Find
Notify
Tools

Close call in the Canadian Rockies
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Global_Rescue
posted

Global Rescue member Steven Huskey was on a hunting trip to the Canadian Rockies when suddenly things went very, very wrong.

“During a steep, snowy descent through the Canadian Rockies in pursuit of an elusive Big Horn sheep, I found myself sliding down the mountain toward a cliff. As I went over the edge, I instinctively grabbed for a sapling. It was like a made-for-TV-movie.”

With help from Global Rescue, Huskey lived to tell the tale of his ordeal.

“[As I fell,] the momentum of my weight and my pack dislocated my right shoulder, breaking the socket and tearing pretty much every tendon and ligament including my bicep. After finishing the descent with my arm duct-taped to my body and an extremely agonizing horseback ride to camp, I was able to call Global Rescue on the satellite phone,” said Huskey.

The Global Rescue operations team launched into action, making plans for a field rescue and evacuation to transport Huskey to a hospital to receive medical care. With significant snowfall forecast for the following two days, the helicopter rescue was set for the first break in the weather.

“First, they worked with my guide to ensure I was stable and gave him warning signs to monitor. Second and most impressive, they coordinated with my fiancée, the local medical personnel, the outfitter, the aircraft as well as the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and other local authorities,” said Huskey. “The snow and terrain prevented a ground rescue team from reaching my location, so as soon as the weather broke, Global Rescue had a helicopter en route. Their coordination and persistence was impressive.”

The helicopter transported Huskey to the hospital, where he was evaluated, admitted, and treated for his right shoulder dislocation. Global Rescue’s paramedics kept in contact with him throughout his ordeal to ensure he was receiving proper care until he was discharged.

Huskey’s advice: “If you are a back country adventurer, your Global Rescue membership should be at the very top of your packing list.”

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
GR -
I was talking with my PH in Tanzania about Global Rescue and he was wondering if it was available to High risk occupations like PH's?

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why is a press release about a Canadian hunt posted in the African section?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AnotherAZWriter has it. Bingo. Bingo. Bingo.

Why?

Moderators....please. This is not what Accurate Reloading is about.

Put this post where it belongs.

Please.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think this is useful information even though I no longer hunt in the mountains.

Posts: 9994 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geez- Someone posts about the merits of a service that is "Worldwide", including Africa, and something we can ALL use and immediately some start pissing on it. Not surprised that AAW is leading the parade I guess. Grow up folks this type of info is great wherever posted. If you don't like the thread or are sooooo anal that you have to "pick on" it's placement, then why not just not read or comment on it? Click on the next thread or climb back in your hole and pout.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
R8 Blaser

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Always good to hear that Global Rescue performs so well. I bought the insurance when I went to Africa in 2007.
Was actually wondering if they would be capable of transporting an American hunter with ebola ...

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't be overstated enough - A sat phone and Global Rescue should be on every hunter's packing list no matter which continent you hunt. (and should be posted in every forum)

tu2

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With you 100% Larry, valuable information and very interesting story. Wherever it was posted! One should Never leave home without it.

Little minds always complain, it is all they seem to have.

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Geez- Someone posts about the merits of a service that is "Worldwide", including Africa, and something we can ALL use and immediately some start pissing on it. Not surprised that AAW is leading the parade I guess. Grow up folks this type of info is great wherever posted. If you don't like the thread or are sooooo anal that you have to "pick on" it's placement, then why not just not read or comment on it? Click on the next thread or climb back in your hole and pout.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
R8 Blaser

Photobucket

Posts: 410 | Location: Benton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 16 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I have been a member for as long as the service has been available and consider it a worthwhile investment regardless of where I am in the world.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
Thanks,

With all the traveling I am doing I have just joined..

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never had to use Global Rescue but have always had it. tu2

Posts: 1789 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote