THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Media starting to morph hunting and poaching?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Media starting to morph hunting and poaching?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has any one else noticed instances where the media is starting to use the term hunting, when the correct term should be poaching?

I've heard a few examples recently. Today, while driving back from the airport I was listening to NPR. A story came on about dwindling chimpanzee numbers in Kenya and the reporter cited loss of habitat and "hunting" as the two largest contributors to their decline.

I'm pretty sure they meant poaching, as I don't know many folks that hunt chimps.

Like I said, I've heard a few more examples recently and I'm not convinced it isn't deliberate.

Posts: 485 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
That's been the case for years really. I'm not sure the uniformed or misinformed masses know there's a difference, or for that matter, care that there is a difference. To them, killing is killing and they view legal hunting as something that shouldn't be legal, hence all the legislative attempts to make it illegal.

Frustrating though isn't it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its that way with a lot of things. One of my pet peeves is their use of the term Democratic Party. It is not the democratic party...both parties are democratic, it is the democrat party. Mad

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It happened about the same time the progressive liberal media started referring to the weather as global warming.

Tell a lie long enough and the Useful Idiots will become indoctrinated.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
That's been the case for years really. I'm not sure the uniformed or misinformed masses know there's a difference, or for that matter, care that there is a difference. To them, killing is killing and they view legal hunting as something that shouldn't be legal, hence all the legislative attempts to make it illegal.

Echoed! ^

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36483 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

Echoed! ^

All very true.

Unfortunately there isn't a strong voice in the media to present any other view than that so it continues on unabated.

The anti's have also very tactfully taken on the term "conservation" to describe their actions and since they yell the loudest they get heard. Most of the public is familiar with this term but aren't familiar with its true meaning which of course is what sportsman have long meant it to be science based conservation.

We as a group really need to get off this stupid republican/democrat nonsense. There ARE hunters and supporters of hunting in both ranks and they need to be courted. If anyone can't understand that wildlife conservation isn't a one party concept than we have already lost the battle.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2789 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's nothing new; in some cases probably out of ignorance, but there is very little news these days, just op-ed, and very little of it is on our side.

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ijl:
It's nothing new; in some cases probably out of ignorance, but there is very little news these days, just op-ed, and very little of it is on our side.

100%

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36483 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote