New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poor Old Africa..
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chloroquine is still available (at least it was two months ago) in Namibia and I have 6 courses of it sitting in our office. Unfortunately, it is sitting in our office, and I am not. Trying to source more now but most likely it is all gone.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
quote:
Trying to source chloroquine. Turns out chloroquine is not easily available in zim.

It is no longer available most anywhere nowadays, ever since the introduction of other Malaria prophylactics.

I am told Indian pharmaceutical companies have begun re-manufacturing.

I remember those days when the tablets were stored in large airtight jars and sold loose over the counter (no prescription required).

If it truly works against CV-19 then Chloroquine will be a Godsend.

It was available in India and dirt cheap - like sub 1c.

Back in the good old days - 2010-2011 - when one could buy anything in India without a script - I bought $10 worth. I also bought all the other malaria medicines. I think I left them behind in zim or
Moz.

Guys from zim where calling asking me to get someone from
India to send them.

Can’t any more - Indian govt has restricted it.

If it works - trillions of pills can be made very fast.

Let’s hope it works.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
Originally posted by AilsaWheels:
quote:
From the science and stats I see...I doubt it will have much impact on Africa at all.

Do you think it is heat/humidity, genetic, or something else that will keep Africa from being impacted hard.

The average daily temps will be going the wrong way in the Southern Hemisphere pretty soon.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
From the stats and science I am seeing...I doubt this will have much impact on Africa...except for lack of tourism...which in itself will be big.

I beg to differ. Africa will get hammered simply because the healthcare system there is pitiful and will be quickly overwhelmed. The disease growth rate is exponential. Two cases today ,4 tomorrow, 16 the next day and so on. Zim has about 50 ICU beds in the entire country with a population north of 14+ million. RSA not much better. Not to mention the fact that at least 25-35% of the population of sub Saharan Africa is immunocompromised with HIV. A recipe for disaster.... Eeker

We’ll see who is right in the end. My point is that Africa likely has been highly exposed some time ago and if it were going to go there...it likely would have already taken off.

Experts are already speculating why it has NOT as all who keep up know China likely exposed them heavily early on.

Theories as to why it hasn’t taken off in Africa:

1) average daily temp
2) wide spread use of anti-malarials
3) possible immunity from prevous exposure to this or a very similar virus from bushmeat.

Vic Falls has had one positive case but it is in an Englishman who caught it in Europe and came to Vic Falls with it.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1281 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Looks like things are getting worse in South Africa.

https://www.npr.org/sections/c...into-3-week-lockdown

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2286 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Considering that they are doing very little testing and many of the rural population has no access to the healthcare system, I would suspect it is MUCH worse than the numbers are indicating at the moment.

Now riots are breaking out as the police attempt to enforce the curfew.

Never underestimate the power of mass hysteria.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
Considering that they are doing very little testing and many of the rural population has no access to the healthcare system, I would suspect it is MUCH worse than the numbers are indicating at the moment.

Now riots are breaking out as the police attempt to enforce the curfew.

Never underestimate the power of mass hysteria.

Same here...I think that there is going to be Millions dead in Africa

Tragic for man but probably good for the wildlife, sad to say

Posts: 973 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 November 2019Reply With Quote