THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Berger Bullets… Love ‘em or Hate ‘em for Africa?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Berger Bullets… Love ‘em or Hate ‘em for Africa?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Curious about your love - hate relationship with Berger bullets for Africa. Seems whenever someone asks for a bullet recommendation the responses are Barnes, Swift, etc. Anyone here ever taken and used Bergers to Africa? Seen them used by someone else in camp? What was your experience? Thanks!

Posts: 59 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 10 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I’ve used Berger VLD Bullets on whitetails. On longer shots (200+ yards) they’re highly accurate and deadly. But on closer range (50- yards) I’ve had them blow up just beneath the surface of the deer’s hide and fail to penetrate enough to be fatal. Massive blood trail, but no recovered deer. I hit a massive 10 point buck at 35 yards with a Berger VLD, and although he initially fell within 100 yards and bled profusely, we tracked him for several miles and ultimately lost him in an impenetrable swamp. Last time I used Bergers on deer.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
If you mean the normal Match Berger bullets, my experience might be relevant.

Years ago I went hunting with Sierra Match King bullets.

I was curious how they would perform.

The rifle was my own built 30/404.

It has a very long barrel, and I was getting around 3480 fps from 180 grain bullets.

I shot everything with them.

Range was from 15 yards to almost 500 yards.

Everything died with one shot.

Some jackets were recovered.

At the closer range they blew up, but still killed the animal.

We were hunting in South Africa on farms.

I would not use them, by choice, hunting anywhere else.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66911 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Much is made about the cost of bullets and which one is better. A bullet is the most important aspect of your $$$$ hunt and costs $.

So use the best you can as everything hinges on it after good shot placement.

From what I have read I will use Bergers on paper! The rest of the world can use them on anything else they wish!

Arjun

Posts: 2536 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen video ads of berger bullets and they show they are supposed to fragment in the body and not exit. Exit wounds are nice for blood trails.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have a short list of bullets I use for African hunting, and Bergers are not on it.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13379 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love them as a target bullet. I use a lot of them.

As far as Africa goes, I’d shoot dassies or baboon with them. They are a varmint bullet in my mind, with their performance characteristics. Pretty unusual for a US Hunter to go there just for that.

If you want to eat the animal or have taxidermy, they are too destructive IMO.

I know some like them as a hunting bullet, and suspect they give a higher percentage of one shot stops to the shot, but not for me.

Posts: 10578 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the unfortunate task of testing Berger bullets in a matched McMillan rifle in Mozambique. .300 win mag. While everything died I was less than impressed and almost lost a huge reedbuck due to bullet failure. The rifle was designed for 1000 yard shots and everything about it was wrong for Africa bullet scope etc. Kelly did not like to hear that at least the buffalo rifle had better bullets. Agree that they are a good long range target or thin skinned bullet. Not for Africa inmo

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2846 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are in the camp that determines bullet performance based on the recovered bullet's condition Bergers are not for you. Ask a Berger user to show you his recovered bullets. You'll probably hear a lot of crickets. They are bombs and explode like a hand grenade. Broadside shot at 450 yards probably DRT. 100 yards going away no shot.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12861 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Berger makes some great bullets, and right now, they can be hard to come by. There's also a history of performance on big game for the .30 caliber Berger hybrids, particularly the 215 grain version. I'd have no concern using those or any of the 200+ grain hybrids hunting big game, although that is not their original purpose. Check out the long range hunting and Rokslide forums for a start, but there's plenty more out there if you want to look for it.

If you don't want to use Berger bullets, there are great alternatives (perhaps less so for very long range applications).

Posts: 661 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I shot a pronghorn antelope a few years ago with a 140 grain Berger Hunting VLD bullet loaded to 3,100 fps in my .270 WSM.

I wobbled the wrong way and hit him in the neck at 285 yards.

The bullet damned nearly blew his head off! Not even a spine shot, but he dropped like a stone, with a massive bleeding hole in his throat, and never moved again.

As far as I could tell, the bullet vaporized.

Pronghorns are super light when it comes to big game.

The Berger is not a bullet I want to use hunting large, tough African game animals. Maybe the smaller antelopes and gazelles only.

But even with them, I can't imagine what would happen at close to moderate ranges.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13379 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
I shot a pronghorn antelope a few years ago with a 140 grain Berger Hunting VLD bullet loaded to 3,100 fps in my .270 WSM.

I wobbled the wrong way and hit him in the neck at 285 yards.

The bullet damned nearly blew his head off! Not even a spine shot, but he dropped like a stone, with a massive bleeding hole in his throat, and never moved again.

As far as I could tell, the bullet vaporized.

Pronghorns are super light when it comes to big game.

The Berger is not a bullet I want to use hunting large, tough African game animals. Maybe the smaller antelopes and gazelles only.

But even with them, I can't imagine what would happen at close to moderate ranges.

I think everyone should use the gear they are most comfortable with. I’m just conveying that there are a bunch of folks, who like you have tested their rifle and Berger ammo set ups on big game. A ton of elk and mule deer have been successfully taken without any drama with .30 cal Berger hybrids. That’s North American big game. And although I wouldn’t use them on any type of thick skinned dangerous game, I’d have no problem using Berger hybrids on African plains game. But I certainly understand how someone else might prefer a different type of bullet. I’ve used CEBs exclusively the last few safaris, but I was hunting with a 404 and after a wide array of game, always including DG. Lots of excellent choices available to us these days.

Posts: 661 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mstewart44:
Curious about your love - hate relationship with Berger bullets for Africa. Seems whenever someone asks for a bullet recommendation the responses are Barnes, Swift, etc. Anyone here ever taken and used Bergers to Africa? Seen them used by someone else in camp? What was your experience? Thanks!

I don’t understand why someone would spend tens of thousands of dollars for a Safari and take a chance on bullet failure when there are so many excellent bullets available. In Africa I use either Swift A-frame or Woodleighs. No worries!

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the best killing bullet available for the type of game I will hunt. It increases the cost of my $ 20,000 hunt about $150 including load development.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
I use the best killing bullet available for the type of game I will hunt. It increases the cost of my $ 20,000 hunt about $150 including load development.

Exactly.

And right now, there is absolutely nothing better than copper hollow point bullets.

Especially in very high velocity rifles.

Solid shank bullets like the Bear Claws are very close seconds.

Then the partition type, although in my experience they do seem to like high velocities, as they shed their rear parts.

Posts: 66911 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Match accuracy for varmints or later I’ll take a Berger.

I will never shoot one at a game animal.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1027 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I cannot think of any circumstance under which I’d shoot Berger Bullets on African game. When I’ve hunted on past African trips I’ve shot Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX & TTSX, Trophy Bonded Bearclaws and even Hornady softs and solids back in early 1980’s.

For an upcoming western Tanzania trip, I’ll be shooting 225 grain TTSX’s or Patitions/Accubonds in my 338 and .416 is still up in air as I’m just starting to test some new Bullets. Will be either Trophy Bonded Bearclaws, Cutting Edge Raptors or Nosler Partitions. Can’t find any Barnes or Swift Bullets to play with.

You won’t find a Berger bullet anywhere near this hunt.

Posts: 3851 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Except on very rare occasions, like shooting a croc in the brain, match accuracy in hunting is not required.

Add to the fact that most hunters cannot shoot as accurately as their rifles are capable of under hunting conditions.

And I include myself in that group too.

Running after an animal, catching up with him, panting and trying to shoot off the sticks??!!

One time we ran after some kudu with Roy.

Caught up with them on the opposite hillside as they were walking into the bush.

Roy puts the sticks, I got onto them, I was wobbling so much I doubt I could have hit within 20 yards of them

They disappeared.

Roy said "You were not quick enough!"

I said "Roy, I would have been very lucky to have hit that bloody hillside, let alone the kudu!"

We all laughed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to shoot the Berger VLD 210 grain in my 300 Win Mag. They were highly accurate. For the most part, on deer, they were deadly. However, on hogs it was a different story. They broke up on impact at times.

After losing one of the largest hogs I have ever seen that was hit perfectly (it was filmed) shooting this bullet, I stopped.

Not one chance in hell I would take one to Africa.

Posts: 11945 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They blow up nicely in varmints nicely.

That is about it for the Berger, in my opinion.

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
x100
quote:
Originally posted by drongo:
quote:
Originally posted by mstewart44:

I don’t understand why someone would spend tens of thousands of dollars for a Safari and take a chance on bullet failure when there are so many excellent bullets available. In Africa I use either Swift A-frame or Woodleighs. No worries!

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2846 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 6.5 GAP 4S that is incredibly precise with the 140 gr. Berger Elite Hunters. It's a small sample size, but I had dismal results on a large Colorado mule deer with that particular bullet and will now no longer use those bullets on anything but paper. It's back to Barnes or Nosler for that rifle.

Posts: 83 | Location: Stephenville, TX & Hamilton, MT | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
As bad a luck as I’ve had with Berger VLDs, I’ve has excellent results with 165 gr Sierra GameKings, at roughly half the price of Berger’s.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO they are the product of an extensive add campaign and bait for suckers..but then Im old school and still like Noslers, Accubonds and Woodleighs, in a mono I like GS Customs and Barnes..

I still like cup and core REm Corelokts and WW silvertips for deer and antelope..

I let the masses determine the legitamacy of a new bullet before I even try one...It just so over the top anymore..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be in the minority and tell you about my Berger bullet experiences. After my early fall trip to RSA and Zambia I started a thread about them on AH. Here is a link:
https://www.africahunting.com/...ets-in-africa.53519/
Please take time to note my qualifications on speed, weight and checking the tips. I just got back from Tanzania last Friday. I had 6 one shot kills and the one that wasn't was my fault and not the bullet. The former trip was 16 animals with all but one being 1 shot kills. The exception was a VERY large Livingston eland hit on the shoulder at 75 yds with 180 gr bullet from a 7 SAUM. He was likely going down but I wanted to be sure.
If you use a 180 gr Berger in a .300 WM you'll be disappointed. Try the 215 gr hybrid and you'll be pleased. A friend of mine manages a ranch in Mt where they kill a bunch of cow elk each year. He has hunters use a variety of bullets. These elk get wary after a short period of time and at that point many use his rifle. 300 WM with the 215's. He has helped kill over 70 elk a season for several years. Thats his top choice in a bullet. Use heavy for caliber bullets and keep them under 3000 FPS and they kill very well. Ignore that and they will cause you grief.
Bruce

Posts: 372 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of experience with them. I am 0 for 4 on clean kills. I have shot two antelope with them - massive hole, and the antelope ran a ways before dropping. On the other two, long range on sizable animals. Both bullets were on the shoulder and both bullets wounded only - not killed without follow up shots.

I won't use them for anything other than steel or paper. Very accurate for long range but not for killing.

Posts: 265 | Location: Hammertown, USA | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote