THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Hunters shoot dead second collared bull elephant outside Zim park
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunters shoot dead second collared bull elephant outside Zim park
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cow-trader:
Yes we knew about this, old news.

It's a small area right up against the park station at mbalahoeta(spelling) it was part of Nixon's area and it was decided, begining of last year, it would for the time being, be swallowed up into the park and managed by fzs.

I think it just dragged on a year because Nixon kicked up a legal stink.

If that’s the case, it really does sound like a case of the Tragedy Of the Commons.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok guys - DON'T shoot the messenger! Actually you all know - I'm ok with that too, I never take offense to any of this. I too want what's best for Africa - but that doesn't mean my position is always the same as yours, etc. Dr. Easter and I are great friends - but we disagree sometimes too. Like many of you - I too have friends in Zim. Here's some info / feedback I have received in the past 24 hrs or so - take it for what you will.

My opinion strictly, I think the collaring of these bigger / older bulls is absolutely a way to "protect" them from hunting, under the umbrella of "research".

Some Info / Facts from PH's:

FZS has done an awesome job in a JV with parks in Gonarezhou, in fact it is a success story!
Lloyd Yeatman shot the second bull and has approached the DSG in Harare for clarification on a few points.

How many permits have FZS been issued to collar elephant in Gonarezhou? Anwser from head office.... zero!

Hugo, the guy in charge of FZS stated he collared 10 bulls of which 2 were poached, 3 were shot by hunters, now he has stated 22 bulls! Question is why are they collaring 22 large elephant bulls? Research or protection?

Hugo is also the guy who got Nixon out and turned Malapati into a non hunting zone, he also attempted to do this with naivasha and Mahenya!!
He went to communities and offered more money to stop hunting, he has a serious agenda.

He constantly flies over Lloyd while he is on a legal safari, disturbing elephant in the hunting area.

He has attempted to make a law to state no driving on the boundary road.

From another Zim PH below. I am simply transposing the info here guys.

1) The publicity is bad for all PH’s business in the long run.
I AGREE

2) The ones in Zim know FZ are fine with hunting and want to keep the relationship good.
THEY CLOSED MALAPATI AND ARE TRYING TO CLOSE NAIVASHA.

3) All of them believe FZ contacted concession holders prior to the bulls being killed and asked for them to not be.
INCORRECT

4) It was well known by many that these bulls were there, they had been seen before, and even discussed.
INCORRECT

5) Zim PHs pride themselves on Bushcraft and feel the whole “I didn’t see it” thing makes them look stupid.
PERHAPS

6) They think the “I did not see it” was a lie.
EVERYONE IS ENTITLES TO AN OPINION

7) They know how extremely rare these bulls are.
ITS A HUNTING AREA, THERE'S A QUOTA

8) These 2 bulls were NOT collared for research, they were collared to protect them, and that was common knowledge. They as a group (ZPHGA) agree with that concept.
ILLEGAL TO COLLAR TO PROTECT, PERMITS ARE FOR RESEARCH IF THERE ARE ANY

9) For a variety of circumstances...they don’t consider these bulls “fair chase.”
BULLSHIT ANTI HUNTER TALK

10) Successful parks are a critical for the survival of wildlife in Africa...they want these parks to be successful for photo-tourism...photo-tourism requires subjects to draw tourists.
ANTI HUNTING

11) Some...not all...look at these ele like the habituated camp-dwelling animals that many camps enjoy for viewing in the evening which many concessionaires maintain a hand-off.
ABSOLUTE CRAP

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Was he Dumbo or Jumbo? I missed the name part.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2926 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
Question is why are they collaring 22 large elephant bulls? Research or protection?

Does it matter? Hunters are not the only user of theses animals. If we don't play nice we may not get to play at all.

1) The publicity is bad for all PH’s business in the long run. I AGREE

Has not hurt MP

How many times does the same guy get to use the same defense before someone calls BS?

There is an agreement to not shoot those animals. Break the agreement and perhaps you should be closed out of hunting the area.

9) For a variety of circumstances...they don’t consider these bulls “fair chase.”

No the professional hunting group says that

Posts: 748 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My opinion strictly, I think the collaring of these bigger / older bulls is absolutely a way to "protect" them from hunting, under the umbrella of "research".

That is the naked truth!

In the name of "scientific research" it would make more sense to collar several mature herd bulls that move with their herds than to monitor solitary spent animals.

The same criteria is applicable to Lions; its always the older, heavily maned ones that seem to be collared.

Posts: 1868 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
quote:

That is the naked truth!

In the name of "scientific research" it would make more sense to collar several mature herd bulls that move with their herds than to monitor solitary spent animals.

The same criteria is applicable to Lions; its always the older, heavily maned ones that seem to be collared.

Exactly.

Still, does not alter the fact that shooting one today is a major disaster for us.

Collaring an animal for research is basically to see what happens to it in its life time.

It will die one day, and they have GPS information on where it has been etc.

Getting killed by hunters is just part of the scheme of things.

But, the major factor today is that we have a very difficult time convincing governments to leave hunting alone.

Their animosity towards hunting is not scientifically proved, just plain emotional.

And having these collared elephants being shot continuously is not doing us any favors.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66756 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
follow the money, the answer is at the end of that trail it always is.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Yep, thank you Lamar

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok guys - DON'T shoot the messenger! Actually you all know - I'm ok with that too, I never take offense to any of this. I too want what's best for Africa - but that doesn't mean my position is always the same as yours, etc. Dr. Easter and I are great friends - but we disagree sometimes too. Like many of you - I too have friends in Zim. Here's some info / feedback I have received in the past 24 hrs or so - take it for what you will.

Some Info / Facts from PH's:

FZS has done an awesome job in a JV with parks in Gonarezhou, in fact it is a success story!
Lloyd Yeatman shot the second bull and has approached the DSG in Harare for clarification on a few points.

How many permits have FZS been issued to collar elephant in Gonarezhou? Anwser from head office.... zero!

Hugo, the guy in charge of FZS stated he collared 10 bulls of which 2 were poached, 3 were shot by hunters, now he has stated 22 bulls! Question is why are they collaring 22 large elephant bulls? Research or protection?

Hugo is also the guy who got Nixon out and turned Malapati into a non hunting zone, he also attempted to do this with naivasha and Mahenya!!
He went to communities and offered more money to stop hunting, he has a serious agenda.

He constantly flies over Lloyd while he is on a legal safari, disturbing elephant in the hunting area.

He has attempted to make a law to state no driving on the boundary road.

From another Zim PH below. I am simply transposing the info here guys.

I AGREE

2) The ones in Zim know FZ are fine with hunting and want to keep the relationship good.
THEY CLOSED MALAPATI AND ARE TRYING TO CLOSE NAIVASHA.

3) All of them believe FZ contacted concession holders prior to the bulls being killed and asked for them to not be.
INCORRECT

4) It was well known by many that these bulls were there, they had been seen before, and even discussed.
INCORRECT

5) Zim PHs pride themselves on Bushcraft and feel the whole “I didn’t see it” thing makes them look stupid.
PERHAPS

8) These 2 bulls were NOT collared for research, they were collared to protect them, and that was common knowledge. They as a group (ZPHGA) agree with that concept.
ILLEGAL TO COLLAR TO PROTECT, PERMITS ARE FOR RESEARCH IF THERE ARE ANY

I am an ardent and hardcore hunter...I especially like ele hunting...even cow ele hunting. Now I am speaking about these 2 bulls specifically and from what I know to be fact...I feel that way as does every PH I know well enough to speak frankly about it.

10) Successful parks are a critical for the survival of wildlife in Africa...they want these parks to be successful for photo-tourism...photo-tourism requires subjects to draw tourists.
ANTI HUNTING

see above response

11) Some...not all...look at these ele like the habituated camp-dwelling animals that many camps enjoy for viewing in the evening which many concessionaires maintain a hand-off.
ABSOLUTE CRAP
See above reponse again

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

There is collaring for research and collaring for management. The latter is not just to protect the individual, but to direct anti-poaching efforts.

I think you get carried away. The information states that 22 elephants have been collared, not 22 bull elephants. You then make it 22 large bulls. Maybe Hugo is right and 10 bulls were collared, and 12 cows? And if 10 bulls were collared and 2 were killed by poachers, and 3 by hunters, than hunting looks worse than poaching in the eye of the antis.

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
While I would be disappointed to shoot a collared animal myself, that is a very fine Lion you shot back in the day Aaron, I have been after a Lion (Wild Male) I could afford for many years now & its not getting any better !

But Elephant hunts are covering the place !

Posts: 459 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron mate,
you may want to investigate getting some, shall I say, more enlightened sources

Posts: 175 | Location: Somewhere in a sale-barn | Registered: 07 June 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Aaron mate,
you may want to investigate getting some, shall I say, more enlightened sources

I think all quoted sources have one agenda or another to push.

Posts: 66756 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Total bummer about Nixon and Malipati. I loved hunting there. Shot a 65 lb. Elephant and two 43" Buffs there. I was hoping my son would get a chance to hunt there with Nixon. The animal lovers and tree huggers f up everything. They couldn't care less about the well being of the surrounding communities.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1925 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
quote:
quote:
But for ZPHGA to claim it is unethical seems wrong.

Dr. Butler,
The majority of PHs in Zim look at these 2 bull as national treasures. They feel that PHs in their association should work in unison with orgs like FZ.

Every Zim PH that I know that I would hunt with does feel it is unethical to shoot these large collared bulls.

I agree with them.

Why would they say its unethical?

Most of the guys I know are in the bush and unable to say much right now. I haven't heard anything about this.

A few years back a few guys, including one poster here shot some really large elephant with Nixon Dzingai right on a park border and no one said anything about it being unethical.

I'm trying to get my head around how shooting any one bull in a fair chase manner is any less ethical just because of a collar.

I certainly see the PR side of it, and can sympathize with that. But just because the photo folks want them protected doesn't make them unethical to hunt.

I would agree the aggravation over shooting one of them is more than I would want to put up with and that it will have an adverse effect on hunting...what I don't get is if the great tuskers are "national treasures" why don't they just say like SA does near Kruger? Why is a collared 100 pound bull a national treasure but an uncollared 100# bull not?

PH’s don’t make the laws...they only follow them.

Being in the bush does not stop coms like it used to and I have spoken with several.

Why they consider it unethical:

3) All of them believe FZ contacted concession holder prior the bulls being killed and asked for them to not be.

Number 8.... Bulls collared to protect them, not for research. Exactly a reason Not to give a crap if they are collared. The Anti's want you to play be the rules they set up. Then they use the rules against you. By this logic, every elephant would wear a collar.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
FZS are not anti-hunters. They realize Gonarezhou has a limited carrying capacity of ele. They realize hunting blocks increase habitat and provide migration corridors. Work with them and they will work with hunters.

We are going to have to learn to work with these groups of non-consumptive but not antihunting orgs or we will be legislated out completely soon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36416 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
We are going to have to learn to work with these groups of non-consumptive but not antihunting orgs or we will be legislated out completely soon.

Very true!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exactly !

quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

Very true!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Very true!

tu2

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3501 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
quote:
FZS are not anti-hunters. They realize Gonarezhou has a limited carrying capacity of ele. They realize hunting blocks increase habitat and provide migration corridors. Work with them and they will work with hunters.

The problem we have these days Lane with hunters, is they still think that they have some sort of sway. We do not, best we can hope for is to keep enough on side to carry on for another decade or so.......but we do not have any power any longer. If you think about the fact that hunters who like to hunt dangerous game like elephant, lion, brown bear and polar bear, etc are only a fraction of one percent of hunters. Not the overall population...hunters!!!!!

Now factor in how many percent of the population in any given country hunt. In the US I think it is around 9 percent. So those who hunt dangerous game, heck just any foreign big game, amount to a very tiny fraction of a percent of the US population. So where is all the push going to come from and what politician is going to put it on the line for so few?

All the boys and girls need to get a clear picture of the numbers. Piss them off...them being the masses, including most normal everyday hunters, and it will be over in the blink of an eye. Heaven forbid that we talk nice and kiss butt.....no lets give them the old hard pitch and tell them they are wrong and we will kill bull elephants with collars. Hell it is legal. You don't like it? Too bad!! I do what I want!!

Legal. Ethical. Biologically sound. None of that matters. We are in a situation now where facts and game management strategies mean nothing.

Look at British Columbia.......grizzly closed. Period. Lots of bears and sound management but the majority of the general populations said "we don't like it" and that is that. No grizzly hunting.

California is looking at banning the import of African trophies into California by residents of the state, Just like they did for mountain lion decades ago.

I have it from a reliable source that the next thing on the chopping block up here in Canada is mountain lion in BC and Alberta. I have also been told that they (anti's) plan to get back at attacking the black bear seasons. We also have First Nations groups getting their backs up about black bear hunting.

The picture is not rosy. People need to get a grip on their attitudes. Being RIGHT means nothing these days. So I for one can get by just killing a 60 pound bull and letting a collared 80 pounder walk and continue to provide all people...photographers/viewers and hunters...with the thrill of just seeing them. Is that so much to ask in the great scheme of things? (Easy for me to say as I cannot afford an elephant hunt anyways. Smiler )

How long do you have to be alive before we begin to realize that the "me" and "look at me" attitude is what is killing hunting these days.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
quote:

The problem we have these days Lane with hunters, is they still think that they have some sort of sway. We do not, best we can hope for is to keep enough on side to carry on for another decade or so.......but we do not have any power any longer. If you think about the fact that hunters who like to hunt dangerous game like elephant, lion, brown bear and polar bear, etc are only a fraction of one percent of hunters. Not the overall population...hunters!!!!!

Now factor in how many percent of the population in any given country hunt. In the US I think it is around 9 percent. So those who hunt dangerous game, heck just any foreign big game, amount to a very tiny fraction of a percent of the US population. So where is all the push going to come from and what politician is going to put it on the line for so few?

All the boys and girls need to get a clear picture of the numbers. Piss them off...them being the masses, including most normal everyday hunters, and it will be over in the blink of an eye. Heaven forbid that we talk nice and kiss butt.....no lets give them the old hard pitch and tell them they are wrong and we will kill bull elephants with collars. Hell it is legal. You don't like it? Too bad!! I do what I want!!

Legal. Ethical. Biologically sound. None of that matters. We are in a situation now where facts and game management strategies mean nothing.

Look at British Columbia.......grizzly closed. Period. Lots of bears and sound management but the majority of the general populations said "we don't like it" and that is that. No grizzly hunting.

California is looking at banning the import of African trophies into California by residents of the state, Just like they did for mountain lion decades ago.

I have it from a reliable source that the next thing on the chopping block up here in Canada is mountain lion in BC and Alberta. I have also been told that they (anti's) plan to get back at attacking the black bear seasons. We also have First Nations groups getting their backs up about black bear hunting.

The picture is not rosy. People need to get a grip on their attitudes. Being RIGHT means nothing these days. So I for one can get by just killing a 60 pound bull and letting a collared 80 pounder walk and continue to provide all people...photographers/viewers and hunters...with the thrill of just seeing them. Is that so much to ask in the great scheme of things? (Easy for me to say as I cannot afford an elephant hunt anyways. Smiler )

How long do you have to be alive before we begin to realize that the "me" and "look at me" attitude is what is killing hunting these days.

Good arguement, best I have heard. But, it is still up to the individual to do what they think best or what they like.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skyline
100%

Regards
Stu

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
quote:

It’s killing a hell of a lot more than hunting.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
The “Me” and “Look at me”

Was created by SCI.

Suported and nourished until it has become a horrible shadow over what we normal people call hunting!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
clap

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BEGNO:
Total bummer about Nixon and Malipati. I loved hunting there. Shot a 65 lb. Elephant and two 43" Buffs there. I was hoping my son would get a chance to hunt there with Nixon. The animal lovers and tree huggers f up everything. They couldn't care less about the well being of the surrounding communities.

Nixon was the reason Malipati was lost as a hunting concession.

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
But, it is still up to the individual to do what they think best or what they like.

Hunting, no matter the species, is not conducted by a committee it is done by individuals and fewer individuals are hunting yearly.

How is hunting supposed to last into the future when "Hunters" are so polarized on issues such as this one?

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
quote:

Nixon was the reason Malipati was lost as a hunting concession.

How did he do that??

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:

But, it is still up to the individual to do what they think best or what they like.

And recent events teach us that some people are capable of exercising better judgment or controlling their selfish impulses better than others. The problem for the vast majority of hunters that are capable of exercising responsible judgment or acting unselfishly is that despite their actions they are smeared with the taint of those that cannot seem to act responsibly or unselfishly. We as hunters are all in one big barrel and unfortunately a few bad apples can spoil the barrel, e.g., hunters that feel compelled to shoot collared elephants in the circumstances that existed here.

Mike

Posts: 21091 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
The “Me” and “Look at me”

Was created by SCI.

Suported and nourished until it has become a horrible shadow over what we normal people call hunting!

Saeed, I could not agree more! Social media has also cast a horrible shadow and it’s free to participate

The trend that we’ve been witness to over the past decade or so has been troubling and is one of the many reasons I have been trending towards not sharing pictures or stories and just trying to remain anonymous in what I do. I will always speak up for what I believe to be right for the sport but it’s difficult to contribute to something that is used so recklessly by so many. I don’t want or need the attention that some work so hard to achieve with no regard for the consequences

Posts: 2091 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been with Nixon too many times to ever believe that he had anything to do with the loss of Malipati.Total BS

I'm sure there are folks who are glad that Nixon lost Malipati. I had a white PH tell me Nixon was bad for his business. The untold reason: Nixon works harder and hunts everyday himself, no layers of management, employs lots of family and friends and keeps costs low and results high. They cannot compete with what he offered. Parks liked him because he actually paid his fees on Sengwe I & II unlike the previous white operators. He is a credit to his race and the profession, unlike some we have known here.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1925 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is just so scary to me how some people look at the whole picture. Because are numbers are not as high as they once were we should buckle or change our ways. Here we are only 9% of people who are hunting anymore. So what the other 91& don't like it. No more like 90% don't care unless they get feed the lies from the 1% of the anti's.

That sad part is the 2% of the hunters who will throw other hunters under the bus because it is the easy way. The dam collar or name changes nothing for hunting unless we let it.

If we want to protect certain animals lets do that and make it clear those animals should not be shot. To let some bs groups who do it for no reason that helps animals more then us hunters is just letting them win for no reason.

We are losing the war because they are buying the win not because the facts show they are right. They use the new ways to make us look stupid and then we let them make us look stupid.

sci or any other hunters group is the not main problem. It is us hunters who pick sides based on what we like or ok with instead of having a goal like the antis. There goal is stop hunting are goal is to tell each other what is wrong or right instead of all hunters rights and what is best for all hunters.

A few guys maybe right we will lose hunting in 10 or so years but it will not be because of some dam named or collared animal it will be because of how we turn on each other.

Posts: 554 | Location: macungie , Pa | Registered: 21 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mates,
Going to clue some people in since this a done deal now.

The issue with Malapati was mostly all Nixon's fault. The community does not like him there and the Park definitely does not like him.

This friction has been rubbing for a while. As far back as 2015 though, there was a deal working with a reputable outfitter taking over Malapati. FZS was going to sign off on it as well as mbalahoeta community.

Only one problem, the new were of the wrong color and Nixon pulled strings to muddy the water. Now, real-estate lost to hunting.

Posts: 175 | Location: Somewhere in a sale-barn | Registered: 07 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mates,
Going to clue some people in since this a done deal now.

The issue with Malapati was mostly all Nixon's fault. The community does not like him there and the Park definitely does not like him.

This friction has been rubbing for a while. As far back as 2015 though, there was a deal working with a reputable outfitter taking over Malapati. FZS was going to sign off on it as well as mbalahoeta community.

Only one problem, the new were of the wrong color and Nixon pulled strings to muddy the water. Now, real-estate lost to hunting.

Pretty much spot on. Shame to lose it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't believe that for a minute. I don't know if the last two posters have ever been to Malipati or hunted with Nixon. I have been there several times and Nixon treated everybody he met with great respect and the communities seemed to worship him for all he was doing for them. I doubt anybody could have been on better terms with parks and the communities.
I do know that there was a lot of jealousy by other operators of Nixon's success and his areas.
At any rate Nixon didn't have anything to do with the two collared elephants.
I will choose to believe what I have seen first hand.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't believe that for a minute. I don't know if the last two posters have ever been to Malipati or hunted with Nixon. I have been there several times and Nixon treated everybody he met with great respect and the communities seemed to worship him for all he was doing for them. I doubt anybody could have been on better terms with parks and the communities.
I do know that there was a lot of jealousy by other operators of Nixon's success and his areas.
At any rate Nixon didn't have anything to do with the two collared elephants.
I will choose to believe what I have seen first hand.

Guys - Ok, lots of good input here! Fact is I too spent roughly 30 days with Nixon in Malapati on a couple of occasions - and I too have heard the rumors. All I can say from my perspective is, we always did things "right".

The 120 pounder Nixon shot a couple years ago wasn't collared - and it still raised giant turmoil? Its not about the collar, its about the "hunting"! Give an inch - they'll always take a mile.

If you all want to make shooting "collared" animals off limits / illegal, then do so - I'll follow the law. But know IMO its simply another way for the opposition to chip away at what is reality in the hunting world - we kill stuff. When someone figures out how to grant these animals eternal life, please let me know? Otherwise they are dying....one way or the other, just like us! Should a benefit be gained from their death, or just a sad / lonely death in the bush?

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I can find absolutely nothing unreasonable in the position or actions of FZS. Hopefully we can all agree that big tuskers, let's say bulls that are 85-90 pounds a side or greater are increasingly incredibly rare in Africa. We also know that these particular bulls were collared in the park and spend most of their lives in the park. How do we know this, because in the hunting areas adjacent to the park most of the hunting is spent along the park boundary looking for animals that have wandered out of the park and catching them before they return to the park. The national parks were established to protect wildlife and afford all people the opportunity to enjoy the wildlife in the park, particularly the increasingly rare large tusked elephant bulls. Here we know that FZS was not willy nilly collaring hundreds of elephant in order to ostensibly make them off limits . . . they collared an incredibly small number of large tusked elephants. Then FZS goes to its neighbors and says we have collared a handful of the elephants in the park to protect and track them and hopefully allow them to be enjoyed by all for many years to come and we will try to let you know when we track one that leaves the park and wanders into a hunting area. Then hunting operators in adjacent areas take clients out and shoot two of the handful of collared bulls. Sorry, but you tell that story to most people and their response is going to be, damn that's a pity . . . and I agree. We can pretend that the opinions of the non-hunting public do not matter but the reality is that the sport will cease to exist if our actions continue to create a groundswell of negative opinion against the sport.

Mike

Posts: 21091 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO it is extremely unlikely that a safari company with the best and biggest elephant hunting in Zim is going to self destruct.
The simple truth is the Anti hunters have more money than we do and Malipati was targeted by them and now they will focus on the second and third best elephant areas until they have control of all of them.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
IMHO it is extremely unlikely that a safari company with the best and biggest elephant hunting in Zim is going to self destruct.
The simple truth is the Anti hunters have more money than we do and Malipati was targeted by them and now they will focus on the second and third best elephant areas until they have control of all of them.

There is simply a lot you don't know Butch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mate,
ican tell you for sure the community and the park were fine with Malapati being a hunting area just not with Nixon.

No greenies lurking about here.

Witj time, it may even return.