THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    ok maybe a stupid question but what the hell

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ok maybe a stupid question but what the hell
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would love to hunt tanz for some plains game and know it is more a big 5 hunt area with plains game added. Has anyone ever hunted there and added a plains game hunter to there hunt? I know the plains game hunt are shorter and you can only hunt certain animals on the shorter licenses.

I was just wondering if a group was already going if adding a guy could be done at a better price the normal for that area?

Posts: 559 | Location: macungie , Pa | Registered: 21 March 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Contact Arjun Reddy on this site for opportunities for plains game only safaris at competitive (for Tanzania) prices. Tanzania has some unique and excellent hunting for PG, it just isn't as affordable as elsewhere in Africa.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you I was thinking of just that seeing his last report just wanted to see if any other options.

I would love a grants ,one of those giant impala ,wildebeest and more maybe 7 animals or so. Would be a dream hunt for sure

Posts: 559 | Location: macungie , Pa | Registered: 21 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tanzania requires that each hunter has their own license. They vary as to what they are by length, but the more desirable PG species are on the 21 day license, the same one that gets you 3 buffalo, a lion, leopard, and elephant. (quota availability is a different matter.) The shorter licenses may have an odd animal or two you want, you will need to talk with the outfit about your desires.

Yes, some outfitters in the past have played games and allowed an odd animal to be shot by an observer but that is not legal...

The pricing of the hunt is based on several things. I think the 21 day license is a few thousand dollars. The quota availability is something else.

I would expect to pay at a minimum for a license and something north of observer rates if you wanted to bring a friend who wants to shoot the odd PG animal.

Really it depends on the area, how many hunters they have been able to book, and quota as to how much money they will charge. Its very individualized. Personally, I think a 15 day buffalo hunt on a 21 day license is probably the way to go. For a big impala, you are talking Masailand/Serengeti areas, and they are high demand. 7 animals is probably getting to the 21 day license, although Grands and Wildebeest are on the shorter ones, IIRC.

Posts: 10573 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Tanzania requires that each hunter has their own license. They vary as to what they are by length, but the more desirable PG species are on the 21 day license, the same one that gets you 3 buffalo, a lion, leopard, and elephant. (quota availability is a different matter.) The shorter licenses may have an odd animal or two you want, you will need to talk with the outfit about your desires.

Yes, some outfitters in the past have played games and allowed an odd animal to be shot by an observer but that is not legal...

The pricing of the hunt is based on several things. I think the 21 day license is a few thousand dollars. The quota availability is something else.

I would expect to pay at a minimum for a license and something north of observer rates if you wanted to bring a friend who wants to shoot the odd PG animal.

Really it depends on the area, how many hunters they have been able to book, and quota as to how much money they will charge. Its very individualized. Personally, I think a 15 day buffalo hunt on a 21 day license is probably the way to go. For a big impala, you are talking Masailand/Serengeti areas, and they are high demand. 7 animals is probably getting to the 21 day license, although Grands and Wildebeest are on the shorter ones, IIRC.

I had a Tommy on a 10 day once. I like your 15 day idea; I did that with Wendell in Kigosi in 2005; another time of uncertainty as we took off just as Katrina hit.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not looking to bend laws or rules but I understand you can get the longer license but hunt a shorter time. I thought when I looked but it was over 2 years ago there was plenty of Plains game animal on the 14 day license and could be hunted on say a 10 day hunt

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:

The pricing of the hunt is based on several things. I think the 21 day license is a few thousand dollars. The quota availability is something else. ...

A few thousand dollars? I recently got quoted North of $80K for a 21 day hunt NOT including the trophy fees in Tanzania.

I think you are forgetting the daily rates in the calculation.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The license itself is a few thousand.

Then you are dealing with the hunting company's business.

Daily rates, etc. are not the license.

Posts: 10573 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The point being, if you have a guy who is booked for the $100,000 hunt and his wife wants to shoot a Tommy and a lesser kudu... they may just say pay the license, the observer daily rate, and TF, and its good. They also may say $30K "plains game package"... depends on how much they need the business and what demand for the hunts there is.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To be honest I was hoping to join in if I found someone who was going and if adding another hunter would help them get a better deal and I get to hunt there because of that and get a fair price maybe my only chance to hunt this place

one of us
posted Hide Post
bcap,

Some Tanzanian operators offer a Companion Hunter booking. It's very much like what you are describing. This allows the person buying a full price safari to bring along a companion who they can split the (1) bag with. On a 14 day EA collection safari to allow all the unique Masailand species the Companion Hunter fee would be less than 25% of the hunter paying full price. Works out nicely for a couple or two friends when both do not want one of everything.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12860 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pierre VonTonder has a very reasonable Masai land Plainsgame hunt and he does a fine job, plenty of animals and good trophies.

I hunted with him in 2018 and have no reservations recommending him.

Posts: 41766 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
There are group hunts offered regularly on here for Botswana and Zambia.

Botswana doesn't offer as many super exotic species beyond in the big game areas of the Okavango, but Zambia has heaps.

Spend some time looking.

I have not seen an affordable plains game only safari in Tanzania in a long time.

You could do something like this, and not shoot a buffalo for about $28,000 door to door.

If you are looking for a gerenuk, lesser kudu and all that stuff I think it will be hard to find a safari in a lower price range.

They just started doing giant forest hog safaris in Ethiopia again. They are 10 days and about $25,000. They used to be about 1/3rd that.

https://pvt-hunting-safaris.co...falo-hunting-safari/

Tanzania Game Trackers has plains game hunts for $33,000 plus trophy fees.
https://www.gametrackersafrica.com/about-us/pricing/

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Can someone please clarify something here.

The way I understand it for Tanzania, a hunter must have a hunting license to be able to hunt.

This licence can be one of any number of days that is on offer.

Without a license, he cannot shoot anything.

Some here are suggesting that a "companion" can shot one or more animals of his choice.

How does that work?

Also, quota for certain desirable animals is rather limited, and my question is how does an outfitter do it, legally??

Only way I can see it happening is if both the hunter and the "companion" both purchase hunting licenses, then split the quota.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had a Tommy on a 10 day once. I like your 15 day idea; I did that with Wendell in Kigosi in 2005; another time of uncertainty as we took off just as Katrina hit.

I don't think that has changed provided the hunt is being conducted where Thomson's are on quota as not all the Masailand areas have them.

The "high dollar" species, i.e. Lesser/Greater Kudu, Gerenuk, Oryx, Roberts Gazelle, etc. will require the "full bag" 21 day license.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Roberts Gazelle,

Just a question for a guy who hunts them... besides the horns turning outward, are there any other defining features of a Roberts vs a Grants?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcap:
I am not looking to bend laws or rules but I understand you can get the longer license but hunt a shorter time. I thought when I looked but it was over 2 years ago there was plenty of Plains game animal on the 14 day license and could be hunted on say a 10 day hunt

You are obliged to buy the license according to the desired package which was, but may have changed slightly in recent times: 10, 16 & 21 days.

The high-dollar species of antelope do not fall into the same category with other PG antelopes
so exclude the idea of legally shooting a Gerenuk on a 10 day license.

It is your time; you are entitled to the days paid for but if the outfitter can afford to discount X days of the daily rate that would be up to him.

Just beware of these enticing "companion hunts" and especially the briefcase operators that offer them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only way I would do the hunt is if I had my own license to do so and would only hunt the animals I can on that license.

As far as I know but I am not 100% sure is if I have animals I want but they are only on say the 16 day license can I still legally hunt only 10 days to keep day fee cost down.

My hope was I could just be an extra hunter in camp help with cost but get a better deal over all on a hunt.

Not really looking at the lesser kudu or gerenuk as would not be in the budget. But a grants and e impala eland wildebeest hartebeest and zebra would be a great hunt to me. This all could just be a dream I never get to do but I figured if I had a chance this would be the site to see and try

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need to find a group or put one together yourself.

All the general bag plains game in Tanzania is enticing.

Tanzania prices not so much.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Coutadas of Mozambique have the same species (almost) as the Selous.

No gazelles though.

One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
My outfitter in Tanzania offers this "Companion Hunter option"

This hunter does have to purchace an additional hunting licence/permit to be able to actually shoot any game.

These permits are:

Regular permit/licence 7-10 days
Major permit/licence 10 days
Premium permit/licence 14-28 days

Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
+44 (0) 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Facebook – Mike Taylor Sporting
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097

Posts: 681 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by miketaylor:

This hunter does have to purchace an additional hunting licence/permit to be able to actually shoot any game.

These permits are:

Premiumum permit/licence 14-28 days

Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
+44 (0) 7930 524 097

What are the prices for these license Mike?

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As far as I know but I am not 100% sure is if I have animals I want but they are only on say the 16 day license can I still legally hunt only 10 days to keep day fee cost down.

Yes, as I mentioned before its your choice to cut it short; the outfitter would be the one losing out on daily rates charges which is really where his "bread & butter" lies and it is up to him to accept what you have in mind.

Strictly speaking, the outfitter is NOT allowed to "hike" the government-regulated Trophy Fees; unfortunately some do and you need to watch out for those who give "super-low and hard to beat" daily rates and then compare their prices on trophy fees.

The "companion hunt" does indeed exist but can be misinterpreted as the so-called companion is later present as an observer once his permit is done and dusted, paying the appropriate fees to both the govt. and outfitter as an observer for the remaining days of his buddy's license and is not permitted to squeeze the trigger, even though he does occasionally. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
the outfitter would be the one losing out on daily rates charges which is really where his "bread & butter" lies and it is up to him to accept what you have in mind.
Big Grin

Yes exactly.

I have asked about hunting 21 days species using a 21 day license on a 7 or 10 day Masailand hunt before and got told "eh, no".

I think that it depends on how the next year rolls out for the virus. The 2008 financial crisis would have been the time to make it happen. A lot of safaris did not go through as people were worried about their investments.

2021 would be a good year to make it happen if it follows that 2008 model.

I am hoping to find a 2021 or 2022 big game buff or croc or hippo hunt for cheap to add to a plainsgame hunt in Namibia or Botswana for then.

If there is a show season next year, that would be the time to make it happen.

One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by miketaylor:

These permits are:

Premium permit/licence 14-28 days

Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
+44 (0) 7930 524 097

What are the prices for these license Mike?

Hi Saeed

Optional exras

Companion hunter:

Regular permit/licence 7-10 days $8,000
Major permit/licence 10 days $10,000
Premium permit/licence 14-28 days $15,000

Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
+44 (0) 7930 524 097

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097

Posts: 681 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:

Same is true of Ferraris or custom rifles

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
quote:
Roberts Gazelle,

Just a question for a guy who hunts them... besides the horns turning outward, are there any other defining features of a Roberts vs a Grants?

Maybe a PH has a different answer- but for me, they looked the same except for the horn shape, namely the lateral curve outwards as opposed to straight to slightly curved in.

You can see mixed groups of them at times- both Robert's and Grant's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:

Same is true of Ferraris or custom rifles

I have yet to talk to any one that had been to multiple African destinations that said that Tanzania was signifigantly better than Ethiopia, Botswana, Zambia, Northern Mozambique, the Caprivi, or Zimbabwe.

I want to go because it is Tanzania, and my entire life people have been singing songs of it's virtues. Hatari, Hemingway and all the romance that goes along with it.

But much like anything hyped to such levels. I am fully aware that my experience might differ.

Tanzania is on my list, but like a second hand Jaguar with a V-12, I am fully aware that it might not be everything I think it will be.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is just me, and I've only hunted in Tanzania and Namibia thus far, but there is a lot to do in Tanzania. And I'll continue to go back. I'm booked for 2021 for yet another trip to Lukwati. I've hunted in the Selous, Simanjiro, Lukwati a couple of times, the Natron area, including Longido, Oldonyo Lengai and along the Pannini River on the Kenyan Border. I buy a 21 day license and hunt 14 to 15 days. I've heard they upped the buffalo to 4 on a 21 day. If you're a buffalo nut like me, the price tag makes sense on a per buffalo basis.

I have a Robert's and a couple of Grant's. Based on everything I've seen, I have a theory. I think the Robert's is basically a sub-species of the Grant's and where they can get together, the Robert's is bred out of existence. The only discernible difference I can see is the horn shape. In 2017, I shot a nice Grant's below the escarpment and a nice Robert's above the escarpment. Other than horn shape, there is very little difference. They now occupy opposing sides of the entry to my dining room.

Posts: 9994 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hanay,

Thank you. Several people have said that the wild areas experience is much better than a game ranch. I would be one that appreciated that. I feel the same way about my sojourns here in the West in the Yellowstone Eco-system, Alaska and Canada versus ranch hunts.

However I was on a 200,000 acre low fence ranch in February for an aoudad hunt, and we had it to ourselves. A bigger game ranch would have that same feeling.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hanay,

Thank you. Several people have said that the wild areas experience is much better than a game ranch.

There is no comparison; I have hunted in Namibia with Jan DuPlessis twice; he has a huge amount of land. Zim has even larger areas that are privately owned and there is good hunting there too. But nothing compares to a tented camp in Tanz (or perhaps Zambia; never hunted there).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hope to find out as I loved Namibia and the wide opened unfenced land was even ok on some huge fenced areas. Tanz or Zambia are just place I hope to see and get to hunt even if just on short hunts

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But nothing compares to a tented camp in Tanz

Especially those on a river bank with a jaw-bone of a Hippo as a toilet seat. Big Grin

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Just the knowledge that you are actually hunting wild animals, with no fences, is enough to make this a no contest.

I don’t care how big the farm is, if it has a fence, it is not wild.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
quote:
But nothing compares to a tented camp in Tanz

Especially those on a river bank with a jaw-bone of a Hippo as a toilet seat. Big Grin

George Adamson used an elephant jaw

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9860 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Hanay,

Thank you. Several people have said that the wild areas experience is much better than a game ranch.

There is no comparison; I have hunted in Namibia with Jan DuPlessis twice; he has a huge amount of land. Zim has even larger areas that are privately owned and there is good hunting there too. But nothing compares to a tented camp in Tanz (or perhaps Zambia; never hunted there).

I will take you to the Luangwa valley and Kafue Flats for your first taste of Zambia.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
The trouble with very remote places is the cost of charters. Places that take me two days to drive.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
quote:
Hanay,

I will take you to the Luangwa valley and Kafue Flats for your first taste of Zambia.

I need to take you up on that idea...maybe 2021??

Picture of Hasheem 1980
posted Hide Post
Bcap,

If you only want to do a Plains Game hunt you can talk to Me as well and we can make a plan and see what we can do for you. It is definately do able and all depending on what species you want or are looking at we work it according to that!

Hope this helps and get in touch and lets see if we can make your dreams of hunting there reality for You.

Posts: 17 | Location: Dar Es Salaam  | Registered: 16 December 2021Reply With Quote