Find
Notify
Tools

Cam "Camshaft" Greig passes
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted
I am saddened to post this but Cam passed away Friday morning in a hospital in South Africa after being medivaced from Impfondo, Congo. His death was caused by complications of his fight with cancer. My condolences to his wife, children, and friends.

Cam was a great adventurer and an avid hunter until the end. He will be sorely missed by many people around the world.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn. Sorry to hear that.

Posts: 11909 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow....I was just talking to a friend the other day about doing one of his unguided trips. May he rest in peace.

Posts: 62 | Location: USA / Temporarily South Korea | Registered: 18 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Condolences to his friends and family. Hope you are doing fine.

Mike

Posts: 21093 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeBurke:
I am saddened to post this but Cam passed away Friday morning in a hospital in South Africa after being medivaced from Impfondo, Congo. His death was caused by complications of his fight with cancer. My condolences to his wife, children, and friends.

Cam was a great adventurer and an avid hunter until the end. He will be sorely missed by many people around the world.

Terrible and sad news.

Our heart felt condolences to all his family and friends.

May he rests in peace.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Cam had an adventurous heart and an entrepreneurial spirit. He opened much of west Africa for those who loved DIY hunting or needed a less expensive opportunity to fulfill their dreams. He will be remembered for that drive. Condolences to his family.

Find your way home safely Mike.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7510 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a shame. I really enjoyed corresponding with him. He was kind of a unique character in the biz that had carved out a special niche for himself.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12842 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I first met Cam some 20+ years ago. We talked hunting Africa many times and I visited with him in his home. A good man gone too soon. RIP and condolences to his family and friends.

I am currently on an island in the Pacific for another 3 weeks, so will be unable to attend his memorial service.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know how old he was?

Posts: 11909 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear this. It was a pleasure to talk with him at SCI and dream of an "unguided" African hunt. My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7574 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Damn, and reading some of his exploits, I Always hoped I'll do one of his unguided hunts especially in that tough Equatorial Africa
RIP Cam

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to hear this. My condolences to his family.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I got to know Cam 2 1/2 years ago when he arranged my unguided Cameroon hunt. As a cancer survivor myself I felt for what he went through and we discussed it several times. This really sucks. My sincere condolences to his family...RIP

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13105 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
My friend and I were planning to do one of his Cameroon hunts in the future. RIP

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sorry for the loss.

RIP.

Posts: 1721 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry to hear about Cam's passing. I did one of the unguided buffalo hunts in Cameroon about six years ago and that was an adventure! Without him offering those kinds of adventures it would not have happened for me. It was an entirely different level of safari. Thank you, Cam.

Posts: 1532 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Does anyone know how old he was?

Just turned 61.

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Cam and I had more than a few interesting discussions over the years and he will be missed.

One of Us
Picture of donner
posted Hide Post
RIP we have lost a good man and hunter

Rauma Hunting and Fishing Safaris
www.rauma-jakt-fiskesafari.no

Posts: 619 | Location: åndalsnes Norway | Registered: 05 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cancer is a bitch! Rest in peace Cam!!!!

Posts: 834 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear. RIP

Posts: 1853 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I didn't know him, but wish I had. Deepest sympathy and condolences to family and friends.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Wow, that is terrible to hear. His unguided trips were certainly something I had hoped to experience and link back to safaris of days gone by.

May he find peace and solace in the happy hunting grounds.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best wishes to his family and friends at this sad time, may he hunt on in the big hunting grounds in the sky.................

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Sad to hear that. Always enjoyed his true old world hunting adventures. I wish there were more people around who would post such options and stories.

Condolences to his family.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Cam was one heck of a guy. We did a few shooting/reloading projects together and I was able to spend quite a few memorable times with him.

I was able to work for him in one of his hunting concessions in Cameroon in 2011. That trip is one I will never forget.

Cam was a great guy. He was a gentleman and a hunter through and through.

His devotion to the hunt was amazing. There was nothing in this life that could hold him back. I spoke to him when he was very sick from his cancer treatments. All that he could talk about was how he wanted to get "good enough" to get back out there into the field.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is sad. Condolences to family and friends.

People say we all die, but only some of us ever live.

I think Cam Greig would be a good example of a fellow who lived!

Posts: 688 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Cam truly lived. He once travelled by canoe and walking from Impfondo to Cameroon to escape a civil war in the Republic of Congo, a distance of some 500 miles through the rainforest.

He was able to make one last trip to the rainforest and actually hunted a little from the Pygmy village. He spoke of plans of returning in August and hunting in Pakistan also. I truly believe he died happy to see his beloved rainforest and its people one more time.

Cam at his finest outfitting the hunt in Impfondo

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Damn...fine fellow Cam. I talked to him many times via e-mail over the years. RIP!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36417 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Extremely sorry to hear this. Cam was a very fine hunter and one of the last adventurers.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9846 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I mourn his loss. I never knew him, but he did much for that area. I hope it does not go to waste.

Tears in heaven, brother in arms.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Condolences to his family and friends. RIP.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2253 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's quite a shock. I always dreamed of one day doing one of his DIY hunts. RIP

Posts: 567 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I had pland it also with him...

R.i.P. Cam.

One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
'Sounds like he passed doing what he loved. We can't ask for more. RIP sir.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Cam was a great friend and he had endless energy and enthusiasm for Africa, clearly fearless in his pursuits. I was fortunate to enjoy 10 days at their Bombazi Wilderness ranch in East Cape...think Green Hills of Africa...a spectacular place.
He endured a long battle with Leukemia and later rejection of the stem cell transplant. That didn't slow his enthusiasm for Cameroon, Congo and their ranch in South Africa...he never sat on the couch....Katy Bar the Door...back to his loved Africa.
Cam's brother Brian and other family members will continue to operate Bombazi Wilderness Safaris in South Africa.
Rest in Peace my Friend!! My thoughts and Prayers to the family. He will be missed, his memories will live on.......
Memorial service is at Peninsula Bible Church, Palo Alto, CA, 1PM, tomorrow, Saturday, July 2.
Please PM me for Memorials in lieu of flowers as requested by the family.

Respectfully,
Steve

470EDDY

Posts: 2540 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sad to hear this news. He obviously enjoyed hunting wild places.
AR

Posts: 2532 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
probably the last African old style hunter and explorer. And also a very good friend. Few years ago He stayed at my home here in italy during the hunting show. Every morning he woke at five o clock and went to the bakerie in front of the house for buy bred and croissant for the whole family.

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Mario,

I'll bet I was in camp at Bombazi when he left for that show in Italy....I remember it clearly...and I was still there when he returned too!! Bombazi is really a hidden treasure!!

Most people don't know that Cam was a son of Missionary Bush Doctor family and grew to to High School age in the Bush in Cameroon....and going to local schools with many of the guys that are now leaders in the country. The King where he hunted his personal concession...was a close friend of Cam's parents!!....thus Cam's relationship of recent.....

Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2540 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Cam was in the King's court. This is a picture of Cam, the King, and Cam's good friend at a ceremony in Cameroon a couple of weeks prior to our trip.