Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting photos and terrorism
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Double Rifle
posted
Here we go again- someone hunting legally, photos picked up by a public figure, and his life is ruined for good

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...-animals-Africa.html

quote:
A spokesman for Governor C.L 'Butch' Otter's Jon Hanian told The Idaho Statesman in a story on Friday that the governor's office is looking into the matter involving Fischer.

I don't even know what that means, but it would not surprise me if he loses his job to calm public outrage.

This is just the latest of a long chain of similar incidents. People's hunting photos are reposted by a public figure or a popular page, people flock to the hunter's social media pages and abuse him/her until they delete their pages, they contact their employers and family members, and in this example people published the hunter's email address and I have no doubt it crashed or got closed because of abusive mail.

Google defines "terrorism" as the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims. This is exactly what's been taking place, and I have no doubt that these celebrities knew that the hunter they target will be abused and intimidated by the angry mob. Isn't it time that legal action is taken by bodies that support legal hunting against these celebrities?

If this sort of thing is not confronted, soon hunters will have to act as if they are dealing drugs, making sure not to leave evidence behind or have photos taken. Yes, the hunting of certain animals might not look tasteful to everybody, but it remains a legal act and each to their own. No one should be terrorized like this for acting within the law.

Posts: 47 | Location: Florida | Registered: 27 June 2017Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Yep and when people/company's cave into them, they win.

I've said it before. If you post hunting photo's on line be prepared to ride the shit storm.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7972 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is why I post virtually no hunting pictures on FB or email and no hunting reports here any longer.
You can Google me and get enough of a Shit Storm that if some one wanted to go after my business they would have no problem. I try not to add fuel to the fire.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A vary small and radical vocal minority of misguided and unknowledgeable people have been able to get "their way" by acting like four year old kids, stomping their feet and screaming/crying and making threats. Every time they "get their way", this behavior is reinforced.

Only way to end their behavior (since you can't spank them like a child) is to ignore it, not succumb to it. Let them scream and throw their temper tantrums while we go on with our lives.

The agitators of these protests knowingly play on the weak minded "followers" by playing on their emotions. Much easier to play on emotions of the feeble minded than to use logic and fact based data. The feeble minded will NEVER be convinced by fact based logical argument because actual thinking and reason and logic it too hard for them.

The worst offenders are those who use those feeble minded dolts to raise money for "their cause". The feeble minds then donate without actually seeing where the money goes and how it is spent. All of the "legitimate" organizations are required to file periodic financial disclosures in the country they are based. It's always interesting to do a little internet digging on them and go through their financial disclosures. EVERYONE of the several dozens I've researched over the years, less then 5% of the donations actually go to the "cause" they are presumably supporting. The balance is spent on principals' salaries, travel and fund raising, like one of my favorites Lion Aid.

Then, if you dig into the principals' backgrounds, you'll find a plethora of VERY shady characters.

Posts: 572 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Call this terrorism if you wish,I just see a really stupid hunter,who in his stupidity has created this situation for himself,posting pictures on the internet showing him with a family of dead baboons? including an infant?really how stupid can you be thumbdown.
I will never give up my right to hunt,I will also not ever support this sort of behavior.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
Call this terrorism if you wish,I just see a really stupid hunter,who in his stupidity has created this situation for himself,posting pictures on the internet showing him with a family of dead baboons? including an infant?really how stupid can you be thumbdown.
I will never give up my right to hunt,I will also not ever support this sort of behavior.

Yup. Tell me how his post helped the the hunter image? I met his dad several times, he was a GREAT guy, big in the traditional archery world. I think he might have even cringed at the post.

One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
He SHOULD lose his job! If he has no more sense than that then he shouldn’t be a commissioner influencing policy.

Besides that picture is creepy!

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree 100%.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably best for fellas to treat hunting pics like they would nudies of their gal...

Posts: 1168 | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hahaah!
16Bore. Why hide nudies of our gals? Smiler Smiler

Ski+3
Kalispell, MT

Posts: 858 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Post all you want, nobody will tell...

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
I still have yet to post the report of my hunt, cropped my face and took out the city name on my signature.

Once I get my import permit I may post, but til then, no way am I going to jeopardize the importation of my hide.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Placing animal life above that of humans? How hypocritical. Where is their protest for the unborn?

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Be a hero: save a whale. Save a baby: go to jail.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys... this is a situation of a bad decision. He shot immature animals and bragged it up and sent it to multiple folks that he knew... one of those folks sent it on to the ecoterrorists. Says something about his friends, I guess.

I’ve posted a fair amount here, including some “sensitive” type animals. I’ve tried to remain comprehensive in what the positives for hunting are in those posts.

So far, at least, I’ve not gotten any negative feedback, although I found out that a hunt report I sent out many years ago was apparently sent around by many folks that I didn’t know (one of the clubs I shoot at asked if they could reprint it was how I found out. It was an amalgation of a couple hunts, so strange things do happen.).

One thing I was told can help you is to claim copyright of your report when you send it out...

I do think the ecoterrorist threat is overstated, but then again I live in a relatively rural area. Keeping from posting a reasonably composed report with some tasteful trophy pictures is not helping us by avoiding the issue, IMO.

Posts: 10589 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Double Rifle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 16Bore:
Probably best for fellas to treat hunting pics like they would nudies of their gal...

I have none. They never stick around long enough to warm up to nude photography CRYBABY

Posts: 47 | Location: Florida | Registered: 27 June 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Sorry guys... this is a situation of a bad decision. He shot immature animals and bragged it up and sent it to multiple folks that he knew... one of those folks sent it on to the ecoterrorists. Says something about his friends, I guess.

I’ve posted a fair amount here, including some “sensitive” type animals. I’ve tried to remain comprehensive in what the positives for hunting are in those posts.

So far, at least, I’ve not gotten any negative feedback, although I found out that a hunt report I sent out many years ago was apparently sent around by many folks that I didn’t know (one of the clubs I shoot at asked if they could reprint it was how I found out. It was an amalgation of a couple hunts, so strange things do happen.).

One thing I was told can help you is to claim copyright of your report when you send it out...

I do think the ecoterrorist threat is overstated, but then again I live in a relatively rural area. Keeping from posting a reasonably composed report with some tasteful trophy pictures is not helping us by avoiding the issue, IMO.

Yup. It was pretty stupid.

Posts: 11954 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
+1

One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Seems he didn't post on social media....he emailed pictures to people he considered friends and one of them wasn't.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 817 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
This case has nothing to do with posting pictures on a hunting forum. He sent pictures via email to friends including an entire family of baboons killed. He used extremely poor judgement doing that.

I would hate to see people quit posting their hunting reports on AR. It's one of the main reasons I come here. Many hunt reports here are far better than reading some article in a hunting mag.

In reality has anyone here ever suffered any repercussions from posting here? I for one thinks it would be a sad day when no one posts hunt reports on AR because of fear.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Very poor judgement for circulating photos like that. I realise baboons in some areas are regarded as pests and many hunters probably shoot them as a culling service. Primates are regard as close to the human species and probably the human species has evolved from primates. Many people, not just anti's or greenie's, would see the close link and would be uncomfortable killing any primates. Circulating photos of a family of primates that have been killed "slaughtered" even to friends is lunacy.

I know that the cuddly Koala Bear in Australia has been culled over the years by hunters when it has reached pest proportions but to circulate photos posing with a family of dead koala bears would be lunacy.
Here in NZ we get away with photos of kids in the media posing with dead possums which are a stinky uncuddly and not very friendly animal of pest proportions but to pose with a photo of a dead female possum and joey from the pouch would also be lunacy.

When hunting and killing animals we should practice some decorum and respect and conduct ourselves knowing than not everyone has an affinity for hunting and killing animals.

Shame on that hunter, he deserves no respect and gets none from me.

Posts: 3848 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
When hunting and killing animals we should practice some decorum and respect and conduct ourselves knowing than not everyone has an affinity for hunting and killing animals.

Totally agree and good comment.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9865 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

Totally agree and good comment.

How many times has this been repeated? coffee

Posts: 1904 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apparently not enough..

one of us
posted Hide Post
The pictures and discussion were on ABC national network news last.

Obviously, not a pro hunting report.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RCG:
The pictures and discussion were on ABC national network news last.

Obviously, not a pro hunting report.

Holy hell...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think posing for a picture with the "family" of baboons shows poor judgement on his part.

Killing immature animals doesn't go well with most people, even hunters IMO.

Seem's like he could initiate a lawsuit on the celeb who stated he "sodomized" the leopard??

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Bad sportsmanship and poor judgment, not necessarily in that order.

But in any case, not a good combination.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RCG:
quote:

I agree 100%.

I also agree 100%. Just a really stupid move!!!

I am amazed how reasonably intelligent people will do the stupidest things ever.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1283 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have said it many times before.

Some idiots should never go hunting.

Some idiots should never come near guns!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66923 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course Ricky Gervasis can call female hunters the C word and attack a 12 year old girl on social media and get no backlash.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
This is why I post virtually no hunting pictures on FB or email and no hunting reports here any longer.
You can Google me and get enough of a Shit Storm that if some one wanted to go after my business they would have no problem. I try not to add fuel to the fire.

Jeff

When facebook first came out I opened an account, but after a short period of time I terminated it. I don't do facebook, twitter, or any other social media thing, other than a few message boards like this one. Posting personal stuff on facebook only invites trouble. If as a hunter you enjoy trouble, enjoy facebook.

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muttleysgone:
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:

Jeff

When facebook first came out I opened an account, but after a short period of time I terminated it. I don't do facebook, twitter, or any other social media thing, other than a few message boards like this one. Posting personal stuff on facebook only invites trouble. If as a hunter you enjoy trouble, enjoy facebook.

Exactly,I do the same,in every single instance it's someone's picture somewhere that gives us hunters the negative publicity that we do not need,most people eat meat,but do we see pictures of the slaughterhouses splashed everywhere ? NO !!!!!
We have to understand what we are up against & just keep our business to ourselves.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
Very poor judgement for circulating photos like that. I realise baboons in some areas are regarded as pests and many hunters probably shoot them as a culling service. Primates are regard as close to the human species and probably the human species has evolved from primates. Many people, not just anti's or greenie's, would see the close link and would be uncomfortable killing any primates. Circulating photos of a family of primates that have been killed "slaughtered" even to friends is lunacy.

I know that the cuddly Koala Bear in Australia has been culled over the years by hunters when it has reached pest proportions but to circulate photos posing with a family of dead koala bears would be lunacy.
Here in NZ we get away with photos of kids in the media posing with dead possums which are a stinky uncuddly and not very friendly animal of pest proportions but to pose with a photo of a dead female possum and joey from the pouch would also be lunacy.

Shame on that hunter, he deserves no respect and gets none from me.

Agreed. I don't have a problem with posting hunting photos, I do and have. As my little girl grows up I'd guess I'll continue to post, although by then the pictures will have her posing with the taken game.

Around my neck of the woods hunting is considered a family affair, a lifestyle, cultural tradition, etc,. Hunting photos are a given and can include game animals like bears, walrus and whales. Generally the attitude is, "yeah, so what?" When the Greenpeace folks complain, shoulders are shrugged.

Personally or privately I feel no need to pose myself with game taken. I know what I look like so I don't need to be photographed, but I treasure my pictures of dogs and pheasants, kids and trout, flora and fauna and happily share them with the world.

Also personally I feel no attraction to shooting baby anythings, deer, bears or baboons. I'm not sure the fellow we're discussing deserved the hulabaloo, but he certainly made himself available to it.

Posts: 9087 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted Hide Post
From Idaho here, suppose to be a rural positive hunting state. Was the photo of the baboons (typically pests in Africa and shot on sight) in poor taste, maybe so, but if he shot them all with the bow that's in the picture, that's not bad shooting, as I've never come close in 4 trips with a rifle to get any. Should the hunter and Idaho game commissioner been forced to resign, not in my book. There has been a lot worse discovered and posted about people in this world and most of them as big shots suffer some negative media coverage, but after a few days/weeks its all forgotten.
While most of the posters on this thread think this is poor form and bad judgement on this guys part, from what I've seen on media he was on a legal hunt and one would think AR folks would be a little more supportive of legal hunting even if one might agree with the specifics of how or what was hunted. Flame away.

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eyeman
posted Hide Post
It seems every time a hunter gets in trouble with social media, they seem to bring it on themselves buy posting pictures..As Forest Gump said, "stupid is as stupid does."

Posts: 340 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I view posting hunting pictures online like the guys who open carry pistols on their hips in the grocery store. I personally prefer concealed carry for tactical reasons and I don't want to scare the blue haired ladies at checkout, but I'm glad there's folks out there that don't give a hoot what people think and do it anyways. It desensitizes the public to the idea of folks carrying guns and reminds them that law abiding citizens still have the right to do it. I hope people never stop posting their hunting photos online even if it causes them some hardship otherwise we'll start losing more ground to the eco-terrorist. Admittedly though I found these photos a little disturbing. Poor taste, but he shouldn't lose his job for it.

Posts: 571 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bisonhunter1:
From Idaho here, suppose to be a rural positive hunting state. Was the photo of the baboons (typically pests in Africa and shot on sight) in poor taste, maybe so, but if he shot them all with the bow that's in the picture, that's not bad shooting, as I've never come close in 4 trips with a rifle to get any. Should the hunter and Idaho game commissioner been forced to resign, not in my book. There has been a lot worse discovered and posted about people in this world and most of them as big shots suffer some negative media coverage, but after a few days/weeks its all forgotten.
While most of the posters on this thread think this is poor form and bad judgement on this guys part, from what I've seen on media he was on a legal hunt and one would think AR folks would be a little more supportive of legal hunting even if one might agree with the specifics of how or what was hunted. Flame away.

No need to flame away,you got your opinion & others do theirs,what we need to realize is that legal hunting comes under the spotlight anytime something like this happens & of course people who disapprove get painted as not standing together as hunters etc,incidents like this one, are a liability to the future of legal hunting,enough incidents like this & the vote will be against legal hunting,then what will you say?

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How did this IDIOT ever become a Idaho Wildlife commissioner?

Posts: 670 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4WD:
How did this IDIOT ever become a Idaho Wildlife commissioner?

He’s a good guy who made a stupid decision.