THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Boddington on Rifle reliability and the PH-Ian Gibson incident.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boddington on Rifle reliability and the PH-Ian Gibson incident.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PLEASE:
- Can some gentleman post the article here
- And an photo of the rifle from Ian

Thank you.
O.

One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
Life on this forum is much more enjoyable if you'll use the ignore feature when you identify an idiot.
Mr. Jines, kudos to you for showing such restraint.

Posts: 400 | Location: Here | Registered: 13 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would ask that folks NOT quote Trax so those of us that have him on ignore will not see his posts inserted into your posts....thank you. Big Grin

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post

donttroll

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Ferrall:

Sitting behind our keyboards, it is easy to forget the conditions faced by people in Africa-not too many Wal-Marts in Northern Zim. .

I think the above quote hits the nail on the head! It is easy to Monday morning quarterback while sitting in your den where you are safe and give direction as to what should have been done or not done!

Ian Gibson was a very experienced PH who was almost killed many years ago by a cape buffalo that simply just didn’t stop to shots well placed. Even if his rifle had never jammed is not evidence that this was his fault. No matter what causes a rifle to malfunction there is always a FIRST TIME for it to happen. Maybe this was simply the first time for Ian’s rifle, and it was just the very bad luck with it happening at that moment.

Even if the rifle did this occasionally, it would be hard to get it fixed in the middle of nowhere! I doubt however that was the case, and the first shot was a warning, and a short shift could have been the problem, but whatever the case we lost a very good man, and a kangaroo court manned by a bunch of desk jockeys here is not helpful to his family .

…………………Ian Rest in peace! CRYBABY

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

Sitting behind our keyboards, it is easy to forget the conditions faced by people in Africa-not too many Wal-Marts in Northern Zim. .

I think the above quote hits the nail on the head! It is easy to Monday morning quarterback while sitting in your den where you are safe and give direction as to what should have been done or not done!

Ian Gibson was a very experienced PH who was almost killed many years ago by a cape buffalo that simply just didn’t stop to shots well placed. Even if his rifle had never jammed is not evidence that this was his fault. No matter what causes a rifle to malfunction there is always a FIRST TIME for it to happen. Maybe this was simply the first time for Ian’s rifle, and it was just the very bad luck with it happening at that moment.

Even if the rifle did this occasionally, it would be hard to get it fixed in the middle of nowhere! I doubt however that was the case, and the first shot was a warning, and a short shift could have been the problem, but whatever the case we lost a very good man, and a kangaroo court manned by a bunch of desk jockeys here is not helpful to his family .

…………………Ian Rest in peace! CRYBABY

None of this helps anything. In fact the origin of the thread is in rather poor taste.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
If you search troll in the thesaurus...Trax comes up as a synonym. donttroll

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36553 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
As before, shit happens to best of us in myriad of situations.
Even this accident is good to discuss, so we learn before next time we go to Africa and that includes clients and PH's.
Larry pointed one good example, run every cartridge through your gun before you go.
PH's are the front line and I admire them. Tough deal, nobody's fault and people pointing fingers are pimps.
In the end, nothing wrong to dissect the situation in normal way so we can all learn.
Thanks CB.

Trax, Trax, sometimes you don't know when to quit... do you?

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

For all those people emotionally upset for Boddingtons article to global readers detailing IGs death,
Ask yourself:

-How many times did you purposely view the media outlets release of the filmed
gun murders of the reporter & camera-man in Virginia?
_
-Why would such a close-up intimate video of those peoples tragic murders interest you,

Why do people find it OK for themselves to gawk at actual close-up murders released on video,
but a written article or post detailing more of IGs death upsets them.

Why the double standards and hypocrisy?

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No matter what causes a rifle to malfunction there is always a FIRST TIME for it to happen.
Maybe this was simply the first time for Ian’s rifle,...

CB reported that IGs rifle jammed on a previous Leopard hunt, putting IG out of action as the cat attacked,
and being most fortunate that someone else was able to fire theirs to stop a mauling.

Since CBs article is addressing the importance of having a reliable rifle for hunting,
he specifically cited the IG incident to indicate what can tragicically happen when your rifle is not reliable.

Anyone that knowingly carries an unreliable rifle into the field on DG, is setting themselves up for trouble
or worse, serious tragedy.

The ultimate responsibility rests with the owner of a rifle to ensure he has in his hand, a proper safe & reliable firearm.
Even more so when one has the professional duty & responsibilty to protect the lives of others put in their care.

IF a cab or truck company or airline didn't maintain its equipment safe & reliable, resulting in death of oneself or family member,
one would rightfully put the fault on them and likely sue their ass-OFF for being irresponsible & negligent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
donttroll

Trax....enough now.. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Same song, second verse, donttroll

Mike

Posts: 21210 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
We said good-bye in Marina Del Rey! wave Trax!

donttroll

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36553 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
donttroll

Let it go

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

donttroll

Exactly! I'm amazed and disappointed that there are people who actually take the bait every time he posts.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know I am supposed to ignore this thread, but I can not help it. That is FREAKING funny!!!!!!

Posts: 259 | Location: Marietta, Georgia | Registered: 04 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see Trixie is talking to himself again, the classless twit.

Bob

Posts: 2989 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 12 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been out of town, but read this post and decided NOT to respond,but have changed my mind. The story about Ian Gibson's rifle jamming on the elephant tragedy, or on a previous leopard are both inaccurate at best, and simply a lie
( told on purpose or out of ignorance I do not know) at worst. One of our Chifuti PH's, along with one of my cameramen who was not filming the hunt, but was with another client in the valley, were the first on the scene. Robert, Gibbo's tracker of over 20 years was the ONLY person there during the attack. Period. We talked to Robert, and he said Gibbo simply waited too long to shoot the charging bull, trying to scream it down to avoid shooting. A thing he has successfully done hundreds of times in his career. He had one shot at the brain as the bull lowered his head, a difficult shot as the brain is moving violently, forget the bush smashing down toward you. He did not make the brain shot, and it was then too late. There was NO rifle jam according to Robert. Boddington called our office, talked to my partner wanting details, and received a very shot, non detailed report. I am disappointed, but not surprised, to hear the inaccurate, and graphic account of our brothers last moments, but gory details sell magazines and editors like that kind of copy, feelings be damned. I have turned down countless interviews and requests for me to write paid articles, as folks thought, and correctly so, that our office would be the best source for details on Ian's death. I turned each down. The only thing I did was post my account of the news on AR, and write a tribute style piece for DSC Gametrails summer issue. It was about Gibbo's LIFE, not his death. I will not get into a more drawn out discussion. The people that wish to spread mis information and throw accusations at Ian Gibson can do as they please. I frankly do not give a good Goddamn about them, and could not care about their thoughts or reasons. Gibbo was no fool. In fact, he was unquestionable the most experienced PH left in his beloved Zambezi Vally. I wrote this to let those of you who's opinion matters to me know the truth.To hell with the rest...

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Well written Dave- thanks. I keep thinking ignorance is curable - not so much with stupidity.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of T.J.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Fulson:
...I am disappointed, but not surprised, to hear the inaccurate, and graphic account of our brothers last moments, but gory details sell magazines and editors like that kind of copy, feelings be damned....

So very sad, but so very true. I won't be partaking in the consumption of the trash that Dave is talking about, and I'm continually sorry for all of Ian's friends and family that has to be exposed to it.

Is it so hard to just be a decent human being?

Posts: 160 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 31 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
The best measure of the man . . . Gibbo cast a broad shadow and enjoyed the respect of his peers in the professional hunting community. The antithesis of those that seek to profit or incite controversy over a tragedy.

Mike

Posts: 21210 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave. We all know Trax is a shit stirring troll but I have lost most, if not all, respect and trust for Boddington. He seems to be in a constant downward spiral. The sad thing is, it is all of his own making. Everything that has happened, has happened due to his own decisions and actions. Sad.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trax is human scum - ar would be greatly served by banning him.

Craig Boddington work product speaks for his very low sensationalist standard - will leave it at that.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the clarification. Shit happens
quote:
I have been out of town, but read this post and decided NOT to respond,but have changed my mind. The story about Ian Gibson's rifle jamming on the elephant tragedy, or on a previous leopard are both inaccurate at best, and simply a lie
( told on purpose or out of ignorance I do not know) at worst. One of our Chifuti PH's, along with one of my cameramen who was not filming the hunt, but was with another client in the valley, were the first on the scene. Robert, Gibbo's tracker of over 20 years was the ONLY person there during the attack. Period. We talked to Robert, and he said Gibbo simply waited too long to shoot the charging bull, trying to scream it down to avoid shooting. A thing he has successfully done hundreds of times in his career. He had one shot at the brain as the bull lowered his head, a difficult shot as the brain is moving violently, forget the bush smashing down toward you. He did not make the brain shot, and it was then too late. There was NO rifle jam according to Robert. Boddington called our office, talked to my partner wanting details, and received a very shot, non detailed report. I am disappointed, but not surprised, to hear the inaccurate, and graphic account of our brothers last moments, but gory details sell magazines and editors like that kind of copy, feelings be damned. I have turned down countless interviews and requests for me to write paid articles, as folks thought, and correctly so, that our office would be the best source for details on Ian's death. I turned each down. The only thing I did was post my account of the news on AR, and write a tribute style piece for DSC Gametrails summer issue. It was about Gibbo's LIFE, not his death. I will not get into a more drawn out discussion. The people that wish to spread mis information and throw accusations at Ian Gibson can do as they please. I frankly do not give a good Goddamn about them, and could not care about their thoughts or reasons. Gibbo was no fool. In fact, he was unquestionable the most experienced PH left in his beloved Zambezi Vally. I wrote this to let those of you who's opinion matters to me know the truth.To hell with the rest...

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

The above quote from Dave Fulson is information from the only source that eye witnessed what actually happened! Now the Kangaroo court can rest their case!

Very well put with your last comment in bold above!

.................................................................... tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Saddens me to read all this crap. Especially the gory, and probably made-up details of the final moments - something I prayed didn't happen the moment I heard about it. Ian was a friend of mine. Thanks again Dave for commenting.

There was a time when no one with any class at all spoke no ill the dead, even their enemies. Some ancient cultures refuse to even speak the name of the passed. But we're so "evolved" now. Not.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I met Gibbo a couple of times in the Zambezi. His status amongst his peers was legendary.
I remember the daily radio comms. of the various PH's asking his advice on any number of things.

He was one of the most experienced PH'S in the Zambezi valley without question.

Shit happened on that fateful day, as has been told now on AR by the people who really know the circumstances.
Please lets all let this go ,and let Gibbo RIP.

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Collector:
I know I am supposed to ignore this thread, but I can not help it. That is FREAKING funny!!!!!!

Don't feel bad man, cause many people from AR happily responded to world news sensation headlines to watch the live filmed
brutal savage gun murder of two media staff.

They were primarily attracted to it hoping to graphically see two people cold hearted and callously murdered!

Im sure they also eagerly read the recent worldwide media headlines grim death details of how person put 14 rounds into a Texas LEO.

But those same people are now outraged and claiming sensitivty to some short grim detail published
in an out-of-the-way/back page article in RifleShooter.............go figure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

enough is enough. You need to let it go...

PH's have a difficult time with dangerous big game. Shooting is always a bad last resort. Saving other people's lives is the only reason to shoot.
Regardless, of the actual circumstances, we have lost a great man, and one of Africa's legendary PH's.

Rest In Peace. We are diminished...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This asshole Trax keeps responding, despite the fact he is discussing the death of a personal friend to many on AR.

RIP Ian.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
This asshole Trax keeps responding, despite the fact he is discussing the death of a personal friend to many on AR.

RIP Ian.

Just use the "IGNORE" function here for people like Trax. If everyone used it, then no one would see their posts! It does improve the AR experience!

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the ignore function is your friend......

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
Picture of emron
posted Hide Post
A little tasteless of CB to go into gory, imagined details when he really has no first hand idea of what happened?
I guess that is what sells books!

Posts: 396 | Location: usa | Registered: 26 October 2008Reply With Quote