New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Legend is Gone
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Paddy Curtis (Blood Nut), another legendary PH has left us under tragic circumstances.

The sad news has just been relayed to me and it appears he was murdered in cold blood by unknown assailants during a robbery in his residence in Bulawayo in the early morning hours of today.

The police are on site conducting their investigations.

Posts: 1869 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Horrible news!

RIP Paddy.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2064 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Very sad indeed!

Condolences to his family.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66766 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
That is a horrible end to a legend. Very sad news indeed.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9846 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
That is very tragic news, RIP Paddy.

Posts: 2634 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Damn! He was a legend for sure. Rest in peace Blood.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36417 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Beyond terrible. RIP Paddy…

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a tragedy!!!! I was able to catch up with Paddy in the Selous last October, so glad I did.
R.I.P. Brother.

Posts: 1782 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a tragedy

RIP Paddy.

Posts: 1853 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted Hide Post
This is tragic and heartbreaking news. My dear friend Nigel introduced me to Paddy years ago. RIP Bloodnut. God rest your soul.

Posts: 501 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Wow... terrible news. Like Jay, I saw Paddy last October in the Selous. Great guy, great PH. May he rest in peace.

Tough news but thanks for passing it on Fulvio...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7510 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deepest condolences.

DRSS

Posts: 1148 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Devastating news. He was the consummate professional and, hands down, with my clients, the most requested ph to hunt with. He never disappointed. I will miss him.

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
This is very sad.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I met them in Zimbabwe years ago, him and his wife.

Who passed away last year.

Lovely family.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66766 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Damn, that is sad news. May he rest in peace and condolences to his friends and family.

May his assailants get what they so rightfully deserve.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt.Purvis
posted Hide Post
Saw this on FB early this morning. Very sad.

Posts: 511 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 09 November 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to hear this, my condolences to his family and friends.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deepest Condolences.

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a shame. So sorry to hear this news. RIP.

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So incredibly sad RIP Blood- what a great loss to the hunting community. Condolences to his family and friends.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Very sad, tragic how he was killed.

Here is what a close friend of his passed along…

Apparently, he went to let his dogs out in dark early morning, and robbers were waiting when he opened his door. He got an alarm out, but help wasn’t able to arrive in time. He was found with gunshots to his head, but his gun safe still locked tight.

They apparently hit 2 other homes, but Paddy was the only one shot. A security team is now hunting down the POS’s who did this.

Posts: 3835 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is awful.

I’ve met him a couple times.

We are once again lessened.

Posts: 10479 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Beyond tragic! Let's hope that the murderers are caught and executed! RIP Bloodnut!

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Condolences to his family and friends. Truly sad.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Horrible Horrible news!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1281 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Condolences and prayers to his family and friends. RIP

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1094 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Prayers for Paddy and family, He was one of the best..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Funny Paddy story. Several of us met Paddy on a trip last year to hunt in the Selous. Paddy was hunting in Luke Samaras' camp on the Rufiji River with a client hunting lion. We drove up to the river one day to fish and relax and it just so happened that Paddy's client shot a beautiful male lion the morning before we arrived. By the time we got to camp late morning the team was already pretty well lubricated and there were several empty Jameson bottles outside the back of the dining chalet. We sat down and were visiting. Paddy got a bottle of water and started to drink it. His client, feigning urgent concern, said, "Paddy be careful, I have never seen you drink water before and you might poison yourself with that since your body is unaccustomed to fluids other than scotch." The person with the biggest smile and laugh at the joke was Paddy. I am sure his friends, clients and colleagues will miss him.

Mike

Posts: 21093 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
RIP Blood

Posts: 817 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Damn, I only knew him from the shows. RIP.

I also hope the bastards are caught and not by the police, but I’m a pacifist…

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terrible shame. Paddy was a great soldier, Ph and just a really nice guy. The world is a lesser place.

Posts: 9954 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 2012, Paddy was hunting with a client hunting lion in Luke's block in Simanjiro. We were hunting a fly camp and stopped by the main camp for lunch. They had eland steaks, my favorite. I congratulated the hunter, who had only arrived the day before, on already getting an eland, and he corrected me. Paddy explained that they had heard a lion kill the night before and harvested some backstraps and tenderloins from the eland that was the lions' dinner. Fine with me. I had a second and third helping.

The next morning, we were hunting up high again and my PH got a call from Paddy inquiring into whether he, and me, were OK. I got the drift, but said switch to English, and it turns out, Paddy's client thought he had food poisoning from the lion kill. Everyone else was fine.

We had a good laugh on the power of the mind. Paddy will be missed.

Posts: 9954 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
they had heard a lion kill the night before and harvested some back straps and tenderloins from the eland that was the lions' dinner.

Correction: "they STOLE" ... NOT harvested. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Met Paddy once, at the Sea Cliff, IIRC.

I don't think he would deny or disavow anything in this unauthorized biography:

Blood Nut

May he rest in peace, or even better, hunt on, in paradise, balls out.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think he would deny or disavow anything in this unauthorized biography:

Those tales are all true .... I heard them from the horse's mouth and the author of the biography was also one among at least 5 on the receiving end of a buffalo charge in Kitiangare and was lucky to have survived.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not been on AR much lately but just saw this post. I spent 21 days with Paddy - he wasn't my PH but Fulvio was. I remember when we got to camp he had just shot a giant cobra in or near the kitchen. I have a photo of him holding it up.

Fulvio, I think it was you who told me about him being gored by a buff and getting on all fours with his ass sticking up in the air while a nurse (wife a client?) sewed him up.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fulvio, I think it was you who told me about him being gored by a buff and getting on all fours with his ass sticking up in the air while a nurse (wife a client?) sewed him up.

This incident which took place in Kitiangare (Masailand) was also mentioned in Paddy's obituary by Hannes Wessels.

What I didn't know is that the client's wife (who was a nurse/assistant in an operating theater back home) used dental floss for the want of something better than thread.

The above surgery could be regarded as a "field dressing" to keep his guts in place while arrangements were being made to evacuate him to a hospital.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, seems like there are two sides to every story. Good thing you can't slander a dead man.