New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most Dangerous?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was thinking about the most dangerous wounded animal situations. For this scenario, I am assuming you are by yourself, the terrain consists of thick vegetation with a visibility of just a few feet, and you are carrying a big bore (bolt, double, or lever). The animal is hit in the lower belly.

What would you consider the worst case?

Following a wounded leopard.

Following a wounded lion.

Following a wounded Cape buffalo.

Following a wounded elephant.

Following a wounded grizzly.

Following a wounded tiger.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Few feet!

Elephant!

Without any doubt!

Any of the others you might get luck and fire an instinctive shot, hit the brain, or somewhere where you can turn him.

Hitting an elephant in the brain from few feet coming at you is very chancy!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66927 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
following a scorned woman

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Following a wounded Grizzly or Brown Bear in an Alder thicket. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Few feet with visibility, minimal wound, no back up?

Cats will usually vocalize before they charge.

Bear... that’s ugly. It’s also the most likely one any of us will experience as Africa pretty much mandates a PH.

A wounded elephant is what I would think is the worst. They often move without a sound to start, and at a few feet, even if you make the shot, I would think it will likely fall on you at that distance. Just the trunk brushing you will break bones.

Posts: 10594 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Which ever one is the maddest!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Wounded bushbuck in the lantana

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
The only situation I have personally experienced in which I seriously felt my life was at stake was with a wounded ele.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I agree with Saeed and Lane. Definitely an elephant, especially a bull elephant.

Roy Vincent once told me "An elephant can harm you worse on accident than most other animals can on purpose". I've never forgotten that.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A wounded Leopard.

Cunning, invisible, no warning except when its too late, comes like a bolt of lightening from short distance and has the sharpest set of teeth and claws in the business.

A wounded Lion will normally voice his concern when you start closing in, giving you the opportunity of localizing its position; not so for Leopard which will grunt and charge.

Situations involving a wounded Leopard that is followed in daylight is best recommended to professionals with prior experience and the
preferable (ideal) choice of weapon for sorting out these types would be 10 gauge with buckshot but the traditional 12 gauge still does the job.

Posts: 1904 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The one that gets you!

I have seen plenty of people wounded by non dangerous game.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66927 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A mosquito as you sit in camp drinking a cool beverage and telling stories.

M

Posts: 1229 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I have followed wounded cape buffalo, elephant, water buffalo, leopard, and grizzly. Leopard scared me the most as I could not see him until I was on top of him.
Cal
PS. I guess this says something about my marksmanship!!

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was gonna say Cal!

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Leopard scared me the most as I could not see him until I was on top of him.

PS. I guess this says something about my marksmanship!!

That ranks you among the professionals Cal. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
None of them are dangerous in the least! That's what I tell my wife and my law partners.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
In five trips to Namibia I’ve only has one close call. In 2012 my wife and I spent four days in Etosha, staying two days at Halali and two days at Okakueju. One day while driving between the two camps our way was blocked by a herd of twenty or so elephants. I put the Toyota in Park and we took some pictures with our IPhones. The herd bull decided he didn’t like his picture taken and charged us at full speed from about 100 yards. I threw the car into reverse and floored it. The bull kept gaining on us despite our going 25-30 MPH in reverse. Thankfully he gave up after about 200 yards. Scared the crap out of us and the herd still was blocking our way. A few minutes later a delivery semi came along, honked his horn loudly and the herd took off into the mopane scrub brush.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
following a scorned woman

Mrs Blacktailer with a credit card.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leopard follow up is generally conducted at night making the pucker factor rise considerably.

Of all the cats, leopard are the bastards...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Leopard follow up is generally conducted at night making the pucker factor rise considerably.

tu2

Posts: 1789 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of them.

I would need a flock of Jack Russell terriers to distract the wounded beasts....

They are the bravest creatures on planet earth.

Posts: 10147 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:

I did this once and it was without a doubt the closest I have ever come to getting hurt. However, in retrospect, if the follow-up had been done in daylight, the leopard would have gotten after us much sooner as he would have known what was after him.

They are all dangerous. The circumstances dictate which are the most dangerous. I have shot a hell of a lot of buffalo. I have yet to have a serious incident. On the other hand, I had a serious incident with a white rhino, the only one I have ever hunted.

Things can go bad quickly with any of them especially with an attention lapse.

Posts: 11955 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never been charged but I would have to think a gut shot leopard. If it has been awhile after the shot it may be stiffened up some from shock but if not then what would be quicker and harder to hit than a leopard?

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted Hide Post
An elephant

diego

Posts: 645 | Location: madrid spain | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have worked my way through an extremely dense alder thicket following a very small path along a stream in northern Alaska one cool morning and came across a steaming pile of bear crap. I just eased my rifle off my shoulder and quietly released the safety on my 340 WM and backed out of there very slowly. You could not see 3-4' much less swing a rifle in all those branches.
When I got out of there I found a rock along the stream to sit on and took a deep breath. Left the safety off for a spell.
One of those thing you do not forget.
One more pucker factor to add to the list.....

