THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    LOOKING FOR GUIDANCE ON REPLACEMENT CAMERA

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LOOKING FOR GUIDANCE ON REPLACEMENT CAMERA
 Login/Join

One Of Us
posted
Looking for guidance. We are out cruising on Australia, Kimberly and got hit in a severe thunderstorm while out on Zodiacs. My V-LUX 3 is inop at this point, even though camera was put in sealed plastic bag and protected under my hat!!...salt water and rain!!... and I had experienced same after a little coffee was spilled on the camera 3-4 years ago...and it never focused at long settings after Leica replaced the Mother Board....after a 3 month wait and much argument the board was not replaceable and they wanted to "give" me a replacement V-LUX 4 at $850!!-WARRANTY EXPIRED. I prevailed but not sure I won??
I know the V-LUX 4 is out there but I don't think it is any more waterproof than the -3??
I am not sure after the hassle with Leica US Customer Service and cost vs warranty... $300 for repair, that I want to stick with Leica for replacement?
I have looked at the Lumix DC FZ 80 and FZ 1000k 4K which is almost a duplicate of the V-Lux and has a Leica lens. What do you think of those and IS IT WATERPROOF, it comes up on a list of waterproof cameras when Googled?
Another comparable is the Sony Cy-Bor-Shot DCS Rx10. What do you think about that model? Is it Waterproof? WiFi connection?
I bought the V-LUX 3 at the recommendations and talk about it on AR. The recommendation covered the Panasonic FZ 80 at the time if you didn't want to dazzle friends!!
I am looking for a replacement quickly and want a point and shoot, 20mm-400mm +- lens, WATERPROOF and WiFi connection that uses rechargeable battery, not AAA batteries as some do now.
I am sure there must be others out there that I am not familiar with. Seems that a good Safari camera should be water proof...and fairly husky and tolerates some dust and dirt...which I think waterproof might help??
I would certainly appreciate input both positive and negative on what's new and out there to consider for replacement. We are nearing Singapore soon so can shop there...2 weeks of safari after arrival in Capetown>>
Happy New Year to all and I appreciate your advice and guidance.
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2559 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
There is no waterproof camera that has the zoom range you would like to have.

Second, forget Leica. They remark Panasonic cameras and sell them at a premium under their own label.

Practically all cameras you buy today have wifi connection.

The Sony RX10 is a fantastic camera - better than any Leica - Panasonic - right now.

It is not waterproof.

For a pocket camera, I have been using the Sony HX99. It has a zoom to 720mm.

The RX10 has a zoom to 600mm.

The RX10 takes much better pictures - but, it is a much bigger camera, and uses a bigger sensor.

I used both the Rx10 and HX99 in the Alps last month, and was very happy with both.

Bottom line is, there is no waterproof camera that has the zoom you require.

If you must have a waterproof camera, I suggest you look at Nikon underwater cameras.

WE have used all underwater cameras - non has a long zoom, by the way - and from what is currently available, Nikon seems to offer the best one.

If you are going to be in wet conditions, and cost is not a major objection, I suggest you get an underwater camera to carry in your pocket and use in the field, and something like the Sony RX10 in your camera bag for better pictures whenj conditions allow.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66934 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you make it to Bangkok - go to stream trail and get their water proof bags. They are awesome.

http://streamtrail.net

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Saeed, Thank you for your excellent advice and guidance. I have looked at several reviews out on the internet on the Sony RX10 and it really looks great. One of the reviews actually said is is "weather sealed" so it may well be resistant to some morsture and dust/dirt for hunting applications.
I asked Doug at Cameraland who posts regularly on AR, and I purchased my most recent set of binos from...they have suggested I look at the OLYMPUS E-M10 Mark 2 with the 14-150mm lens (28-300mm in 35 mm parlance), a compact SLR with a huge sensor and is image stabilized. It is also weather sealed and can take some moisture, dust/dirt and shake it off. The lenses are removable and for abut another $400 he is suggesting a second lens that will take it out to 600mm...
I have had my V-Lux 3 sitting in a bag of dry rice now for 24 hours and it still doesn't light up at all?? Probably toast and wouldn't be worth even putting it on the bench to try to resurrect it!!
Our next major port is Singapore and I will go camera shopping there...maybe some good pricing and duty free for exports...
Thank you for your input.
WOW, I will say that in the general public in Australia that the mention of Hunting, like their own Roos and Water Buffalo is almost like a Fart in Church...they are actually defensive about the mention...I have never seen this before!!....this is more the on the street folks...some of the Pearl farm managers and our coastal pilot who is also a Vineyard owner take a different look at it from protecting their crops.... that said, I am worried about our sport in the eyes of general populace!!
Wishing you a HAPPY, HEALTHY and Prosperous New Year and Great Hunting!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2559 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Singapore should be a great place to get good prices on cameras.

I suggest you actually try the Olympus before you buy it.

I had one years ago, and was not too happy about it.

If I was going to get an SLR, I would limit my choice to Nikon, Canon, Sony and may be Panasonic.

But, this my personal choice.

Best of luck.

Posts: 66934 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
If you want a Waterproof point and shoot camera, then you want a Nikon Coolpix W300. If you want a 'real" water proof camera go on Ebay and purchase an Nikonos, but they are film cameras.

Those Leica's you are looking are just rebadged Panasonics. If you want a "real" Leica get an "M" or SL

Posts: 752 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aren't true waterproof housings available for most standard cameras?

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9557 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:

Yes.

But, they are very bulky, and very expensive.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:

Yes.

But, they are very bulky, and very expensive.

Sounds like the OP wants to be able to go swimming with his, and replacing expensive cameras is also expensive. I knew some folks that used housings for regular 35mm cameras years ago when I was diving, and they certainly weren't handy but to use when the risk is high one might be the solution.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9557 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually I still have my old NIKONOS true underwater camera... it does not have changeable lesnes and is pretty bulky for carrying as a hunting camera!!
I don't need an Underwater camera which these days they call waterproof...
I just need one for hunting and boating that isn't trashed with a few drops of rain or a splash of salt water... "weather resistant" and some manufactures call it weather sealed.
Yes, Saeed, I will be on a Camera Safari in Singapore instead of Peking Duck lunch....or Singapore Sling at Raffles!!
I appreciate the input from all!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I have an older version of one of these:

https://4k4less.com/olympus-po...QIX7AXEaAoVTEALw_wcB

They are waterproof, GPS and are excellent for pocket carry. Mine takes a beating and keeps on ticking.

~Ann

Posts: 19150 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of emron
posted Hide Post
this may do the job:

Sony RX0 1.0"-Type Sensor Ultra-Compact Waterproof/Shockproof Camera B&H # SORX0 MFR # DSC-RX0

Posts: 396 | Location: usa | Registered: 26 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
I have found Ken Rockwells homepage very informative when buying cameras or lenses.

https://kenrockwell.com/tech/best-camera.htm

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I own the Nikon Coolpix AW300. It is "relatively" waterproof, meaning it can stand total immersion at shallow depths. You cannot go scuba diving with it.

More importantly, the fixed lens and the poor image quality (and no RAW file capability) make it a mediocre choice for excellent pictures. It's use is pretty much limited to my wife on her kayak. Most of the consumer cameras are not really waterproof, just more or less "weather sealed".

But there are underwater housings for small cameras. These add bulk and complicate using the camera controls. If you are going down the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon and want to take pictures while going through Lava Falls (hold on!) then you wouldn't want anything less.

https://www.ikelite.com/collec...ngs-for-sony-cameras

Canon sold a small underwater housing for the little "S" cameras, and I have one. Works great, you can dive with the camera or leave it around you neck while surfing if you want. I haven't looked at any of Canon's current offerings:

https://www.canon.co.uk/for_ho...rshot/powershot_d30/

http://deepshots.co.uk/blog/20...and-wp-dc55-housing/

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a TG 5 and it takes excellent photos in addition to being waterproof and tough....hence, the name.

