New
Find
Notify
Tools

Simple firearms travel tip
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm sure many of you do something like this already but I thought it worth mentioning. When I went to Zimbabwe last year, I found that about a dozen people wanted to see the serial numbers on my rifles. I fortunately had set up the Pelican case so the serial numbers were visible. But especially at the Harare airport, the lighting was lousy and they struggled to make out the numbers.

I carry a pocket light, which was helpful. But with returning to hunt Humani with Guy Whittall next month, I got a white-colored wax pencil and highlighted the serial number and cartridge designation for each rifle. Just rub the wax pencil over the markings thoroughly and then wipe off the excess surface wax with a rag.

I noticed that my son's Tikka came from the factory so highlighted and I just touched up the markings. But my Kimber Caprivi rifles certainly benefited from the white coloring and I suspect it will speed up and simplify the inspections.

Posts: 109 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 07 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^
Good idea! Thanks for sharing.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
England,

That is a very good idea! I'm adding that to my prep list for new clients.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did the same thing on one of my rifles, but I used a 'gold' wax pencil. Probably not quite as easy to read as the white, but adds a small touch of class IMHO, and is easier to see than no filler at all.

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good idea, Thanks.
quote:

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3335 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Good plan
Tks

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 923 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Great idea, thanks.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
All of my rifles have the gold 'inlay' in the serial numbers and in other writing. I have been using a gold lacquer stick for years. Just buy the gold lacquer sticks for firearms that rub in, harden, and then wipe off the excess. I believe that Birchwood Casey used to make them. I have actually had individuals want to purchase my firearms after seeing the 'gold inlay'. Big Grin One lacquer stick will do dozens of rifles. tu2

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
All of my rifles have the gold 'inlay' in the serial numbers and in other writing. I have been using a gold lacquer stick for years. Just buy the gold lacquer sticks for firearms that rub in, harden, and then wipe off the excess. I believe that Birchwood Casey used to make them. I have actually had individuals want to purchase my firearms after seeing the 'gold inlay'. Big Grin One lacquer stick will do dozens of rifles. tu2

$10 from Brownells

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Now, that is what you call a good idea. Thanks.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:

I used to do this with all of my blue steel revolvers. Looked really nice!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I used to do this with all of my blue steel revolvers. Looked really nice!

Yes, I've done all of my blued rifles, shotguns and pistols with it. tu2 It lasts quite a while and sometimes touch-up is required, but it makes a firearm look big bucks. Big Grin It isn't really useful on stainless-you can do it-but it's not as eye catching. I learned the trick about 20 years ago from a gunsmith who is now deceased and who used to do it to rifles that he built and/or refinished. He had a term for it that is not PC and that I can't repeat here. rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great tip, will do this to my rifles on my next trip.

Posts: 35 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: 08 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just did two rifles this morning with white lacquer paint stick from amazon. Brilliant! Thanks for the tip

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I need to go look at some of my customs as I think some of them do not even have a SN visible (then again, I may be just losing it).