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
I would definitely have to say lion, especially when the wounded lion roars from a ravine as I drop to a knee expecting a charge, and both PH’s and trackers get behind me. I have never felt so alone. Thankfully the lion left the far side of the ravine.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Cow elephants protecting calves. In India - missed our jeep by about 4 or 5 feet. After 43 years I can still remember the smell of the dust, sand and pebbles hitting us and the body heat of the animals and the screaming anger.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I've only had to follow one Buffalo that was wounded but that ended without incidence. Following up on my third Leopard at night was indeed, a tense moment. I do not think my PH or myself could have shoved a BB up our bung hole, but fortunately, he was stone dead upon our discovery. What made it more frosty was our only source of light were small torches. IMHO, the Leopard usually mauls, but the Elephant destroys. LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:

Fulvio, among others, told me he preferred going after leopards at night because their eyes light up like beacons when hit with white light. My leopard with him was dead on the ground but one I shot last year made it about 25 feet and jumped up on a rocky ledge before expiring. Took a few tense minutes to find it as there were no tracks.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
The one that gets to you before you can shoot!

If the elephant gets to you, you are likely to bite the dust right there. However the leopard is the one most likely to get to you, because of what Cal said, and as someone else said the follow-up is most times in the dark, but the leopard is the one mentioned that you will likely recover from, however you will have a lot of scars to make you remember the encounter!

I don't want any of the animals mentioned to get to me! Eeker
………………………………………………………….. old Mac

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago, in Zim, we were watching "African TV" and enjoying a sundowner after a long day tracking elephant. Among those in attendance around the fire that evening was the PH's daughter who had delivered some rations for the camp. During our BS session, this young lady asked me if I knew where the ele's sex organ was located. Claiming ignorance to the question, she said: "It's in it's foot...because if an ele steps on you, you're fckd!"

I have to agree. Elephant get my vote.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive been part of 2.5 buffalo charges, neither one scared me, its just part of the game..the .5 in case your wondering was the best bull I have ever shot. Was with Pierre van Tonder and we had a few days off and went buffalo hunting..I shot this huge old bull and he ran in a simi circle with his head up until he winded us, then he came for us, as he cleared a small area of high ground at about 35 or 40 yards I shot him under the chin and that killed him..I call that a half charge, I knew what he had in mind but he picked a bad spot to charge...

The other charged a client old timer who made me attend him on his hunt, he shot his bull in the eye and it charged, he missed with his second barrel and the PHs double locked up and at the last minute I shot the bull in the head and he lifted the clients toes with dirt..He looked at me and said, you cut that pretty close Ray, I apoligised and said I did my best, was waiting for you to shoot. His name was Bob Breeding, he died here while back and is sorely missed..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My lovely niece once told me that she wants to see a lion charge .. but not to worry. She would want me right beside her .. rotflmo

Posts: 1534 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love her too much to take her up on that offer ..

Posts: 1534 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the PHs double locked up and at the last minute I shot the bull in the head

You meant to say "in that last second" .... Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boko Harem I’d say. I’ll take a wounded leopard any day over those people

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I asked this question of an old-time PH I knew from KENYA and BOTSWANA. He said leopard and preferred a Browning Auto-5 with lots of 00 buckshot.

For me the Grizzly in the alders has a very high 'pucker factor'.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Ive been part of 2.5 buffalo charges, neither one scared me, its just part of the game..the .5 in case your wondering was the best bull I have ever shot. Was with Pierre van Tonder and we had a few days off and went buffalo hunting..I shot this huge old bull and he ran in a simi circle with his head up until he winded us, then he came for us, as he cleared a small area of high ground at about 35 or 40 yards I shot him under the chin and that killed him..I call that a half charge, I knew what he had in mind but he picked a bad spot to charge...

That buffalo was just choosing where he died...

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9549 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alec Torres:
I asked this question of an old-time PH I knew from KENYA and BOTSWANA. He said leopard and preferred a Browning Auto-5 with lots of 00 buckshot.

For me the Grizzly in the alders has a very high 'pucker factor'.

Auto-5...good choice. Today I would shoot 3” shells of T Hevi-shot. Killed a lot of hogs and coyotes out of a chopper with that stuff. Put it in the face of a leopard and I suspect it would be like hitting a brick wall.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsibindi:
Years ago, in Zim, we were watching "African TV" and enjoying a sundowner after a long day tracking elephant. Among those in attendance around the fire that evening was the PH's daughter who had delivered some rations for the camp. During our BS session, this young lady asked me if I knew where the ele's sex organ was located. Claiming ignorance to the question, she said: "It's in it's foot...because if an ele steps on you, you're fckd!"

I have to agree. Elephant get my vote.

Hard to disagree with her logic!

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member