I bought a Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS200 per Saeed's recommendation and it takes incredibly good photos. Not waterproof but mine got pretty well soaked on a fishing trip a few weeks ago and didn't miss a beat. 15X zoom, I think.

quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
I have an older version of one of these:

https://4k4less.com/olympus-po...QIX7AXEaAoVTEALw_wcB

They are waterproof, GPS and are excellent for pocket carry. Mine takes a beating and keeps on ticking.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15052 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Olympus you mention and several Zuiko PRO lenses. They are excellent. Micro 4/3, small, light, great build quality, great images, with more features than you need but the options are there if you want to use them. Weather sealed but not water proof. The Olympus PEN F is also an excellent choice. Smaller, lighter but with most of the same features. Great camera.

quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
Hello Saeed, Thank you for your excellent advice and guidance. I have looked at several reviews out on the internet on the Sony RX10 and it really looks great. One of the reviews actually said is is "weather sealed" so it may well be resistant to some morsture and dust/dirt for hunting applications.
I asked Doug at Cameraland who posts regularly on AR, and I purchased my most recent set of binos from...they have suggested I look at the OLYMPUS E-M10 Mark 2 with the 14-150mm lens (28-300mm in 35 mm parlance), a compact SLR with a huge sensor and is image stabilized. It is also weather sealed and can take some moisture, dust/dirt and shake it off. The lenses are removable and for abut another $400 he is suggesting a second lens that will take it out to 600mm...
I have had my V-Lux 3 sitting in a bag of dry rice now for 24 hours and it still doesn't light up at all?? Probably toast and wouldn't be worth even putting it on the bench to try to resurrect it!!
Our next major port is Singapore and I will go camera shopping there...maybe some good pricing and duty free for exports...
Thank you for your input.
WOW, I will say that in the general public in Australia that the mention of Hunting, like their own Roos and Water Buffalo is almost like a Fart in Church...they are actually defensive about the mention...I have never seen this before!!....this is more the on the street folks...some of the Pearl farm managers and our coastal pilot who is also a Vineyard owner take a different look at it from protecting their crops.... that said, I am worried about our sport in the eyes of general populace!!
Wishing you a HAPPY, HEALTHY and Prosperous New Year and Great Hunting!!
Cheers,

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15052 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Thanks much for the newsletter link, very informative!!
Gentlemen...thanks fo much for all of your input. I think I have boiled things down to the Olympus Rx-10...probably III vs the newest IV....$400 price difference and I am not sure I like the BIG screen which will burn battery??
I will take a look at the Olympus models mentioned, and only the Lumix if the others are not available during my one day in Singapore!!
Does anyone have any recommendations or referrals for great camera shops in Singapore...that will sell Duty/Tax Free and provide an International Warranty?
FYI, Leica Tech Dept has been non-responsive to more questions than how to open the camera at my own risk to see if I can salvage it...they don't seem to be interested in convincing me to stick with Leica??!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Eddy,

If you are on Whatsapp, PM me your phone number and I will send you full resolutions photos I took this morning before sunrise of the Dubai skyline, from a shaky boat.

I really am impressed with the Sony RX10 IV.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After using Leica's, Sony's & Nikon's I came to the conclusion that as a pocket camera my iPhone 8 does the same job very well. These days I hardly unpack my other cameras and use exclusively the phone camera.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Phone cameras are absolutely fantastic in quality.

They are very good for casual photos.

But, they are totally useless as serious cameras.

Especially for travel.

When they have 20-30x optical zoom, I might consider leaving my pocket camera home.

I will still use a decent camera for seriously good photos.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
WA LA!!
We spent the day of January 16th in beautiful Singapore moored at the new Harbor Cruise Terminal under the cable car to Sentosa Island.
I purchased a Sony RX10 series III. WOW!! what a great camera...it is a real heavy duty compared to the Leica V-LUX 3 I was using. Very simple to get cranked up and running and connected Blue Tooth and WiFi to my cellphone.
Pricing was good, about comparable to AMAZON on line which I didn't have access to....I did get SHAFTED by the store on the extra battery, protective filter, and High Speed SD Card...I am working on that.
At first it was bulky and heavy but after a few days I am getting used to the feel and actually think it will be a much more stable platform to use.
I could have also purchased the Series IV, however $700 more...I didn't see the increased sensitivity of auto focus to be a great advantage for me....??
I want to thank all of you for your very helpful input. I will post some photos of my Roan/Puku safari coming up late February.
Cheers,

470EDDY