New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poor Old Africa..
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What will become of her when Covid-19 spread like wildfire..?

Given the almost non-existent healtcare compared to the western world this can only spell disaster.

I have come to love this continent and I am very very worried.

Your thoughts..??

Posts: 3964 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pondoro:
What will become of her when Covid-19 spread like wildfire..?

Given the almost non-existent healtcare compared to the western world this can only spell disaster.

I have come to love this continent and I am very very worried.

Your thoughts..??

Africa has survived many past disasters.

It will deal with it.

The stupidity of the rest of the world, and all the panic right now is only caused by the media!

Thousand are dying every day from normal flu.

No one cares.

A few dead of this and everyone is up in arms!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66768 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
We will eat that virus for breakfast.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9846 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

The stupidity of the rest of the world, and all the panic right now is only caused by the media!

No one cares.

I think part of the caution is the fact that there is no immunizations, and it seems to be much more contagious than the flu.

Not to mention the mortality rate in the elderly seems to be around 15-20% which is also much higher than the flu.

People do bring up death rates of TB, AIDS, Malaria etc. around the world where this seems to be miniscule but those rates are not that high in developed countries. I can't remember the last news article of someone dying of Malaria in the USA. People panic about what effects them and this seems to effect developing countries at this time, so they panic.

Personally, I think some of the reactions are ridiculous. I still don't understand why people are concerned about toilet paper so much.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanks:
quote:

No one cares.

I think part of the caution is the fact that there is no immunizations, and it seems to be much more contagious than the flu.

Not to mention the mortality rate in the elderly seems to be around 15-20% which is also much higher than the flu.

People do bring up death rates of TB, AIDS, Malaria etc. around the world where this seems to be miniscule but those rates are not that high in developed countries. I can't remember the last news article of someone dying of Malaria in the USA. People panic about what effects them and this seems to effect developing countries at this time, so they panic.

Personally, I think some of the reactions are ridiculous. I still don't understand why people are concerned about toilet paper so much.

Develop-Ed countries should stop weaponizing viruses!

Posts: 66768 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
Do you really think this was a lab developed virus that escaped?

People were saying that it escaped from a lab at Wuhan and it turned out to be a hoax.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

People were saying that it escaped from a lab at Wuhan and it turned out to be a hoax.

May be it did not escape!

It was released on purpose??!!

How come China has a vaccine already??

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
Anything we say at this point is conjecture. I had not heard that they already had a vaccine from any news sources. Your source?

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

May be it did not escape!

It was released on purpose??!!

How come China has a vaccine already??

Would you take the vaccine?

I’d be willing to bet a lot of people won’t. The conspiracist says: you are going to get me sick and then you want me to trust you to inject me with a vaccine??

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:

You are the Man. I have not doubt that your words are true!

Posts: 1532 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scruffy:
quote:

You are the Man. I have no doubt that your words are true!

Posts: 1532 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Africa is a young continent. If you're 50-60 years old in most countries, you have already exceeded the national life expectancy.

But such a young average age among the population just means that people get old faster, not that there are no old people. And the COVID 19 mortality rate is highest among the old, infirm and immunocompromised.

I shudder to think how many deaths there may be across the continent before this pandemic plays out. I'm afraid that, after COVID-19 is through with her, Africa's average age will be even younger.

We need a vaccine, fast.

Stay healthy and strong.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Africa is a young continent. If you're 50-60 years old in most countries, you have already exceeded the national life expectancy.

But such a young average age among the population just means that people get old faster, not that there are no old people. And the COVID 19 mortality rate is highest among the old, infirm and immunocompromised.

I shudder to think how many deaths there may be across the continent before this pandemic plays out. I'm afraid that, after COVID-19 is through with her, Africa's average age will be even younger.

We need a vaccine, fast.

Stay healthy and strong.

AIDS kills 'em faster over there than COVID ever will. Funny thing is the general populus over there doesn't care.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You nave to think about AIDS as the underlying condition and COVID 19 on top of that. That equals quick(er) death. And there are lots of other underlying conditions about which we can say the same thing. Pretty awful to think about.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If this catches hold in Africa I believe it has the potential of killing Millions of people who as Mike just said are already compromised by HIV or AIDS.

Posts: 973 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 November 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wouldn't that be classified
as: a clean up virus then?

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:

George

Just imagine if we can get a virus that targets and affects only politicians, lawyers, religious zealots and bankers!

I will be happy to pay for developing it. clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

George

Just imagine if we can get a virus that targets and affects only politicians, lawyers, religious zealots and bankers!

100%!!! Just add criminals to the listWink

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not be at all surprised if China had released a weaponized virus they had developed as a test of what it would do and how the world would react to it.

They are filthy bastards.

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a theory going around that widespread use of malaria prophylactics is keeping COVID 19 infections low in southern Africa.

It seems to have a curative, and perhaps a preventive, effect, especially when coupled with Z-MAX antibiotics.

I'm still skeptical, but I sure as hell hope it's true and this therapy proves to be effective.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WY:
I would not be at all surprised if China had released a weaponized virus they had developed as a test of what it would do and how the world would react to it.

Ding, ding, ding.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:

We need a vaccine, fast.

Stay healthy and strong.

AIDS kills 'em faster over there than COVID ever will. Funny thing is the general populus over there doesn't care.

Bush 43 focused extensively on AIDS in Africa. The medicines and clinics have been maintained for the past 12-15 years. While AIDS is certainly still around, there are medicines and HIV specific clinics that specialize in the treatment.

First world medicines are used in Africa just like in America. Just like you don't hear much about AIDS in America much anymore, AIDS in the areas of Africa I am familiar with are way down, and individuals are able to live fairly normal lives. Perhaps there are still issues in large cities.

This is no longer the Africa of the 80's-90's.

Regarding this Wuhan virus. The lack of beds, PPE, ventilators, trained personnel could make this a very sad 12-18 months.

Until a vaccine is made, hopefully chloroquine will save many lives.

Posts: 800 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

George

Where do I send my contribution!?

Posts: 558 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
tanks
one of us

posted 26 March 2020 09:01
Looks like Zim is in trouble.

Agreed, not looking good for Zim with CV only just taking hold now. I know some very good guys there. I believe they are in self quarantine now. Praying they come out the other side unscathed 'cos they can't expect any meaningful medical support if they contract CV-19.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1994 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
quote:
tanks
one of us

Agreed, not looking good for Zim with CV only just taking hold now. I know some very good guys there. I believe they are in self quarantine now. Praying they come out the other side unscathed 'cos they can't expect any meaningful medical support if they contract CV-19.

I don’t think that it is going to last long there...it’s going to go through the population like wildfire, killing millions of people and then disappear

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don’t think that it is going to last long there...it’s going to go through the population like wildfire, killing millions of people and then disappear

Yes, I too think it could / will be hard hitting and rapid. Most won't even get to hospital and those that do will only be getting only a softer bed to die on. Any of the Zim elite class still within Zim ( the individuals usually getting medical services outside Zim ) must be starting to feel real fear about now.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1994 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alfredo C:
quote:
quote:
tanks
one of us

Then I wonder who will move in...any guesses?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:
Originally posted by Alfredo C:
quote:
quote:
tanks
one of us

Then I wonder who will move in...any guesses?

I don’t think that it will kill everyone there but you t will kill many

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:

Because for everyone declared suffering from Covid-19 five others shit themselves Smiler

Posts: 3827 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scruffy:
quote:

You are the Man. I have not doubt that your words are true!

………………… I hope to hell, it is true, because clinics are rare in the out back of Africa. Thousands of people have died already, and this might just be the preview of coming attractions!

Pray for the innocent little children of Africa's bush country where people from other countries come to their villages to take pictures, and hand out candy to the kids !

......……...…….Pray for the innocent! old MacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
From the science and stats I see...I doubt it will have much impact on Africa at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36417 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem with southern Africa is they are not broadly testing and are only reporting the numbers that enter their hospitals. RSA just reported 900 confirmed cases. The number of actual cases could be (and probably is) exponentially higher. With more than 7 million of the population infected with AIDS/HIV, they will be dropping like flies within months.

It will be grim "if" COVID takes off there.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Part of my point. China moves huge amounts of laborers back and forth from countries like Zim--freely.

It should have already taken off if it was going to.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36417 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
From the science and stats I see...I doubt it will have much impact on Africa at all.

Do you think it is heat/humidity, genetic, or something else that will keep Africa from being impacted hard.

Posts: 800 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AilsaWheels:
quote:

Do you think it is heat/humidity, genetic, or something else that will keep Africa from being impacted hard.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
From the stats and science I am seeing...I doubt this will have much impact on Africa...except for lack of tourism...which in itself will be big.

I beg to differ. Africa will get hammered simply because the healthcare system there is pitiful and will be quickly overwhelmed. The disease growth rate is exponential. Two cases today ,4 tomorrow, 16 the next day and so on. Zim has about 50 ICU beds in the entire country with a population north of 14+ million. RSA not much better. Not to mention the fact that at least 25-35% of the population of sub Saharan Africa is immunocompromised with HIV. A recipe for disaster.... Eeker

We’ll see who is right in the end. My point is that Africa likely has been highly exposed some time ago and if it were going to go there...it likely would have already taken off.

Experts are already speculating why it has NOT as all who keep up know China likely exposed them heavily early on.

Theories as to why it hasn’t taken off in Africa:

1) average daily temp
2) wide spread use of anti-malarials
3) possible immunity from prevous exposure to this or a very similar virus from bushmeat.

Vic Falls has had one positive case but it is in an Englishman who caught it in Europe and came to Vic Falls with it.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AilsaWheels:
quote:

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
From the stats and science I am seeing...I doubt this will have much impact on Africa...except for lack of tourism...which in itself will be big.

I beg to differ. Africa will get hammered simply because the healthcare system there is pitiful and will be quickly overwhelmed. The disease growth rate is exponential. Two cases today ,4 tomorrow, 16 the next day and so on. Zim has about 50 ICU beds in the entire country with a population north of 14+ million. RSA not much better. Not to mention the fact that at least 25-35% of the population of sub Saharan Africa is immunocompromised with HIV. A recipe for disaster.... Eeker

We’ll see who is right in the end. My point is that Africa likely has been highly exposed some time ago and if it were going to go there...it likely would have already taken off.

Experts are already speculating why it has NOT as all who keep up know China likely exposed them heavily early on.

Theories as to why it hasn’t taken off in Africa:

1) average daily temp
2) wide spread use of anti-malarials
3) possible immunity from prevous exposure to this or a very similar virus from bushmeat.

Vic Falls has had one positive case but it is in an Englishman who caught it in Europe and came to Vic Falls with it.

White zims I know are worried.

Moving families from Harare to empty hunting camps to socially isolate.

Trying to source chloroquine. Turns out chloroquine is not easily available in zim.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
And panic makes it likely reality?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And panic makes it likely reality?

Only reality is people are flying blind. There is no testing or any medical infrastructure in zim beyond a few private hospitals in a country in 10 plus mil.

Not a country I want to get sick in. Hopefully this covid passes Africa by. But that is me
wishing.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trying to source chloroquine. Turns out chloroquine is not easily available in zim.

It is no longer available most anywhere nowadays, ever since the introduction of other Malaria prophylactics.

I am told Indian pharmaceutical companies have begun re-manufacturing.

I remember those days when the tablets were stored in large airtight jars and sold loose over the counter (no prescription required).

If it truly works against CV-19 then Chloroquine will be a Godsend.

Posts: 1869 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote