Find
Notify
Tools

RIP Cal Pappas
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted
Just saw Cal has passed. No details yet.

Posts: 558 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP Cal. We shared a love of doubles and a lot of good times at the range and shooting in his yard. You'll be missed!

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP- very sad news. I met Cal in Nyakasanga several years ago and had a nice evening with him.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RIP

Posts: 987 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Very sad. I enjoyed many conversations with him. RIP.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Sad indeed!

Condolences to his family and friends.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66846 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Damn, what happened? RIP, Cal.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13121 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP Cal.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So so sorry to hear.

He was one of us..RIP

Posts: 1855 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Sudden.

On to the happy hunting grounds.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 860 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Hate to hear... another lost. RIP Cal.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7516 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP- A great guy to deal with.

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rest In Peace Cal, will really miss you

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have any details? I got a PM on AH from him yesterday in the morning, he was getting ready to head out on safari.

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Very sad to hear this. A gentleman who will be missed. Rest in Peace Cal.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP my friend. You will be missed.

Posts: 11928 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
RIP Cal.

It appears that your number was called, however, you are in the fields hunting and enjoying your self.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1567 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP....wow

DRSS

Posts: 1150 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed his posts. Yes, he had plans to go on a few safaris this year, despite selling many of his doubles. RIP, Cal.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3429 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Sad news to start the week, RIP Cal.

But I have to say Cal was blessed in an important way. Rather than dying after a long hospital stay, he was truly living life till the end, still going on safari and anticipating the next one. We should all be so fortunate when our time comes.

Posts: 3841 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I first encountered Cal when I posted a Hunt Report on my first Safari in Namibia 10 years ago. Cal criticized me for using a laser rangefinder in bagging my first African game, a 40” Gemsbok bull. I told him to “practice self insemination”. He later apologized for his criticism and was much more civil and actually praised me in response to my next four Hunting Reports. I enjoyed reading his own Hunting Reports with his beloved double rifles. RIP Cal.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1381 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow_ in the few dealings I had with Cal, always a gentleman. RIP

Posts: 129 | Location: west MN | Registered: 22 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rest In Peace, Mr. Pappas.

Hopefully you are enjoying the happy hunting grounds already.

Posts: 10511 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 460 wby shooter
posted Hide Post
RIP

Posts: 817 | Location: jimtown ND | Registered: 21 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
RIP Cal. You will be missed.

Posts: 817 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CHIPB
posted Hide Post
To say that I am dismayed to hear this news would be an understatement. Met Cal several years ago at SCI in Reno. We handled some 4 Bores and 600 NE’s. Bought all of his books, and gratefully accepted his help in getting my 8 Bore up and running. I think Cal had an ex wife, but no kids that I’m aware of. He was too young to go. RIP Cal.

Posts: 268 | Location: TUCSON, AZ | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal was a great guy and this is a huge loss to the DR community. I enjoy rereading his books on doubles. He was a man who truly enjoyed his passion. He will be remembered.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP Cal.

Posts: 1887 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
This is such sad news, and so sudden! Very sorry to hear this.

RIP, Cal.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13353 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KMG Hunting Safaris
posted Hide Post
RIP Cal. Very sad news.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Cell, Whats App, Signal + 27 82 8205387
E-mail: info@huntsafaris.co.za
Check us out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kmghuntingsafaris
Instagram: @kmg_hunting_safaris

Posts: 1362 | Location: Eastern Cape | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a gut-punch! I met Cal in 2010 at the SCI Show where was doing a signing for his 600NE book. There was no one else talking to him, so we had a nice chat, and I bought his book. He invited me to visit him at his place in Alaska and shoot some of his doubles, which I did later that year. I stayed at his place in Willow for two days and found him to be knowledgeable, opinionated, and a raconteur par excellance! His fitness was off the chart, with a well-used weight room in his basement and miles of Alaska all around. When the weather permitted, he would collect his shotgun and his Labrador and do twice daily two-hour walks. His words of encouragement helped me through multiple knee replacement surgeries and the adjustment to insulin dependent diabetes, as he was a veteran of both. Indeed, he was too young to leave, but he is now in a place where the elephants all are 100 pounders, the moose have 70+ antlers, and the caribou all have double shovels. RIP, old friend, I look forward to the caribou hunt we never were able to do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spoke to Mr. Cal often. Just spoke to him after Christmas.

He helped me research my Greener. A very sad loss to us. I great gain to him.

Posts: 10677 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
Wow. Just talked to him a little while ago. Must have been very sudden as he was leaving on a Safari on the 25th.

RIP Cal.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
I don't know what to say. I didn't give him a call since returning from our road trip. We usually would check in with him so we could get together. I saw on FB he was recently at a local high school graduation last week. I had no hint he was unwell in any way.

He will be missed by many including Joyce and me. Cal had a foggy recollection of Joyce shooting his four bore. He bragged on her often and she just played along.

I got to meet quite a few AR people, including international at the Double Rifle shoots he would organize.

Damn

Shocked

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7586 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One oF kind, They dont make,em like that anymore, God bless and good hunting in the Happy hunting grounds. Tell Mr. Bell hello for me...God bless.
Ray

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41782 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP Cal Pappas, May you carry your .600 wherever you are in your next life. Your books on doubles will live on here and many double Enthuisiast will treasure your knowledge.

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS

Posts: 108 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 03 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rest In Peace cal.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Taken too soon. Rest in peace Cal.

Mike

Posts: 21129 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear this...

RIP my friend!

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Wow! A complete shocker! RIP Cal! You will be missed here on AR! Frowner