and Klipspringer in Namibia in 2011. But, had I taken them, I wouldn't have taken anything else, so always a toss up because I am always on a budget.

DSC
SCI Life
NRA Life
WSF Life <1 Club

Posts: 177 | Location: Bitterroot Valley, MT | Registered: 02 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I had a dandy Nyala feeding at just under 50 yards late in my 2014 safari but my budget was tapped out so all I have is his memory.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never regretted not pulling the trigger, but I do often wonder if the lion we tracked was six or more.
Given that he was not over bait and we had little time to evaluate, my PH just couldn't be sure. He made the right decision.

Posts: 9994 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slider:
A Steenbok. I passed on a 5 1/2 incher and later decided I should shoot one. We never saw it again.

Opportunity only knocks once. Big Grin

Posts: 1903 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
It gives me a reason to go back. Wink

Posts: 2326 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Maybe this guy.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice! Where was that, Robert?

Grysbok in Binga. Hunting buffalo and as a 2nd DG hunt and first buffalo hunt I hadn't learnt to see the trophy list for both prices and availability; irrespective of why you are there. It was probably 4pm one afternoon and he walked right up to us. Seemed quite inquisitive. He stopped at about 7m and looked us for at least 20 seconds before bounding off. He looked massive. I asked the PH and he smiled and said, "the biggest I've seen. I'd guess he'd make top five".

Vaalrhebuck... we left a big one because it was day one and the area had better. Shot a far poorer ons some days later. Similar story with a 27" nyala... I now shoot them if they meet my expectations amd know what's on quota when I'm out there.

Posts: 689 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An Eland in Namibia... Roll Eyes

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slider:
It gives me a reason to go back. Wink

tu2

Posts: 1903 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Zebra.....only saw the fleeting glimmer of the arse end of one that Dylan pointed out to me through the grass. Ah but that's hunting Wink Big Grin

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7970 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish I had hunted bushbuck at Blaauwkrantz, but I was too ignorant on that first trip and barely knew what they were.

I'm also haunted by the memory of a marvellous kudu that I missed there, a fact which my brother enjoys reminding me of!

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Tyrannosaurus Rex clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66911 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definitely Warthog. I saw a brute on the first day of my safari, attempted a stalk, and he gave us the slip. Never saw that one again. The same thing happened on the last day with a slightly smaller one. Don't know what it is about those ugly buggers, but a wartie with big tusks gets me charged up. Also wished I had a bit more time to chase Bushbuck. I took a representative specimen on the 4th day of my safari, but was in an area that held lots of them. I didn't want to take any time away from chasing Kudu, and that took up the bulk of my days.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Namibia, first hunt. Hartmin Zebra, Klippie.
Wife said no zebra

Posts: 121 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roan in Cameroon. Price was very high but should have bought an extra full bag.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lesser kudu in Tanzania. Passed on several mature bulls, In hindsight...

Posts: 1789 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
One what and one where.

The where was Okavango Delta.

The what was trophy elephant with importable ivory in Zimbabwe.

Both instances were going to be next year and when next year rolled around they were closed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish I could have bagged a Gerenuk. They are one of the few I regret not having the opportunity to take.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
A representative size Cookson Wildebeest bull while on buff tracks in Zambia. Never saw another on that hunt... and that area of Zambia is the only place to hunt them.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bongo and mt nyala -- oops i haven't hunted them yet

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
Mountain Reedbuck. First safari. Didnt know how good he was.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, I've been to southern Africa twice and have failed to take what might be the two most common species - impala and warthog. I tried both times, it just didn't work out. Sure would like one or more of each.

As far as regret for passing up an animal, I'd have to say giraffe. At first, I thought they were kinda dumb, slow, lumbering creatures. Early in my first hunt, an opportunity arose at a nice dark bull, but I passed. But after observing them for several days, I realized how challenging it would be to actually hunt them specifically. Of course, another opportunity did not arise.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think there is a learning curve on that first safari or two and it takes some time to realize the value of some species thus we may turn down good opportunities. I know on my first safari that I turned down a good Klipspringer, grysbok and common duiker because they meant nothing to me at that time and "Why would I want to shoot tiny animals". What a dumb ass! Now many years later I have about a dozen of the little guys and consider them some of my most favorite trophies. So to answer the question I do regret not taking those species on my first hunt and I most regret not being tuned into what great trophies they were.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12861 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've stalked past Eland a number of times on safari when pursuing other game, but they didn't interest me as a trophy. I now regret that...I have a "hole" in my collection :-(

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A RSA leopard when it was still fairly inexpensive.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bush pig. I had one come to a waterhole that I was watching in Zimbabwe. The PH encouraged me to take it, but I at the time was not interested. I guess seeing them in broad day light is not that common. The PH was sure surprised that I did not arrow it.
That was my first safari.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
I would have to say Gerenuk. I saw quite a few nice one but wasent interested. I wish I could rewind time, because I don't think I will ever get another chance.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 2011 I had a NG 42 Botswana bull elephant (70-80# tusk) at 15 yards. My quota called for a less than 45# broken tusk management bull. The fee escalation was very steep. When we returned to camp my wife said we can take out a home equity loan so go shoot it! Never saw it again but on day 7 I shot a nice representative 40# management bull. To this day, that huge bull is permanently fixed in my memory. The bull never knew we were there as PH Andy Hunter backed us out of the thorn brush.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Klipsinger, Mountain Reedbuck, Lepoard in Namibia when hounds were allowed and I was young enough to chase them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It isn't so much a species as it is a hunting trip, but for some reason I never got around to going to Argentina to hunt water buffalo. I always wanted to do that, and throw in a spot of trout fishing as well. I regret it because I'm now 75, and can't do the rough stuff anymore. Shoulda, woulda, coulda. Smiler

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Yes there were three that I have always been sorry I didn't take!

One I tried for but came up empty! That was a Sitatunga in the Bangualu swamp. Just never saw one big enough. The other two were a PUKU that I just passed on because I had taken all I could afford on that Safari, and other is a leopard as I took early retirement and decided to pass on a Leopard hunt I had planed for the next year.

Kept thinking I would take them all later but the opportunity just seemed to never come about again for those three.
....................................................................... old Too late now!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote